• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Booking Private Alburges

Mysticl

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances May (2015) - pending
Hi all, a little advice please :)

My husband and I are walking the Frances starting on May 5. I have requested a reservation at Beilari for the previous evening and am booked into Orrison for the 5th. I understand there is no need to book Roncesvalles and I have no intention of doing so ... lots of room and fairly early in the season BUT beyond that I have no idea. My intention is a little different from some. I have more or less unlimited time .. limited only in how things are going so we are taking things slow (at least to start) I will walk each day to my ability ... that might be only 6 km or it might be 20+ km ... no idea yet where my limit lies but I am starting to compile a list of possible places to stay in various potential stopping points (some off the recommended stage lists) and I was wondering DO I need reservations for the more popular private alburges if we choose to stay at some along the way. There are a few I would love to stay at but since I have no idea how far I am able to walk daily i have no way to know when I am going to arrive ... makes booking a reservation in advance kind of hard.
For instance I understand Corazon Puro in Biskarret is a nice place to stay and I assume it is popular because of that ... is there any chance I might be able to make a reservation the day before arrival or do I need to book WAY in advance to get a bed (or 2) ... not looking for an iron clad guarantee (from the forum anyway) just a little advice on how folks usually manage such things underway ... just call the day ahead and cross your fingers there 's room or should I try and lock in my itinerary a few days ahead and just cross my fingers that I can make it there ok in the time allowed ... that sort of takes some of the spontaneity out of things though which I was sort of looking forward to ... any suggestions/recommendations?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The usual thing is to call the same day while walking. This is normally soon enough and gives you time to know where you want to stop without committing days ahead of time. Keeping it loose and taking it as it comes is always the easiest way. Having a set schedule and worrying about beds and bookings are really like "normal" life.....and not the adventure you expect from the Camino.
Be bold...:cool:

Corazon Puro is a pension house (pensiones) and not an albergue. They do have a website and you should be able to check availability there as well as make a reservation.
You are walking the Camino pretty early in the season and should have no difficulty finding room in private albergues along the Way.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Mysticl, for the most part, you can use booking.com, or a phone list for finding a place one or two days ahead. Assuming you have a web device with you.
As for places like Corazon Puro, you may want to book as far in advance as practical. Or at least exchange emails with them.
CP is popular due to the owners and how welcome they make you feel. It is very small (3 private rooms, I recall), with one shared bath.
But you'll not forget your time there.
Same is true for some other places. I mean, it is the experience and the people rather than the facilities that makes for a popular place.

But in general, if you will find a private place for the next day without much problem.

Heh .. sorry Mark and thanks for your reply ... I am still a little unfamiliar with the many type of accomodation available. Still learning...even after all my time lurking here I never actually paid much attention to accomodation posts up until now ... with our departure date looming it suddenly seemed more important ... LOL

Heh .. sorry Mark and thanks for your reply ... I am still a little unfamiliar with the many type of accomodation available. Still learning...even after all my time lurking here I never actually paid much attention to accomodation posts up until now ... with our departure date looming it suddenly seemed more important ... LOL
Also a couple of the guidebooks list accommodations in each town along the Camino Frances, which includes pension houses, hotels, private and municipal albergues etc and telephone numbers. Kinda gives you an idea what to expect in each town and plan accordingly.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Mysticl, my projected plans for this year (which have had to be postponed courtesy of illness and doctor's orders until 2016) were/are pretty much the same, and on the same dates, as yours for the first few days.

My intention was to arrive at Pamplona (by train from the UK in my case) to be met by the kind folk of Corazon Puro and spend the first night with them.

Then, the next day, to be transported by them to SJPdP to pre-booked accommodation.
Next night, for me, Valcarlos, again pre-booked.
Then La Posada at Roncevalles, ditto about pre-booking
Then the last of the pre-booked rooms at Corazon Puro.

That means I will have a relatively short distance (total 35k) to walk for the first few days.

Thereafter I will let my body, happenstance and the Camino tell me how far to walk and where to stay.

Hi Bystander ... so sorry to hear you had to delay your trip until next year. We are more alike than you realize ! I too had to postpone an earlier trip (actually 2, one for illness and another because my husband delayed his retirement by one year) and I was as disappointed as you probably are, but perseverace pays off and after a health scare and some unexpected life delays we are finally on our "way"
. I hope your plans for 2016 go as smooth ... the Camino will still be waiting :) I think our plans to take it slow through the first week are very sound and it's nice to know other pilgrims agree ... this is a pretty enourmous adventure for me already, I figured I didn't have to turn it into a nightmare by biting off more than I could chew at any one given moment. Besides I want to soak it all in and I can do that better at my own pace rather than chasing the crowds :)

Just a quick post for those who are booking albergues ahead of time. If you happen to book one and can't walk that far or decide to go past it, please call back and cancel your reservation. It will free up more space for weary Pilgrims and ensure that the owners are not being left with empty beds. I can not tell you how many empty beds we saw last fall with reservations signs on them. And call as soon as you realize this won't be where you are laying your head.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Yes, I saw this a couple of years ago too, though the beds were eventually filled by cyclists and very late pilgrims arriving after 6 as this was July and August. Perhaps more albergues could join something like booking.com so they are covered.
It's a problem that's not going to just go away though until it can be publicized much more.

I booked a place in a number of private albergues in advance for the first week that I was going to be on on the Camino. This was more because I wasn't sure what to expect in terms of how quickly albergues would fill up, and I tend to be an inveterate planner when it comes to my overseas trips. As it turned out, I would have been able to find a place each day without any trouble. After the first week I was able to let go of my anxieties and trust that I would be able to find a place each night.

Having said that, if you've heard of a particularly good private albergue and want to be sure of a place, booking in advance is a good idea, as they tend to fill up quicker than other albergues. My personal recommendations would be El Palo de Avellano in Zubiri and Casa de la Abuela in Los Arcos. The latter in particularly was full by mid-afternoon.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back