• Update: The images and attachemnets are now back, we are generating new thumbnails.... (this takes time with 20 years of photos). I know the notification icon gives an error. That error should be gone within an hour or two. Sorry again! Ivar
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Booking return tickets on the Camino

Pilgrim Drew

Hey everyone in Vilar de Mazarife at the minute, got the whole place to myself. I was speaking with an Australian man earlier who told me how expensive the flights were from Santiago to London with Ryanair. I checked and he was right they are something like 150euro. I checked the day after I should arrive in Santiago and for some reason they are only 48euro.

I am just wondering if there is anywhere that is safe to book tickets from and use my card. A printer would also be needed. I hear there is somewhere in Santiago but that is approx 11 days away and the prices may change by then. So does anyone know of anywhere along the stages I am set to walk? I head to Astorga tomorrow. I am sceptical about using the albergue computers as they seem so glitchy, god knows what spyware etc they have infested on them

I will check back for a reply in a day or so.

Thank you.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Pilgrim Drew

Can you get someone at home to book it for you to avoid any computer threats? Even if that meant them sending you your boarding card by email you could print it off in Santiago. There's a big internet cafe 10 mins walk from the cathedral.

If the difference in price between flying on different days of the week is 100 Euros it could be worth spending an extra day or so in Santiago if necessary and if you have time. I pay 23 Euros a night for a private room in the seminary down the side of the Cathedral. Better to spend the money on that than putting it into Ryanair's coffers, in my opinion. It's also nice just to enjoy the place and the chance meetings with people you know from along the Way.

If you find flight prices are really escalating, check the Vueling flight from La Coruna to Heathrow. It's 45 minutes from Santiago to La Coruna on a nice, modern train and costs about 7 Euros. It probably won't work out cheaper overall if you're going straight to the Midlands, but worth checking, especially if you're planning to spend any time in London.

Edit: I've just had a quick look on t'interweb, and booking about a week in advance would cost about £65 from La Coruna to Heathrow. If you book on Expedia it appears to cost more than on Vueling's own website, but I think that includes baggage.

Keith

Drew,

Glad to hear of your progress.

Keith's advice is sound. The Internet cafe BBIGG on RUA SENRA, 13, 15702 Santiago de Compostela, Spain is one I have used several times and they do printing.

Your booking with Ryanair can also be directly accessed via the Internet. I have no reason to doubt BBIGG's security systems.

They are well used by locals and they have been there for some years now. The tourist office at Rua de Vilar recommend them and they will give you a map to show you where it is. It is a short walk from the office to the cafe. The cafe keeps long opening hours.

Burger King is almost next door and I have re-entered "civilisation" by using both!

If you can't organise this then public libraries often have Internet facilities. If you are too late for Astorga you will go through Ponferrada.

If you find a librarian who speaks English you may be in luck.

At Palas de Rei I found a travel shop where they booked my flight for me and charged me 5€.

If you need to stay an extra day or two and money is tight remember that Monte de Gozo is 5€ per night and the bus fare is 1€ each way from the city. The tourist office will tell where to catch the bus both ways. If the 23€ is ok, then Keith's suggestion is a good one though the Tourist Office (again) will tell you where else is available in SdC.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Drew:

I usually wait until I am about a week away from Santiago and I can predict a bit more accurately my return date. I make my reservation at that time and then print out my boarding at my hotel when I get to Santiago. The prices do fluctuate quite a bit the closer you get to your departure date.

I have been following your blog and you are doing great.

Ultreya,
Joe

If you are concerned about buying tickets or doing banking transactions online from an unknown computer, Google PORTABLE CHROME, download the free portable application to a pendrive, and take the pendrive on the Camino. To use the application just stick the pendrive into any USB port -- no need to install it. This way you use your own browser and when you remove the pendrive no confidential information is left in the computer.

Buy a 16Gb pendrive, it costs about 20 euros and you can also use to carry PDFs (maps), docs etc and backup your Camino photos as your memory card fills up...

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Bromeliad

Yes it does. The seminary has been converted into a nice hotel, but the top floor has basic rooms for pilgrims. The entrance, reception, and dining area are the same for all guests.

I was there last month and the cost was 23 Euros including breakfast.

Keith

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back