• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Booking Roncesvalles ahead

Joodle

Time of past OR future Camino
CF May 10th- June 21st 2016
VDLP March-April 2017
CF coming up April-May
Does it cost a lot more to book ahead at Roncesvalles? What does it cost for a bed, dinner and breakfast? I'm confused with the the reservation page. Thanks for info.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Does it cost a lot more to book ahead at Roncesvalles? What does it cost for a bed, dinner and breakfast? I'm confused with the the reservation page. Thanks for info.
I was seeing different prices on the reservation page. (really, I'm not an idiot)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi, Joodle. No, it doesn't cost any more to book ahead, but you have a choice of booking just a bed, or a bed + dinner, or a bed + breakfast, or a bed + dinner and breakfast. Booking just a bed is 12 Euro.

Personally, I like the bed + dinner option... the breakfast is hit or miss so I skip it and get breakfast in Burguete after about a 4km walk the next morning.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Where are you trying to book. There are 3 or 4 different accommodation options.
I just want to get two beds in the Albergue for april 27th with dinner. I was on the reservation system and it was saying different charges for dinner and breakfast. I'm normally astute! I guess I cant say that anymore!:rolleyes:

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I just want to get two beds in the Albergue for april 27th with dinner. I was on the reservation system and it was saying different charges for dinner and breakfast. I'm normally astute! I guess I cant say that anymore!:rolleyes:

There is a space to choose the number of beds you want to reserve, then below that are selections so that you can choose only the accommodations or select meal options.

I had issues booking my nights accom plus dinner and breakfast for 4 on our first night with my aussie credit card so I contacted them and they offered a paypal option for an extra 2.80 euros which I took up and was super easy.

They were very helpful and answered me right away, though I did wrtte my email in both spanish and english, which I know is an advantage.

€149,-
Hello fellow pilgrims. I noticed that when trying to reserve at this albergue, the address bar states "not secure" Has anyone had any issues reserving online?

Screen Shot 2019-01-03 at 11.27.15 PM.png

Personally, I like the bed + dinner option... the breakfast is hit or miss so I skip it and get breakfast in Burguete after about a 4km walk the next morning.
I agree, the breakfast was disappointing, and I learned that I prefer to walk a bit before I eat.
You can probably reserve and pay for a bed, then add the dinner option once you are there.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
interesting to hear that the dinner and breakfast are not great, I decided to risk it on the basis that we might be dog tired and that we woudl not be in a routine to seekout supermercados for supplies.

After Roncesvalles, we will endeavour to stock up on snacks and supples and try the early morning start and cafe con leche and bizcocho breakfast on the road.

Hi, Joodle. No, it doesn't cost any more to book ahead, but you have a choice of booking just a bed, or a bed + dinner, or a bed + breakfast, or a bed + dinner and breakfast. Booking just a bed is 12 Euro.

Thanks again

The breakfast wasn't very exciting, the usual toast, oj and coffee, but I like to get a cup or two of coffee in my system before walking anywhere, so it was worth it to me.
Dinner was just ok. Not the best, but not that bad either. Was too tired to really care.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Consider walking down to nearby Burguete for breakfast. There is only one church, next to it is a small plaza and at the back of the plaza a GREAT cafe/bar which is open early every morning and very pilgrim friendly. Within their complex is the local fronton court. I have always stopped here on my way down from Roncesvalles. If is still dark as you leave Roncesvalles be sure to wear or carry your head torch.

Can I ask please, is it advisable to book for Roncesvalles? We'll be setting off from SJPP on 28 April.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Can I ask please, is it advisable to book for Roncesvalles? We'll be setting off from SJPP on 28 April.
That's when my friend Katy and I will be heading to Roncesvalles!!We will see you on the hill!! I have been trying to make a reservation, but their money system won't accept my visa debit or my major credit card. Anybody know the trick?

That's when my friend Katy and I will be heading to Roncesvalles!!We will see you on the hill!! I have been trying to make a reservation, but their money system won't accept my visa debit or my major credit card. Anybody know the trick?
Hi Joodle
Roncevalles accepts payments using
Mastercard - apparently they don't use Visa.

€149,-
I noticed that too, hence my contacting them for a paypal address, that way I am covered by paypal protection.
cheers
Alex
Thanks, I will try that. I used both these cards when I was on the VDLP last year, no problems

Hi Joodle. Yes, hopefully see you there. We're excited and nervous!

It is advisable. Although most times there will be plenty of bed space, I have seen pilgrims turned away during popular walking seasons.
Ok, thanks. Looks like we'd better book.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks all - booked the Albergue using the link above and google translate. Payment page could be translated using a drop down link.

Booked the bed and dinner option only based on the comments so will try and get breakfast at the suggested place in town.

Arriving from St JPdP on the 5 May this year!

Hi Joodle

Their site would not take my Visa or Mastercard so I emailed them at info@alberguederoncesvalles.com in both Spanish and English about the problem. Their contact person, Edurne Echeverria Garcia, sent me a PayPal link to pay. PayPal charges the albergue an administrative cost which they pass on to you. It's only a few additional euros. I hope this helps.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Joodle

Thanks, I don't have a Mastercard. I guess we will just have to take our chances.
Their site would not take my Visa or Mastercard so I emailed them at info@alberguederoncesvalles.com in both Spanish and English about the problem. Their contact person, Edurne Echeverria Garcia, sent me a PayPal link to pay. PayPal charges the albergue an administrative cost which they pass on to you. It's only a few additional euros. I hope this helps.
Thanks. I was able to pay via PayPal.

I was able to send a PayPal payment to the email address of eduretxebe@hotmail.com Her name is Edurne Echeverria Garcia I didn't get a link for PayPal, I just signed in to my account and sent a payment to her email address. It went through and shows her full name.

I was able to send a PayPal payment to the email address of eduretxebe@hotmail.com Her name is Edurne Echeverria Garcia I didn't get a link for PayPal, I just signed in to my account and sent a payment to her email address. It went through and shows her full name.
Thanks Joodle. I'll try that.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks Joodle. I'll try that.
I put a little note on the PayPal site that said it was for 2 women and what date and that we were adding meals. They charge 1.5 euros each because it costs them to use oayPal

Hey Pilgrims, I'm interested in booking this place for June 14th. Would booking a month or 2 in advance be ok, too soon or too late?

I put a little note on the PayPal site that said it was for 2 women and what date and that we were adding meals. They charge 1.5 euros each because it costs them to use oayPal
Ok, thanks

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I see on their website that they say that sleeping bags are necessary. I will be going in early April and do not really wan t to carry one, especially over the mountains! I think I read somewhere that the albergue does sell backpacks. Can anyone confirm this with details? Gracias!

I think you will want to have a sleeping bag in April eveywhere you stay. There is not usually any heat in the albergues. Find a light one.

This is a very helpful thread...although we aren't going until late September, I was wondering whether I needed to book anything in advance, so this answers my question...

One other thing though - is this the only one that you really should book or are there others? I was under the impression that you just turned up and you would generally find a bed...have I got that wrong?

If you're going in late September there is probably no need to book at Roncesvalles. Most of the Albergue beds are not bookable.

As for anywhere else? It's anyone's guess. If you're in a pilgrim wave you'll have to fight for every bed, if you're a day behind or a day in front you might be lonely.

There are endless threads on this topic all leading to several contradictory conclusions. My suggestion, wait till you are walking. Consider booking ahead if you think you may be ending your day in a place with limited accommodation or anywhere which appears on all those "best" lists ;0)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
If you're going in late September there is probably no need to book at Roncesvalles. Most of the Albergue beds are not bookable.

As for anywhere else? It's anyone's guess. If you're in a pilgrim wave you'll have to fight for every bed, if you're a day behind or a day in front you might be lonely.

There are endless threads on this topic all leading to several contradictory conclusions. My suggestion, wait till you are walking. Consider booking ahead if you think you may be ending your day in a place with limited accommodation or anywhere which appears on all those "best" lists ;0)

This past September 19, I arrived to the sight of dozens of pilgrims being turned away. The Hospitaleiras (sp) were busy arranging taxis and other transportation to lodgings in the next villages. I had a reservation, so I was checked in quickly. I don't know if Sept 19 would be 'late' September, though. :)

Many thanks for sharing this information. I'm booked for Roncesvalles!!! Whooppeee!!!

The Visa card must be the problem. I've emailed them for a PayPal link.
Thanks for this thread.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Roncevalles accepts payments using Mastercard - apparently they don't use Visa.
They do accept Visa and many people pay their reservation by Visa but the bank that issues your Visa card must activate an additional security feature called Verified by Visa. I think this is standard in Europe but not everywhere else. Hence the problem that some people have.

Another common problem with the website occurs when people have automatic translation activated in their browser. You need to choose English as your langue from the website‘s menu option.

As to the website not being „secure“ - the payment process is super secure as you are directed to the payment server which is separate from the albergue‘s server. No need to worry. Use email and PayPal if all else fails but in general the booking and payment goes smoothly for the majority of users of the Roncesvalles website.

Last edited:
The payment system for booking at the Roncesvalles albergue accepts Visa, Mastercard and American Express as well as Maestro cards (debit cards that are very common in Europe).

If you use one of these brands and can’t make it work, you need to email info@alberguederoncesvalles.com or use their contact page and they will send you details on how to pay by PayPal - it will cost a little extra. All contact details are on the albergue‘s website.

Last edited:
So I haven't had a reply to my email. Can someone give me their Facebook info? Thanks.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thank you. On my phone, that address didn't come up on a Facebook search, so I appreciate the hot link!

All right. I called my card services, which did some additional verification on their end and then my Visa was accepted on their website. Whew!

€149,-
I appreciate your feedback :).

More often than not, we hear about the problem but not about the solution. 😊
I saw some people saying the site doesn't take Visa, so it seemed important to say that at least some of the time, it does.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I'm walking in mid June this year and have booked at Orisson after leaving St Jean. I'm a bit put off by the size of the dorms in Roncevalles so am considering walking from Orisson to Espinal on the second day. Considering the terrain, would this be reasonable to achieve and if so, approximately how long would it take on average?

I'm walking in mid June this year and have booked at Orisson after leaving St Jean. I'm a bit put off by the size of the dorms in Roncevalles so am considering walking from Orisson to Espinal on the second day. Considering the terrain, would this be reasonable to achieve and if so, approximately how long would it take on average?

Hi, Has anyone got any advice on this query please?

Hi, Has anyone got any advice on this query please?

Well, no one knows what your actual physical capabilities or fitness levels are, what your pace is, or a number of other things that determine how far one can go over what time period. For instance, having twice done SJPdP to Roncesvalles over one day, I could have extended that distance to Espinal rather than stopping in Roncesvalles.

I really enjoyed staying at the alburgue both times. I especially was feeling blessed with the Pilgrim's Mass at the chapel. I enjoyed the dinner, but skipped their offered breakfast and ate breakfast in Burgette instead.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Well, no one knows what your actual physical capabilities or fitness levels are, what your pace is, or a number of other things that determine how far one can go over what time period. For instance, having twice done SJPdP to Roncesvalles over one day, I could have extended that distance to Espinal rather than stopping in Roncesvalles.

I really enjoyed staying at the alburgue both times. I especially was feeling blessed with the Pilgrim's Mass at the chapel. I enjoyed the dinner, but skipped their offered breakfast and ate breakfast in Burgette instead.

Thanks for your reply Dave -it sounds like Espinal may be an option then, as I will only be walking from Orisson that day. I am in my 60's but have reasonable fitness level and can comfortably cope with 25km or so, but I was a bit concerned at how difficult the terrain was (especially what some have said about the steep downhill sections). The fact that you could have extended from SJPdP to Espinal gives me confidence in tackling Orisson to Espinal. Thanks

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back