• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Booking rooms in advance

Bear

Time of past OR future Camino
Past: Camino Frances 2012.
Future: Camino Frances 2020
Hello everyone,
I'm walking the Camino Frances with my wife in early June and want to ensure that we are able to stay in our preferred accommodation so plan to book ahead.
I understand that any number of unforeseen circumstances may lead to the plans being disrupted but as the vast majority of what I'm booking has no cancellation fees, as long as I let them know a day or so in advance, I'm not at much financial risk.
Just wondering from those of you who have booked rooms in advance, how far ahead you booked?
Many thanks.
PS. having walked the Camino Frances previously, I have no concerns over getting a bed and am only booking ahead so I can get the accommodation that we want.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hello Bear.
Depends on where you are starting and ending. If you know when you plan to start and when you plan to arrive in Santiago I would book those now, June is a very popular time to walk. Really depends on your comfort level and how important getting your preferred accommodation is to you. Some people book a night or 2 ahead, some plan a week or so ahead, while others prebook months ahead. If there are just 2 of you, there is a little more flexibility than if you were a larger group. I have just finished booking for our group of 7 for a Sept Camino on a route with more limited accommodation options

Hello everyone,
I'm walking the Camino Frances with my wife in early June and want to ensure that we are able to stay in our preferred accommodation so plan to book ahead.
I understand that any number of unforeseen circumstances may lead to the plans being disrupted but as the vast majority of what I'm booking has no cancellation fees, as long as I let them know a day or so in advance, I'm not at much financial risk.
Just wondering from those of you who have booked rooms in advance, how far ahead you booked?
Many thanks.
PS. having walked the Camino Frances previously, I have no concerns over getting a bed and am only booking ahead so I can get the accommodation that we want.

I have already booked my rooms for 2021!
The sooner you book, the less you will pay.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I already made all my bookings for 19 days in August – actually, I did it about a month ago.

I agree, there is not much financial risk and not much “restriction of freedom” compared to booking one or a few days in advance while on the way, when you can cancel without a fee up to one or two days before the booking.

I'm bringing two friends (both in their early 60s) to Camino for the first time for two weeks this upcoming June. Even the possibility of a daily bed race in June is not on the agenda.

To answer your direct question, I've already booked either a room or bunks for the entire trip in private albergues/hostels, all of them with free cancellation to within a few days of the reservation date. For my friends, there's the additional benefit of knowing in advance the exact cost of accommodations for budgeting purposes.

I've done it both ways in the past: the thrill of the unknown can be fun, but it's also good to eliminate that unknown and enjoy some breaks along the way while drinking coffee or beer and having good conversations with folks.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Did the CF last Sept/Oct. and, for the most part, booked rooms two to three days ahead, except for the first three nights, which i booked before making the trip. Never had any problems, though it may be busier in June.

My wife and I walked the Frances in March of 2018 and booked rooms 1/2 way through before we left. Once we got there we tried to book 3-4 days out and started running into difficulty and eventually booked the entire way to Finisterre from Leon (all 25k and less days).
On the Via Francigena and the Norte we booked the entire trip in advance on Booking which took a lot of planning. We know how far we want to walk every day and plan our trip around that. We do all refundable rates and if something happens (Which thank God never did) we planned to skip stages.
We now use the Camino as a vacation and like to have the stress about where to stay taken out of the equation and focus on the walk. Plus when you book private you free up space in the Albergue for those who prefer to do travel in that manner.

I took my husband and grandson in September. My husband wanted his own bathroom, (he is coeliac, and we knew that with the best intentions there may be issues) so I booked the first 5 days before we went. Once we were there we booked 1-2 days ahead for the rest until Samos, where we booked from Sarria onward in one go. It worked out well, sometimes I knew the places and other times I didnt.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I started out my Camino not booking, but after an injury about 2/3 of the way through my Camino, I was advised at the clinic that I could either go home or start sending my pack ahead, so I had to start booking accommodations at that point. I only booked 12-24 hours ahead for the remainder of my pilgrimage and I was fine. Granted, this was in 2015, so things may have changed. I am curious to see when I head back in May how things will differ from my last time out.

Hello everyone,
Many thanks.
When I booked ahead on the Frances it was only the first few days and the last days in Galicia. The first few days I booked quite a bit ahead, probably months. The last days (after Triacastela), I booked a day or two in advance. That was for private albergues. I might have booked four or five days in advance for the parador in Santiago.

Interesting question. I'm walking the camino in 7-10 day stages with a friend. We've booked the whole lot ahead. If we were going for longer I think I would still book the whole thing even though that degree of planning is totally out of character for me! We've got a good understanding of how far we can/want to walk each day and a pretty good idea of what we want to stop and see so it's easy to factor in short days/rest days. Given that we're walking together we're a bit antisocial in terms of camino families and don't feel the need to stop where everyone else is. Main risk is injury or weather issues but (touch wood) we're not likely to get extreme weather or snow when we're walking. I second Booking.com, it might not be the cheapest way of doing things but it makes it a lot easier to keep track of the bookings and the timeline helps make sure you don't cockup the dates :) .

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
We are walking in May/June and although I’m not thrill with the idea of booking early we have begun. we are fin that in some smaller locales everything is already booked and require us to either shorten or lengthen a stage or stay well off the camino (really not good for us). so We have resolved to try to book the entire camino frances. As is almost always pointed out this Really depends on the person, the level of accommodation he/she wants and whether they are okay with adding steps to a day.

Bear, my wife and I have walked CF three times. For the first in 2015, we had very few advance reservations, mostly staying in municipal albergues. For the second in 2017 and third in 2019, we made advance reservations the entire way and never experienced any problems. We have been on a two year cycle of walking the camino, but decided to avoid the crowds in the 2021 Jubilee year, so decided to walk our 4th camino this fall. I made reservations (mostly on Booking.com) last November and a few directly with the private albergue (places we stayed last fall). So we now have firm reservations for private rooms with private bathrooms every night. Bob

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello everyone,
Many thanks.
I always booked hotel rooms in advance because the accommodations do fill up fast during the active hiking months. It takes the uncertainty out of the adventure but at my advanced age I did not want to have to walk to the next village or to the next hoping to find a bed. I book my flight and accommodations anywhere from 4 to 6 months in advance.

I always booked hotel rooms in advance because the accommodations do fill up fast during the active hiking months. It takes the uncertainty out of the adventure but at my advanced age I did not want to have to walk to the next village or to the next hoping to find a bed. I book my flight and accommodations anywhere from 4 to 6 months in advance.
I'm really surprised at how many times I'm getting the last or second last room available for many of the rooms I have booked so far.
Just to add that I could find accommodation at every stage I've looked at so far, just not my chosen accommodation, so no need for others to be concerned.

Hello everyone,
Many thanks.
Hello, Bear I gave walked it three times the last time last April with my daughter. Ten days in she got shin splints and was down to a crawl so to speak so we started booking at private hostels to make sure we got a bed for the night we did this the night before. Seemed to work well, but just one thing they all said please be there by two pm. So I would go on ahead and pay for two beds and then walk back a bit to meet her come up the track. So just consider just how booked you really are because in my view if you were in a place by two pm then there were plenty of beds. Just a thought.
Good luck and God bless. Someone will provide. Never slept on the street yet.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
If you use booking.com you should be OK for a later arrival. They have your credit card number so can charge if you are a no show without canceling.
[/QUOTE

You should be ok???

I was under that impression after reserving with booking and using a credit card!!!

Few days before arriving to my destination I received a note from booking that my reservation was no longer available...

Be very careful... Nothing absolutely nothing protect you! Just a warm feeling that you are reserving with a credit card!

I'm really surprised at how many times I'm getting the last or second last room available for many of the rooms I have booked so far.
Are you talking about the last available room on a booking site? That doesn't mean that there are absolutely no more rooms available in that hostal, pensión, etc. It's just the last room that has been released to that particular booking site. I have called or emailed places that had no availability on booking.com and got a room that way.

€46,-
Thanks for the useful information, everyone! First-timer, starting April 24, sending gear ahead, will be booking ahead as a result. I really appreciate all the input.

Hello everyone,
Many thanks.

I walked in September and October 2016 where I met Alex (now my wife). I hadn't planned any accommodation except St Jean and was planning on just following my nose. Alex on the other hand had planned every albergue/hotel all the way to Santiago. We walk all the way together after day 3 and I have to admit that it was a lot easier having all of the accommodation planned in advance, we just had to confirm each day and it did allow us to relax and take our time lot more whilst walking.
Booking in advance definitely has it's merits but you do lose that sense of spontaneity. If this doesn't matter to you then definitely book in advance to avoid the 'bed race'.
Having said that, I'm going back to walk the Frances again in 4 weeks time with a friend who I also met on the camino in 2016 (also my groomsman) and we are not planning any accommodation except St Jean, Roncevalles (I understand this is a must now) and Zubiri. After that we'll be following our noses and seeing where we end up each day.
Hopefully March will be a lot quieter and will allow us to just fly by the seat of our pants and we do have 48 days to walk the camino. If we need to book in advance we will but hopefully we won't.
Whatever you decide have a great camino and enjoy the planning, it's all part of it and very enjoyable.
Buen Camino

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hello everyone,
Many thanks.
My friend and I walked the last section Sarria to Santiago last May and we booked either one or two days ahead without any problem. Buen Camino

Hello everyone,
Many thanks.
Hi Bear,
I agree it depends on how much Camino your walking. I always book first & last nights and weekend nights if walking over a weekend. The midweek nights we tend to book as we go along , a day in advance. At the minute I'm having difficulty booking somewhere affordable for Bilbao on our last night before we fly home.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello everyone,
Many thanks.
We always book SJPDP and in Santiago. In between, always around Easter as Semana Santa is a favorite walking time for Spaniards. There are many times we take our chances and are usually ok with finding a bed. As we’ve added more Caminos (14 between my husband and me) and years, a private room and bath are desirable but not always available. For this upcoming Camino which begins during the Easter holiday, we’ve reserved the first week.
Buen Camino.

Finally finished booking accommodation including 2 nights in A Coruna to relax before flights home.
Just need to put some more effort into a bit of hill walking once the current storms depart the UK :)

I walked Leon to Santiago in May 2018. I only booked my first night in Leon and last two nights in Santiago in advance. Then I had the freedom to walk as long or as short to distance as I wanted. I am planning to walk Burgos to Leon this May and intend to book the first night and the last night.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello everyone,
Many thanks.
The issue here is not saving a few Euros but in blocking the beds for others.

I am also walking mid June, Astorga to Santiago and have booked accommodations in advance. A few things influenced this decision:
-Prior experiences with having some difficulty making reservations 1-2 nights ahead in July. This was not the norm of the camino but can be a nuisance to deal with at the end of a long day. As someone else said, I would rather spend my evenings reading, reflecting, or talking with new friends.
-I do not speak Spanish. Obviously it is not required to speak Spanish to walk the Camino. But in this particular area, it definitely helps- many places are not on booking.com so you just have to call. On my previous camino, my companion spoke Spanish and was able to call very easily and quickly, get recommendations from people who were full, and feel good that she communicated everything accurately. This would not be the case if I were on my own.
-Since this is my second camino, I have a better understanding of my physical limits and have a better idea of what I will be able to walk. So I have created my own "stages" and planned accordingly.
-I have limited time to walk and want to make it to Santiago. So if I have a day where I can't walk as far because there is nowhere to stay OR I walk further than I planned and need more rest time, this affects my distances for the rest of the trip. I do not want to put myself into a situation where I need to ignore my body telling me stop. I saw many people younger and/or more fit than I get injured on my last camino for this reason

I think the biggest downside to booking in advance is when I meet great people, I want to keep pace with them and continue to walk together.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello everyone,
Many thanks.
Booking.com the day prior

Walked May/June last year. Only booked SJPDP, Orrison and Pamplona in advance. Used the Camino Sleeps app to book everything else. Worked perfectly. Booked 3-5 days out initially and probably the last 10 days at the end forecasting greater trail volumes.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
@Bear,
I now book the whole Camino in advance (I have just finished booking 64 days for my upcoming Camino - the Frances again this year).
I have also walked Caminos and not booked at all, but nowadays I prefer to take a relaxed pace and know that I will have guaranteed accommodation of my choice when I feel like checking in. I now find that shorter walking days, taking time to chat to people, later starts, plenty of prayer time when encountering open churches, long lingering coffee stops and relaxing in villages and rest stops can be more readily enjoyed without the niggling thought in the back of the mind that there may not be a bed if I don't get to somewhere by 2 pm.

When we walked in 2015 we fell into a routine. When we got to where we were going to sleep for the night we sat down and decided how tired we were and how far we wanted to walk the next day, then we found a private albergue and reserved a bed for the next day. It worked well for us on that trip and we plan to do that again this year, unless I hear from other pilgrims that have other advice. I would be interested to try the app mentioned above, would be easier than calling on the phone.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks. So it's a website and not an app?
Somehow its an app on my phone. I don’t remember how I downloaded the app but I’m sure I started with the web site. The app is easy to use and once you put in the town name it populates all the accommodation options. Many have a direct link to booking.com some refer you to a web address or give you a phone number for reservations.

Just to add that I could find accommodation at every stage I've looked at so far, just not my chosen accommodation, so no need for others to be concerned.
Booking sites do this all the time to push you to reserve what they offer, the last puppy of the litter etc. It is best to not get caught up in the hype. Be prepared to close the window and start looking the next day. Never book if you are afraid of losing a reservation.

Personally, it is more adventurous and not stressful never booking accommodations on pilgrimage. But please, no one respond to this last sentence as it may be considered to be off topic.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Bear,
I agree it depends on how much Camino your walking. I always book first & last nights and weekend nights if walking over a weekend. The midweek nights we tend to book as we go along , a day in advance. At the minute I'm having difficulty booking somewhere affordable for Bilbao on our last night before we fly home.
Booking in advance in Bilbao has turned into quite an ordeal. For several years I used to stay at Hotel St. Mames every time I was there but now it is always fully booked, i find this true even after making a phone call as much as 6 months in advance. The two small budget hotels at the airport are far from being budget for what they have to offer and also always booked well in advance which makes sense since most flights are really early in the morning. There are the 3 and 4 star places, if your budget can handle them; or you can check out a new place not far from the bus station that I stumbled on lately. It is called Optimi Rooms and the accommodations are space-age sleeping pods. I am giving it a try late in June when I have a flight home.

That’s only on the booking sites. More than once I’ve called the directly and gotten a room on the same day, never mind the day before. Another good reason to carry my phone.

I have already booked my rooms for 2021!
The sooner you book, the less you will pay.
I am trying the same for an arrival during the feast day in late July. I am already having trouble finding any availability, much less anything less than a couple hundred dollars. my experience is so far only for the first part of the northern route as I am slowly working my future calendar. I have to trust in God there will be some place to sleep, and plan accordingly with a bivvy sac in case I wind up under a tree

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.