• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Booking tickets with Renfe and Alsa

jirit

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2007,
Via Francigena Italy, 2008,
Jakobsweg Austria 2010,
Camino Frances 2011,
Le Puy to Lourdes 2012,
Via de la Plata 2013,
Future:
Ökumenischer (Via Regia), Germany,
Lycian Way, Turkey
Has anybody experienced any issues with reserving and booking tickets with either Renfe or Alsa bus from Canada?

I fly into Madrid May 9th and would like to catch either a train or bus to Ponferrada.

Right now while you can not reserve a train ticket with Renfe there appears to be a train at 11:10 and 14:40 that goes to Ponferrada via Leon leaving from Madrid Charmartin. It appears you have book each segment separately.

With Alsa bus, there are a number of buses leaving Madrid Estacion Sur that go to Ponferrada but the journey is much longer than by train

Has anybody that has done either trip would care to comment or offer alternate suggestions?

Thanks

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I'm waiting on Renfe myself for 29th April. It seems they don't have a timetable schedule for the dates we need as of yet. Or at least not publishing it.

The fastest direct ALSA buses on that day's timetable take about 4 hours 20 minutes. Not much longer than the fastest service on the current RENFE timetable. Do you have reason to believe that there will be a significantly faster train service in the summer timetable?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
You can also take the bus from the airport in the afternoon direct at 3:45 p.m.. My husband took the bus from Ponferrada to Madrid in 2021 Not a bad trip. Not sure what is up with the train schedules, but with Renfe who knows. It does not appear to be a holiday or anything. I already bought tickets for late May from Madrid to Pamplona.

I was told by a contact in Spain that you can't book tickets on RENFE more than one month in advance, but that you can check current schedules for train times (for example, if you're traveling on a weekend or weekday, pick a similar day of the week) as the schedules rarely change. That will at least give you some idea of timing and pricing.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I was told by a contact in Spain that you can't book tickets on RENFE more than one month in advance, but that you can check current schedules for train times (for example, if you're traveling on a weekend or weekday, pick a similar day of the week) as the schedules rarely change. That will at least give you some idea of timing and pricing.
I think that may be true only for certain types of lines (Alvia vs AVE vs MD) because I got my tickets for Madrid to Pamplona in late May last week.

I think that may be true only for certain types of lines (Alvia vs AVE vs MD) because I got my tickets for Madrid to Pamplona in late May last week.
thanks for the clarification - I tried a couple of months ago booking high speed train from Barcelona to Valencia and couldn't get it to work and the reason I was told was as reported above and I thought I'd just wait until closer, but maybe it just depends on the line

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have been booking through the Trainline App instead of the Renfe app unless I just need to buy a ticket at the train station for a short trip somewhere at the last minute. I also have the Tarjeta Dorada which is a sr citizen discount card and Trainline stores my number and my husband's in the App so I don't have to look it up each time as with my Renfe App. The conductor does check our physical Dorada card with our tickets before boarding or on board though. You have to buy the card for 6 euros in the station. You can't get one online. We will renew our card again this summer as they are only good for one year and give a significant discount.

Has anybody experienced any issues with reserving and booking tickets with either Renfe or Alsa bus from Canada?

I fly into Madrid May 9th and would like to catch either a train or bus to Ponferrada.

Right now while you can not reserve a train ticket with Renfe there appears to be a train at 11:10 and 14:40 that goes to Ponferrada via Leon leaving from Madrid Charmartin. It appears you have book each segment separately.

With Alsa bus, there are a number of buses leaving Madrid Estacion Sur that go to Ponferrada but the journey is much longer than by train

Has anybody that has done either trip would care to comment or offer alternate suggestions?

Thanks
Try using the Trainline App... I often buy tickets there that are not available on Renfe although I travel with ALSA more often due to cheaper coat and arriving within 30 minutes of the same on train...

The fastest direct ALSA buses on that day's timetable take about 4 hours 20 minutes. Not much longer than the fastest service on the current RENFE timetable. Do you have reason to believe that there will be a significantly faster train service in the summer timetable?

I think, more than the time, is the comfort and space the train affords me, that is the deciding factor I have settled upon. Tis far more comfortable. But, you need to go into Madrid to get it.
The trains leaving from Chamartin have convenient connections from Leon to Ponferrada. The second segment is a seperate ticket, a regional train. But again you need to go to Chamartin. We take a 20 minute cab to Chamartin (€30).
I get motion sickness. I have had tickets, purchased on-line for the Madrid-Leon section for late April. As departure time gets closer I will purchase the regional ticket. All usually goes smoothly. We have done this numerous times. We once took the bus from Burgos to the Madrid Airport. The bus was packed and we felt like canned sardines. Yes I would take an hour bus ride, but that is now my tolerance limit! That said it is cheaper to take a bus and the time difference is not a major factor.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have been booking through the Trainline App instead of the Renfe app unless I just need to buy a ticket at the train station for a short trip somewhere at the last minute. I also have the Tarjeta Dorada which is a sr citizen discount card and Trainline stores my number and my husband's in the App so I don't have to look it up each time as with my Renfe App. The conductor does check our physical Dorada card with our tickets before boarding or on board though. You have to buy the card for 6 euros in the station. You can't get one online. We will renew our card again this summer as they are only good for one year and give a significant discount.
Thanks for this info on Tarjeta Dorada! It looks like a 50% discount - will def try to get one.

I think, more than the time, is the comfort and space the train affords me, that is the deciding factor I have settled upon. Tis far more comfortable. But, you need to go into Madrid to get it.
The trains leaving from Chamartin have convenient connections from Leon to Ponferrada. The second segment is a seperate ticket, a regional train. But again you need to go to Chamartin. We take a 20 minute cab to Chamartin (€30).
I get motion sickness. I have had tickets, purchased on-line for the Madrid-Leon section for late April. As departure time gets closer I will purchase the regional ticket. All usually goes smoothly. We have done this numerous times. We once took the bus from Burgos to the Madrid Airport. The bus was packed and we felt like canned sardines. Yes I would take an hour bus ride, but that is now my tolerance limit! That said it is cheaper to take a bus and the time difference is not a major factor.
I agree that the train is usually more comfortable. There is usually a relatively clean bathroom on board and sometimes even a place to get food or drink depending on the line. Having said that, the buses in Spain are inexpensive and much nicer than any bus I have been on in the US. Some have Wifi and movies. There are different classes of tickets on different routes just as with the train system. There is usually plenty of seat room and buses are frequented by a wide variety of people. There is often a longer stop enroute to my destination where I can run in and use the bathroom. I have gotten motion sick from a driver who drives like he's a former race car driver on hills and curves going for example to Muxia, but its sometimes a bus ride and sometimes the train for me.

Thanks for this info on Tarjeta Dorada! It looks like a 50% discount - will def try to get one.
Yes, since we rode the train a lot last summer in Spain it was very worthwhile and it was still good for my upcoming trip as it was within the year.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I bought tickets from Madrid to Zaragosa on the Renfe site for April 21 a few weeks ago. It wouldn't let me buy tickets on the regional train to Canfranc at that time. Before posting this, I went on the Renfe site and was able to purchase those tickets to Canfranc. It looks like April tickets are available.

If you are 65 years and older you can get discount on RENFE tickets
when you are at a station you can say at the saleswindow “ tercera edad “ hat means you are 65 or over .I thought there is a possibility to click on a checkbox if you book online Also on Alsa busses you cqn get a discount for that reason

I am planning to travel May 9 from Madrid to Leon and then on to Ponferrada. My camino partner told me that never books ahead, just shows up and buys the ticket at the station and uses her Tarjeta Dorada to get the discount. She plans to do that going back to Madrid from Santiago later at the end of May

I got the impression that most trains would be sold out by that date.

It is wise or required to book ahead?

Tarjeta Dorada: Is that good for anybody over 60?

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Thanks
I have purchased Renfe tickets via Petrabax a number of times and am happy with their service.

Depending on the day time and location you want to go, you can also buy tickets the day of travel usually. One year we got stuck because it was a holiday and there were no tickets so if timing is critical, I buy in advance. Another year we had to wait for the following day as tickets for that day to Santiago were sold out. Also the closer to the time of departure, the more expensive the train ticket. You may also notice some times of day are more expensive than others likely due to popularity.

Last year we had about 9 different train segments in the summer and also several bus segments. I did buy about half the train and all the bus segments in advance since I had seen one of our the buses sold out early in the trip. We did a pilgrim segment, then a tourist segment, and finished with a hospitalero service over the 6 week trip.

Is the sr citizen discount card only for members of EU?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
It is available to people of all nationalities. "The Man in Seat 61" makes the following observation about bookings before your arrival in Spain though.

"Now for the catch, and it's some catch that Catch 22: You can only buy a Tarjeta Dorada in person at a Renfe station when you get to Spain. You cannot buy it online. But you can't buy tickets online in advance with the Tarjeta Dorada discount until after you've bought the card because you need to enter the card number to get the discount. So if you're planning a trip to Spain, it's better to forget about being senior and just buy a normal adult advance-purchase ticket now for perhaps €30 without any Tarjeta Dorada discount, than to wait until you get to Spain to buy a Tarjeta Dorada to get 25% off a fare which by that time (on or close to departure date) might have risen to €90. Just let that sink in..."

Of course you may still make substantial savings on any rail bookings made after you have arrived in Spain and bought your Tarjeta Dorada.

No as Bradypus indicates, it is for anyone over 59, but you must confirm your age in person with ID when you buy a Tarjeta Dorada at the Renfe counter and it is good for one year. It is subject to a check by the conductor when you buy future tickets online. We used ours multiple times last summer and arranged our trip this summer so we could buy train tickets from home before it expires.

Going from Madrid to Leon the fast trains can be sold out in May. You might windup on alater or next day train. It happens! I suggest you puchase the train ticket to Leon now, unless you won’t be upset if you are delayed. Then buy your discount card in Spain-and use it to purchase your return ticket from SdC. But do not wait till you get SdC to purchase it…. otherwise you may wind upon a slow 6-7 train back to Madrid.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Going from Madrid to Leon the fast trains can be sold out in May. You might windup on alater or next day train. It happens! I suggest you puchase the train ticket to Leon now, unless you won’t be upset if you are delayed. Then buy your discount card in Spain-and use it to purchase your return ticket from SdC. But do not wait till you get SdC to purchase it…. otherwise you may wind upon a slow 6-7 train back to Madrid.
Even the slow train isn't terrible. You can walk around and there is a bathroom and sometimes a dining car. It just takes longer...

Thanks everybody for the suggestions. I think I will book my train ticket to Ponferrada in advance online but purchase the Tarjeta Dorada card and the Santiago to Madrid return at the station when I arrive in Madrid May 9th

It might be easier to buy the TD in Ponferrada after you arrive if you don't have time in Madrid. You could also buy yourreturn to Madrid ticket there if you don't want to buy it online. There's less traffic in and out there. The stations in Madrid are sometimes very busy and lines sometimes very long. Ponferrada less so. My husband got his first TD in Ponferrada in 2018. I got my first one if Zaragoza last year. Time of day also impacts the length of the lines. Best wishes. By the way, the TD is just a little slip of paper with ink printing about the size of a business card so be sure you have a place to keep it in your wallet that where it won't get lost or wet.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
It might be easier to buy the TD in Ponferrada after you arrive if you don't have time in Madrid. You could also buy yourreturn to Madrid ticket there if you don't want to buy it online. There's less traffic in and out there. The stations in Madrid are sometimes very busy and lines sometimes very long. Ponferrada less so. My husband got his first TD in Ponferrada in 2018. I got my first one if Zaragoza last year. Time of day also impacts the length of the lines. Best wishes. By the way, the TD is just a little slip of paper with ink printing about the size of a business card so be sure you have a place to keep it in your wallet that where it won't get lost or wet.
Good suggestion about buying the TD and Santiago to Madrid in Ponferrada. I arrive in Ponferrada about 6:30 pm - do you think the ticket counters will be still open ?

Good suggestion about buying the TD and Santiago to Madrid in Ponferrada. I arrive in Ponferrada about 6:30 pm - do you think the ticket counters will be still open ?
Should be according to a local website.

Thanks
I did not prebook my train from Madrid airport to Pomplona nor my bus to St Jean Pied d P. Seemed to be plenty of space.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I am planning to travel May 9 from Madrid to Leon and then on to Ponferrada. My camino partner told me that never books ahead, just shows up and buys the ticket at the station and uses her Tarjeta Dorada to get the discount. She plans to do that going back to Madrid from Santiago later at the end of May

I got the impression that most trains would be sold out by that date.

It is wise or required to book ahead?

Tarjeta Dorada: Is that good for anybody over 60?
In 2021 when we walked the Salvador & Primitivo, we took the bus from MAD to Leon, had a reservation made in advance, it was an afternoon's ride but not bad at all. The bus is downstairs at the airport.

This next walk (Via de la Plata), we're planning to take the Yellow Bus (express) to Atocha and then hop onto the AVE train to Sevilla. It is hoped that we can do that with no problems because we're landing on Sunday at 0900 and we're thinking that we can catch the 1100 train. (Though it's not on topic for this thread, if anyone is laughing out loud at the idea this is possible, feel free to reply!)

I don't remember right now off the top of my head, but there may be an express route to Chamartin, too. 5 euros a head and hardly any stops.

In 2021 when we walked the Salvador & Primitivo, we took the bus from MAD to Leon, had a reservation made in advance, it was an afternoon's ride but not bad at all. The bus is downstairs at the airport.

This next walk (Via de la Plata), we're planning to take the Yellow Bus (express) to Atocha and then hop onto the AVE train to Sevilla. It is hoped that we can do that with no problems because we're landing on Sunday at 0900 and we're thinking that we can catch the 1100 train. (Though it's not on topic for this thread, if anyone is laughing out loud at the idea this is possible, feel free to reply!)

I don't remember right now off the top of my head, but there may be an express route to Chamartin, too. 5 euros a head and hardly any stops.
You can take the Cercanias train from the bottom floor of T4 at the airport to Chamartin station.

€60,-
I read elsewhere on the Forum, that if one books through anything but Renfe itself, you don't get notified if there is a change in the trip you booked -- if I remember correctly, a fellow said he'd missed hiis train to Madrird from Santiago because the departure time had been changed & he wasn't aware of it. Have you had any such experience?

Thanks
Following....As I need to book in May also.

I have not had that problem, but I do have the ADIF App on my phone to check the times of arrival and departure at various stations of the trains in Spain and their train numbers.

I have had trouble using my US credit card on the RENFE App. Other people have had luck with PayPal, but I don't have a PayPal account and don't really want to set one up.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I have not had that problem, but I do have the ADIF App on my phone to check the times of arrival and departure at various stations of the trains in Spain and their train numbers.

I have had trouble using my US credit card on the RENFE App. Other people have had luck with PayPal, but I don't have a PayPal account and don't really want to set one up.
Thank you. I don't use PayPal either.
I booked the train from Leon to Madrid through Omio last May whilst in Spain and was able to use my credit card. If I am unable to use a CC to book RENFE, I will book through an alternate agency and look into downloading that App.

You could try your CC, it was a problem for me more than a year ago now. I am still using the Trainline App for now unless I buy directly from the station. Interestingly, my card works fine in person. If I know when I want to travel and I am in a RENFE station, I will buy tickets for my future travels in person.

I was wanting to travel from Madrid to Leon by train. However, on the day I am planning to travel , there appears to only be combination train/bus options avalable as I won't arrive from overseas and clear Customs until at least noon.
Has anyone had experience with this combo type of travel ?
I am actually thinking that my best option is to catch the Alsa bus at Airport Terminal 4

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I was wanting to travel from Madrid to Leon by train. However, on the day I am planning to travel , there appears to only be combination train/bus options avalable as I won't arrive from overseas and clear Customs until at least noon.
I am actually thinking that my best option is to catch the Alsa bus at Airport Terminal 4
If the bus and train station are close by, it usually isn't a problem to combine, but in a town like Burgos, the train station and bus station are far apart. What towns would have to switch?

I do see some direct trains to Leon from Madrid Chamartin station in the afternoons. When were you wanting to travel?

If the bus and train station are close by, it usually isn't a problem to combine, but in a town like Burgos, the train station and bus station are far apart. What towns would have to switch?

I do see some direct trains to Leon from Madrid Chamartin station in the afternoons. When were you wanting to travel?
I was wanting mid-to-late afternoon.
I now see that there some RENFE and RENFE AVE departures [nitially I wasn't sure what AVE was but Googled it] that would work for us. I will have to figure out which time would work best as we have to clear Customs once we land in Madrid.
Any idea how long I should allow for Customs and then to get from T1 to T4 to catch the commuter train to Chamartin?

I would say mid-afternoon to give yourself plenty of time. You can take the intra-airport shuttle to get from T1 to T4. It stops at all the terminals and is free...catch it out front of the terminal where all the other buses and shuttles stop. Or you can take a cab directly to the train station from the airport which will probably save some time although not money unless you are traveling with several people together.

I always spend the first night in Madrid to get over my jet lag, but that may not work for everyone. I always make sure my hotel will let me check in early if needed. I have a sleep disorder and just cannot "power through" and think clearly. Need some actual CPAP time to get the rest I need and I don't sleep well on the plane. I either stay out at one of the soul-less airport hotels with a free shuttle or I take the Yellow Express into town and stay near the Atocha station (if I am leaving from there the next day). I have not found any good quiet hotels to my liking near Chamartin yet. I usually just return to the airport on the shuttle the next morning and take the C train to Chamartin from Terminal 4. Others may have a recommendation to share.

I almost always stay at a Marriott or AC hotel in Madrid, Logrono, Burgos, Leon, Ponferrada, and Santiago when I am there. (Also stayed at the one in Bilbao last summer. There used to be one in Pamplona, too, but it has closed.) I am a long-time Platinum Marriott club member and use points to stay for free. The hotels are quiet and comfortable, but that is not everyone's taste. I especially love their pillows and I know I will sleep well. There are a couple close to the airport and one near Atocha station that I most often use in Madrid.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I would say mid-afternoon to give yourself plenty of time. You can take the intra-airport shuttle to get from T1 to T4. It stops at all the terminals and is free...catch it out front of the terminal where all the other buses and shuttles stop. Or you can take a cab directly to the train station from the airport which will probably save some time although not money unless you are traveling with several people together.

I always spend the first night in Madrid to get over my jet lag, but that may not work for everyone. I always make sure my hotel will let me check in early if needed. I have a sleep disorder and just cannot "power through" and think clearly. Need some actual CPAP time to get the rest I need and I don't sleep well on the plane. I either stay out at one of the soul-less airport hotels with a free shuttle or I take the Yellow Express into town and stay near the Atocha station (if I am leaving from there the next day). I have not found any good quiet hotels to my liking near Chamartin yet. I usually just return to the airport on the shuttle the next morning and take the C train to Chamartin from Terminal 4. Others may have a recommendation to share.

I almost always stay at a Marriott or AC hotel in Madrid, Logrono, Burgos, Leon, Ponferrada, and Santiago when I am there. (Also stayed at the one in Bilbao last summer. There used to be one in Pamplona, too, but it has closed.) I am a long-time Platinum Marriott club member and use points to stay for free. The hotels are quiet and comfortable, but that is not everyone's taste. I especially love their pillows and I know I will sleep well. There are a couple close to the airport and one near Atocha station that I most often use in Madrid.
Thank you so much for all your tips on train travel & accommodations. It is much appreciated.
Our plan is to get to Leon on the same day we arrive in Spain and then spend 2 nights there with the thought that would give us time to get over jet lag and explore the city before heading to Santiago.

BTW, your story about travelling with a CRAP machine is very inspiring because it shows that many of life's hurdles can be overcome (or adjusted to) if we have the fortitude and resourcefulness to do so.

Ive taken that bus from the terminal and it was way better than the train I took the previous time. You can relax in the airport cafe while you wait. The bus was luxurious, cheaper and faster than the train option. Reclining seats, footrests, free water, snacks, wifi, a seatback screen and toilets. My husband was impressed. I havent had a bad bus experience in Spain, but I wouldn't repeat the train trip, first having to go into Madrid for the station, waiting for the train, then having a weird guy lurking around the toilet area the whole time (despite being chased away by Spanish ladies from time to time), a toilet door that wouldn't lock, and semi comfortable seats, no footrest, no food or water. And twice the price.

One thing that impresses me about the Spanish bus stations is their adherence to time schedules. In some countries the departure times are a vague expectation, in Spain they are super efficient. Quite nice when you've travelled a long way and don't need extra holdups.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I like both train and bus and there are different classes for each.
Ive always had a good experience with Alsa, but you certainly don't want to dawdle to the station - they leave on the dot.
We decided in 2016, on a whim, to do a side trip to Bilbao and back from Burgos, and walked to the station with 15 seconds to spare.

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back