• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Booking train from Paris to Bayonne

Hyun

Buen Camino~

I'm starting Camino frances April 15 to end of may.

I have a question booking the train from Paris to Bayonne. I was looking for a night train so that I can arrive SJPP the next morning which will be April 16 but I couldn't find one.

In worst case scenario, I take the train arriving Bayonne at midnight and sleep over in train station.

Could it be safe sleeping in the train station? or What could be the best alternative? Need your advice...

Thanks!

Hyun

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have caught a sleeper out of Bayonne on two occasions and wouldn't recommend sleeping there. It was deserted enough at 11.00pm and the cafe closed around then, though it might have changed this past year.

Type in Bayonne in the search engine as I believe this question has come up before and there are hostals that you could book into.

You could then catch an early morning train to SJPP, collect a sello from the Pilgrim´s Office in SJPP. (Open from 07.30 till late, the Association des Amis de Saint Jacques Pyrénées-Atlantiques, 39 rue de la Citadelle, 64220 Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port. Tél accueil St-Jean-PdP 05-59-37-05-09) and then walk to Orrison, which can be pre-booked.

http://www.refuge-orisson.com

methodist.pilgrim.98 said:
I have caught a sleeper out of Bayonne on two occasions and wouldn't recommend sleeping there. It was deserted enough at 11.00pm and the cafe closed around then, though it might have changed this past year.

Type in Bayonne in the search engine as I believe this question has come up before and there are hostals that you could book into.

You could then catch an early morning train to SJPP, collect a sello from the Pilgrim´s Office in SJPP. (Open from 07.30 till late, the Association des Amis de Saint Jacques Pyrénées-Atlantiques, 39 rue de la Citadelle, 64220 Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port. Tél accueil St-Jean-PdP 05-59-37-05-09) and then walk to Orrison, which can be pre-booked.

http://www.refuge-orisson.com

Thank you for the advice.

Maybe I have to stay one night at Bayonne.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Hyun
don't know what day you travel but it seems there is an overnight train on fridays and sundays
http://www.bonjourlafrance.com/france-t ... .htm#Paris
( there is overnight trains from Paris Austerlitz everyday to Bayonne cept Weds)
there is a very pilgrim friendly hotel in Bayonne just to the left outside the train station its called the Paris Madrid (fairly cheap)-don't know if its 24 hour reception (use the search option above for more information)
another option is to only travel as far as Bordeaux,use hostel accommodation there and continue your journey next day
good luck and buen camino
Ian

sagalouts said:
Hi Hyun
don't know what day you travel but it seems there is an overnight train on fridays and sundays
( there is overnight trains from Paris Austerlitz everyday to Bayonne cept Weds)
there is a very pilgrim friendly hotel in Bayonne just to the left outside the train station its called the Paris Madrid (fairly cheap)-don't know if its 24 hour reception (use the search option above for more information)
another option is to only travel as far as Bordeaux,use hostel accommodation there and continue your journey next day
good luck and buen camino
Ian

Thank you Ian,
I guess I booked the ticket too early that I made everything complicate...
I could manage to book the train arriving SJPDP at 23:30 and now it will be another task to fine place to lay my head...
It seems most albergue close 10PM.

Any good suggestion???

Hi Hyun
http://www.letsgo.com/2995-pays_basque- ... -bayonne-d

scroll down to accommodation it lists the hotel Paris Madrid with e-mail address and phone number-they speak English and are open till 12-30 am price listed at 20 euros but maybe a little more.
well worth staying there,good early start the next morning-lots of time to pick up your camino credencel (passport) and handy mini-guide then a hard 25km walk taking maybe 6/8 hours to Roncesvalles or break the journey at the Refuge-Auberge Orisson 30 euros bed dinner and breakfast (must be booked and payed for in advance (paypal)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JxUkYYKLJg
this is a small slide show of mine showing the view from the hotel and the walk from sjpp,it includes the view of Orisson.
while it is possible to sleep out in sjpp ( church, the citidel-see slide show or small park,its not recommended,the walk to Roncesvalles will be your hardest days walk,mainly because its your first day and everything is new-plus it will be cold in the night and you will need your Credencil from the pilgrim office-so no early start.once in Roncesvalles your on the Camino conveyor belt with lots of cheap places to sleep/eat-you will love it!!
Ian

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I told friends about the Hotel Paris Madrid and they had planned to stay there last May but found it was closed down. Not sure if it has re-opened. However they found another small hotel nearby,sorry can't remember the name.
Heather

Thank you Ian for nice video clip which made me want to go this trip more.

Also, thank you Heather for the information.

I finally gave up to find albergue in SJPDP after the several rejection letters but now I'm trying to find B&B or other alternatives, It is just that my budget is quite strict that I don't want to spend more than 50 euro. Let's see what I can get...^^

Cheers,

Hyun

sagalouts said:
or break the journey at the Refuge-Auberge Orisson 30 euros bed dinner and breakfast (must be booked and payed for in advance (paypal)

Price have risen :cry: Cost me 33.39 euros (32 + fees) paying by Paypal for Sep 2012.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Still I'm not quite sure when is the right time to book train.

One thing is it seems you cannot search some trains before three month from the departure date.

I heard that sometimes you can get ticket in a really good price just a day before and sometimes you pay more eventhough you booked it way before. So I guess it is case by case.

Gook luck!

Buen Camino~

I am leaving from Paris on Friday, April 13 to SJPDP. For some reason the overnight trains just didn't pop up for me and several times only the 829 train appeared- no matter what site I used. I finally was able to book an 1129 train that changes in Dax and Bayonne arriving at 1936 in SJPDP by using the SNCF site in French vs. English. This timing is not ideal as I loose a full day, but maybe I will see the countryside out of the window and enjoy a few hours with a good book.

Perhaps once in Paris I could change my ticket- but this will be fine too- either way, looking forward to getting there! :D

A selection of Camino Jewellery
French trains can be booked 90 days before departure. If you use the the French site
www.tgv-europe.com and are able to book a fixed date and time early enough you can get very cheap 'PREM' tickets (which cannot be exchanged or refunded) for around 40 Euros one way, depending on the train time and in some cases with the price very similar for first class.

I will arrive in Paris (hopefully) at 8:15 am. How long should I expect it to take me to get thru customs and get to the train. Some hotels want to know when I am arriving and I am not sure how soon I can expect to catch a train after plane arrives. Can anyone advise? - M :arrow:

I just tried to book a room thru Continental at the St Esprit Hotel Paris Madrid in Bayonne. It was recommended on this forum - right across from train station. I was told that it is no longer in service. Tried to call myself and was told the same by the operator. Can someone confirm this? Any other options out there? Hostels? Continental told me the cheapest room in the area was $110. :-(

Can anyone advise? Anybody have a sister in the area I can stay with? (hahahaha - just half kidding!)
- M :arrow:

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
So....can anyone advise if I'm reading this right? (see link below) I arrive in Paris at 8:15am (hopefully) on a Sunday. My only option for a train to Bayonne is at 13:44 (1:44) and arriving at 19:44 (8pm). I won't complain cuz at least there's a train, but that's a long time to wait at the airport. So am I reading this right?
Thanks - M :arrow:

from the airport yes,but that means you will prob have to stay in bayonne the night
the way I read it,if you catch a train into Paris from the airport,you can catch the 10-10 from Paris Montparnass 14.51 into Bayonna and then into SJPP for the night,you can still make it if you catch the 10.45 from Paris and change at Bordeaux gets into Bayonna at 17.06 still time to get to SJPP
good luck
Ian

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Ok, I didn't consider that. Do I train from the airpot straight to Montparnasse? Or bus? Will there be time to catch the 10:10 to Bayonne if I am arriving at 8:15? Don't know how all this works. Thank you and EVERYONE on this forum SO MUCH!!

There is a shuttle bus from CDG airport to Montparnasse, but it takes 40 minutes average Your flight arrives at CDG at 8.15 (that it the time it touches down on the tarmac, not disembarcation time), say 60 minutes for plane to reach gate, get thro' immigration and customs and get the bus, so I would advise disregard the bus if you want to catch the 10.10 train.
The alternative is the metro which should be faster than the bus, but it would still be touch and go, even if the flight arrives on time.
For shuttle bus and train times for all of France see http://www.bonjourlafrance.com. it's in English
David

MoniRose said:
So....can anyone advise if I'm reading this right? (see link below) I arrive in Paris at 8:15am (hopefully) on a Sunday. My only option for a train to Bayonne is at 13:44 (1:44) and arriving at 19:44 (8pm). I won't complain cuz at least there's a train, but that's a long time to wait at the airport. So am I reading this right?
Thanks - M :arrow:

If you are arriving into Paris CdG on a SUNDAY, there are only 2 direct day trains from Paris Montparnasse to Bayonne, the 14.29 arriving Bayonne 19.44, and the 17.29 arriving 22.43. There is not a 10.10 train, it runs at 10.29 Mon-Fri only. If that may seem like bad news, the good news is there is a 21.09 from Bayonne to SJdPP on Sunday evenings, arriving 22.27.

You could therefore travel at leisure from CdG to Paris Montparnasse, catch the 14.29 to Bayonne and be able to get to SJdPP at 22.27 on the same day. However, that may not be good for starting your walk the next day and may require a second night stay in SJdPP.

This link gives you train fares by day and month from PM to Bayonne to enable you to select and book the best fare online:

http://calendar.tgv-europe.com/en/resul ... 12/outward

To get from CdG to Paris Montparnasse, either:

use the rail link taking the RER B (commuter rail line) from the Station in CDG airport marked "Direction : Saint-Remy-les-Chevreuse" to the Chatelet-Les Halles stop.

Change to Metro Line 4 marked "Direction : Porte d'Orleans (General Leclerc)" which will take you to the to the Montparnasse-Bienvenue stop. The metro stop is a short walk to the SNCF Train station.

or, Air France Coach: Line 4, departs every 30 minutes during Terminal Hours from 7 am to 9 pm.

Both journeys are around 50 - 60 mins.

Let me know if you need any more of the online timetable/booking links.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks! All great information...but I am stuck...

I will be arriving CDG on Friday May 11 at 6:45 AM. Am I reading all the schedules incorrectly that the only trains are at !4:00 or so? Do you think the earlier trains were filled? Do they usually put on additional trains if needed?

0700 to 2200 after a transatlantic makes for a very long first day......

I am open to all ideas...

thanks

ALan

Alan,

Check the tgv-europe link for times and prices if you want to book online and print your own ticket.

The direct Bayonne trains leave Paris Gare de Montparnasse at the following times:

08.29 Daily Arr 14.13 10.29 Mon-Fri Arr 15.36

14.29 Daily Arr 19.44 17.29 Daily Arr 22.43

Mon/Fri/Sun Gare d'Austerlitz SLEEPER 22.12 Arr 08.41

BAY-SJPP 07.48 Mondays Arr 09.07

08.19 Tues-Sun 09.37

11.51 Mon-Sat 13.09

15.05 Daily 16.23

18.10 Mon-Sat 19.36

21.09 Wed & Sun 22.27

Arriving on time at 06.45 with some slack you should be able to get 10.29 departure, or alternatively the 14.29 comfortably and then in either case break your journey by staying overnight in Bayonne and having a relaxed day the next day to get to SJPP and a further night to recuperate there before setting off.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
If you ever want to get the most accurate and flexible information on train schedules for any route in Europe (France included) use the German rail site.

http://www.bahn.com/i/view/GBR/en/index.shtml

You can check for train routing, for different dates and times up to one in the future.

As a matter of interest, I flew into Paris last year arriving at 9.00am on a Friday, cleared customs and got my backpack all under one hour and took the RER into Paris. I was able to catch a mid day train to Bayonne to connect with another train to Saint Jean Pied d Port to arrive before 8.00 pm in time to get my passport and secure a bed for the night

Next morning I was up by 6.30am and walking by 7.00am

Friday afternoons can be a problem for getting seats, (required for all TVG trains) so I would suggest you book in advance. I did not but I was lucky enough to secure a reservation.

Regards

Great tips!

But I've checked the TGV - Europe site and there is no 10:29 departure listed. Is that train offered on a Friday?

The 8:25 and 10:25 are included for Sat on my calendar but not on Friday. Does SNF ever add trains of the demand is high ?

thanks
Alan

Would it be too much to consider a flight from CDG to BIQ (Biarritz), or are you committed to train?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Right now it looks like I arrive Sunday at 8:15am and then will just take my time getting bag, etc and hanging out at the airport (I'll find a good book and study my French/Spanish, I guess) to catch the 13:44 to Bayonne. I don't see any reason to go to Montparnasse if there is nothing earlier.

I have secured a room for the night in Bayonne at Hotel Cote Basque (anyone stay there before?). It had lots of good reviews and is near the station) and I will arrive there at 19:44. I plan to take the early train to SJPP, where I have secured a spot for the 2nd night, and have lots of time to look around and take care of business before starting the Camino on Day 3.

Wish I had an afternoon or evening in Bayonne but I can't complain.

hanging out at the airport
Ouch! The airport vs. the Montparnasse area? Get over to the train station. Wander the streets. Have food, coffee, and wine. Watch the people. Go to the park. :D

Thanks, Falcon. I see now that the airport was the "safe" choice. I will take your advice and step out.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I went to book my train from Paris to Bayonne then on to SJPP at ......

........ and got a message that all three of these cities are "not recognized"?! Anyone know what's up with that?

Thanks so much! - M :arrow:

MoniRose said:
I went to book my train from Paris to Bayonne then on to SJPP at ......

........ and got a message that all three of these cities are "not recognized"?! Anyone know what's up with that?

Thanks so much! - M :arrow:

I clicked on your link, went to the lower part where it instructs booking from the U.S. (you maybe not), typed in Paris - St Jean Pied de Port, and used 17 March and then May 17. The route instantly came up, so I kept going all the way to the payment page.

On what date are you trying? Perhaps too far out?

Looking to book May 27 Paris to Bayonne and May 28 Bayonne to SJPP. Also, if I'm flying back Santiago to Paris, should I book this now? Or does anyone know if it's okay to book a day or three ahead? Thank you so much! -M

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
If on schedule, I arrive at CDG at 8:15 am Sunday, so I can either take the 13:44 from CDG to Bayonne or bus to Montparnasse and take the 15:50. The problem is that I can't get the site to work for those dates. A week ago I looked it up and did everything except put in my credit card, so it was working last week. I don't think it's too far out. I guess my only choice is to keep trying. Everyday...a new learning experience. :)
I appreciate your support! - M :arrow:

easyjet has a flight out of CDG that afternoon to Biarrizt at around €80 if theres no specific reason for the train, then you can either have more time in bayonne (which you were wishing for earlier) or skip the night there and arrive in sjpdp in late afternoon

i think that €80 is actually cheaper than the train

€83,-
There is a TGV ticket counter and station at CDG. You can book there, because you have to have a reserved seat on TGV. Depending on your time of arrival at CDG you could take a TGV directly from CDG or take the Air France Bus #4 to Gare Montparnasse. It can be disappointing to either miss a train that is closely scheduled wait for a long time for another one. The direct bus to Montparnasse is good because it lets you off right at the station. Some times things get confusing real fast if you are in a hurry.

There is no DIRECT train from Paris airport CDG to Bayonne. There are trains from CDG to the Gare du Nord in Paris from which you make your own connection to the Gare Montparnasse and the TGV trains to Bayonne. Trains to Bayonne will either be direct or via Bordeaux.

Margaret

Sorry, everyone, I'm just a little stressed.
I like the idea of flying to Biarritz. Then do I take train from there to SJPP? (Cuz I still can't get that train schedule link to work!) :-( Or do I take a cab to Bayonne then catch the train to SJPP? Cuz I'd rather get there as soon as possible and not spend an extra night in Bayonne.
Thank you all so much. Everyone has been so helpful! - M :arrow:

MoniRose,

To get to Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port from Biarritz you need to take the bus to the railroad station in Bayonne and then a TER train to Saint-Jean. The last train on Sunday May 27 leaves Bayonne at 18:10 and arrives SJPdP at 19:36. You can buy your ticket as you enter the station. In Saint-Jean the office for the Amies du Chemin de Saint Jacques at 39 rue de Citadelle usually stays open for the arrival of the last train. They can provide you with a Credential and lodging assistance. Their telephone is 05 59 37 05 09

Buen Camino!

Margaret

Pieces - I contacted the transport service and she has already been so helpful. Looks like all my connections from Paris to SJPP are in place. Thank you, and that you to all the other great advice! - M :arrow:

I too was having a difficult time booking a train from Paris to SJPDP so I looked at the possibility of taking a plane. Booked a flight on Ryan Air from Paris to Barritz for $45 dollars (Canadian- same as US), plus airport tax= $94 total on March 29th. It was cheaper than the trains and much faster. It leaves at 7:am from CdG airport, Paris to Barritz. I plan to take a taxi or bus to SJPDP and get there by 10:am.

Has anybody used the France TGV booking site to book train tickets and then arranged to pick them up at the station using your credit card (from a Canadian bank) and special pin?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I will be traveling to Paris France next week, I plan on purchasing a voice plan and text with no plan on text and I want to make sure my data plan is not on and use in Paris.Could you please produce some attachments What exactly do I need to turn on/off ?

Has anybody used the France TGV booking site to book train tickets and then arranged to pick them up at the station using your credit card (from a Canadian bank) and special pin?

I have used the booking site several times, but since my French is bad, I always get the tickets sent to me in Norway. They do it for free and I always get the ticket within a few days.
If you want to pick the ticket up in France, you can take it out either in the ticketoffice (which might take some time)or at a machine.

€83,-
Jirit, When you book on the TGV site you pay and print out a "boarding pass" with a QR on it, the same way as a plane ticket. I did it from the States and took it with me.

Jirit, When you book on the TGV site you pay and print out a "boarding pass" with a QR on it, the same way as a plane ticket. I did it from the States and took it with me.
Slight correction! Make sure you log on to www.sncf.com otherwise you may get kicked over to RailEurope which will charge you an arm and a leg.

Hi indyinmaine

Since posting my question I figured it out and I was able to successfully order and print the boarding pass

Thanks

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back