• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Booking Train Tickets from Paris CDG to Bayonne Online

MaeZen

Time of past OR future Camino
12/2014
I have a question about booking the tickets online. I just checked the train tickets for Dec 12 from Paris Airport(CDG) to Bayonne (via Bordeaux) through 'raileurope' cost $164 plus $7.95 booking fee. It seems a lot to me. Will it be cheaper if I buy tickets when I am at the station? My flight arrives Paris CDG at 7 am on Dec 12. I am thinking a 10:16 am train from CDG to Bayonne.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have a question about booking the tickets online. I just checked the train tickets for Dec 12 from Paris Airport(CDG) to Bayonne (via Bordeaux) through 'raileurope' cost $164 plus $7.95 booking fee. It seems a lot to me. Will it be cheaper if I buy tickets when I am at the station? My flight arrives Paris CDG at 7 am on Dec 12. I am thinking a 10:16 am train from CDG to Bayonne.

Using the SNCF site I'm getting 70 - 120 euro ... depending on the train. The 1016 cost 101 euro. (It looks to be cheaper to travel from Paris Montparnasse). Add in exchange rate and its probably close to what you are being quoted.

Thank you for the information. I may just go ahead booking the tickets if my quote is the running price.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I always use the booking agents 'Capitaine Train'.
Last time I travelled early September, Paris Montparnasse to Bayonne, cost 26 Euro. Bookings are available from 90 days out and the earlier you book the cheaper the fare will be. I put a note in my diary. Capitaine Train also look for the cheapest fare.
Regds
Gerard

I just checked prices now for 12th December and found tickets from Paris (Montparnasse)to Bayonne for 39 euro. Have a look at
www.sncf.com
Happy planning

I just checked prices now for 12th December and found tickets from Paris (Montparnasse)to Bayonne for 39 euro. Have a look at
www.sncf.com
Happy planning

Thank you for the information. That sounds a great price. I just checked 'www.sncf.com' and found the 39.9 euro tickets you said. I am confused which Montparnasse station I should choose. It shows three: Paris Montparnasse 1 ET2 (75); Paris Montparnasse 2 Pasteur (75); Paris Montparnasse Vaugrard (75). Also what is the best way from CDG airport to Montparnasse? how long does it take? Lastly, should I choose France at 'the ticket collection country'? when I choose USA, the website directs me to 'raileurope'. Thank you again for your help.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Using the (proven) reliable website rome2rio, it costs $164.00 to travel Paris Airport-SJPDP and it takes a little over 7 hours.

It costs $74 Madrid-SJPDP (8 hours)

It costs $78 Barcelona-SJPDP (7 hours).

I have never understand people from the USA flying into Paris to get to SJPDP... I understand logistics from Australia, etc, makes Paris a much better in/out airport. Quite obvious even by glancing at a map....

Thank you for the information. That sounds a great price. I just checked 'www.sncf.com' and found the 39.9 euro tickets you said. I am confused which Montparnasse station I should choose. It shows three: Paris Montparnasse 1 ET2 (75); Paris Montparnasse 2 Pasteur (75); Paris Montparnasse Vaugrard (75). Also what is the best way from CDG airport to Montparnasse? how long does it take? Lastly, should I choose France at 'the ticket collection country'? when I choose USA, the website directs me to 'raileurope'. Thank you again for your help.

Here is map of Montparnasse
http://www.bonjourlafrance.com/france-trains/stations/gare-montparnasse-station.htm

Paris Gare Montparnasse
http://www.gares-en-mouvement.com/fr/frpmo/accueil/

Paris Gare Montparnasse Map
http://www.railteam.eu/en/files/2011/11/MAP_Paris-Montparnasse_En.pdf

I got the SNCF schedule to work with Montparnasse 1 et 2.

Yes, chose France as ticket collection country for schedule information. I'm not sure if you can purchase your ticket using the SNCF site, you may have to purchase on RailEurope. You can buy the ticket at the station, however there is no knowing what the price will be.

2102 Paris Airports

Paris has two major airports. Charles de Gaulle Airport (CDG) is known as Roissy and is located NE of Paris. Orly Airport (ORY) is located to the South of Paris.

CDG and Orly:
http://www.aeroportsdeparis.fr/ADP/en-gb/passagers/home/

2103 Getting around in Paris

Paris Transit Network
http://www.ratp.fr/plan-interactif/carteidf.php?lang=uk

Paris RER/Metro route planner - SNCF Transilien
http://www.transilien.com/itineraire/rechercheitineraire/init

Air France Shuttle Bus with service from CDG to Orly airport (#3) and to Gare Montparnasse (#4)
http://www.aeroportsdeparis.fr/ADP/...97348c-aerolis_deplianttakeoneBD_Mars2013.pdf

2107 CDG Airport to Gare Montparnasse.

There are two transit options from CDG airport to Gare Montparnasse:

a. RER Line B (destination B2 Robinson or B4 Saint Remy les Chevreuse) from CDG airport to Gare du Nord. Paris Metro Line 4 from Gare du Nord to Metro Station Montparnasse Bienvenue. Allow 1:00 hour. Allow an additional 15 minutes to walk from the Metro station to Gare Montparnasse.

~Note there are 3 points where it is possible to transfer from RER B to Metro line 4. A transfer at St Michel may be preferable as Gare du Nord is a large station and will require orientation time.

b. Air France operates a bus service from CDG direct to Gare Montparnasse. Allow 1:15 hours.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used the phone app Captain train throughout France last year ... So easy ... But after a while I REALIZED it was very easy just to get the ticket from the station but I could still check the train times using the app .

Montparnasse Paris has trains to Bayonne ... I got one at 1020am ... The journey is roughly 5 hours ... From Bayonne train station you can get a train to. St. Jean de Pied de Port .... Or stay one night in Bayonne and leAve next day ..

I stayed overnight at Bayonne Ibis Styles which was near the station and I had booked it on booking.com

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I was able to print out my ticket from the SNCF site when I ordered it. Don't remember exactly how I did it, but it worked.

I really appreciate everyone's help. I just booked my ticket from CDG to Bayonne, which is the last ticket I have to book before I fly out from the US on Dec 11 for my first Camino trip. Maybe next time I will choose to fly to Madrid or Barcelona if I have known better. Thanks again!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I really appreciate everyone's help. I just booked my ticket from CDG to Bayonne, which is the last ticket I have to book before I fly out from the US on Dec 11 for my first Camino trip. Maybe next time I will choose to fly to Madrid or Barcelona if I have known better. Thanks again!

Glad it worked out for you. Enjoy the ride. Being a railroad frea . . . . . er . . . . . enthusiast, I was in heaven from the time I left CDG until I reached Bayonne. And it's much easier just to catch the train at CDG instead of schlepping into Paris to catch a train there.

And the Cote Basque Hotel is just across the street from the Bayonne station. Not as nice as the Ibis that was mentioned above, but still a decent place. And if you arrive at 10:30 PM as I did, it's nice just to have to cross the street. But the Ibis is pretty close too.

Attachments

• 2014-04-30 13.30.21.jpg
    2014-04-30 13.30.21.jpg
    618.6 KB · Views: 5
In 2011 I loved the train from CDG to Bayonne, I think there was a transfer in Bordeaux. The adventure started outside Bordeaux when the train broke down and we had to wait on the side of the tracks for a replacement. By listening, I found some english speaking people there and we chatted all the way to Bayonne. I stayed at the Ibis, easy to find and a short walk back to the train station in the morning. Ahhh, the memories. Have a great adventure.

Hello there - has anybody taken the train recently from CDG to Bayonne? Is a 10 minute transfer time at Bordeaux St-Jean sufficient for a trip on August 26th, 2015?

14:09 Aéroport-Paris-Roissy-Charles-de-Gaulle CDG
18:37 Bordeaux St-Jean
TGV 5218

10 min transfer time

18:47 Bordeaux St-Jean
20:44 Bayonne
TER 67237

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Yes the 10 minutes are usually sufficient to make the transfer. The TGV departing from Bordeaux usually waits for the passengers arriving on the Paris train. If by chance the train from Paris is late go to the Bordeaux office of the station master/chef de gare, show your tickets and they should arrange a new ticket for you to Bayonne.

Good luck and Bon voyage!

Last edited:

In 2014 I tried to book ahead for travel from Paris to Bayonne for late March of this year The SNCF websites - I used SNCF Voyages - do not offer tickets more than 90 days ahead but, if you key in your details, they have a system whereby they send you an email as soon as the tickets for your date become available, and the prices offered for booking so far ahead are very good. I was travelling in France prior to starting the Camino and the cost for all tickets - London St Pancras to Lille, then to Burgundy, from Dijon to Paris (1st class), Paris to Bayonne (1st class) - cost the princely sum of £110. I don't know if this system is available for travellers in the US, but it is worth a try. Buen Camino

Hello there - has anybody taken the train recently from CDG to Bayonne? Is a 10 minute transfer time at Bordeaux St-Jean sufficient for a trip on August 26th, 2015?

14:09 Aéroport-Paris-Roissy-Charles-de-Gaulle CDG
18:37 Bordeaux St-Jean
TGV 5218

10 min transfer time

18:47 Bordeaux St-Jean
20:44 Bayonne
TER 67237

Here is information for Gare Saint Jean in Bordeaux. If you clik the button for 'Plan de la Gare' you will find a virtual tour. Note there are several tracks side by each with platforms connected by a tunnel. There are overhead signs showing which train leaves from which platform. You should have no difficulty getting off the train, determining which platform your next train leaves from, and getting there in the time allotted.
http://www.gares-sncf.com/fr/gare/frboj/bordeaux-saint-jean

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

I am 82 years old. I have walked all but 250k of the Camino Frances alone, carrying my pack and staying in communal aubergues in 2017 and 18 and loving it! I am now on a mission to walk the final...
Can someone please confirm that if you fly with Ryanair from SDC to Madrid, that you will arrive at the Madrid-Barajas International airport? Such a simple question, yet incredibly frustrating...
Hola, does anyone know if you can pay for a single municipal bus ride within Santiago city limits by tapping one's contactless payment card, similar to a London bus? Or do you have to purchase a...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, I'm searching for any transportation ways to to get to sjpp from Biarritz. Would anyone let me know how to get to? I would like taking bus or train. Thank you.
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back