• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

booking trains in Lisbon

Kiwi-family

{Rachael, the Mama of the family}
Time of past OR future Camino
walking every day for the rest of my life
Is it worth booking a train to Porto frm NZ or should we just wait and get a ticket at the station on the day? ie do they fill up completely?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Is it worth booking a train to Porto frm NZ or should we just wait and get a ticket at the station on the day? ie do they fill up completely?
depends which train you are intending to take. the fast trains from lisboa to porto fill up faster .... the slow-mo regional trains wouldn't need reservations.
i booked porto - santarem one day ahead and was fine. (bought ticket at station the day prior)
August is usually the busiest time portugal... when are you traveling?

We'll be arriving in Lisbon at 22:20 on Sunday 7th June after a 36hr flight from NZ. We'll go directly to the hostel at Rossio so we are in the right place to catch the train from. In a way we'd like to book last minute if possible - if we sleep late that would be useful, but if we wake early we'd hop on a train and get moving to have more time in Porto. The flexibility would be good - otherwise we'd go with the early train and catch up on sleep later!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
There is the Inter-Cidades (IC) and Alfa-Pendular (AP), but also the inter-regional (IR). You'll want to get the IC or AP. At certain times around weekend, buying tickets close to departure times might not work.
Monday morning shouldn't be a problem.

You can also take the bus! We took the bus in the other direction, from Oporto to Lisbon with no prior booking.

We can't answer the question for you.

What is the worst that could happen if you can't get on the train when you wish to travel?

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I thought someone might know if the trains regularly get booked out (like in China) or if there are always seats free (like in NZ!)
I've just seen that there's a promotion - 15 euros so we are going to book once we know where we're staying so that we can leave from the closest station.

Hi, Kiwi-family,

I have only taken the train between Porto and Lisbon once but it was a mid-week day and there was no problem walking up to the booth and getting my ticket right before departure. It was the high speed alfa-pendular, which I would recommend.

There are only two train stations in Lisbon (but the schedules may show stops along the way in between for the commuter stops that connect them). If you want to be in old downtown Lisbon, you will depart from Santa Apolonia. The fancy Calatrava-designed Oriente station is out at the Parque das Nacoes, the Expo river site with a nice river walk, new hotels, a shopping mall, the aquarium, etc.

Are you looking for an albergue type place, a fancy splurge, or something in between? Bom caminho, Laurie

If you know for sure exactly which train you want to catch it is cheaper to book in advance. While I was in Portugal for a couple of months I would buy my intercity ticket at least 5 days in advance for a MUCH cheaper price than buying it on the day.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
We will be staying at Surflab which is 3km from the airport and 5km from Santa Apollonian going via the cathedral. So a perfect location. Unfortunately, by the time they had replied the 15euro promotion was over.
There are still tickets for 24,30 - jsalt are you suggesting they will be more expensive if we wait until the day?

There are still tickets for 24,30 - jsalt are you suggesting they will be more expensive if we wait until the day?

Hi
This might help, from the Portuguese rail website https://www.cp.pt/
Jill

Advance purchases

Travel at cut-price rates on Alfa Pendular and Intercidades trains to all destinations.

The Alfa Pendular and Intercidades trains are ideal for travelling for business or leisure. Your journeys are faster, safer, more comfortable and even more economical.

Buy your tickets in 5 days of advance and travel with 40% off to all destinations and in all classes.

Make the most of the cut-price fares: Lisbon/Oporto for just €13.50

• Your discount could be even higher, depending on the train you want to catch. We have 1,000 seats a week between Lisbon and Oporto for €13.50, if you travel in tourist/2nd class on the Alfa Pendular trains 121, 129, 180 or 136 and on the Intercidades train 531.

• Leaving Lisbon at 06:00, 20:00 and 22:00 or Oporto at 05:47 and 20:47.

• All intermediate stations where these trains stop also benefit from this discount.

Hi
This might help, from the Portuguese rail website https://www.cp.pt/
Jill

Advance purchases

Travel at cut-price rates on Alfa Pendular and Intercidades trains to all destinations.

The Alfa Pendular and Intercidades trains are ideal for travelling for business or leisure. Your journeys are faster, safer, more comfortable and even more economical.

Buy your tickets in 5 days of advance and travel with 40% off to all destinations and in all classes.

Make the most of the cut-price fares: Lisbon/Oporto for just €13.50

• Your discount could be even higher, depending on the train you want to catch. We have 1,000 seats a week between Lisbon and Oporto for €13.50, if you travel in tourist/2nd class on the Alfa Pendular trains 121, 129, 180 or 136 and on the Intercidades train 531.

• Leaving Lisbon at 06:00, 20:00 and 22:00 or Oporto at 05:47 and 20:47.

• All intermediate stations where these trains stop also benefit from this discount.
Hi Jull
I saw this on the site, but when I plugged in an actual date, the price came up as 30,30, not 13,50.
I'm waiting to see if another 15 euro deal comes up!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Kiwi, maybe you inputed a date which is not 5 days after current date or is more than 60 days from current date. I checked on the website and the promotions do appear complying with these date restrictions.

Kiwi, maybe you inputed a date which is not 5 days after current date or is more than 60 days from current date. I checked on the website and the promotions do appear complying with these date restrictions.
8 June!
Lisboa Santa Apolonia to Porto Campanha
0600 is 30,30 for second class

Maybe there's some special way to enter the details???

I've found the problem - I was just looking at the schedule, not the booking page.
Two tickets booked, paid for and printed out. 15 euros each so we could leave at a reasonable hour!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I thought someone might know if the trains regularly get booked out (like in China) or if there are always seats free (like in NZ!)
I've just seen that there's a promotion - 15 euros so we are going to book once we know where we're staying so that we can leave from the closest station.

You will have no pressure with tickets in Portugal , bus or train.
We love this country and people very, very much.
They regard themselves as Atlantic not European.
They could sail pretty well all those years ago.
And the only way to Lisbon is in the lane ways and you climb , climb and climb.
Then a square appears , the fires are going and a couple will appear and cook for all the people in the area.
It must not be missed, they are a very warm country.

A bit after the fact, but i think youve done well. We travelled same rout although on a friday evening end march and train was packed to capacity up to coimbra. Also booked via web without any difficulties. Caught the train from station close to alfama after awesome late autumn evening on one to of the plazas.

Most read last week in this forum

A piece from La Voz de Galicia commenting on the remarkable growth in numbers walking the Camino Portugues and especially the Coastal variant. The president of the local Amigos association...
Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Greetings fellow pilgrims! I'm planning our journey from Porto to Vigo, beginning on Senda Litoral and eventually merging into the coastal route. Does anyone have recommendations a good place to...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back