• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Booking Travel while on the Camino

Camino@robbie

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2018 Camino Frances
Has anyone every left your travel plans up in the air while walking the Camino Frances? Here is my situation. I have 21 walking days and will be starting in SJPDP on May 18th. I already have a flight to CDG booked and a train booked to SJPDP. I also have a flight booked home on June 9th from Madrid.

I just cannot decide if I will just walk 21 straight day until I run out of time and take a train/bus from there to Madrid. Or if I will move ahead and end up in Santiago. Should I maybe pre book both a Flight from Santiago and a train/bus from Leon?

I guess in the end my question is will I be able to book travel as I go or do seats fill up and booking 1-2 day in advance is not a good idea. I just don’t want to corner myself into ending in Santiago if things are going well along the way and I don’t want to move ahead.

Thanks!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Welcome to the Forum, Robbie!

I would start out free and flexible and not worry about it for now. As you walk, you'll get a feeling for where you'll want to end up and then can start thinking about booking things to get back to Madrid for your June 9th flight. Even if you book travel a couple days or a week in advance to get back to Madrid, it should be fine as long as you don't mind paying more expensive fares for last-minute seats (if it comes to that).

For example, if you end up in Santiago, there are multiple options to get back to Madrid (bus, train, flight), and you should be able to find something to bring you to Madrid even if you're only booking a few days in advance.

Buen Camino!
Faith

Hi Robbie,

Agree with Faith, I'd hold off at least until you're a few days in and have a better of how you're getting on. I booked my flight to Madrid three days before I got to Santiago and while it would have been cheaper booking earlier I valued the flexibility and it wasn't much more than €100. Train and bus work too but are much slower.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
If its not important top you to finish in Santiago and get a compostella (ie. walk the last 100kms), then just walk and see how far you get; 21 days could get you to Leon, depending on how far you walk each day and rest days etc.

If its not important top you to finish in Santiago and get a compostella (ie. walk the last 100kms), then just walk and see how far you get; 21 days could get you to Leon, depending on how far you walk each day and rest days etc.
I go back and forth on my desire to get a compostella. Right now I don't have plans on going back, but of course that might change. It does seem wrong to go over and not end up in Santiago, but I know a bunch of people have done part one year and headed back to complete the journey.

We had our travel plans in the air when walking. We started on July 7 in Roncesvalles. I knew we needed to be in Buñol, Valencia at the end of August. I was pretty confident that we had more than enough time to do that and there were going to be extra days in between, but I didn't know how many there would be, so I wasn't sure how/where we'd spend them. In the end, we got a ride share to Madrid from Santiago and had no problem making other travel arrangements without weeks of notice.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I go back and forth on my desire to get a compostella. Right now I don't have plans on going back, but of course that might change. It does seem wrong to go over and not end up in Santiago, but I know a bunch of people have done part one year and headed back to complete the journey.

We are on our fourth year this year; SJPdP to Pamplona, Pamplona to Burgos, Burgos to Leon, and in June we will finish Leon to Santiago. But Ireland is a lot easier to get back to Spain than North Dakota.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 82 years old. I have walked all but 250k of the Camino Frances alone, carrying my pack and staying in communal aubergues in 2017 and 18 and loving it! I am now on a mission to walk the final...
Can someone please confirm that if you fly with Ryanair from SDC to Madrid, that you will arrive at the Madrid-Barajas International airport? Such a simple question, yet incredibly frustrating...
Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, I'm searching for any transportation ways to to get to sjpp from Biarritz. Would anyone let me know how to get to? I would like taking bus or train. Thank you.
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back