• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Booking with 1 company?

Canucks

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino frances, SJPDP to Santiago (2013), Le Puy to SJPDP (2014), Porto to Santiago (2019)
We are planning to go on the Camino from SJPDP to santiago starting mid September 2013. We were considering booking through a company such as Macs Adventures as they can book all accommodations at once and we prefer to stay in places with private rooms and bath on this trip.

Any experiences with doing it this way or specifically with Macs?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I know a couple who recently did it like that. They liked the fact that they always knew they had good accommodation booked etc. However, it took away their flexibility. The itinerary was set, and if the weather was really hot, or they had blisters, they couldn't just change anything to please themselves.
Margaret

We are still in our planning stage and starting the training stage. We are inclined to stay in the albuquerques and treat ourselves to Saturday nights in a hotel for a real bed and hot bath - attend Mass Sunday mornings - then head back out on the trail. Of course this may all change as we want to go "with the flow" and not have to be anywhere at an exact time to eliminate pressure on how fast we walk etc.

Buen Camino
Dale

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi, Canucks,

I helped a friend when she planned her camino last fall. She didn't want to stay in albergues and wanted to have things all set up. She had considered several companies probably similar to the one you mention and showed them to me. When I saw the price, I nearly flipped and told her we could do it ourselves for 1/5 the price. And we did. It's easy to make reservations, many places have email, and phone calls can be very cheap (I have a plan in the US with 3 cents a minute calls to spain land lines, which is cheaper that what it costs me to call within Spain when I'm walking with my Spanish mobile phone!). It wasn't hard to do. As kiwinomad says, though, it really ties you down and I personally wouldn't want to have so little flexibility.

A happy medium might be to have a good guide book and just call a day or two in advance from the Camino once you're walking. Though I usually stay in albergues, I often take a break and stay in private places and I've never had a problem finding good options a day or so in advance. No matter how well laid your plans, I think most people find that they just can't predict how every day will go and are happy to have the ability to speed up, slow down, or take a day off. Buen camino, Laurie

In addition to Laurie's sage advice, could I suggest they prepare a list of hotels/pensions with contact details in each place before they go, then they can easily ring ahead a couple of days and make bookings on the hoof - that way they keep their flexibility (which may be more important than they realise from the comfort of their armchairs at home) AND have the secure knowledge that there will be somewhere that meets their requirements at the end of each day.
They could bring home for you a gazillion Santiago tarts with a small portion of the money they'll save!
That's win-win.

If you want private accomodation and are going in September there is no reason to tie yourself to some travel company. We almost never stay in albergues, and we never book ahead. We have done months on the trails, all shoulder season, and we just stay where it looks nice. I can count the days we had to search for a room on half a hand.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I would second Newfydog. In five caminos, and I used primarily private accommodation in four of them, I only twice had trouble finding a nice room and that was during the national holiday on October 12. Usually, your innkeeper will happily book a room for you at your next stop if you wish, but I found it just as easy to walk into a village or town and find something. The confraternity guide provides a list of places to stay, as does gronze and gocamino. I would suggest to you that the daily evening Masses along the way might be more interesting than Sunday Masses which fairly few pilgrims attend, but this is really a matter of personal preference.

I know that many North Americans like to have things arranged by companies but I do wonder if it is worth the money unless you are on a walking tour with a guide who is very knowledgeable in the art and history of the Camino.

Thanks for all of the great replies. We have decided to do the booking along the way rather than have it all booked ahead. There are great resources that we have found and the comments above give the necessary feeling of comfort that all will be well....thank you!!

I am leaving Leon on 20th May. I too have considered booking with Macs, but as you have said, it can be done so much cheaper if I do it myself. I would rather book as I go to leave some flexibility but will I have trouble finding private accommodation at this time of the year? I have never travelled on my own and my biggest fear is not being able to find a room for the night!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Don't worry about finding a bed. It really is not a problem.
Don't let the worry ruin your adventure. Make your plans, do some training and go!
It will all fall in place as it does for everyone.

For many people, the Camino is the first experience of travelling alone. It is such a nurturing experience though that you never feel alone.

You might feel better if you book your first night's accommodation before you leave home. After that see how you feel. You might surprise yourself and decide to stay in the albergues rather than in private accommodation.

Try not to concern yourself about where you're going to sleep, it has a habit of working itself out.

I am using a luggage transport service as I have a 5 week tour of Europe once I finish the Camino (also I have very dodgy knees). Does using a transport service preclude me from staying in alburges?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
We stayed in albergues, casa rurals, hostales, hotels -- the whole range (September 2012). JacoTrans carried my backpack most of the way -- they were very helpful. The only thing required for staying in albergues that we found was your credencial.

Municipal and parochial albergues generally do not accept backpacks from transport services. The transport services have lists of the places that will accept backpacks. Sometimes it is a bar near the municipal albergue to make it look like you carried your backpack. The purpose is to make beds available to those who have struggled mightily to arrive! When daypackers take those beds, they are viewed as tourists looking for a cheap holiday. It is a generalization that often is not fair. I walked with a one-legged pilgrim who could not carry a backpack and still maneuver on his crutches, so he used a baggage service. He walked every step from SJPdP to Fisterra. He was never turned away because of his special circumstance, but others with less visible limitations might be.

Have a great walk!

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back