• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bookings

JodiC

Time of past OR future Camino
French route 2018
I have learned so much in such a short time here in this forum. First I want to thank you all :)

The question I have is which area should we make reservations to stay other than Roncesvalles? I understand most we could walk to but some may be better to schedule... Any suggestions on what areas? :) thank you so much for your help :) Jodi

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I gather from your other threads that you are planning to walk from SJPP in May. This will be one of the busiest months of the year. I'd suggest booking your first night in SJPP. I haven't walked at that time of year, but have followed the reports here on the forum quite closely.

Sometimes people find themselves in a crowd as they walk across the country and caught up in a bed race, so they find it better to book ahead. On the other hand, some people others find themselves in albergues with empty beds only a week after a crowd has passed through. More people start walking in the major centres on weekends, so that might account for some of the peaks and troughs in traffic.

If I were going in May, I would probably book in advance up to and including Pamplona, as it is not so hard to predict the first 3 walking days. Then I would play it by ear. I would have a smart phone with Spanish SIM card and some data and talk time, and I'd have a couple of booking apps/sites on my phone that I am familiar with. I would book something in Santiago at least a week before I get there. If I knew for sure when my last day would be (say, because of a flight out) I would even book that in advance of travelling.

If you arrive in a city that receives lots of visitors, on a weekend during high season, you can expect to spend more time and money before you find suitable accommodation. For example, Burgos and Leon.

Since you are also not sure of your walking itinerary, given your questions about walking long daily distances and jumping ahead to make up time, it is probable that reserving only a few days before would be appropriate.

I gather from your other threads that you are planning to walk from SJPP in May. This will be one of the busiest months of the year. I'd suggest booking your first night in SJPP. I haven't walked at that time of year, but have followed the reports here on the forum quite closely.

Sometimes people find themselves in a crowd as they walk across the country and caught up in a bed race, so they find it better to book ahead. On the other hand, some people others find themselves in albergues with empty beds only a week after a crowd has passed through. More people start walking in the major centres on weekends, so that might account for some of the peaks and troughs in traffic.

If I were going in May, I would probably book in advance up to and including Pamplona, as it is not so hard to predict the first 3 walking days. Then I would play it by ear. I would have a smart phone with Spanish SIM card and some data and talk time, and I'd have a couple of booking apps/sites on my phone that I am familiar with. I would book something in Santiago at least a week before I get there. If I knew for sure when my last day would be (say, because of a flight out) I would even book that in advance of travelling.

If you arrive in a city that receives lots of visitors, on a weekend during high season, you can expect to spend more time and money before you find suitable accommodation. For example, Burgos and Leon.

Since you are also not sure of your walking itinerary, given your questions about walking long daily distances and jumping ahead to make up time, it is probable that reserving only a few days before would be appropriate.

Thank you so much for the information. I will do that. This really helps me out while planning.. We want to really experience to be a good one :) Thank you again for your time.. Jodi

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hi Jodi,

Loving your enthusiam. Oh to be planning my first Camino again. A couple of questions; where are you from and what time do you anticipate starting out each day?

I ask the first question because if you're in the EU data is relatively cheap and you can afford to use your smartphone (assuming you have one) to make bookings as needed along the way. I ask the second because if you're an early bird who's happy to get moving before most you're far less to end up scrambling for a bed later in the day than someone who likes a leisurely start and only gets moving at 8 or later.

It might also be worth checking if there are any major festivals or events in places along the way at times you anticipate being there. It was thanks to this forum thatI became aware I was going to be entering Pamplona during the running of the bulls and was able to make alternative arrangements.

Rob.

If I were going in May, I would probably book in advance up to and including Pamplona, as it is not so hard to predict the first 3 walking days. Then I would play it by ear.

Completely agree based on my experience in early May 2015.

Tom

Completely agree based on my experience in early May 2015.

Tom

Think this illustrates how unpredictable the camino is. I was walking at the same time as you and only on one very long day with a late finish on the Mesta did I have any accomodation issues and that was only because we needed 4 beds.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Jodi,

Loving your enthusiam. Oh to be planning my first Camino again. A couple of questions; where are you from and what time do you anticipate starting out each day?

I ask the first question because if you're in the EU data is relatively cheap and you can afford to use your smartphone (assuming you have one) to make bookings as needed along the way. I ask the second because if you're an early bird who's happy to get moving before most you're far less to end up scrambling for a bed later in the day than someone who likes a leisurely start and only gets moving at 8 or later.

It might also be worth checking if there are any major festivals or events in places along the way at times you anticipate being there. It was thanks to this forum thatI became aware I was going to be entering Pamplona during the running of the bulls and was able to make alternative arrangements.

Rob.
Hi Rob :) Yes I am very excited for many reasons :) This group is so great!! Well it all depends how much fun we are having :) but it will probably early like out the door by 7. I'm from CA she's from OK. I will check that too :)

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.