• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Books by Women Walking

Smokey596

Time of past OR future Camino
Never done it...planning for the next year or two!
Hello all! First post...planning to do the Camino in 2021. I almost wrote "hopefully", but no...I will do it! :) Anyway I'm obviously starting to do a lot of reading about it and am especially looking forward to reading the forum posts. But I also really enjoy reading first hand accounts of walking and memoirs. I've read a few, but what I would really like is something I can relate to better.

So I'm looking for recommendations of books that are first hand accounts by women walking solo...especially maybe something humorous or maybe someone who was unsure about it. So really not looking for books about group or buddy walks or by experienced, young, fit women.

There are so many books out there it's hard to find, even with Google, but I'm hoping with all of the experience here someone might have some suggestions. I hope I'm not being too picky or pesty. Thank you in advance for any suggestions!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Cindy Arledge wrote a wonderful book about her experience on the Camino. It is titled "My Camino, My Life." You can get it on Amazon either on Kindal or Hardcover. I highly recommend this book.

I am sure that other members on this site have some great recommendations too.

Buen Camino,

Dennis D

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello all! First post...planning to do the Camino in 2021. I almost wrote "hopefully", but no...I will do it! :) Anyway I'm obviously starting to do a lot of reading about it and am especially looking forward to reading the forum posts. But I also really enjoy reading first hand accounts of walking and memoirs. I've read a few, but what I would really like is something I can relate to better.

So I'm looking for recommendations of books that are first hand accounts by women walking solo...especially maybe something humorous or maybe someone who was unsure about it. So really not looking for books about group or buddy walks or by experienced, young, fit women.

There are so many books out there it's hard to find, even with Google, but I'm hoping with all of the experience here someone might have some suggestions. I hope I'm not being too picky or pesty. Thank you in advance for any suggestions!
Give 'What the Psychic told the Pilgrim' by Canadian author Jane Christmas a go;

Humorous....✔
Her first walk...✔
She was unsure/uncertain...✔✔
Of a 'certain age' bracket...✔

I read it before my first Camino (CF in 2012) & then again when I returned home. A very entertaining read at least but she nails many aspects of the transformative effect in a light hearted way. Spot on with her observations of different nationalities on the trail too.
Enjoy!
👣 🌏

you might find my blog from my Portuguese Camino spring 2019 helpful? It is first hand and I walked as a solo women
https://sound-and-bites.home.blog/

you might find my blog from my Portuguese Camino spring 2019 helpful? It is first hand and I walked as a solo women
https://sound-and-bites.home.blog/
Cindy Arledge wrote a wonderful book about her experience on the Camino. It is titled "My Camino, My Life." You can get it on Amazon either on Kindal or Hardcover. I highly recommend this book.

I am sure that other members on this site have some great recommendations too.

Buen Camino,

Dennis D
Dennis, thank you for the recommendation.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

I think you will enjoy my book, My Camino, My Life. I share the details of my journey day by day. Many will make you laugh out loud. I had no hotel reservations, don't speak Spanish and had plantar fasciitis before I left.

Thank you all for the suggestions so far! I'm going to check them out, and I welcome more. I especially like the "Grandma" one. :D Perhaps I'm not quite considered a "grandma", it certainly leaves me some room!

I think you will enjoy my book, My Camino, My Life. I share the details of my journey day by day. Many will make you laugh out loud. I had no hotel reservations, don't speak Spanish and had plantar fasciitis before I left.

I ordered it today, Cindy!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

I 2nd the book "What the Psychic Told the Pilgrim"
I also enjoyed Walk in a Relaxed Manner by Joyce Rupp.

As an aside from your specific request, Smokey, let me also offer you a big welcome to the Forum :) Below is a link which also may be of help as you begin.

American Pilgrims on Camino's FAQs about a camino pilgrimage

The good news is, you are in a forum with a wonderful group of people. Most are here to help people like you to achieve their pilgrimage goals. We can offer you encouragement, knowledge, and point you in the direction that will help you help yourself.

My suggestion to start is this:
  1. Take a deep breath. Write down in large letters the reasons why you want to go on Camino. Place that piece of paper where you can see it every day. That way, if anxieties and fears threaten to overwhelm you as you plan, you can just breath, read what you have written, and focus on those reasons until the negative stuff fades.
  2. Make a list of questions and concerns that you have.
  3. Go to the Search Engine at the top of the Forum pages.
  4. Enter the words or phrase that you want more information about. You will get a huge amount of information to explore.
  5. If you find that you need help with anything, post a new thread so that your question or concern can be readily seen. If you post a question within someone else's thread, you won't receive as big of a response.
  6. Remember that perfect timing as it relates to how you feel, scheduling, and day to day life issues, seldom align themselves perfectly. If one waits for such to occur, doing something like a pilgrimage will always be in danger of taking a back seat while you wait for that perfect alignment to happen.

Well, before I started my pilgrimage to Rome, I read the book Wild by Cheryl Strayed. Of course it's not about the camino, but it still might give a little bit perspective. It really helped me to know that there are more women hiking a big trail, being as (un)prepared as me. You will probably be a lot more prepared than you think, when you allready know now that you will be doing this in 2021. I thought about going about two months before my 2000+km pilgrimage. And I nailed it, without any experience or survival skills. Ok, I might have allmost died just once or twice, but you learn to not make dogs angry or do a 20 km walk during a thunderstorm in the mountains :)

It turned out to be a lot easier than I thought it would be.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Paula Constant wrote two books I recommend. She started in London, walked through England, France and Spain, then turned left down through Portugal, across to Morocco, and eventually crosses the Sahara.
She started walking with her husband, then their marriage broke up and she continued alone.
"Slow Journey South", and then followed it up "Sahara" as she continued on foot.
Both great books.

The other book that I really enjoyed and was one of the reasons I became interested in the Camino
"The Year we Seized the Day" by Elizabeth Best and Colin Bowles

The book is written by them both, a chapter each.

Elizabeth Best had always wanted to go on a pilgrimage. Colin Bowles had never given it a moment's thought. But by a twist of fate the two barely acquainted writers seize the day and drop everything to retrace one of the oldest pilgrimage routes in the Western world, through the heart of Spain to Santiago de Compostela. It was meant to be a stroll in the sun, but they're under-prepared and carrying way too much baggage, in every sense. Bound by a promise and fueled by local vino, what starts out as a physical challenge—500 miles, give or take—quickly becomes an epic tale of tragedy, triumph, and fierce loyalty as a scenic walk through mystic lands gives rise to far greater personal journeys. Set amidst the olive groves, rolling hills, castles, and cathedrals of northern Spain and featuring a supporting cast of eccentrics—from mad monks to angry nuns, Lycra-clad cyclists, international soul seekers, and boisterous boy scouts, this is an inspiring, moving, and blackly funny account of two hapless pilgrims on an extraordinary journey to the end of the earth and beyond.

Last edited:
Paula Constant wrote two books I recommend. She started in London, walked through England, France and Spain, then turned left down through Portugal, across to Morocco, and eventually crosses the Sahara.
She started walking with her husband, then their marriage broke up and she continued alone.
"Slow Journey South", and then followed it up "Sahara" as she continued on foot.
Both great books.

The other book that I really enjoyed and was one of the reasons I became interested in the Camino
"The Year we Seized the Day" by Elizabeth Best and Colin Bowles

The book is written by them both, a chapter each.

Elizabeth Best had always wanted to go on a pilgrimage. Colin Bowles had never given it a moment's thought. But by a twist of fate the two barely acquainted writers seize the day and drop everything to retrace one of the oldest pilgrimage routes in the Western world, through the heart of Spain to Santiago de Compostela. It was meant to be a stroll in the sun, but they're under-prepared and carrying way too much baggage, in every sense. Bound by a promise and fueled by local vino, what starts out as a physical challenge—500 miles, give or take—quickly becomes an epic tale of tragedy, triumph, and fierce loyalty as a scenic walk through mystic lands gives rise to far greater personal journeys. Set amidst the olive groves, rolling hills, castles, and cathedrals of northern Spain and featuring a supporting cast of eccentrics—from mad monks to angry nuns, Lycra-clad cyclists, international soul seekers, and boisterous boy scouts, this is an inspiring, moving, and blackly funny account of two hapless pilgrims on an extraordinary journey to the end of the earth and beyond.
Thank you for this recommendation Anamiri. Sounds like a book I would really enjoy!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
What a well written post. Are you a writer?

Thank you all for the continued suggestions. I finished Bill Bennett's "The Way My Way" today while on my lunch break and was a little weepy at the end.

And I appreciate the tips geared toward the newbie (me!) and will take them to heart!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Someone gave me a copy of "Sinning Across Spain" by Alisa Piper last year. It describes the author's Camino from Granada to SdC:

The author had an interesting angle for her Camino - carrying sins for people. But I found the writing just okay.

Just a note-unrelated to the books- that 2021 is a Holy Year and the numbers of pilgrims will increase significantly. Something to factor into your planning and timing!

Oh my! Thank you for reminding me of that! I may actually try to make it next year then. I'll have to think on this.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Sunrise in Spain by Theresa Fresch Excellent first hand account. Well written, portrays a very realistic journey. Available on Amazon

"The Way of Stars and Stones", written by Wilma Wilkinson, a South African who walked the Camino in winter on her own, I think about 10 years ago. This I bought in Cape Town when I just happened to mention the Camino to my brother and was overheard by a customer assistant in a bookshop who pointed me to the newly released book.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
II and several friends of a certain age really enjoyed Grandma's on the Camino by Mary O'Hara Wyman

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Oh my! Thank you for reminding me of that! I may actually try to make it next year then. I'll have to think on this.
I, like many, many others was planning my Camino for September 2020. When I realized postponing it one year wold coincide with the holy year, I reluctantly began to plan for 2022. It cheered me somewhat to know that 2021 would be extra full with all the 2020s that couldn't go. I don't want to walk in a herd. The Way will still be there--the same but also different.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Hi! There's two I can think of:
A Hug for the Apostle - Laurie Dennett (sadly out of print it seems) and
Leslee Watt - Wide Open (Camino portugués)

Hi! There's two I can think of:
A Hug for the Apostle - Laurie Dennett (sadly out of print it seems) and
Leslee Watt - Wide Open (Camino portugués)
A Hug for the Apostle just went back into print in 2019 with a new, revised edition. It is available in paperback and also seems to be available in audio book format on Audible.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Two Non-Camino books about women walking solo: Wild by Cheryl Strayed and Tracks by Robyn Davidson.

A few more to add to the list from my collection:
- Following the Milky Way: A Pilgrimage across Spain by Ellen O. Feinberg
- The Pilgrim's Stone: One Woman's Unpredictable and Authentic Journey by Heather Gauthier
- Blanket of Stars: Thru-Hiking the Camino de Santiago by C.W. Lockhart
- Sinning Across Spain: Walking the Camino by Ailsa Piper

I have other first-hand accounts by women, but these are the ones who were walking solo and which don't seem to have already been mentioned above.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I just wrote a post about this - and listed all the books written about the Camino by women authors. Seems we are in the minority:

https://www.thecrackpotwriter.com/books-about-the-camino-written-by-women-authors/
Very well written - I shall forward the link to my better half.

Prior to our first Camino, my wife struggled to find a packing list for women, but thankfully she found Elle Bieling's website which did have one. (I've not seen any others since). But having done a Camino now, we understand that info by women for women can be a big help.

A few more to add to the list from my collection:
- Following the Milky Way: A Pilgrimage across Spain by Ellen O. Feinberg
- The Pilgrim's Stone: One Woman's Unpredictable and Authentic Journey by Heather Gauthier
- Blanket of Stars: Thru-Hiking the Camino de Santiago by C.W. Lockhart
- Sinning Across Spain: Walking the Camino by Ailsa Piper

I have other first-hand accounts by women, but these are the ones who were walking solo and which don't seem to have already been mentioned above.
Hello David, I recently finished (End of October) Sinning Across Spain.... It is not a book I would have normally picked up, but it worked out that I did. Ailsa Piper is an extremely fast walker, and it affects her Caminos. She is not religious, but she is spiritual. This is the kind of author that will appeal to many kinds of people, but I think those just off a center will find the most enjoyment from her writings. Don't get me wrong, I liked her book and consider myself religiously balanced.
I recommend reading this book. It covers such a broad range - the nature of loving relationships, death, renewal, and grief. She walks so fast she takes my breath away as she reports on her daily Camino walk and her experiences. Have fun reading it.

What a great topic for a dissertation! To begin read some of the early 20th c descriptions by Georgina Goddard King and published c1920. Begin to research her and her Spanish journeys in this earlier Forum thread

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

My father read a book about the Camino written by a Catholic Priest from a small town in Europe. The book was fairly detailed in capturing life of pilgrim. We have perused all pics of books on...
This book by Katherine Lack landed on my doormat last week. I ordered it having found her Frontstalag 142, The Internment Diary of an English Lady fascinating, not least because my grandmother and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.