• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Books - not guide - about Le Puy Route??

Katia Taam

Time of past OR future Camino
Every year, since 2000. Most times portuguese camino also twice the french camiño. Two time Le Puy .
I´m walking Le Puy route next year and will love to read some books ... Can someone help me??
Katia

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Katia,

To start your reading about the Le Puy route you might enjoy the novel Saint-Jacques ...La Mecque by Coline Serreau published 2005 by Flammarion. You can buy the book and the later movie version on Amazon. Basically this is the story of four adult siblings, three men and one woman, who do not get along and who must walk the Le Puy camino in order to receive their inheritance. Additionally it is a story of whom they meet on their journey and how everyone changes along the way.

Happy reading and Bon Chemin,

Margaret Meredith

Last edited:
Katia,

To start your reading about the Le Puy route you might enjoy the novel Saint-Jacques ...La Mecque by Coline Serreau published 2005 by Flamarrion. You can buy the book and the later movie version on Amazon . Basically this is the story of four adult siblings, three men and one woman, who do not get along and who must walk the Le Puy camino in order to receive their inheritance. Additionally it is a story of whom they meet on their journey and how everyone changes along the way.

Margaret Meredith

I did not realise there was a book. Love the film.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I did not realize there was a book as well. I have the film though and enjoy it very much from time to time. I'm beginning to formulate plans for the Chemin Le Puy during May of 2015.

Katia,

To start your reading about the Le Puy route you might enjoy the novel Saint-Jacques ...La Mecque by Coline Serreau published 2005 by Flammarion. You can buy the book and the later movie version on Amazon. Basically this is the story of four adult siblings, three men and one woman, who do not get along and who must walk the Le Puy camino in order to receive their inheritance. Additionally it is a story of whom they meet on their journey and how everyone changes along the way.

Margaret Meredith

Thanks Margaret!

Katia

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Before I walked from LePuy, I was given a copy of The Little Saint by Hannah Green. Not the best book I ever read, but it describes life in Conques, and explains about Sainte Foy, the saint whose jeweled golden reliquary is in the Conques Cathedral museum. Buen camino, Laurie

Laurie, no blog from Le Puy??

Katia

Laurie, no blog from Le Puy??

Katia

Hi, Katia,
I walked from LePuy in the early 2000s, so all I have are my handwritten journals. I almost went back last year, but my son wimped out on me and the Levante called me instead. I would love to return, maybe a LePuy to Santiago camino is in the cards as soon as I retire. :)

But if you're looking for blogs, there's a US couple on the LePuy route right now and though I haven't followed it regularly I have read a few great posts.

http://agoodwalkunspoiled.blogspot.com/ Just checked -- they are in St. Jean now, so you can read LePuy to St. Jean in its entirety! Buen camino, Laurie

Thank you so much Laurie, that´s exactly what I needed!! :)
Katia

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Katia,

As Laurie mentions above one of the major stops on the Le Puy route is
the Abbey of Saint Foy at Conques/ Abbatiale Sainte-Foy de Conques. Begun in 1040 it is a Romanesque masterpiece. Heavily mutilated during the French Revolution it was declared a national historic monument in 1840 and over the recent centuries slowly restored. In 1998 it was added to UNESCO's World Hertitage List. For those of us who love architecture to stay at Conques and slowly visit these abbey structures is a unforgettable experience. Try to read as much as possible about Conques before you arrive; to begin see this Sacred Destinations article.

Margaret Meredith

I read what I thought was an excellent book by the English author, Nicholas Luard. It is titled, "The Field of the Star". Be sure that you get that one, as there is another one with almost the same name, by Kevin Codd. It is about the Spanish portion only. Mr Luard's book is dated,so if you are looking for something up to date you might be disappointed. It is also more than just about the Camino, but also a about him coming to terms with his daughters illness and eventual death. It is beautifully written and so sad at times that it brought me to tears many times. He was a very courageous man to write such a personal and touching book. I have recommended it to others and they all have thought it is a wonderful book. I have good friends on the Le Puy route now, (well, yesterday they finished and are going to Santiago via the "Northern Route") and they have a blog It can be found on the net at http://agoodwalkunspoiled.blogspot.com/ It has a LOT of wonderful pictures that they took along the way.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks Margaret, thanks David!!

Katia

David
I´ve just ordered the Nicholas Luard book from Amazon.
Thanks for the tip!!
Katia

I´m walking Le Puy route next year and will love to read some books ... Can someone help me??
Katia
This might be out in time- we have just finished Le Puy to St Jean ( we did St J to Santiago a few years ago ). I will put my book about the Le Puy part on Amazon in a couple of months , probably end of September. ( it won't be expensive). It's a wonderful route and deserves to be promoted, although it seems the word is out - numbers are going up fast. We did the Cele Valley.
Maggie Ramsay
( The Italian Camino - Amazon)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Katia,

There's a brand new book out by Jenna Smith from Montreal called A Way: The Story of a Long Walk. She starts out in Le Puy and walks to Santiago with her husband Nic. She has a hilarious sense of humour, and deftly writes of the French scenery, guest houses and people she meets.

"My Camino in France" by Maggie Ramsay is just out on Amazon as an e-book. Four Aussies (for a part of it five Aussies) walking from Le Puy to St Jean. It's a fantastic pilgrim walk and we (mostly) had a ball. The path, through some of the most beautiful villages in France is a feast of spectacular scenery and breathtaking architecture. Of course, as pilgrims know, walking off the beaten track and in all weathers makes for a truckload of funny, fascinating and unexpected encounters.

I wrote a fictional piece about the Via Podiensis as a blog entry. The plot covers the route from Le Puy to Conques. The photos are mine, though artificially antiquated to fit the yarn.

I started writing as a discipline post-Camino and post-retirement, so professional finish is out of the question. Still, the story does cover the places visited and possible moods of a Le Puy pilgrim. In the main character's case, and maybe in my own case, the right "reason" was never there - but didn't need to be. If you know what I mean. (If I know what I mean.)
https://withtwist.wordpress.com/2012/08/04/the-thief-of-saint-faith/

Bon chemin

Rob (hoping to be back soon in Le Puy for the Way of Saint-Gilles!)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Have read all the blogs on this site. Would recommend them. Some of my friends prefer to be less well read and let the "wonder" of the camino take over.

Most read last week in this forum

We commenced walking the Via Podiensis on Saturday 13th April 2024. We are from Australia and find it easier to bring our stuff for the Camino in a suitcase, as we have extra clothes for before...
A special thank you to Dave Whitson for his shortcuts on the GR 65. We had a beautiful day walking by the river Lot into Cahors instead of the regular route. It takes a lot of work to create...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back