• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

books

majse

I have read statements from people who have walked the camino, and most seem to say that books are excess weight.
Normally I always have a novel or some other interesting reading around me, so the idea to be without is a little scary!

I am bringing one book though: "A pilgrims guide to the Camino de Santiago" by John Briarly.

It seems a very wonderful book with lots of good and sensible advice.

I have bought the pilgrimage book by paolo coelho too , but haven´t read it yet.

Are there any other guide books or other kinds that are recommended?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
by all means take a paperback, they weigh next to nothing after all, tho even a compulsive reader like myself finds little time to read on the camino

the pillars of the earth (ken follett) seemed to be a popular choice when i was walking

as for guidebooks: my first camino i walked with one, the second without
the waymarks, the hospitaleros, and the pamphlets handed out by the local tourist authority have all the information you need
plus the baristas, chat up the baristas, they know everything that's going on
and should the albergue be full and you need a cheap bed for the night, stop any random old lady on the street, i guarantee you she'll know una vieja viuda necesitosa who rents rooms on the sly

good grief! i just checked amazon: they have 375 listings for camino de santiago. i remember when it was just the jack hitt book (how i drank and partied my way across spain) and then the lee hoinacki book (how i pissed and moaned my way across spain)

anyway, check out roads to santiago by cees nooteboom-not a guidebook, more of a cultural history

Yes I did see there where lots of books thats why I ask which are good.

Thanks for the info - only I dont know what baristas are?

Maj

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have 3 that I have seen recommended here. The Confraternity (csj.org) sells booklets on each of the different paths. Also recommended are the books by Bethan Davies & Brierly. The Confraternity puts out a new booklet each year, based on what they hear back from the previous year's pilgrims & both the Davies & the Brierly books are recent editions. I just got these 2 from Amazon, so they should be on the search string that you put in.

Buen Camino!
dg

reading book

my suggestion, don't take one, by the time you get settled in a albergue, do laundry, eat , site see and visit, i found no time to read. i am glad i didn't have the extra weight. i took a magazine on the plane. i left it in st.j-p-d=port.
dawn

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back