• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Boot Repair

Scott Fraser

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 17&18; Podiensis 19, VdlP exSalamanca 22
Here's a tip for repairing your boots (or walking shoes) before, during or after a Camino. For my first Camino I bought a new pair of Asolo boots for a little over $200. They provided excellent support, but I began to notice excess wear on the outside edge of the heels. I think it's called "over pronation". By the end of the walk the heel was worn badly and I considered having the boots resoled before my second Camino earlier this year. A friend suggested I try a boot repair goo called "Aquaseal+SR", available online at REI and Amazon for about $8. I think there are similar products available in the UK and Europe. Following instructions on the package, I rebuilt the heels of both boots. The first repair lasted from Saint-Jean PdP to Leon, where I repeated the process. Now home from the second camino, and in preparation for walking the Le Puy to SJPdP next spring, I have rebuilt the heels for the third time. The results are shown in the photos below. Here's a video on how it's done -- the video features a UK product and I think you can skip the grinding of grooves in the heel.

I now have over 1000 miles on the boots with no need for a $100 re-sole job. I have also used this product to repair minor cracks in the toe of the boot, as well as wear on the inside of the uppers where one boot rubs the other. I am sure it would work well for an emergency repair in the event a sole begins to detach from the boot. I carry a tube in my pack for repairs enroute. It doesn't weigh much and as long as you have 24 hours to let the rubber cure properly it might save having to buy a new pair of shoes/boots while on the Camino.
image1.jpegimage2-1.jpeg

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Very useful stuff. There's also Sugru which comes in handy little sachets though I've never carried it on a Camino. Like the tip about using tape for a mold.

Great idea. I used Shoegoo from Amazon for running shoe repairs. Works great. I even repaired a hole in the bottom of my very old Tommy Bahama (I know!) soft sole shoes with the stuff! Love it!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
why go through all that and not go to a shoemaker? I have a friend you has a shoe marker shop and has been doing this for over 30 years. I trust him he gives me good deals and repairs my Keen boots to last for 2-3 Caminos.

A tip about some Asolos produced a few years back. I had three (different models) in storage and happened to see a YouTube about Asolo midsoles disintegrating, a chemical thing actually made worse by lack of use. I checked my Asolos and one had the soles right off. The two other pairs disintegrated when I tried to walk in them. Some people have had their Asolos fall apart while in extreme conditions or places. Seems it has even happened to some when their boots were new.

I'm told this "dry rot" is not restricted to Asolo, though I have other shoes like Columbia and La Sportiva which are as old or older but okay. In the US there is a service which replaces the midsole and sole on Asolo with one big solid Vibram, but here in Oz I just had to chuck the boots. All three pairs!

I emailed Asolo but there has been no response. Maybe they get quite a few emails about this.

To be fair, the problem may have been remedied in later productions but if I were to buy again I'd have to know for sure. It would be good if prospective buyers could get some sort of explanation or guarantee.

Just thought I'd mention this here in case someone is heading out in Asolos. I don't think I'm being unfair to the company in doing so.

Bon chemin guys

why go through all that and not go to a shoemaker? I have a friend you has a shoe marker shop and has been doing this for over 30 years. I trust him he gives me good deals and repairs my Keen boots to last for 2-3 Caminos.
I made the mistake of leaving a pair of boots in my conservatory/sun room where, on a sunny day, the temperature can get up to 47 degrees - yes in England.

The toe bumper on each delaminated and warped. Even our town's local shoerepairer (who works wonders on my daughters' ill treated, non hiking, boots) could not guarantee a decent job. The crease behind the toe had also cracked so they got binned - a shame as they were so comfortable. This method might have prolonged their life.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.