• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Boots again; wide and light boots sought

Stephen Lord

Hi, I'm early in the planning stages for a camino- even the route is not yet certain nor the mode of travel, as I have walked half the Via de la Plata and thought it begged to be bicycled. I don't mean to offend anyone by that remark and I shall be a considerate bike pilgrim if I ride the route.

But I am looking for lightweight boots, boots which would be suited for cycling in as well as walking. I don't want to wear my well broken in Raichle all-leather mountain boots, as they may be a bit heavy and hot for the camino, and the heels would be hard on the road sections that are all too numerous on the Via de la Plata. I'm thinking of perhaps the Raichle Sierra, a light (1300g/pair) boot, still with the unwanted Goretex lining, but a very good fit for my fit, which I think is the most important point for a long walk. I like a fairly supportive boot. Can anyone suggest anything else I should look at, or want to comment on the suitability of that boot? My concern would be that the boot doesn't deform or fall to bits on a long relentless walk.

Thanks,
Stephen Lord

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Trail Shoes

I've have good experience with the Merrell Reflex II Trail Shoe.

It's low cut, sturdy and is very stable. You still have to contend with the Gore Tex factor, though.

Guys - what is the problem with GoreTex lining? Do they wear wrong or break up? .... or..

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I bought a pair of Goretex lined walking shoes - and got horrible blisters (not sure if there was a join between different fabrics at back of the shoe)

The problem with walking in them in hot weather I understand is that they become too warm and sweaty

So I'm preferring to use ordinary walking shoes and, if rain, waterproof socks

Ah. I know it is not a good idea to buy boots without trying them on but I have really wide feet and always have a problem as walking boots are never wide enough for me. The cheapo boots I found in France before the pilgrimage were really wide, firm and comfortable. I still have them but they are on their last legs now - I just found a supplier in the States (Hurrah!)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0076541067

Hi-Tec Nova Lite 11 - and they are only about £21! (35 euros).

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.