• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Boots and trainers

Venado

Time of past OR future Camino
2012 Camino Frances 2017 Camino del Norte
Hi,
Been spending quite a bit on new kit/clothes etc for the camino frances I'll be starting at the end of April.
For the important items: rucksack, socks, footwear, I've chosen a Lowe Alpine Centro 35+10 pack(1,700g) and smartwool socks and liners. I've bought a pair of new balance 101 trail running shoes ( 221g) and also (recommended by the sales assistant at Go outdoors) a pair of scarpa Terra GTX boots ( 1210g).
At the moment I'm planning on taking both the boots and the trail shoes. Although can see the boots would add a lot of weight if I had to carry them. This afternoon I had a 2 hour walk, out through fields/trail and back on roads, wearing the boots and a half full backpack. Everything went well. No blisters or foot problems to report. The boots felt comfortable and ankles supported. I did have a bit of pain in my left hip however and I noticed after that my waterbottle was in a pouch on the left. Could it have been this imbalance in the backpack that caused the discomfort ?

Any comments welcome.

Regards

Paul

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
It might be reasonable to suspect that any large imbalance in your load will cause problems, but it really is only informed speculation, and your concerns could only be resolved by having an appropriately trained or experienced person observing what is happening.

That said, I prefer to carry my water in a hydration bladder that can be placed centrally in the pack and close to one's back. This reduces the problem of changing the axis of balance as the water is consumed.

Regards,

Hi Paul!
I'd have thought it unlikely that a water bottle would cause such a problem - unless it's HUGE! Maybe you could find out by moving its position so the bottle is at the back, centrally. I use a bottle belt, with a 500 ml bottle on the left side [so I can access it easily] and have no problem.
Buen camino!
Stephen
http://www.calig.co.uk/camino_de_santiago.htm

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Thanks Doug and Stephen for your replies.

The discomfort in my hip was probably due to my 53 year old bones not being used to carrying a rucksack for a couple of hours. I did have a back strain last October which was quite bad- for a week I couldn't walk in the mornings and I have had to visit a chiropractor in the past when I had leg and hip pains. She said it was all down to my bad posture. I intend to take the early stages of the camino very slowly.

Paul

softie said:
Thanks Doug and Stephen for your replies.

The discomfort in my hip was probably due to my 53 year old bones not being used to carrying a rucksack for a couple of hours. I did have a back strain last October which was quite bad- for a week I couldn't walk in the mornings and I have had to visit a chiropractor in the past when I had leg and hip pains. She said it was all down to my bad posture. I intend to take the early stages of the camino very slowly.

Paul

Paul,

Start walking slowly and go very easy for the first week. The most common injury is the result of trying to walk too far too quickly carrying too much! Easy does it. Be a snail; slow but, determined, like me. Daily distances cited in the guidebooks are not sacred; do not attempt 40 km the first day! ‘Slow, but dependable’ could be my motto. Since I am old I average 20 km per day for 55 days to walk from Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port to Santiago and continuing to Finisterre. The furthest I ever walked was 33k in heavy rain to Olveiroa ; this was one of the WORST days ever and as exhausting as my first time up to Roncevalles!... Consider the topography and the weather plus your health and pack weight as well as personal strength and ability to endure. On the Camino everyone moves as he wishes; only the last 100km MUST be walked in order to receive the treasured Compostela or pilgrim certificate in Santiago.

Remember at each day's end it is a great pleasure to remove your pack and just sit! Bliss!

Buen Camino!

Margaret

We always carry 2 water bottles; one on each side of our packs. (They have an external pocket on each side.) We drink from them alternately so as to keep the weight balanced as far as possible and it makes a real difference to the way the pack feels.
'Slightly bending the knees going downhill lessens the stress on the joints' was another tip we were given which seems to work well.
Buen Camino

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I wouldnt assume to know weather it was the bottle of water or not did the damage

But having suffered from hippains since last easter when i started training for my own camino i can not help myself stressing that any unusual pain is not to be taken lightly. I know this because i didnt listen to what my body was telling me and am now on the 11th doctor/therapist (and this one actually have an idea for a solution) and have had days/weeks with severe pain during this last year. (Initially i blamed my hipbelt and my shoes, but who knows)

you make no mention on the specifics, but leg and hip-pains can actually stem from the back and you do mention having had issues with your back (but may hurt too).

If I were you I would take it real easy if I were you and maybe see a physiotherapist, also as I have now learned that hippains may stem from the iskias nerve.

Not trying to scare you, if is gone after a few restdays and never come back you are probably fine, just saying that i know from bitter experience how much one can hurt oneself setting off on a long walk injured...

I also know however, (if it is any consolation) that one learns to walk past the pain and that one can probably walk slower and shorter stages than i did, which is what i plan to do this year :D

btw bad posture can often largely be fixed at the gym

Thanks for all the advice. I don't think the pain is anything too serious - I'm sure a few aches and pains are to be expected at first. I'm going on another short walk today- see how it goes.

Anniesantiago has advised me that two pairs of walking footwear are unnecessary and I can see I would be creating problems for myself taking both boots and running/trail shoes. My preference is for the boots at the moment as they feel more supportive. The runners might be better though when conditions are warm and dry. The runners are light but take up quite a bit of space in my pack, if I had to carry the boots they would take more space and be heavier.

I know its a decision for me to make and I'm thinking I could always post on or give away either the boots or runners if necessary ?

buen preparations a todos

Paul

Just a little over a year ago since your last post in this topic . I did a keyword search ( Hip) and found this thread. I'm wondering how you made out with your hip problem. I'm having a problem and trying to nip it in the bud . I over did it and now paying the piper . Walked 4 miles up and down two very steep hills with a back pack (10 lb) and now the hip pain is horrible ( both hips) ..I'm layed up practically and have curb my walking for a week to hopefully recover.

Ive been doing good up until now ... easy does it, 4-6 mile daily avg with a couple days off a week , just finished 24 sessions of lower back Therapy which has worked wonders .. now this happens!

I have plenty of time to heal ( 16 months :) ) but am still concerned . Did you resolve your hip issue and walk happily ever after ?

Thanks
Joe

softie said:
Thanks for all the advice. I don't think the pain is anything too serious - I'm sure a few aches and pains are to be expected at first. I'm going on another short walk today- see how it goes.

Anniesantiago has advised me that two pairs of walking footwear are unnecessary and I can see I would be creating problems for myself taking both boots and running/trail shoes. My preference is for the boots at the moment as they feel more supportive. The runners might be better though when conditions are warm and dry. The runners are light but take up quite a bit of space in my pack, if I had to carry the boots they would take more space and be heavier.

I know its a decision for me to make and I'm thinking I could always post on or give away either the boots or runners if necessary ?

buen preparations a todos

Paul

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I was given 2 pieces of advice, many years ago, to help the hips.
1) Don't walk too fast, it jars the hips. You will have a natural speed, don't try to speed up to keep up with others.
2) Going downhill - bend your knees slightly. It takes the strain off your hips.

I have tried to follow this and so far so good

If you find the weight is excessive you could probably save 1kilo by getting a lighter pack. 1.75 k is heavy for a 45 litre pack.

and so it shall be .... Thank You

Tia Valeria said:
I was given 2 pieces of advice, many years ago, to help the hips.
1) Don't walk too fast, it jars the hips. You will have a natural speed, don't try to speed up to keep up with others.
2) Going downhill - bend your knees slightly. It takes the strain off your hips.

I have tried to follow this and so far so good

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.