• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Boots for wide feet

sweetlee213

Hello everyone! I'm walking the Camino in July from SJPP. I have bunions and wide feet, so it's difficult to find regular cute shoes. I'm worried about my feet during the walk and I want to find the best wide footed hiking boot there is with room for insoles. Any suggestions?

Thanks and Buen Camino!

Laura-Lee

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Most of us with duck feet love Keens. Some models are wider than others, but I use their shoes for everything.

My problem with boots (or shoes generally) is what I unflatteringly choose to name "a Donald Duck foot!" – i.e. short but with a broad forefoot (and, to add, even a high wrist).

So I knew that I might have problems with finding a boot to fit and scoured the net for suggestions and choices. The result was that I went quite a long way in order to try on and buy the "Meindl (Matrei GTX)". It was the only woman's boot I found which proclaimed that the forefoot was wide. And it served me perfectly.

I don't know whether you would find this boot 'cute' (but it is nice-looking!) And somehow I believe that the word 'cute' in connection with camino footwear might be stricken from your vocabulary after three days out on your camino :)

Let us know of your choice. Best, Annelise

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I vote for Keen as well, and I know they're expensive, but I got custom orthotics for this Camino. Haven't left yet, but they are making HUGE difference in my training walks.

The brands available will vary with your location of course (Meindls are almost impossible to find here near Seattle). And each brand may use several different lasts: my Vasque Bitterroot are longer and have a broader toebox than the Vasque Wasatch pair I walked in last year, eventhough the same size. So your best bet is to get to a good store on a not-busy day and do LOTS of trying them on.

Bon chemin!

Try men sizes instead of female. They are usually a bit broader for most shoes or boots. Look for shoes that fits your feet rather than cute shoes. They will not be cute anyway after a day or two in the dust or mud. I have broad feet and have used different goretex shoes from cheap Thimberland walkingshoes to more expensive shoes. As long as they fit and you can put your insoles in, it is nearly the same, but a thicker sole takes off for all the stones on the road.
Randi

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I have very wide feet also.

Instead of boots, consider wearing New Balance trainers made on the SL-2 shoe last. They come in very wide models and the toe box is especially deep and wide. I bought model 1012 this year. Wear them out of the shop and onto the trail with no blisters, no breaking in. Buy a set of Motion Control gel inserts to replace the ones in the shoe.... happy feet!

sweetlee213 said:
it's difficult to find regular cute shoes ... with room for insoles.
Any suggestions? Laura-Lee
Forget about cute.
And take with you your insoles when shopping.

Ultreya,
Carli Di Bortolo.

Depends which country you are in. I also have ridiculously wide feet ( or 'normal' feet, as I like to call them).
Hi-Tec boots are built on a wide laste and are also cheap, which is a plus, but I have just found Karrimor Mount Mid 1V Weathertite boots - lovely wide boots in the front half, well made for the price - sooo comfortable (for me) and a ridiculously low price ... but ... like all footwear (and rucksacks), you have to try them on for fit.

Good luck - finding the right boots can be tricky .. but, also, there are also Merrel Kahuna trekking sandals - lovely wide fit and really comfortable with good 'rocky ground' sole. :wink:

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I got the Merrill Moab and have never had a blister or sore feet. I tried on every boot in REI and they were the most comfortable. I have a high instep and arch. I feel it's important to try a lot of different styles and brands on at once after walking to get the feet swell and you will know what will work for you.

I'll second the Merril Moab in the wide option.. I have three pairs, parked in various places. Not sure I'd want them on a Camino, but I woud serously consider them for the Frances.

I also have wide feet and have successfully used a Merrell walking shoe. Another shoe I have tried on that seems brilliant for a broad foot is a Keen Targhee. I was impressed by this shoe very much, but there was something about the instep that just didn't seem to match my foot, so I never bought it.
Margaret

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have square feet-well nearly-and find the Brasher Towa CTXs to be good. They also have a great spongey layer between the boot and the vibram sole so provide good percussive protection and great grip. The only change I made when getting a second pair was to go for a half size bigger to accommodate swelling feet. How do they look?......well COMFY :lol:

I have worn Teva Temple Peak the last 2 caminos with my custom orthotics which take up space in the shoes. On 4 prior trips I had a different brand each time with consistent foot/blister problems each time. The Teva's have enough depth and width for orthotics and allowing your foot to widen as you add pack weight.I had no trouble with the Tevas at all. I will be wearing them again this year.

Everone has different feet and we all have our favourite brand of walking shoes, so answers will be quite subjective. I have nasty bunions, wide feet, and high insteps. Coupled with arthritic feet this can make walking painful and problematic. Having tried different types of walking shoes I finally settled on Scarpa trekking shoes which I've worn on two Camino's. Scarpa's are expensive but I'm now on my second pair. When the first pair wore out, after my second Camino, I went in search of a new pair of shoes hoping to find something a little cheaper. I tried on several well-known brands but finally decided to try on a pair of Scarpa's again, and it was like putting on a pair of slippers, and these are as comfortable walking shoes as I'm likely to find for my feet.

Trudy

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The Camino provides!

I was wondering about where can I get a decent pair of boots that will fit me?! To give you an idea- I wear US size 15 4E with high arches and a 2nd toe on my left foot that is longer than my big toe. Needless to say, finding "normal" footwear is a challenge. I joke around and say that I don't wear flippers when I go swimming, but it really is challenging. For those of us with unusual shoe sizes, selection is usually limited and prices can seem exorbitantly high.

WanderingChristian said:
The Camino provides!

I was wondering about where can I get a decent pair of boots that will fit me?! To give you an idea- I wear US size 15 4E with high arches and a 2nd toe on my left foot that is longer than my big toe. Needless to say, finding "normal" footwear is a challenge. I joke around and say that I don't wear flippers when I go swimming, but it really is challenging. For those of us with unusual shoe sizes, selection is usually limited and prices can seem exorbitantly high.

Hi WanderingChristian,
For the Greeks having a longer 2nd toe was considered a mark of physical perfection and the feet of their statues often display the feature. Roman and Renaissance artists continued that tradition depicting heroes and gods with longer 2nd toes. In fact the statue of Liberty also has feet with same feature-so you're in rather distinguished if anguished (shoe wise) company.
I note the Irish flag on your post and apparently there are associations with Morton's toe (the clinical name of this variant) within the celtic gene group. If anyone makes a comment you could explain that it's merely another manifestation of your extraordinary beauty and/or Celtic heritage :lol:

There have been a couple of threads that discuss boots and walking shoes with larger 'toe boxes' in detail on the forum and these may be useful to you-just use the search box to locate them and any links. Good luck with your hunt.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
A sign of perfection, eh? That makes me laugh :lol: ! If anyone has a model of boot they'd suggest for my predicament, I'd be very grateful.

De Colores y Buen Camino
8) Wandering "with HUGE feet" Chirstian :arrow:

Thank you all for the responses! Trust me, I have no interest in finding anything 'cute' for the Camino! :D I'm just nervous for my feet and knees. I'll be starting in SJPP which is a treacherous first day. I just don't want to bust a knee or roll an ankle and end up bumming around Spain for a month! :lol:

WanderingChristian said:
A sign of perfection, eh? That makes me laugh :lol: !
De Colores y Buen Camino
8) Wandering "with HUGE feet" Chirstian :arrow:

Wasn't it Frances Bacon that said "there is no true beauty but hath a little strangeness"?..........

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I would also like to say thank you for the inspiration. My Camino begins at the end of June and while I've been scouring the internet to prepare and make plans I have had moments where I asked myself "WHAT ARE YOU DOING??? YOU CAN'T DO THIS!" I'm an expert at making excuses for myself, but I need something that pushes me beyond my limits. Last year was a rough year and my future is unwritten with a very shaky plan of attack. Hearing about everyone's various foot problems makes me feel better, helps silence those excuses in my head, and makes me feel that no matter how far I get on the Camino, it will be something to be proud of.

I have a similar problem--I don't really take a wide shoe size but my feet don't taper at all at the toes, so I need a regular size with a wide toe box. I have high hopes for a pair of Anhu Montara boots I bought about 10 days ago--they're snug at mid-foot but the toes have plenty of room. It's a newer brand, not that well known. I've done several 5 mi. walks right out of the box and the boots feel great.

For my purposes, with a non-standard foot, the only option is a pair of custom-made summer hiking boots. I made my first Camino from Barcelona in the best-fitting off-the-shelf boots I could find. Still, my feet were extremely unhappy the entire way to Finisterre. For my second walk - Barcelona to Rome - I invested in a pair of custom-made boots. They cost $1200 including custom insoles to fit my flat feet, but they made all the difference. Considering the cost of the flight from the U.S., equipment, food, albergues, hostels, and all other expenses of both trips, the cost of the boots was relatively minor. I had them resoled after Rome, and will use them for my next Camino from Almeria. I can't wait.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.