Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Boots or shoes on the primitivo

Wandalina

Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese in September '18
Primitivo in September '19
Hi lovely forum members I'm planning the primitivo for September and I'm wondering about footwear. I did Porto to Santiago last year in my Meindel trekking shoes but anticipate the terrain is rougher on the primitivo. I'm generally quite steady on my feet but I'm well aware a twisted ankle can happen anywhere. Any advice would be as always much appreciated....You lads have always helped me so much in the past 😀

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I did the Primitivo in September a couple of years ago. I wore light mid high boots (Keen), which were comfortable. However hiking shoes, preferably NOT waterproof/breathable lined would have been more comfortable on the hot days, and I noticed most people had these, or running shoes. You can always take waterproof/breathable socks (e.g. Sealskinz) if worried about the wet. I'm used to mountain hiking in Norway so thought the hilly bit in Asturias wasnt difficult underfoot.The path once you get into Galicia ,whenever youre not on roads, is newly surfaced with stone chippings, so like walking in a park. Whatever footwear I choose for a hike, I will walk in for 50 miles in the weeks beforehand, like most people advise.

Hi lovely forum members I'm planning the primitivo for September and I'm wondering about footwear. I did Porto to Santiago last year in my Meindel trekking shoes but anticipate the terrain is rougher on the primitivo. I'm generally quite steady on my feet but I'm well aware a twisted ankle can happen anywhere. Any advice would be as always much appreciated....You lads have always helped me so much in the past 😀
Just did from Oviedo to Lugo. I wore walking shoes but light weight boots may be better as can be quite muddy. Also you need to be used to walking on hills and mountains as this is a hill walkers Csmino

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I walked the Primitivo in running shoes, in May. It had been really wet the week before, had already dried out mainly when I started. My shoes were absolutely perfect. There was one short very muddy stretch, which the guidebook mentioned. Lots of people were walking along the road which ran parallel about 300m apart. Glad I didn't as the mud was manageable and the tree lined track was beautiful. Most of the route is on quality paths - senda throughout Galicia, natural in Asturias.

And yes, it is hilly! By about the 3rd or 4th day, I found myself muttering 'give us this day our daily hill' as I toiled upwards. Fortunately, I generally stayed in the valley between hills, so I climbed the hill freshly rested rather than towards the end of the day.

The worst part of the route is the slog into Lugo, especially on a hot afternoon.

We wore lightweight low cut leather boots on the Primitivo, they come to just above the ankle bone. Interestingly last week in the UK, when it was very hot, my feet were cooler in my boots than in my walking shoes (mixed suede and man made fibres).
The boots are easy to keep laced tight enough to avoid toes bumping forward in the toe box when going downhill, something I cannot do with the shoes

Altra Lone Peak 4 trail runners.
No problems on the Primitivo this June.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The first time I walked the Primitivo, I wore New Balance trainers that were very comfortable but the mud was quite horrific. This time in May there was very little mud. My friend wore Addidas trainers the whole way and thought that they were wonderful . I had Addidas gortex trail shoes which gave me blisters so I abandoned them and walked the rest of the way in my Keen sandals. Due to time constraints, we took the bus from Castro Verde to Lugo so we could have one full day in Lugo otherwise we would have arrived in the afternoon.

I have a similar question, but rather than create a new thread, I'll ask it here: Do I need trail runners on the Primitivo? I know shoes are personal, so I'll try to describe when I would like trail runners.

My wife and I have walked three times to Santiago. The only place I thought I really needed trail runners on the CF was the day before and after Roncevalles. Dirt paths, loose gravel, slick rocks, all make me want trail runners (over shoes designed for asphalt/concrete) for increased traction. On the CP, the only day I really wanted them was the 17km day over the mountain after Ponte do Lima, again for the same types of walking surfaces. Am I going to encounter similar walking surfaces on the Camino Primitivo? (planning to leave early September 2019, if that makes a difference). Not trying to ignite boots v. trail shoes controversey. Even in the highest, toughest mountains of America I do not use boots (again, personal preference). Just looking for information on the walking surfaces. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

We wore lightweight low cut leather boots on the Primitivo, they come to just above the ankle bone. Interestingly last week in the UK, when it was very hot, my feet were cooler in my boots than in my walking shoes (mixed suede and man made fibres).
The boots are easy to keep laced tight enough to avoid toes bumping forward in the toe box when going downhill, something I cannot do with the shoes
What brand did you use? I am looking at Lowas possibly for my next Camino. I felt that trail runners were not 'enough' for me on the CF this summer

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
What brand did you use? I am looking at Lowas possibly for my next Camino. I felt that trail runners were not 'enough' for me on the CF this summer
Our favourite brand is Hi-Tec. Current model is called Ravine but if they still do the AltitudeWP style then they are good too. Good fit for us and also not sweaty and really do not let in water.

We did carry a tiny tin of wax type reproofer by Renopur and a small sponge. Reproofed them a couple of times over the 5 weeks just as maintenance care. Terry just carried a well impregnated sponge and that worked for him. Primed it before he left home and kept it in a ziplock type bag. Not a must have but useful - our only 'just in case'.

I did the Primitivo in September a couple of years ago. I wore light mid high boots (Keen), which were comfortable. However hiking shoes, preferably NOT waterproof/breathable lined would have been more comfortable on the hot days, and I noticed most people had these, or running shoes. You can always take waterproof/breathable socks (e.g. Sealskinz) if worried about the wet. I'm used to mountain hiking in Norway so thought the hilly bit in Asturias wasnt difficult underfoot.The path once you get into Galicia ,whenever youre not on roads, is newly surfaced with stone chippings, so like walking in a park. Whatever footwear I choose for a hike, I will walk in for 50 miles in the weeks beforehand, like most people advise.
I just returned from Walking the Camino Primitivo last week. I agree with Mr. Magoo lightweight hiking boots. I walked with Oboz ( like Merrell's, but better constructed ) Yes waterproof socks ( I don't have). We had two rainy days and two hot days from the mid to upper 80's. I end up with blisters on the last rainy day. The Camino Primitivo is mostly mountainous. when I discovered what goes down, goes back up, goes back down.

Buen Camino

Attachments

• 20190721_085342_2.jpg
    20190721_085342_2.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 20
  • 20190717_120141.jpg
    20190717_120141.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 20
Last edited:
IMG_20190908_174934.jpg

Taken yesterday at the municipal albergue in Grandas de Salime. I guess the answer is: take your pick! 😁

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone recommend a good snack to buy for the hospitalès route Nothing major just something to keep me going Many thanks

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back