• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Boots Recommendation

vlebe

Walker Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2001; 2004; 2009; 2013, 2016.....
Dear fellow pilgrims;

As some of you know, I'm heading for the Camino Aragones, Frances and Finisterra in November/December.

I'd like to have some recommendations from the Boot Lovers (only) out there. This is not another "trainner vs boots" thread. I won't change my mind regarding the use of boots for the camino. I have done it once in trainners and it was a terrible experience.

My size is usually 48EU, but as I have already problems with nails due to high altitude mountaineering (I suffered severe frostbite in Alaska in 2013), I'm pretty sure I have to go for a size 49EU which makes my search for the perfect boot a bit harder than usual.

What I look for:

- Manufacturers that have big sizing (Eg: Salomon usually is a no-go)
- Mid's
- Good Waterproofing and Breathability (it'll be cold and wet);
- Modern insoles ( I have boots for alpine climbing that the insoles kind of mold into your feet after 2 or 3 uses... they are awesome);
- Light weight: 49EU boots are already massive big, so they have to be modern and lightweight.
- Good toe box: I can't afford loosing any toe nails as this would ruin my rock,alpine climbing Training for my next climbing projects for at least 5 months.

Well;
I appreciate any inputs you might have ( links , models, brands are very welcomed)

Thanks everyone!

Ultreia!!!

;)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have done very well with Lowa Renegade GTX Mids. They are relatively light, at least compared to moutaineering boots, waterproof, good traction with soft Vibram outsoles and come in your size (https://www.lowaboots.com/about-lowa/size-chart). The only criteria they don't conform to is the insoles and they are pretty vanilla but also pretty easy to buy some better ones if you deem necessary. That said, I used the factory ones twice and had no issues. Good luck!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Once upon a time, when I thought the pain I suffered on C1 (Camino no. 1) was lack of stuffing on the sole of my shoe I pirchased a pair of Mammut boots. Did not help as the problem was not the footwear but my flat feet.

This being said, if onewants to wear a boot this was an excellent pair made with memory foam.

But that ks not why I am writing, but rather your toenail issue. I lost toe nails on a few Caminos and even now still seen them change as I walk. But since they stay on I let them be.

But if it was still an issue I would consider using what ballet dancers use in their point shoes. With your sizefeet I don't thing the premolded sillicon or foam tips would help, but wool may help. One it is shapped to your feet you don't feel them. They are also not an issue with sweat.

I walked the Camino from Irun to Burgos and then on to Santiago. My boots were Teva e-vent and reckon they fit your requirements. Big toe box, very light weight, strong and supportive. Not sure about waterproofing as they are not goretex - a disaster in warm weather - but I am sure you can research that part. I suffered absolutely no problems and they now look, after at least 1000 kilometres, as if they have hardly been worn. Sorry I can't work out how to add a photo of them but would if I could
Best of luck with your search

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello,

I hike with the meindl rapide gtx, with superfeet green insoles during spring and early autumn, it's a shoe rather than a boot, very large volume toe box, rigid sole and waterproof. Can get a bit warm but very comfortable.

For winter I use meindl Meram GTX boots, also green superfeet insoles. Lightweight full grain leather with light ankle support. Fully waterproof provided they're waxed every few weeks when encountering lots of wet weather. I just appreciate the higher ankle to keep water out in very wet terrain.

Enjoy.

Same as @jozero, I am now using my 5th (or may be 6th...) pair of Lowa Renegade GTX mid.
No problem so far, out of the fact that they are quite quickly used.
Very good in wet and cold conditions.

Buen Camino, Jacques-D.

I have done very well with Lowa Renegade GTX Mids. They are relatively light, at least compared to moutaineering boots, waterproof, good traction with soft Vibram outsoles and come in your size (https://www.lowaboots.com/about-lowa/size-chart). The only criteria they don't conform to is the insoles and they are pretty vanilla but also pretty easy to buy some better ones if you deem necessary. That said, I used the factory ones twice and had no issues. Good luck!

Hi @jozero and @jdpiguet ! THank you so much for you recommendation. I have owned Lowa boots before ( for alpine, snow, mixed climbings) and I think the Renegades would meet my needs.

I have one more major problem and maybe you guys could help me:

Im currently living in Brazil and I wont be able to buy those boots and try them before buying as I'll be working non-stop until my next Camino holiday next november so, someone will have to get them for me in Europe and bring them here so I can break them in before my trip.

My problem: As I have this huge "nail protection" concern, Im planning to buy half size to 1 full size, bigger than what I usually wear. The issue is every brand and model has different size shapes.

I usually wear 48EU so for the boots ( feet swelling + double socks) I though of getting either a 48,5EU (14US) or 49EU(14,5US) but, There is no way I can guess which one will be my best bet!

I sent Lowa an email asking for them if they could kindly send me some drawings from the insoles. I guess this could help me make a decision but, I'm not sure they will be that kind.

Do any of you by any chance have any of those sizes of these boots? (48, 48,5 or 49 EU)

Im pretty concerned about buying the wrong size. I have only one shot which is my syster as she is coming to visit me from Spain later this month.

I appreciate any new inputs you guys could give me.

Thanks a bunch!

Vagner

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I walked the Camino from Irun to Burgos and then on to Santiago. My boots were Teva e-vent and reckon they fit your requirements. Big toe box, very light weight, strong and supportive. Not sure about waterproofing as they are not goretex - a disaster in warm weather - but I am sure you can research that part. I suffered absolutely no problems and they now look, after at least 1000 kilometres, as if they have hardly been worn. Sorry I can't work out how to add a photo of them but would if I could
Best of luck with your search

Thanks a lot @PLOK . I'll have a look at those online right now!

:)

Do any of you by any chance have any of those sizes of these boots? (48, 48,5 or 49 EU)
Hi Vagner - I wear US 13 / EU 47 so not sure if that would help you? Plus I replaced my Lowa insoles after my last Camino with some after market ones with a little more/new cushion. However, if you think that is of any help, happy to do it for you. I should also mention I purchase the same size shoes and these boots regardless of whether they are for sports, dress shoes, etc, all the same so for me Lowa is pretty accurate with their sizing. Good luck.

Hi Vagner - I wear US 13 / EU 47 so not sure if that would help you? Plus I replaced my Lowa insoles after my last Camino with some after market ones with a little more/new cushion. However, if you think that is of any help, happy to do it for you. I should also mention I purchase the same size shoes and these boots regardless of whether they are for sports, dress shoes, etc, all the same so for me Lowa is pretty accurate with their sizing. Good luck.

awesome @jozero ! thanks mate.

You're saying that you did not had to add any extra size in order for the boots to fit you properly ( even considering feet swelling and socks), right?

In that case, if I decide to go for a bigger size, half a size would probably do the job.
;)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Another vote for the Lowa Renegade line of boots here ;-)
Buen Camino, SY

awesome @jozero ! thanks mate.

You're saying that you did not had to add any extra size in order for the boots to fit you properly ( even considering feet swelling and socks), right?

In that case, if I decide to go for a bigger size, half a size would probably do the job.
;)
Happy to share my experiences. I hope your sizing idea works for you but honestly for me I'd be worried about blisters coming from boot slop if I purposely bought oversized footwear. I wear a medium weight smart wool hiking sock (I don't walk in the summer months) and while I'm sure my feet must swell some this doesn't seem to be a big thing for me. This may sound odd to some but I also lace my boots according to the day ahead. Uphill days I lace looser and low ( I don't lace to the top so my ankle is more free to move) and on downhill days I lace a little tighter with a heel lock and right to the top to keep from getting sore, black toes. Yup, now that I read that, I'm pretty sure many will find this odd but it works for me so it is what it is... :D :D

Yup, now that I read that, I'm pretty sure many will find this odd but it works for me so it is what it is... :D :D

Hey @jozero ! thanks again for your inputs.
Your lacing strategy is not odd at all but it is, indeed, the proper way to use boots. In mountaineering we often do that for long traverses with ups and downs.

Keeping the same lace strength regardless of going up or downhill is a receipt for disaster. As a matter of fact this might be one of the reasons why some of us dont like wearing boots: Wrong lacing techniques.

Im still confused on what size to order for the Lowa boots... It's shame Im not able to try them beforehand....

Hopefuly I'll make up my mind soon.

THanks again!!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I wore LaSportiva Synthesis GTX Mid hikers. Its half way between a hiking shoe and a light hiking boot. It was a good choice for my recent Camino. I had previously worn Zamberlain GTX Crosser 130 light hiking boots on other long distance hikes (USA + England) but they were well worn and I was unsure they would last another 500 miles so I tried the LaSportiva Synthesis.

I really like both of the above boots. Both are very light. Both essentially need minimal to no break in. Both are great for day-hike trips like the Camino where your backpack load is very light (typically 25# or less). Both are waterproof. The LaSportiva uses and active ventilation and honestly my feet never got hot despite the 90+ degree (F) temps on most of my Camino.

The Zamberlain GTX Crosser 130 was named boot of the year in 2012 or '13 and the LaSportiva Synthesis GTX was the hiking boot of the year in 2015 according to Backpacker magazine.

I note Altra have a waterproof mid version of their Lone Peak.
Regds
Gerard

Surely you mean 10-15 pounds (4.5 to 7 kg) and not 10-15 kg (22-33 pounds)!?

I would probably say that people don't typically need more than 5-8 kg, or 12-18 pounds.
Right. The heaviest base weight that I've carried was about 6.5 kg. I can't imagine that I would need more than another kg or so for a winter Camino.

Lake District (in England) and 1935.

But I do very much like those boots !!

TELEMMGLPICT000257819146_trans_NvBQzQNjv4Bq3E7-RVlr5SKnIQ6dtEUWY9XsXzaXb__p0dC5MDKkkvU.jpeg

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.