• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Boots, shoes or sandals

I've been walking 4 k daily in a great pair of solid street shoes. On my at least 4th identical pair over the last number of years. They are comfortable and never give me blisters or any aggravation. Am planing to do the Camino in Sept 12. Reading so much about footware concerns me. Should I change to hiking boots? Should I stay where I am? I have excellent orthotics which save me. Put in about 7 K today.
Should I get boots, carry my shoes as seconds and forgo hiking sandals? But, everyone says I should have sandals for the auberges. Are hiking sandals appropriate for the auberges. Should I forego the hiking sandals and get a pair of thin flip flop for that use? Might I use sandals and shoes only and forego the boots? Is there so much mud that my street shoes will be overwhelmed and drowned?
Of course many of you are just going to say it's personal preference. I want to hear about the practical applications, why one choice is better for real reasons, not just personal preference. Why is one better than the other?.
Decisions, decisions. You have been there, come to my rescue

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Malcolmrobert,
What I did and will do again this year.
Boots lightweight mid ankle. Lots of rough uneven terrain so ankle support essential IMHO.
Crocs for after walk. Light and comfortable can wear with or without socks, tomorrow's fresh socks (with some cushioning) nice to wear around town at night.
Buen Camino.
Col

colinPeter said:
Crocs for after walk. Light and comfortable can wear with or without socks, tomorrow's fresh socks (with some cushioning) nice to wear around town at night.
Buen Camino.
Col

I wouldn't go this far, but does tell you my humble opinion of them:
IdRatherDie.jpg
:lol: :lol:

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have street and sports shoes that work quite well in urban conditions, but would not consider for the Camino for several reasons:

1. my street shoes are not going to accommodate my feet comfortably in thicker socks and when they have begun to lengthen after a full day's walking with a pack. A well fitted trekking boot or shoe will be half to one size larger to allow for both of these.

2. All of my street and sports shoes have a relatively flat tread. For the hills, muddy, leafy etc places that get slippery, you will benefit from a more aggressive tread. I have both trekking shoes and boots, and the shoes have a more moderate tread than the boots, with both offering more grip than street shoes.

3. Street shoes will not be waterproof. Trekking shoes and boots might be. Any full leather shoe with the tongue sewn in at the sides will be, provided the stitching is properly treated. Fabric based shoes will need a waterproof membrane to be properly waterproof.

4. All my street shoes have comparatively flexible soles, with sports shoes generally stiffer. Trekking shoes and boots generally have quite stiff soles, and bend only a little in the front third or so of the sole. The boot is then a more stable platform even if only a little bit of the toe can get a foothold. That extreme is normally not needed along the Camino, but there were a couple of rocky stretches on the Camino Frances where it was useful.

5. the boots vs shoes for me comes down to how much support you want around your ankle, and how much weight you are prepared to add to achieve that. Clearly many pilgrims walk the whole distance in shoes, and some I saw wore sandals for large parts of the Camino.

On your question about what combination of boots/shoes/sandals/thongs (jandals or flip-flops for you non-Aussies) the choice is very much a personal one. I chose to walk in boots and carry sandals for the evening. Next time I will still walk in boots, but carry a very light pair of Salomon shoes, which are lighter than the sandals I took last time.

If weight is your primary consideration, the logical choice would be to carry thongs, and wear good trekking shoes. This has other compromises, but if you want to travel far, travel light.

Regards,

Abbeydore said:
I wouldn't go this far, but does tell you my humble opinion of them: :lol: :lol:
Don't be shy tell us why :?:

In answer to OP and in agreement with Col.
We like light weight leather ankle boots to walk in and Crocs for after walk wear. Lightweight, good soles, can be worn in the shower or in mud and just wash off. Can be worn with or without the backstrap as it folds over to make clogs. Very comfy for walking around in once settled in albergue, or sightseeing, and allow boots to air off. Ours are just like the ones in the photo above but a better colour :)
Our boots are waterproof leather, keep the wet out well, have good grip and support our ankles. All important to us. If they do get to feel damp they dry easily overnight, but we have not had them leak. We carry a mini-sponge with the Renapur waterproofer on to give them a rub up occasionally and keep them waterproof while still being breathable.
We would not expect to have water in over the top as they have good sewn in tongues. If it was so bad that water would come over our ankles we would remove outer socks and walk through in the Crocs, so another plus for the Crocs.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
colinPeter said:
Hi Malcolmrobert,
What I did and will do again this year.
Boots lightweight mid ankle. Lots of rough uneven terrain so ankle support essential IMHO.
Buen Camino.
Col

Agreed except flip flops instead of crocs

My Opinion:

If you are used to boots, and have a broken in pair, and/or have weak ankles and need support, then buy boots.

Otherwise, in my opinion, there is not one single place on the Camino that warrants boots.
It is a WALK, not a mountainous hike.
There are (literally) one or two places that I'd consider "mountains" and one of them is from SJPP to Roncesvalles and you're walking on a paved road all the way to the top!

Nearly every single person I saw on the Camino with horrid blisters on their feet and ankles were wearing BOOTS.

In the morning, if you have boots, you wake up and put on cold, stiff BOOTS.
If you have trainers, you put on dry shoes.

I swear by New Balance trainers with a good deep toe box!
I'd leave the boots at home.

Having said that, there is a different opinion from every pilgrim you ask.. so in the end, do what works for YOU! :lol:

Definitely no need for boots. Hiking shoes will serve just fine. There are slippery spots at times, and the hiking shoes soles help with that, but otherwise, you're not climbing mountains ... geez, I can't wait to get back :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I agree that comfort is the most important thing. But it does make a difference what month you are traveling. Just be aware that September can go either way. It can be wonderfully hot, scorching hot, breezy and cool, pouring rain and anything in between. Since we're not very good at predicting weather you might want to decide about your main pair of shoes based on what you can tolerate easiest - feet too wet or feet too hot.
Generally speaking September has about 6 days of rain and the median temperature is between 15 and 19 degrees (centigrade) depending on where you are.
About your second pair of shoes - when you're finished walking for the day your feet will likely feel tired. But you still may want to walk around town a bit, go and pick up some groceries or go to a bar or a restaurant. Your second pair of shoes should serve for this as well as the shower if you feel you need shoes in the shower (not a bad idea in a public place of course). It's all about what feels good and works. Never one right answer for everybody.
Just fyi I generally walk in the early spring - quite wet and often muddy, although less so as more and more gets paved. I wear leather, waterproof boots and regular running shoes as the second pair (no shoes in the shower). Once though I walked in September - no rain and I walked in running shoes and loved it. Luckily in 2200 km on the camino I've never had a blister.
Buen camino

Anniesantiago said:
My Opinion:

If you are used to boots, and have a broken in pair, and/or have weak ankles and need support, then buy boots.

Otherwise, in my opinion, there is not one single place on the Camino that warrants boots.
There are (literally) one or two places that I'd consider "mountains" and one of them is from SJPP to Roncesvalles and you're walking on a paved road all the way to the top!

Nearly every single person I saw on the Camino with horrid blisters on their feet and ankles were wearing BOOTS.

Having said that, there is a different opinion from every pilgrim you ask.. so in the end, do what works for YOU! :lol:

Yes Annie, suppose that's where I'm coming from, I do go over on my ankles, it's not funny, but then I never have come to any harm over it, just a bit scary @ the time, & it invariably happens for no apparent reason, on flat even tarmac just out of the blue. Yes I wear BOOTS, it's just not worth the risk; just to be contradictory, I wear my sandals on summer holidays every day - no problems, apart from stones going inside them :mrgreen: :lol:

BlackDog said:
Abbeydore said:
I wouldn't go this far, but does tell you my humble opinion of them: :lol: :lol:
Don't be shy tell us why :?:

Google likes them too, that's good enough reason :mrgreen:
Don't do vogues,

It's quite difficult to find out what they are made of, not rubber not plastic :roll:
I do like colours though :lol: as for go-faster-stripes well that defies logic!

They should have races in crocs could be a laugh :lol:
Each to there own, I know a people love them, I don't.........I'm very slow to tow the line.....

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi MalcolmRobert
I completed the frances Camino in 2009 from STJPP with my wife and we are planning to repeat the experience in May 2013
In 2009 I took very expensive boots that I had used on many wilderness type walks where they had never given me trouble. Additionally I took my favourite walking shoes (Keens) which I always use on local daily walks. Plus I took sandals for the evenings.
My error was taking the heavy and expensive boots. Every step meant lifting more weight plus even when I wore my shoes I still had to carry the weight of the boots attached to my pack. The boots very quickly gave me trouble as the Camino is not a wilderness walk and there are many hundreds of thousands of identical steps and the consistency of each step throws up blisters and sore spots never experienced before. I mailed them home after 100ks.
My advice is use what is comfortable for you and don't worry about mud and water. If you want to you can always buy some waterproof spray in one of the larger towns you will pass through. Whatever you do you will get wet feet at some point anyway.
You can use sandals in the Alberges and they also weigh little in your bag (weight is always the primary issue to think about). Additionally there will be opportunities at various points on the way to actually walk in your sandals for a pleasant change (subject to weather and trail surface)
In 2013 I will be taking only good walking shoes (my favourite brand is keen and they cost me about $100 Aust dollars) and open sandals

Buen Camino

My friend and I wore new balance running shoes, neither one of us had blisers. The one thing I noticed is that your feet swell, walking 500 miles just aint natural. you will notice that some of the alburgues had cold water ponds to put your feet in, it helps the swelling. Most people I met or saw had blisters and most people I saw or met, were wearing hiking boots or shoes. I think you need to consider that your feet swell and ask yourself do my boots have room. I am so thankful I wore the running shoes. I saw some awful blisters on the bottom of peoples feet, between toes, sides, deep under the skin blister and very infected blisters. All of them had the were wearing the hiking boots and shoes. Something that bends and breathes, I beleive is best. But again many people do have different experiences.

I always wear mid weight mid ankle hiking boots with a solid sole - have always.

I have strong legs, feet and ankles and I would like to keep it that way. So even though you could get by with light weight hiking shoes, it takes one mis-step and you have twisted your ankle or worse a knee, and that may mean the end of your walk or worse, days of walking.

It is worse if you have weak ankles already, or have twisted your ankles in the past.

Thankfully I am not in that position but my wife is, and always wears boots and they have saved her from further damage a number of times.

We have clocked approximately 2,000 km and 3,000 km of pilgrim trails each, so we have some experience

And boots might stop you falling (but not always - trust me I have a scar on my left hand to remind me). But even stepping of the curb, or stepping on a rough spot or pothole on the tarmac, can lead to a twisted ankle. Toss in a gravel path or muddy dirt track, and you will thankful and pleased that you are wearing boots and not hiking shoes

Water proof boots are even better but there might some days when the Gor-Tex does not hold up

At the end of the day of walking, wear something airy and comfortable, whatever makes you happy

Neville

jirit said:
So even though you could get by with light weight hiking shoes, it takes one mis-step and you have twisted your ankle or worse a knee, and that may mean the end of your walk or worse, days of walking.

Neville

Absolutely: especially on that nasty descent from Cruz de Ferro.

jirit said:
I always wear mid weight mid ankle hiking boots with a solid sole - have always.
snip
But even stepping of the curb, or stepping on a rough spot or pothole on the tarmac, can lead to a twisted ankle. Toss in a gravel path or muddy dirt track, and you will thankful and pleased that you are wearing boots and not hiking shoes
snip Neville
I agree with Neville on these points. I rolled my foot on a small stone stepping onto the road coming into San Anton. My ankle was fine in the boot, but my knee took the twist and I called it a day at Castrojeriz to give it a rest.

At the same time, I think shoes are a reasonable option, just riskier. Clearly many people do the walk in shoes of some sort or other, and parts of it in sandals as well, and don't get injured, may not blister, or have other problems.

Whatever the option, there are compromises, and by explaining these, others will better understand how they might have to compensate for the downsides of each option when they make their choices. Like many aspects of this forum, it is not about some absolute right or wrong, but helping others understand what it might mean to make a particular choice.

Regards,

It s really what your comfortable in, if you are worried about blister, I would recommend running shoes, something with a wider area for toes, which running shoes have. peoples feet swell and had infected blisters between toes on on the sides of feet. That was a huge problem, most people get blister, i met several people that went to the hospital for infected blisters. If your a type of person that would need ankle support to walk around NYC then maybe you need a boot . I have done several thousands km of trails around the world. I didnt think the Camino frances warranted boots, especially when I saw how muched people suffered in them. There are a few areas that you need to take a slow, with or with out hiking boots, but they are short spots in the grand scheme of things. I hiked with 2 men that actully did the whole thing in crocs, there down fall was the terrain with gravel because rocks got in. So depending on what you worry about, go with that.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
This is a good thread ... for me it is trecking sandals .. I wear Merrel Kahunas (I think) .. you can't go into a mosque or synagogue in them (made of pigskin) but these are rare on the Camino.

I've trecked in boots (usually Hi-Tec brand as they are the widest fit I have found - and the cheapest by a mile) and always have a heat problem .. I think it is a heat problem .. I just don't like being confined, don't like that being strapped in .. a serious pair of sandals will have a great sole, thick, stiffened, and deep with good grip. I do like my feet spreading out - but there is a huge difference between walking in sandals and walking in sandals wearing a backpack ... not too sure why, there is more weight on the feet of course, but there also seems to be a difference in one's posture, not so light and easy.
You cannot 'hike' with a backpack in sandals over long distances, you can only 'walk' so it is a matter of ambling along really. Small stones getting in can be a bore - I have visions of Jesus and followers strolling along and having to hold each others shoulders whilst they tip out the latest stone ... :lol:

Roman soldiers wore sandals, but these were hobnailed heavy duty issue, and they wore boots in winter in colder climes ...
I think it really does come down to personal preference as well as style of walking ... with sandals mud isn't a problem as you can just wash the whole foot/sandal in a stream or horse trough. Getting wet isn't a problem as you tend to get dry later - unless it is bitterly cold of course. The Merrels have a flexible synthetic lining inside the leather so they don't rub and are extremely comfortable, they are also wide, and I have very wide feet indeed. Clowns ain't in it!

Doing first aid on the Camino I have found that most blisters at the sides and front of the foot, in amongst the toes, have been caused by people tying their footwear up as tight as they can for some reason (as well as wearing footwear too small). With many pilgrims I have removed the laces from the first one or two sets of eyelets, which allows the front of the boot to open - problem solved. One can also turn over the laces at a certain point, making a half knot each side, which means that they will only tighten from there. Blisters at the back seem to be by pilgrims not knowing how to put boots on properly - if they are new how would they know? You have to kick your heel right back into the boot and tie the ankle bit so they hold ... stops all that heel slipping/chafing.
I have also found that the worst blisters have been on those wearing cheap plimsols (canvas tennis shoes? those black and white cheapo things) ...sweaty - sweaty does seem to be the problem ..
and folk will ignore hotspots - they feel them but ignore them - disaster.

I have also found that sufferers (or rather, those who become sufferers) tend to get their boots on in the morning, lace them up really tight, and then ignore their feet for the rest of the day .. they don't even loosen them when their feet start to hurt, and don't take them and their socks off regularly through the day to air and cool the feet (put the socks back on different feet, then seam pressures on the skin are different).
This is only my personal experience of course, I'm no expert, not at all :|
.. for some reason seasoned walkers seem to have little or no problem, even if wearing the same brand as new walkers ... don't know why.

David said:
This is a good thread ... snip
This is only my personal experience of course, I'm no expert, not at all :|
.. for some reason seasoned walkers seem to have little or no problem, even if wearing the same brand as new walkers ... don't know why.
All, if you have got this far without reading all of David's post because it looked so long, its worth going back and reading all of it. It has so many good points in it. Wonderful post.

Up to now I have walked in a combination of Tevas walking sandals whenever I could and Brasher superlight leather boots for the rougher terrain or in the wet.

I am about to walk Burgos to León in March and I have bought a pair of Merrells walking trainers as my boots weigh 600g each and the trainers come in at 400g each.

The sole purpose of making this change after 8 Caminos of varying lengths is so that I can walk just a bit faster than when wearing boots because we have a schedule to meet.

I'll know by the end of March whether this was wise or stupid.

I always take flip flops because as a diabetic I cannot shift a veruca if one is picked up.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
johnnyman said:
Definitely no need for boots. Hiking shoes will serve just fine. There are slippery spots at times, and the hiking shoes soles help with that, but otherwise, you're not climbing mountains ... geez, I can't wait to get back :)
Which route doesn't have mountains to climb? I walked from SJPP and climbed the Pyrenees, parts of the Cordillera Cantabrica, and parts of the Montes de Leon. These seemed pretty mountainous to me. Just because they do not require technical mountaineering skills and are not in the AMS zone doesn't make them any less mountains.

Regards

colinPeter said:
Boots lightweight mid ankle. Lots of rough uneven terrain so ankle support essential IMHO. Crocs for after walk. Light and comfortable
Absolutely agreed! I have walked the Camino Francés from Roncesvalles to Santiago on 4 occasions with this concept (2 x spring, 2 x autumn).

Me too, except NO CROCS. Those things are disgusting. Mid boots for walking and sandals in the evening.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Crocs are fantastic. They work for walking and relaxing. No sandal will give blister relief like Crocs will. Sticking with the basic black will show a bit of good taste, though.

what is it about these things which provokes such strong feelings?
Actual users and style mavens? I cannot find a comment that actually says that they are pretty.

Not really pretty (clog style) but very practical and light. Squash into pack and return to shape...... etc
I'll forgo pretty for utility on this one.

David said:
I heard that Crocs end in tears ..... errmm .. or do I mean alligators? :lol:

I thought alli's beat crocs hands down :lol:
they have and extra tooth or something.........or is it diff. jaw?

Crocs have a style that makes me feel like someone couldn't be bothered.
That's not even thinking about what they are made of..........
I'll get myself in trouble again if I carry-on, (got my knuckles wrapped this week already)

Love proper support on my feet, gives me confidence to plant my foot down & it not take off!, using the tungten tip on a Pacerpole is the same, & have saved me from faling many-a-time. Confidence we all need. :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
It's a mystery, but indeed polarizing.

And no one could ever call my camino "style" pretty. My sandals are ugly and comfortable - seems they have something in common with crocs.

lynnejohn said:
It's a mystery, but indeed polarizing.

And no one could ever call my camino "style" pretty. My sandals are ugly and comfortable - seems they have something in common with crocs.

Sandals however look functional, crocs look neither, but people like them, no idea why.........

I took Tevas on the VDLP and soon changed them out for a pair of 3 Euro Crocs, which I LOVED.
I will take Crocs this time...or rather wait and buy them on the trail.
Funny how we all have different opinions but otherwise, the world would be so darned dull! :lol:

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Everyone,

I still can't find any proper shoes for myself until now, I'll start to walk on May 7 at SJPP. Reading many advise in the forum make me hard to decide which one would work best for me. I think lightweight mid-ankle/waterproof boots is good, but I never use boots in my life so I don't know if it will work for me, beside can't find proper boots in place where I live/Jakarta (number of outdoor store is very limited here). I don't think online shopping is a good idea to find correct shoes. It might be too late right now, but I just find out about the Camino on last December and quite busy with other things, and now it's March already. I am going to Japan in the next 2 days and hope can find proper boots there. But, again I am still not sure if I still hv time to break in the shoes before starting the walk.

Meanwhile, I am thinking to just use my trusted running shoes (Nike Lunar Glide, unfortunately not waterproof - and it's a running shoes/not walking shoes, with unflex sole), and bring one sneakers (Converse - I know they have unflex hard sole or Geox) in case they're get wet, plus one sandals. But, still not sure if this is a good idea, in addition to the extra weight I'll put by bringing them, with the rules I can only bring max 10% of body weight (I'm 52 kg). Anyone can advise? My another question, how's about if it's raining for days (I guess this will be my biggest problem here), how can I completly dry the shoes?

Thanks for help,
Martha

martha_s said:
... in addition to the extra weight I'll put by bringing them, with the rules I can only bring max 10% of body weight (I'm 52 kg). Anyone can advise? My another question, how's about if it's raining for days (I guess this will be my biggest problem here), how can I completly dry the shoes?
Martha,
THERE ARE NO RULES! Plenty of good (and bad) advice, guidance and suggestions. I have only had one person able to point to an authoritative source for the so-called 10% limit, and that was to a very old Confraternity of St James (CSJ) publication. The CSJ web site now says 10-15%, and for me their packing list can be kept within those limits.

Those members of the forum who claim to have their pack weight close to or under 10% of their body weight DO NOT follow the CSJ packing list, but many seem to swear by the lower weight of the CSJ recommended band. There is also a tendency to not count what is being worn or carried outside one's pack within the overall weight. What I think is a better way is to use the hiking fraternity's approach of measuring weight from the skin out (FSO), and using a 20% target. See my post on this at http://www.caminodesantiago.me/board/equipment-questions/topic12663.html#p84416 or PM me if you want more details.

In all that, packing light should be your objective. A slightly more generous target does not mean you have to use it all.

I can understand your dilemma about sandals - my Merrell sandals weight 820gm, while a simple pair of flip-flops only weigh 165gm, a difference of 655gm. That's just under 5% of my 20% FSO weight budget, but nearly 9% of a 10% body mass budget!

It might not always be possible to get shoes dry, particularly if there are a succession of wet days. Space near heaters etc will be at a premium in those conditions, and that can also be frustrating. If you can get hold of some old newspaper, scrunch that up and stuff it inside your boots or shoes to speed up drying.

Regards,

Hi DougF,

Thanks for your advise, I will carry extra shoes (sneakers and sandals), I think that the most essential things for me to do the walk (at least I have some spares in case they're get wet and if my feet get some uncomfortable spot during the walk). Still haven't figure out how much weight I'll need to carry (trying to do some packing next week - will start from SJPP on early May).

I'm still a bit worried if it's raining for days how to dry the shoes, I don't have any idea if I need to bring some old newspaper from home to help drying the shoes, if it's easy to find them along the way? I'm considering also to bring light hair-dryer (of course for shoes, in case I don't get space near heaters?), and still not sure if this is a good idea.

Happy Easter everyone!

Thanks again,
Martha

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Martha,

Don't bring old newspaper - I would expect that you would be able to find it in most places.

Regards,

Greetings All,

Flying out from UK to Biarritz in less than two weeks and still having thoughts about shoes, boots, sandels and feet . . .

Have one of those desk calenders, each day's page has a little saying. Having been away for a few days, needed to rip off a few pages and as doing so, was in my mind thinking about the Camino and the (eternal) question of shoes.

The saying for today 8 Sept 2012?

"The guts carry the feet, not the feet the guts." Miquel de Cervantes (16th Century Spanish Writer)

Love it when LIFE and the Spirit of the Camino speak so loudly.

Blessings to all,

Francesca

I wore hiking shoes on my first Camino and was sorry I did not have the ankle support of lightweight hiking boots. I would suggest lightweight boots. I also took a pair of crocs which I wore after showering at the refugios. My feet needed a change from the boots each day and I found crocs to work for this purpose. BTW, I never had a blister in 500 miles. Smart wool socks rule!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I am wearing lightweight trainers on my caminoand they have been great. Nary a blister to be seen and my feet stay nice and cool. All my friends in boots, particularly waterproof ones, are all blistered up.

Re: socks

I seem to remember something about wearing two pairs,each day changing the inner sock and wearing with the same outer sock...or was it the other way around? And what actually is a sock liner?

Re: socks

magdelanye said:
I seem to remember something about wearing two pairs,each day changing the inner sock and wearing with the same outer sock...or was it the other way around? And what actually is a sock liner?

A sock liner is a thin sock (when I wear them I use women's knee-high nylons) you wear under your thick socks. They help cut down on friction. I only wear them when I am doing hard core hiking in hiking boots but you should experience,went with various solutions until you find one that works for you because all feet are different so what works for one person might not work for the next.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Annie, which model of New Balance? I am looking at a few that I have found extremely comfortable but the age old debate of waterproof or not lingers in my decision making. Thx in advance. JN

I read a LOT about boots/shoes/sandals on this forum before my Camino in August last year, and decided to go with the poster(s) who said it's not a wilderness hike, it's a series of day walks along roads, streets, paths and tracks. So I took a pair of Merrell Sirens, a sort of beefed-up goretex trainer, and a pair of Teva Terra Fi for after the walk or as a second pair in case I got too hot or got blisters.

Off I went, and all was well until the second day, when I reached the top before Roncesvalles and started on the descent. My shoes were not big enough - my toes kept on hitting the front of the shoe and I had to switch to my sandals, which gave no support what so ever. The same thing happened on the way up and down (and up and down) to Zubiri. I left the shoes in Estella, walked in my Tevas and went straight to Planeta Agua when I reached Logroño, to get fitted with boots. Not big heavy leather boots, mine were a lightweight pair of Salomon goretex ones. I LOVE those boots. They are every bit as comfortable to walk in as the trainers I left behind, but give more support for those rugged parts - and there are quite a few of them. I wear them quite loose and tighten the laces around the ankle before going downhill, then loosen them up again after. I used the vaseline+liner+wool sock combo, took my boots off every time I sat down (Free the Camino Ten!), reapplied vaseline and changed socks if needed, and never got a blister.
My friend was not as lucky - she had been sold a pair of mountain walking boots with hard, stiff soles, and she had to leave the Camino and go home because she was in agony with her heels from the pounding they took on the roads and hard surfaces. So make sure the soles have some flexibility and cushioning!

In my experience the Camino is not 'just a walk along roads and paths'. It is also a walk over rugged and uneven terrain, with parts of stony ground (eg Atapuerca and O Cebreiro), sharp rocks to get over, boggy ground and sticky mud (after rain), loose gravel and slippery stone (descent to Molinaseca). I know footwear is a personal preference, but what ever you choose to wear, make sure your shoes are big enough - not one size bigger than you would use normally, but two! You don't just have to make room for the sock but also allow for the feet swelling. When my foot is pushed to the front in my boots, I can slide my finger between my heel and the heel of the boot.

Buen Camino!
Linda

I absolutely agree with the 2 sizes bigger idea. I walked the Camino Frances in 2010 with my Solomon boots. I felt vaguely ridiculous with them so big but did the 790 km with not a blister or hot spot. My friend had some just fitting Teva boots and ended up with a blister that grew to humongous proportions and pretty much wrecked her walk. I put mine on last year to do the Haute Route and they were like slippers!!! Roll on August when they get to walk the Le Puy Camino

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hello All

UPDATE AFTER WALKING SJPP TO SANTIAGO: 22 SEPTEMBER 2012 to 29 OCTOBER and then on 31st OCT onto Finesterra.

There is no wrong or right--- only informed and uninformed decisions.

I allowed a busy pre-Camino schedule to hamper the quest for good walking shoes. Bought three pair of shoes/boots that were too narrow, too too long or just horrid generally.

Ended up taking an old pair of leather boots/ankle support, good tread that were well and truly broken in and great for the width/length.

Two uninformed decisions:
1. Did not mail my post-camino gear in SJJP as planned but thought, what the heck, I can carry it. An extra 4k at least.

2. Did not see whole picture: heavier pack pushing me forward when walking downhill.

3. Did not even DREAM I would have an allergic reaction to elastic in my merino socks!

The old boots--great for anything else--were hell crossing over from SJJP to Pamplona. I had blisters on my toes, purple toenails on a few and my ankles/lower calves looked like eggplants.

Oh, and no, there was NO place to post the extra gear onwards until....Pamplona.

In Pamplona, I tore through my pack and got rid of the post-camino stuff AND my sleeping bag, (used silk liner and blankets whole way).. Posted it all to Santiago. Weight went down to 5k.

Bought a pair of Merrills (no ankle support) at the shop there, hugely expensive compared to buying in UK/USA, but I was deeply grateful nonetheless. A whole size bigger.

Headed out of Pamplona and stayed at an albuerque a few k away; the woman who runs it is famous for 'healing' feet. She showed me how to retie my shoes to keep them from slipping (marvellous!), and to use other bandages, as most of the touted band-aids actually cause problems. Some toenails had blisters underneath and what she did actually saved a couple.

She told me that I must be allergic to the elastic in my merino socks (I wore two merino tops whole trip no problems). I changed over to an inner thin bridgedale sock and an outer pair of bamboo socks.

(the very expensive two pair of merino socks I carried to Santiago and gave to another Pilgrim whose socks were 'holy' and she was still travelling round the world....)

My feet began healing immediately and in three days as the old woman had said, the eggplant effect on my ankles/calves disappeared. Within another two days my toes had healed fantastically. I didn't need bandages and never looked back.

I saw people walking barefoot. I saw people walking in sandels no socks, and sandels with socks. I saw people walking in light, mid and heavy boots. And everywhere I saw new shoes and boots abandoned by the side of the Camino.

I saw people with such bad feet, I literally counted my blessings and considered that my small amount of pain/trouble (in comparison to others) was as nothing. There were folks with raw feet underneath and toes--well, enough.

My new merrill's were NOT broken in, I did that along the way and up and down a few hills and mountians, but bless them--I NEVER looked back, never had another moment of discomfort let alone pain.

Swelling: my feet didn't swell on the road and didn't get bigger as so many people said would happen or post here.

Get your socks right for you AND right for the season, and get your shoes/boots at least ONE SIZE LARGER. This journey does not need ankle support unless you personally know that you need it (weak ankles, personal history etc).

I've never used walking sticks, but did--and will do so again. I used vaseline on my feet each morning and will do the same again.

Heading out to Porto on the 24th of April 2013 to walk from there to Santiago.

Meanwhile the now vetern Merrill's jump up and down at the front door each time I go out of the house. I tell them, "no yet, but we are heading out again VERY soon". They are eager for the road and so too am I.

My feet? Are fine and the one (lost) toenail has been busy growing back in.

100, or 200 or 500 miles: just make sure your shoes are bigger than you normally take and--make sure your sense of humor is the first thing you pack, and then remember to use it every day!

Apologies for length, but hope it helps at least one SOLE.... :)

Blessings to all

Francesca

p[-

I agree that comfort is the most important thing. But it does make a difference what month you are traveling. Just be aware that September can go either way. It can be wonderfully hot, scorching hot, breezy and cool, pouring rain and anything in between. Since we're not very good at predicting weather you might want to decide about your main pair of shoes based on what you can tolerate easiest - feet too wet or feet too hot.
Generally speaking September has about 6 days of rain and the median temperature is between 15 and 19 degrees (centigrade) depending on where you are.
About your second pair of shoes - when you're finished walking for the day your feet will likely feel tired. But you still may want to walk around town a bit, go and pick up some groceries or go to a bar or a restaurant. Your second pair of shoes should serve for this as well as the shower if you feel you need shoes in the shower (not a bad idea in a public place of course). It's all about what feels good and works. Never one right answer for everybody.
Just fyi I generally walk in the early spring - quite wet and often muddy, although less so as more and more gets paved. I wear leather, waterproof boots and regular running shoes as the second pair (no shoes in the shower). Once though I walked in September - no rain and I walked in running shoes and loved it. Luckily in 2200 km on the camino I've never had a blister.
Buen camino
grins... what kind of shoes and socks??

Not big on boots or socks...I live in northern Canada and rarely wear boots...usually running shoes or trainers to walk in too so boots have been freaking me out. I have seriously been thinking about heavy duty wet/dry walking sandals with waterproof socks on the cold wet days...

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
As you can see there are as many suggestions on what is the best shoe for the Camino as there are trekkers. On my first Camino, I outgrew my short-ankle mountain boots after a 100 miles, and finished the Camino in hiking sandals. I walked in September and October 2011, and my feet were not cold. I was also blessed with good weather. The Camino Frances is mountainous in the east and west; there are more opportunities to stub your toe in these sections. If this is a concern, seek out hiking sandals that offer toe protection. My husband walked the CF with walking street shoes and was comfortable and without foot problems.

This year I walked the Camino Portuguese. I started out with hiking sandals. The Portuguese cobblestones quickly wore out the soles. Since it was also wet and cold, I purchased a good short-ankle hiking shoe and added a heal protector. These shoes were comfortable and kept me warm, but the soles were too thin, and I felt as if my feet were smashed with a meat tenderizer by the end of the day. Those Portuguese cobblestones are difficult to walk on.

So, what shoes to take on the Camino? If you can take a practice hike in the mountains with a full pack and not suffer with foot problems, then take those shoes. Take another pair for evening and about-town wear.

Don't forget to take care of you feet during the day. When taking a break, remove your socks and shoes. If I felt a hot spot, I would rub in sunscreen lotion, which seemed to help. I also moisturized my feet at night. With these precautions, I was successful in preventing blisters and walking without pain.

Buen Camino

Hello All

Swelling: my feet didn't swell on the road and didn't get bigger as so many people said would happen or post here.

Get your socks right for you AND right for the season, and get your shoes/boots at least ONE SIZE LARGER. This journey does not need ankle support unless you personally know that you need it (weak ankles, personal history etc).

[-

If your feet didn't swell why did you need a larger size?

The suggestion to go with a bigger size is only valid if you buy your boots early in the morning when you've been off your feet all night long. If OTOH you try them on late in the day after walking all day long (Even just around the shopping centre) your feet will already have swelled. If you then buy the shoes larger they will remain larger no matter what.

The other thing is boots/shoes can be narrow or wide. The size you need will depend on how the brand and model fits you. Ignore the size tag and try on things. Do it with your hiking socks on. I have shoes that range from my size. One size smaller. One size bigger. They all fit more or less the same on my feet.

Shoes that are too big will cause problems going down hill. You might not notice it any other time but going downhill your feet will start slipping. The same thing can happen if your laces aren't tight enough.

I need a larger size than normal to accomodate my walking socks. There should be wriggle room for the toes and the laces should tie tightly enough to prevent the shoe/boot slipping.

I was taught to check, and if neccessary, tighten the laces before setting off down hill.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Google likes them too, that's good enough reason :mrgreen:
Don't do vogues,

It's quite difficult to find out what they are made of, not rubber not plastic :roll:
I do like colours though :lol: as for go-faster-stripes well that defies logic!

They should have races in crocs could be a laugh :lol:
Each to there own, I know a people love them, I don't.........I'm very slow to tow the line.....

Now what about some races in the square at SDC. I am barracking for the bright orange crocs. As a slow runner mine are black. PS no hiking poles allowed in this race except for tripping.

I recently met a Buddhist nun (from Spain, now in France at the center near me) who did the Camino Frances in tongs (flip-flops). She started with expensive hiking boots but left them after a few days at an albergue. She said she never had a problem with her feet. I take this as one more affirmation that the only true answer in response to our questions of what type of boot or shoe to wear that anyone of us will ever get is from our own feet!

I need a larger size than normal to accomodate my walking socks.

Which is why I suggest trying your shoes/boots on with your hiking socks.

It's not different then anything else. You try on a winter coat dressed for winter. You try on a summer jacket dressed for summer.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
My Opinion:

New Balance for me with Superfeet insoles!

Which is why I suggest trying your shoes/boots on with your hiking socks.

It's not different then anything else. You try on a winter coat dressed for winter. You try on a summer jacket dressed for summer.
Yes, you would think it was obvious, but some people buy winter coats in summer clothes!!! I have seen them do so :rolleyes:
Buying boots for hiking it is experience, or advice like you have given, that alerts people for the need to wear their intended hiking socks and also buy later rather than earlier in the day. Obvious to many of us now.........but we all had a first time buying experience I am sure. :)

Im gonna try the merrills...and the bamboo socks
Hi Patti,
I'm also a Canadian - a southern BC one and the weather seems to be always a topic of conversation here - will it rain-again?
My formula for no blisters on the caminos -which may not work for anyone else is this. I prefer light leather boots that are waterproofed - not with gortex (hate that stuff) but with an external goop of some sort (dubbin). I've tried all kinds of socks and learned that for my feet it has to be a natural fibre.
I usually wear thin wool when it's cool and cotton when it's hot. And I change back and forth between two pairs of socks when it's hot. Leather shoes would also work but my ankles are a bit weak with the extra weight of the pack so I choose low boots. A few years ago the mud always came to the top anyway in some places in the early spring but now the CF is very groomed so this is much less of a problem. I've tried silk combinations and bamboo combinations but I find they wear holes in them too fast. That's not to say they won't work for you.
Buen camino.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hello All,

Footwear updates: As has been said by many others (and will continue to be a hot topic as our Soles are all important), the shoes one gets on with on a Camino are quite personal - YET there are generalities that can help a wide cross section of folks.

LARGER SIZE SHOES - as someone earlier asked, why did I need a size larger shoe/boot IF my feet DIDN'T swell. Well.....walking 500 miles plus, your feet are in them shoes/boots alot. The fact that your toes can spread and the foot has room in the toe is vital. The pre-walk early morning vaseline treatment helps sooo much with preventing blisters - and making sure your shoes/boots are laced correctly. A larger size = prevention and COMFORT. But again, you are your own guinea pig and must loot at options that might work for you.

Used the same Merrils this year, walking from Porto to Santiago as I did last year (see this thread for back story above), on the Camino Frances. Granted it was really a walk in the park compared to the Frances and the distance was so short - but the Portuguese cobllestones added a challenge - it was cobblestones the whole time! The one minus side on the Merrills - one does feel the cobblestones a little - but it was fine for me.

Camino Norte: Heading out on 1 October and aiming to start by the 4-5th. Will use these same shoes, same sock set up and see what the road unfolds.

Good Luck and Buen Camino!

Blessings to All,

Francesca

I always got boots a size larger than my normal size and had problems when walking long distances. When I passed through Escalion (starting from Le Puy), the guy in the hiking boot shop said you need a size and a half larger shoes. I followed his advice and never looked back. I now wear Solomon Elios and they are the most comfortable boots I have ever worn. I find having the ankle support makes them fit better.

I've been walking 4 k daily in a great pair of solid street shoes. On my at least 4th identical pair over the last number of years. They are comfortable and never give me blisters or any aggravation. Am planing to do the Camino in Sept 12. Reading so much about footware concerns me. Should I change to hiking boots? Should I stay where I am? I have excellent orthotics which save me. Put in about 7 K today.
Should I get boots, carry my shoes as seconds and forgo hiking sandals? But, everyone says I should have sandals for the auberges. Are hiking sandals appropriate for the auberges. Should I forego the hiking sandals and get a pair of thin flip flop for that use? Might I use sandals and shoes only and forego the boots? Is there so much mud that my street shoes will be overwhelmed and drowned?
Of course many of you are just going to say it's personal preference. I want to hear about the practical applications, why one choice is better for real reasons, not just personal preference. Why is one better than the other?.
Decisions, decisions. You have been there, come to my rescue
Wear what you are used to walking in. After some practice walks of more than 3 miles!
I wore hiking sandals - little strappy toe things by Hi-Tec and my genuine trade marked Crocs because I've not worn any footwear with backs for more than 10 years. Since both of these are light they reduced the weight of my pack.
I don't believe in ankle support but women often have more lifetime experience of walking in unsuitable shoes than men! I do believe in looking where I put my feet - mostly using periferal vision. I changed footwear at least once a day from Crocs to sandals or vice versa. I walked barefoot on suitable parts of stages - but I'm very used to walking barefoot and have thick soles! Think I only wore sox indoors for warmth on cold tiled floors. This was on the Norte in September 2010 age 60.
It did annoy me a little that fellow Camino walkers felt they could tell me what to wear/ not wear and how to put my rucsac on!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Question for experienced Camino walkers! I am breaking in a fabulous pair of Men's low hiking boots but my question is regarding sandals. I want to take one pair for evenings and as a "back up" in case of "emergency" but don't want something adding tons of weight on my back. What sorts of ultralite yet more substantial sandals have worked well for pilgrims? I've been perusing Teva's and Keen's...any suggestions?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I used my boots lightweight mid ankle from SJPdP to the outskirts of Pamplona and from Villamayor the Mojardín to Logrono but that ws only because I was a little bit worried about tear in one of the sandals. All other stages were done in my Ecco sandals with ten toe liners and a pair of mid weight smartwool socks or just the liners. No blisters no sprain ankles. I got shin splits in left leg but that I would have got in the boots as well as it was due to leaning asphalt road and the fact that my left leg is shorter than my right and it always happens on long walks on asphalt roads on the left side.

My sandals weight more than my boots :)

570aab2010a611e3bdcf22000a1fbe62_7.jpg

I used my boots lightweight mid ankle from SJPdP to the outskirts of Pamplona and from Villamayor the Mojardín to Logrono but that ws only because I was a little bit worried about tear in one of the sandals. All other stages were done in my Ecco sandals with ten toe liners and a pair of mid weight smartwool socks or just the liners. No blisters no sprain ankles. I got shin splits in left leg but that I would have got in the boots as well as it was due to leaning asphalt road and the fact that my left leg is shorter than my right and it always happens on long walks on asphalt roads on the left side.

My sandals weight more than my boots :)

570aab2010a611e3bdcf22000a1fbe62_7.jpg
I wore that very same make (men's size) of sandals for my first two caminos but this excellent cheap model (9 euros 99c) was then discontinued and for the Ruta de La Lana had to buy more expensive ones, around 16 euros.
P1110309.jpg

They were great but I had to put plastic bags over them for the snow.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I wore that very same make (men's size) of sandals for my first two caminos but this excellent cheap model (9 euros 99c) was then discontinued and for the Ruta de La Lana had to buy more expensive ones, around 16 euros.

They were great but I had to put plastic bags over them for the snow.
Eccos for €9 that was cheap mine cost me more than €100. I have the previous version of this one:http://shopeu.ecco.com/se/sv/ecco/offroad_445994/446004?navId=190 I want to know where you bought your sandals because here in Sweden Eccos are expensive.

I carry a tiny tube of superglue - perfect for instant trekking sandal repairs!!! Mine are Merrels.

Eccos for €9 that was cheap mine cost me more than €100. I have the previous version of this one:http://shopeu.ecco.com/se/sv/ecco/offroad_445994/446004?navId=190 I want to know where you bought your sandals because here in Sweden Eccos are expensive.
Here are mine, a bit shiny. There is a difference with a hole on yours on the front strap - but that is often the case for the woman's version. They were sold in Decathlon and in one pair I walked 3,500km with no problems.
P1030112.jpg

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.