• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Boots/shoes?

Middo

Time of past OR future Camino
2015 Frances. 2016 VDLP-Salamanca.
2017.Madrid
Hi. I am planning to undertake the Camino de Santiago in late August 2015. I have been reading a lot of the posts re footwear and appreciate the various recommendations from experienced pilgrims. I would like a recommendation for a good footwear outlet in Brisbane from a pilgrim who is satisfied with the service and quality of the boots/shoes they have on offer. Thanks in advance. Middo.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi. I am planning to undertake the Camino de Santiago in late August 2015. I have been reading a lot of the posts re footwear and appreciate the various recommendations from experienced pilgrims. I would like a recommendation for a good footwear outlet in Brisbane from a pilgrim who is satisfied with the service and quality of the boots/shoes they have on offer. Thanks in advance. Middo.
Paddy Pallin have provided me excellent service over many years.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
As for brands. Just ordered my second pair of Keen Gypsums. Love these boots.

I'm in the light-weight fan club, so I'd say Athletes Foot for a pair of runners - New Balance or ASICs. Get them a size larger than normal, to allow for your feet to spread and swell. Some people like Brooke's but they tend to wear and may not last the distance. Some people like Saucony. For runners they should be comfortable right out of the box.

I find runners have more padding and are better than trail runners on bitumen, concrete and and hard paths; others like the stiffer soles of a trail runner.

But then again you may be wedded to the concept of boots. As Doug says Paddy Pallin are usually knowledgeable, but they led me badly astray on my first camino and put me in boots that nearly crippled me. Also hiking shops only carry a couple of brands - you may need to visit a few to check out the different manufacturers. The manufacturers all have different lasts, different toe boxes, different heel widths. If you are relying on one shop it narrows the chance of finding the right fit for you.

Good advice from the Kanga there, however all feet are different. I have a wide toe area and Keens are noted for their wide toe box. They suit me well. However if you do choose boots over runners, ditch the factory innersole (dont care how much your boots cost. All factory innersoles are rubbish ), and relace with a good quality sports one.
If you have any real concerns about how your feet will handle the walk, a visit to a Podiatrist should answer some questions.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I decided on Merrells Moab Mid Waterproofs after recommendations, and tried them on at the Merrell shop just off Queen Mall in Brisbane. But at A$255 retail I had to check online pricing.
Got them thru Amazon from the US for US$120 plus US$35 postage.
Regds and best wishes on your most important gear purchase.
Buenos Camino
Gerard

But at A$255 retail I had to check online pricing.
Im afraid Im guilty of doing a fair bit of "show-rooming" myself. Im waiting on my second pair of Keen Gypsums from the UK. Even though I have a pair, I retried a new set to make sure of the size at a local big name outlet that had them for $235.00 and got them from the UK, posted free for $187.00.

Many thanks to all who replied with advice on footwear for the Camino. I ended up purchasing Mountain Running La Sportiva's from K2 in Fortitude Valley Brisbane. I have been wearing them on daily walks up and down Mt Cootha and play golf in them every weekend. I intend to begin my Camino in mid August 2015 so they should be run in by then.

regards
middo

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I decided on Merrells Moab Mid Waterproofs after recommendations, and tried them on at the Merrell shop just off Queen Mall in Brisbane. But at A$255 retail I had to check online pricing.
Regds and best wishes on your most important gear purchase.
Buenos Camino
Gerard
I just bought a pair of those Merrell Moab Mids...hope I am as happy as you were...so far really comfy...but early days yet

Agree with most of the above comments. If they are comfortable now then keep them til you go away. Most important also are the socks. I recently double socked it across Europe with Injinjis and a finer oversock in Coolmax. No blisters with my Keen Targhee II boots. The Camino can be very dusty/sandy which can get into shoes and create friction and then blisters. Good luck and buen Camino

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back