• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Boots, socks and blisters

Time of past OR future Camino
When I did the Camimo Frances in December of 2010, I met up almost daily with a young woman doing it in remembrance of her mother. We talked as pilgrims tend to about many things. Right around Portomarin she started to worry about how bad her blisters were getting. I share the tricks I knew, putting Desitin every morning and Silver Sulfadiazine Cream at night but it was too late. I then met her crying on the steps of a church. She only had 30 Km more to go but she could not take one more step. She had already called a taxi to take her to Compostela. Circumstances did not allow for an alternative. Of course it broke my heart.
I felt even worst to realize, I did not have a single blister.
Later when I did El Camino de Costa Rica, again through the 280 Km I did not get a single blíster either . I had used the same technique. But this time I realized I also had a not only a change of boots but also a pair of waking shoes that I alternated. I must consider this changing of footwear a significant factor also. I know not everyone can arrange to have available so many shoes, but if you can, do it.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Once I ditched hiking boots, starting wearing trail shoes and starting using Wright brand lined socks my blister issues disappeared. Took me a couple of Camino's to figure this out. The last four Camino's have been blister free.
On hotter days, I generally swap my socks out mid day as well. Dry feet don't tend to blister.

When I did the Camimo Frances in December of 2010, I met up almost daily with a young woman doing it in remembrance of her mother. We talked as pilgrims tend to about many things. Right around Portomarin she started to worry about how bad her blisters were getting. I share the tricks I knew, putting Desitin every morning and Silver Sulfadiazine Cream at night but it was too late. I then met her crying on the steps of a church. She only had 30 Km more to go but she could not take one more step. She had already called a taxi to take her to Compostela. Circumstances did not allow for an alternative. Of course it broke my heart.
I felt even worst to realize, I did not have a single blister.
Later when I did El Camino de Costa Rica, again through the 280 Km I did not get a single blíster either . I had used the same technique. But this time I realized I also had a not only a change of boots but also a pair of waking shoes that I alternated. I must consider this changing of footwear a significant factor also. I know not everyone can arrange to have available so many shoes, but if you can, do it.
That is wonderful that your method worked for you and may for others. But I have to say, at least for this pilgrim, I have used the same Brooks Cascadias for 7 caminos and over 7,000k and have had two blisters on my first camino and three tiny ones on my second. I used vaseline for a few caminos and now, luckily it is not needed. I know I got the first blisters because I was sloppy with my foot care and was walking 30K days for about 4-5 days. But glad you had blister free experiences. Glad I have also the last 5 caminos haha

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I also had a not only a change of boots but also a pair of waking shoes that I alternated. I must consider this changing of footwear a significant factor also. I know not everyone can arrange to have available so many shoes, but if you can, do it.
Maybe the walking shoes alone would have sufficed.

The tags "first aid/blisters" and "foot wear and care" have been added under the title of this post. If you click on them, you'll find no end of suggestions about this important issue.

Had simiilar issues. My first Camino resulted in some blisters (mostly alleviated by using 1000 mile socks, but I did get mild blisters. Then I read the most obvious statement that I've ever ignored. Your feet get wider when you walk (DUH!). Moving up to a one size wider shoe and the use of liner socks has removed all blisters. 4 Caminos later and no blisters (now I've probably cursed myself and will get them as I walk another Camino now).

There really is a pattern:

1) Use liner socks
2) Upgrade one size in width
3) As you walk through the day, take off your shoes and socks and rub those feet airing them out
4) Maybe use a lubricant (although I've never had to do that)
5) Change your socks (never had to do that as well since I'm a religous foot massager.
6) Don't use boots (although here also the use of 1 and 2 above seems to have fixed the problem in other walks where I got blisters but used boots.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi John!
Can you clarify? Just have NO clue about "liner socks". Cannot locate them in some of the outdoor stores here in Niagara.
I've seen them here in Toronto. They are lighter, thinner, smooth socks worn inside heavier hiking socks. I think there are a couple of ideas of why they might be helpful:
- they can wick moisture away from the feet, which can help reduce blisters
- the friction that the hiking sock may put on the foot, creating a blister, is instead expended on the liner (sort of like the double-layer Wright socks, except with two pairs of socks instead of one double layer pair)

These advantages need to be weighed against
- the additional weight (not a huge concern for me, as liners are light, but if you are the type of person cutting off tags and drilling holes in your toothbrush to save weight...)
- the additional insulation/heat if you are walking in a hot season

Hi John!
Can you clarify? Just have NO clue about "liner socks". Cannot locate them in some of the outdoor stores here in Niagara.
Sorry, should have used better phrasing. I should have said two layer socks (I.e. those that have an inner polyester layer which is slippery and an outer layer (ideally Marino wool)). I’ve used “1000 Mile Socks” for a few years. Just google that and multiple order sources show up. There are other brands but I haven’t used them.

What works - really varies for each individual. That is why it is so important to buy your shoes/socks and train in them in advance. Sounds like that unfortunate woman didn't do her research and long distance training to find the right shoe/sock combination for her.

Me? I have no need to carry an extra pair of walking shoes. I wear my trail runners and my only spare shoe is my evening teva or xero sandals. I selected them because they are lightweight, can be worn around town, can even be worn in the shower if needed, AND - in a pinch - I can hike in them (but I have to wear socks or I will blister).

My perfect shoe is an altra lone peak trail runner, sized up. My perfect sock to go with my perfect shoe is injinji toe socks paired with either injinji or darn tough cushioned merino wool sock.

I don't put an ointments on my feet. I don't change my socks during the day unless they become too wet on a rainy or otherwise wet day. I don't remove my shoes and socks during the day to air out my feet. I don't alternate my hiking shoe. It works great for me - when I wear my altra lone peaks sized up with injinji toe socks and injinji or darn tough cushioned merino wool sock. But that is what works for ME.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I completed the Frances - once from SJPDP, once from Sarria plus many other local hikes and have not struggled with blisters - in fact i have not yet had a single blister. I set off on Porto camino next week and hoping this continues.

My approach is preventative in nature and covers a lot of what @John Sikora says above, though @jeanineonthecamino is right - this works for me but only long distance practice runs will help anyone realise what works for them

1 - Shoes- the Caminos aren't particularly difficult underfoot so don't see a need in hiking boots. Walking shoes or trail runners do the job - I used the Solomon x ultra 3 which have died and the x ultra 4 is so different and doesnt work for me so I needed an alternative. I must have tried 20 - 30 different shoes to find the best fit (Amazon try before you buy is a god send here - you can walk around the house for an hour in them and as long as they are pristine you can send them back - and no money is taking from your card unless you choose to keep them). I actually found the Karrimor Sabre to be a good fit - and I am 0.5 to 1 size bigger than normal fit to allow swell space.
1a - Laces - All my walking shoes have the quick lace system. That way I am more inclined to take my shoes off and let my feet breath a little at my rest stops - with lace ups I tended to just leave my shoes on even though its not really a lot of effort!

2 - Socks - I swear by 1000 mile fusion. They are dual layer so have the liner and outer sock. But whatever combo - most of the people i have heard say "never struggle with blisters" will be using a dual layer combo of some kind.

3 - Keep them clean and dry. If you shoes / socks get wet try and get them dry or change them as soon as you can.

4 - Moleskin! I always carry moleskin. The SECOND I feel a hotspot I stop and cover that patch with a piece of moleskin. Not at the next coffee break, or the top of the hill - do it straight away. This doesn't happen too often, but when it does, prevention is better than cure!

Found this:

Avoid cotton liners. Cotton won’t keep your feet dry therefore it won’t prevent rubbing.
The best fabrics for liner socks are the synthetic ones like nylon and polyester.
Wool has the added benefit of regulating temperature to keep you cool in summer and warm in winter.
Make sure your liners have a snug fit. If they are too loose they might rub and cause blisters themselves!
Sock liners come in different lengths, from low-cut to high-. You’ll want to pick the cut that matches your choice of sock and shoe. If you wear high-top hiking boots, make sure you find a sock liner that comes higher than the top of your boot to prevent rubbing.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
A piece of academic research with links to other pieces of academic research into the subject. Sadly, not awfully illuminating.

Attachments

• The influence of sock composition on the appearance of foot blisters in hikers.pdf
    88.7 KB · Views: 8
A piece of academic research with links to other pieces of academic research into the subject. Sadly, not awfully illuminating.
@dick bird, I think that it reflects much of the discussion here, where individual forum members have found various combinations of socks, creams and lotions, and preventative taping successful. Over the years that I have watched this, individuals have shared their success stories in dealing with blisters without one particular solution standing out as being more effective than others.

I do find it encouraging that paper tape emerged as an effective form of barrier protection, albeit at a moderate confidence level. I started using this technique well before my first camino on longer distance competitive walking (race walking) events. I also used some strapping to ease the pressure between my big and next toe caused by a bunion, but I have given that up over the years and just tape between those toes. It works.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.