• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Boots: To Gore Tex or not to Gore Tex...

Erno1978

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi all,

I'm still early in preparation for my first Camino Frances (April/May 2016). Still wondering about boots. At first I thought: I don't need waterproof-ness. But now I'm wondering... what if I'm unlucky and it will rain for several days non-stop? How will you keep your feet dry then?

Any advice on the need for waterproof-ness footgear if you leave (early) spring?

Thanks a lot!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
April/May doesn't seem like early spring to me - remember this is Spain - I found some muddy patches on the Camino Frances at that time of year - now I walk in trail shoes with a fabric outer that gets wet but the heat of my foot quickly dries the inside - more sensible for you, I would think, just to bring extra pairs of socks or buy a pair of waterproof socks if you must

Hello there!

I walked with Gore Tex light trekking shoes (Mammut). It was in summer time last year. No problem! I was very satisfied with them. In Galicia it was very rainy and I was happy for it! So next time.. Gore Tex again for me.. :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I walk every year in April/May/June and have never worn Goretex.
My shoes, if they do get wet, are always dry next morning.
Personally, I'd worry more about Goretex holding in sweat and causing blisters.

I also would not wear boots on the Camino.
Unless you already have boots you love, or have weak ankles, boots aren't necessary.

The Camino is not a mountain hike, but more of a long walk with a few short hills to climb.
I wear New Balance trail runners every year.

But this is one of those "every person has their own opinion" topics.

You can still get a lot of rain in May, in fact into June. My boots are Goretex, because here in Costa Rica, you buy what you find on sale at the moment you need it. The only boots for ladies available, when I needed to get a new pair were with Goretex.I have hiked here with them, where we have mid 20 degrees temperature most days of the year and I've never felt hot or uncomfortable in them.
However, ask one hundred people what is their preference and you will get 100 different opinions! This is partly, I think, that feet differ some much in shapes and sizes, deformed or young and without 'age' defects, etc. etc!

I've been quite happy (and comfortable) training in my Ahnu boots, but have packed some SoftMoc sandals for periodic breaks…..had I known a bit more in the beginning (before I found the forum), I might have considered trail runners as well, but no regrets whatsoever. I like the ankle support of the Ahnus.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
No to boots, but yes trail 'runners' but not made for running but walking. And unless you have particularly sweaty feet, yes to Gortex. Have always had it, haver never regreted it, and even congratulated myself for having them is the infamous cold and rainy May of 2013. Cold always, only wet from Altua condensation in Merino T-shirts, but super happy feet even if walking in 8 inches of mud day after day.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.