• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Boots with cushioned soles

sfoley

Hi,
I have walked the Camino from St Jean to Burgos and have found that my Demon boots with Vibram soles are too hard and the bottom of my feet get sore around 20km as the soles are too solid rubber without enough cushioning. Have tried different insoles which improves but doesnt get rid of the problem.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a Boot with Goretex that has good cushioning in the sole.

Buen Camino,
sfoley

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
sfoley!
I had the same problem and even some knee ache. It started before my camino when I started to walk more to be fit for the camino and I walked a lot in the streets in my city, to and from work etc.
My boots came with Wibram with a thinner inner sole. My solution was to replace the inner soles with an extra soft and supporting ones. I got them custom-made for me by an orthoped technician and it was worth all the money it cost (about 75 Euro). During my camino from SJPP to Burgos the last two weeks in May I walked daily between 15- 35 kilometers and without pain neither in legs or knees.
buen camino
annie

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Another post is a good cautionary tale of pushing too hard:

"Re: Shin splint

"Post by gittiharre on 04 Jun 2009, 05:07
"Hi, I got shinsplints and they got really bad on the descent to Ponferrada, which was brutally hot and steep and I got dehydrated. Definetely I recommend breaking that descent and staying the night half way down, you loose about 700 metres in height coming into Ponferrada and I hated it. The path was stony and you had to watch every step. I could not weightbear for 2 days after that, the pain was excruciating. I did get to Santiago eventually though. Gitti"

Read the word "excruciating" several times!! Consider respecting your personal limits.

I purchased cushioned inner soles from New Balance for my trail shoes.
They cost me $30 and the only time I had any trouble was the one afternoon when I pushed my self to do a double-day's walk after finding bedbugs in the aubergue we meant to stay in.

Taking out the innersoles from your boots and replacing them with a heavily cushioned inner sole may help a lot.

Good luck!

Hi,
Thank you for your replies falcon269, anniethenurse and anniesantiago. I have been recommended Mendl and Saloaman boots that are lighter and have more cushioning in the sole for the hard road and i think i may get the New Balance insoles as a backup as they are light to carry. The customised insoles are a bit expensive for me.

Buen Camino,
sfoley

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi here is my tuppence worth re boots:- I wore my pretty Brasher Supalites from Santiago to Fisterra and found that the though boots were very comfortable the soles were just too light for anything over 20km a day and, lacking a Vibram sole, were not as 'sticky' as I'd like on slippery terrain.
Walking from SJPP to Santiago I used a new pair of Brasher Towa GTXs these are gortex and have a much spongier double sandwich of foam between the vibram sole and the boot proper.These boots were great-light, waterproof and provided brilliant cushioning. All of which more than compensates for their vaguely 'Frankenstein' looks (I am size UK 5/Eur 38 so this would be compounded in larger sizes I'm not looking for Jimmy Choos here but it would be great if they could combine those functions but something a little less.....clumpy!)
Bonne route
Nell

Terry wore Hi-Tec Altitude IV WP boots for his Camino, and I have a womens pair ready for next year. Both of us find them so good and comfortable that we have just bought new ones (ready for 2011 in case the present ones are too worn to walk the Camino Inglés). Also cushioned soled socks help - we use Corrymoor mohair ones, available on-line.
Happy feet!!
Buen Camino
Tia Valeria and Tio Tel

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.