• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Boots

sydunipete

Time of past OR future Camino
SJPP to Santiago commencing 5 April 2014
Leon to Santiago commencing April 2015
In less than a month I start my first Camino from SJPP to Santiago.

My question is will one pair of boots see me through the distance ?

I'm 6'4" (192cms), 95kg plus my pack (10kg). Tall people will know we can be quite hard wearing on shoes.

To complicate matters I have large feet so simply buying another pair of shoes / boots along the way is not an option for me.

My plan is to carry a second pair of light runners which I can wear in the evenings and which will also serve as a backup in case I get a blowout in my hiking boots.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Make sure you wear them in . . .

Yes. Definitely. Presuming you've test driven them and they fit ! (If they are already worn out , you may be looking for another pair of hiking boots )

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
They're well worn in. I've been doing 25km hikes regularly. I'm happy the boots are well worn in so I'm now training with other boots saving the tread life for the Camino.

The expert who fitted me for my Keen boots told me that those particular boots had about 1700 to 2000 kilometers in them before they needed to be replaced.

That's good. Mine are Keen too.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I'm not quite as tall 185 which is say 6'1 going on 2 and not in the same weight class always wear Salomon boots and they always saw me through. A second pair in my opinion are a hefty un-needed weight but do take something else for evenings-comfort for sure but its important for your hoof health and to dry out the boots. Another tip? Take your boots off, a quick massage, and change your socks at lunch time-best thing you can possibly do for your feet and it feels so good. 25km is a good distance for training, on the Camino you will do it every day, today, tomorrow, over the weekend, next week and probably next month as well-a totally different comittment. PS light runners are fine should you decide to carry that second pair of boots don't be tempted to save weight with something stupid like Crocs-"be kind to your knees you will miss them when they are gone" the man said and boy is he right! One pair of boots on the rack outside the albergue, another strapped onto your backpack, light runners, and a pair of shower shoes? You're a walking shoestore!

That's good. Mine are Keen too.

SydneyUniversity Pete if you are taking joggers as your second pair of shoes you'll be fine. Most Spaniards only wear trainers and I walk in lightweight Asics - they last 1000 plus and it's the fabric on top that goes first.

The expert who fitted me for my Keen boots told me that those particular boots had about 1700 to 2000 kilometers in them before they needed to be replaced.

Robert:

Just as an FYI, I wore Keen Targhee II mid-height boots on my first Camino last April-May. Before the camino, I walked perhaps 200 miles / 320 km in them while training at home. I would say I put about 1200 Km on them in total by the time I returned home.

When I got home, I noticed that the outer layer on the out-sole (bottom) had started to wear through on some of the lighter colored (grey) nubs. You could actually see the fiber material they used on the mid-sole. It was occurring more on one shoe than the other. But you could see that the lighter-grey material was softer and wore faster than the black bits of the outer sole. I am certain this was the design intention.

I sent photos to Keen footwear. They accepted this as a warranty claim, as I suggested to them that 500-600 miles was a tad short of what I thought I might expect for a pair of boots costing USD 140. Long story made short, they provided me an online voucher for a free pair of boots of the same cost and told me to keep the original pair.

I found a place locally that resoled hiking boots of all kinds. They resoled the original Keen boots using factory-supplied outsoles and returned them to me, with new insoles too, at a total cost (including postage) of USD 87. Just do a Google or Bing search for "resoling hiking boots."

Oh, this past week I ordered and received my free, new pair of Keen Targhee II boots under the warranty claim. I would have bought them sooner but they were out of my size - 13 US. I now wear both pair of boots for training but will use the pair that is most comfortable on my second Camino. I depart my home on 24 April.

So, I think you will find your Keen boots excellent for the Camino. I truly love mine. They are light, reasonably waterproof, have great toe protection and large toe boxes and I did not have one blister the entire 800 Km. I was just disappointed at the rate of wear. Should this happen to you, write them and include photos - I used my iPhone camera.

I hope this helps you or someone else.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Most modern, high quality boots will stand up to the wear and tear of the Camino. I wore a pair of Merrill Moab high-tops for perhaps 300-400 miles while training, then the 500 miles of the CF. They're still in good shape, with only the wearing on the heel and the nubs of the tread pattern that you'd expect for that distance. I still wear them several times a week while hiking around town, although as the weather warms up, I'll probably be back to to my Merrill low-top hiking shoes. Whatever boot you get, just be sure you've walked enough miles before leaving to make you comfortable once you get started on the Camino. There are many threads on this forum regarding the selection and fitting of boots or hiking shoes and training, so I won't repeat what's been said a hundred times before.
Buen Camino
Jim

In less than a month I start my first Camino from SJPP to Santiago.

My question is will one pair of boots see me through the distance ?

I'm 6'4" (192cms), 95kg plus my pack (10kg). Tall people will know we can be quite hard wearing on shoes.

To complicate matters I have large feet so simply buying another pair of shoes / boots along the way is not an option for me.

My plan is to carry a second pair of light runners which I can wear in the evenings and which will also serve as a backup in case I get a blowout in my hiking boots.

You might want to consider a pair of proper trail runner / hiking shoes or sandals as the emergency "spare tyres" in your scheme as opposed to something lighter. Firms like Merrill, Teva and keen all make quality heavy-duty walking sandals. They might weight less than closed shoes. You can also use these "dinghy" shoes or sandals apres trekking, once you are settled in at your albergue or hostal. They usually do not allow hiking boots inside.

Any footwear you buy intending to hike in should also be fitted with the actual socks you plan to wear. Don't forget to allow space in the toe box for serious downhill walking. Too many people try to cram two pair of socks into the street-sized shoes and end up losing toenails and dealing with toe blisters as a result of the down hill pounding your feet can take. PLan ahead and enjoy the journey.

On the other hand, there are Decathlon sports department stores along the way. They sell boots, trail runners, walking sandals, etc. as large as a 47 (the size I wear for hiking). I know because I checked it out just-in-case I needed it. But I would recommend you use this as a viable "plan B." Also, there are Zapateros (cobblers / shoe makers) in most large towns and cities along the way as well. You would just need to ask on arriving in a large town or city.

Bottom line, I think there are several options to lugging more weight than you need to from the beginning. For an example of where the Decathlon stores are and what they carry, try here: http://www.decathlon.es/.

For men's hiking boots: http://www.decathlon.es/C-1009741-b...-¿para-que-las-vas-a-usar~senderismo-trekking

Note that they carry several name brands as well as their house brand. Their house brand is called Quechua. You will see tons of assorted gear with that brand along the camino. As a general statement, this brand offers excellent value for money. I lived in Europe for two years and bought lots of their stuff for several sports.

Store locations: Go to home page - http://www.decathlon.es Click on "Mi tienda" to enable the search function. However, there are Decathlon stores in, or a short bus or taxi ride from the center of the city in, at least Pamplona, Burgos, Leon. There is also a store in Santiago de Compostela.

I hope this helps.

Depends on how hard you are on boots. Most shoes are good for at least 500 miles but maybe not if you are a hardcore heel striker. You would struggle to get large size boots and or shoes along the way. I am a size 14US and there is no way I could buy shoes along the way.

Check the Decathlon site as they have the biggest sports and outdoor shopping company in Europe. A spare pair of trainers might not be a bad idea but go for triathlon light as opposed to running light as there is a big difference between the weights of the two types of shoes.

If you do buy new shoes then consider keeping the insoles from the old shoes and installing them in the new shoes as this will help prevent blistering during the breaking in period.

C

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I find that if you have to break in a new pair of boots, you have bought the wrong boot. If they don't feel right when you try them on in a shop, don't buy them. I only trek with Scarpa boots and I have never had a problem.

Like Jmcarp, I wore Merrell Moab Ventilators and they fit like a glove from day one. I wore them for about a month before my Camino, walked from SJPdP to SdC, and they are still my "go to" shoes when doing even a moderate amount of walking around town. They were mid-high, the style I'd recommend.
I like them so much, I'm looking for a pair of low tops to wear as casual walk around shoes for in town now.
I also agree with marbuck about boots needing to fit from the start (I bought mine online from Zappos but tried on many pairs in stores before I ordered them to make sure I had the best possible brand, style, and fit).
Remember the importance of good socks!!

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.