• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Boots

Nancy P.

Time of past OR future Camino
September - October 2014
I have been struggling to find the best boots to wear. I have a bone spur near my big toes and sometimes the boots I try hit that spur when I am hiking. Esatto custom made boots have been recommended, but they are heavy (3.2 lbs). Is it a mistake to wear the heavier leather boots?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have been struggling to find the best boots to wear. I have a bone spur near my big toes and sometimes the boots I try hit that spur when I am hiking. Esatto custom made boots have been recommended, but they are heavy (3.2 lbs). Is it a mistake to wear the heavier leather boots?

I cannot understand why people think it necessary to wear boots. Try lightweight joggers or trail runners or hiking sandals. What are your most comfortable shoes? Why not take them?

1.jpg

Hi Nancy,
You wear what is comfortable for you. It is necessary for some to wear boots, trainers, sandals, crocks, clogs, bare feet. I am on my fifth pair of boots they weigh 3 lbs 14 oz they are very comfortable and blister free. I also have a small leg problem pic attached. The choice is very wide but it is your choice I have seen all types of footware on the Camino, there is no right or wrong answer.
You pays yer money you takes yer chance. But I always carry a screwdriver.

Buen Camino.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I agree with Kanga.
I have worn New Balance trail runners on all of my Caminos with no problems at all.
I buy them 1.5 sizes too large and replace the inserts with Motion Control gel inserts.
No blisters.
No breaking in.
No problems.
I have limited experience having only walked the Camino twice for a total of 2,400 miles but almost mirror your view always buy min 1 size too large and like you always replace the inserts with Sorbothanne inserts...............................
Mid-mountain boot brand new for last years camino...........
No blisters.
No breaking in.
No problems.
I would not be happy in trail runners and I'm sure you would not feel happy in boots.

I think that stating that it is not necessary to wear boots for the Camino is as wrong statement as saying you have to. It is neccesary for many; not so for many others as well. When it comes to long distance hiking shoes, EVERYBODY HAS HIS/HER OWN NEEDS. People who come to this forum asking for what type shoe to wear need to realize that is only the first step; they need to TRY AND PRACTICE so that they can find what works for them. It is very unreasonable to think that ONE type of shoes would be OK for everybody.

I have tried dozens of walking sandals; Keen, TEVA, Crocs, named them; they fit me horribly and I cannot wait to take them off my feet. On the other hand, give me my Merrell hiking boots and I am in heaven walking on pillows. Go figure.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
there are two major independent factors for choosing the right footwear - terrain and climate. next, how long, how fast you will walk, what is your BMI, load to carry, use of walking poles, right socks for particular footwear etc. almost like a rocket science :) any orthopaedic problem may override all above and you need to consult your doctor instead. for an average person any boots will be ok, just take them off and rest for an hour or a day, if they start to bother you. it is not a race after all. otherwise, if you need to meet certain time and distance targets, then perhaps you may consider to take even two pairs of them. for instance in summer GTX trail runners to wear in the morning and rain, and sport sandals for afternoon and dry days. a luxury? perhaps. i have no personal CdS experience even though have covered more than 800km during last 3 months on local trails. therefore please take a look at http://elcaminodesantiago21.blogspot.fi/search/label/El Calzado - O Calçado . and you may find also other things on Pepe's blog pretty inspiring.

I am always leery whenever I see one of these posts asking what kind of boots you should wear or what kind of pack you should buy. If someone posted the question, "I don't feel well, what kind of medication should I take?", the only responsible answer should be, "Go see a doctor." In that same vein, I think the appropriate answer here should be go get fitted by a professional for your footwear and your backpack. I know this puts my in the minority, but I believe it is sound advice.

Last edited:
I am always leery whenever I see one of these posts asking what kind of boots you should wear or what kind of pack you should buy. If someone posted the question, "I don't feel well, what kind of medication should I take to make myself feel better?", the only responsible answer should be, "Go see a doctor." In that same vein, I think the appropriate answer here should be go get fitted by a professional for your footwear and your backpack. I know this puts my in the minority, but I believe it is sound advice.

correct. and first off CdS is a spiritual path. but still it is some 800km long, so some less confident and without long distance hiking record may get concerned. unfortunately footwear and backpack professionals are not in reach for everybody, so asking in the forum may provide some guidelines. having said that, my own and rather cruel opinion is that these fears are just an indication that one is not yet ready to go. and the answer then would be "you will find out this when you go". sure, this is not a responsible answer either.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I think that stating that it is not necessary to wear boots for the Camino is as wrong statement as saying you have to. It is neccesary for many; not so for many others as well. When it comes to long distance hiking shoes, EVERYBODY HAS HIS/HER OWN NEEDS. ... It is very unreasonable to think that ONE type of shoes would be OK for everybody.

Amen!

I am on my feet all day and with old age coming on fast I started to have trouble with my feet a year or so ago. I found Finn Comfort Finnimac shoes thank the heavens! Amazing! Then came the camino so I ordered the Tibet boot by Finn Comfort. We'll see. I'll be leaving in a couple weeks to really try these babies out!

I think the reason for the advice to wear lighter weight trail running shoes, or hiking shoes is to inform the people who have not done the Camino yet that it is not all a technical type hike, and heavy mountain type hiking boots are not a necessity. A great deal of it is on improved surfaces (blacktop, concrete, etc). I would guess that notion that it is very technical is perpetuated somewhat by portrayals and photos of peregrinos all decked out like they are about to tackle K-2 or Everest. People see this and assume heavy hiking boots (and thick "hiking" socks) are needed.

Of course there are exceptions. I'm sure for some (people with physical conditions or old injuries) heavier, supportive boots are a must. But for the most part I would think that during the warmer, drier months of walking the Camino the lighter footwear works fine. Probably even more important than footwear is choice of socks and not carrying too much stuff in your pack. ;)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I think the reason for the advice to wear lighter weight trail running shoes, or hiking shoes is to inform the people who have not done the Camino yet that it is not all a technical type hike, and heavy mountain type hiking boots are not a necessity. A great deal of it is on improved surfaces (blacktop, concrete, etc). I would guess that notion that it is very technical is perpetuated somewhat by portrayals and photos of peregrinos all decked out like they are about to tackle K-2 or Everest. People see this and assume heavy hiking boots (and thick "hiking" socks) are needed.

Of course there are exceptions. I'm sure for some (people with physical conditions or old injuries) heavier, supportive boots are a must. But for the most part I would think that during the warmer, drier months of walking the Camino the lighter footwear works fine. Probably even more important than footwear is choice of socks and not carrying too much stuff in your pack. ;)

Hi Mark,
No offence taken and never will be, it is again another of those opinions possibly concerning the most personal item of gear. One detail is very very sure if you are not comfortable with your footwear you sure won't be walking too far. I never advocate anyone adopt my type of footwear which is not in any way unique but at 71 years old it works for this old sod. In 2014 SJPdP to Santiago in 27 days, 15 kg pack, 1,400 photos and many many younger friends, and yes these 3 lbs 14 oz boots have been up above Everest Base Camp to 18,500 feet but not K2.
But am I the person with a physical condition, or with an old injury or just an old pilgrim physically injured. I leave that up to others to decide but I am very happy with my lot.

I've only one thing to say on this subject and that is a pound on your feet is ten pounds on your back.

Hi tictoc,

I'll have a pound in my pocket and a glass of Estrella Galicia...........por favor.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I was not trying to be offensive in my previous post. Just letting the original poster know that I saw quite a few peregrinos practically skipping their way down the Camino from St. Jean all the way to Santiago wearing running shoes or trail runners and carrying packs that looked like they probably weighed 5 kilos.

;)

Nancy is having trouble finding boots because of a specific foot problem she has.
I hope it is helpful for her to know there are alternatives.

I was not trying to be offensive in my previous post. Just letting the original poster know that I saw quite a few peregrinos practically skipping their way down the Camino from St. Jean all the way to Santiago wearing running shoes or trail runners and carrying packs that looked like they probably weighed 5 kilos.

;)

Hi Mark,
I said no offence is ever taken as they say in France " Vive la Difference " The choice is vast hundreds in fact which is why many pilgrims wear different footwear of their choice, even our own 2 feet are rarely the same size.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Mark,
I said no offence is ever taken as they say in France " Vive la Difference " The choice is vast hundreds in fact which is why many pilgrims wear different footwear of their choice, even our own 2 feet are rarely the same size.

Oh, I know. I was just clarifying what I originally said, that's all.

Cheers, bro.
;)

@Nancy P. , unless you go out there and try every pair of boots, I don't think that anybody could help you, unless they know what kind of problem you have (real knowledge, not thinking about it).

I don't think that the Esatto are two heavy, because they are custom made boots, adapted to your feet. If you have something that you know that it works (like those ones, made for your feet, and adapted to your problem?), I think that you should go for them. You can always check a podiatrist, and see what he can tell you ;)

There are alternatives, like trail shoes, sandals, etc, etc. But only you know what will work with you. Every feet is different, don't forget about that.

I hope you find the solution for your problem :)

Best Regards
Diogo

I cannot understand why people think it necessary to wear boots. Try lightweight joggers or trail runners or hiking sandals. What are your most comfortable shoes? Why not take them?
Kanga - boots or not boots depends on the time of year in my opinion. I left Le Puy last year in early April and even in Salomon's 'waterproof" boots had trouble in the 6 inches deep mud that was in many places, running creeks on the path in other places, fresh snow for a few days(about 4 inches), and assorted path challenges. It's a very different scene than later on in the spring and summer. And being older with weakish ankles, and frequently walking in the early spring I wouldn't even consider wearing sandals or runners.

So that's why this person thinks it's necessary to wear boots... and incidentally - no blisters even after the 1200 km.walk -lucky, lucky me I think.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Cecelia, for people who like boots, it's fine.

I just want newbies to know its a choice.

If I walked a winter Camino, (real winter - Dec to Feb), I'd consider something other than my lightweight runners. But I've walked from Match to November in my Asics, through pouring rain, ankle deep mud, and twice in light snow. Yes, my feet get wet, muddy and cold. But the shoes wash easily and dry almost instantly.

Generally when I walk I'm more likely to be hot than cold.

Most importantly for me, my runners don't cause any pain, boots do. Just something to do with how my foot works.

Hi Cecelia. I must've been a week behind you on the Le Puy route last year. I wore an old pair of Merrel hiking shoes and they were okay.

In the book "Wild" a seasoned hiker was adamant that "boots are for going downhill!"

Remember the descents into St Private D'Allier and St Chely? I wish I had boots then. My left ankle looked like a Botero sculpture.

That said I met a Canadian guy who swore by his sandals (for the same reason Kanga swears by her trainers; even in the snow covered mud.

Also met a French guy in tennis shoes that looked like espadrilles and wouldn't trade them for anything!

Go figure.

I think that stating that it is not necessary to wear boots for the Camino is as wrong statement as saying you have to. It is neccesary for many; not so for many others as well. When it comes to long distance hiking shoes, EVERYBODY HAS HIS/HER OWN NEEDS. People who come to this forum asking for what type shoe to wear need to realize that is only the first step; they need to TRY AND PRACTICE so that they can find what works for them. It is very unreasonable to think that ONE type of shoes would be OK for everybody.

I have tried dozens of walking sandals; Keen, TEVA, Crocs, named them; they fit me horribly and I cannot wait to take them off my feet. On the other hand, give me my Merrell hiking boots and I am in heaven walking on pillows. Go figure.

I love my Merrell hiking shoes; they are eighteen months old. Last weekend I tried to buy the same model in a larger size for long walks. Not possible. :-(

It's back to the drawing board for me.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I am on my feet all day and with old age coming on fast I started to have trouble with my feet a year or so ago. I found Finn Comfort Finnimac shoes thank the heavens! Amazing! Then came the camino so I ordered the Tibet boot by Finn Comfort. We'll see. I'll be leaving in a couple weeks to really try these babies out!
hiya, so how did u do with these shoes

thanks everyone... i agree, everyones feet (& needs) r different ... & i will have to try them all on & find the ones that work for me :rolleyes: however, with all your experiences of what works for u is a very great help in pointing me to the right shoe/boot.... :p I am traveling this Saturday over 100 miles to a REI to have professional help... I will pick out a pair of hiking - boots, shoes, & sandals :cool: Where I live there is all different terrian & weather ....
Much thanks, buen camino

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.