• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Boots

richeyboy

Time of past OR future Camino
SJPdP-SdeC: Oct 2011; SJPP-Leon, Oct 14; Tomar (PO)/SJPP Oct 15
I have been using standard leather boots with goretex for all the walking (cross country, mountains and roads/tracks) I have done so far however my current much loved pair is ending its live and I shall need to replace them before I do the Camino next year. I have been recommended MBT boots (Masai Boot Technology) but before I buy a pair (they are not cheap) I wondered if anybody has experience of them and in particular would they be suitable for the camino frances?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi - I've been looking at the MBTs as well. Not quite convinced about their suitability for the camino, especially the downhill parts. A couple of people have reported that their toes got jammed into the front of the boot on downhill sections. Have a look at the forum:

http://www.mbtshoesforum.com

Good luck!

lynne

I have a pair of MBT shoes, but have stopped wearing them. As I have aged I have the pleasure acquiring knees that ache and become sore after walking or exercising. The MBT shoe was recommended to me, but after attempting to wear them for several months I just stopped. My knees were far more painful than normal.

The MBT may be an excellent shoe for others, but it is not a shoe/boot that will work for everyone. They are pricey. If you are going to purchase them, clarify that the store has a good return policy. If you are not absolutely sold on them after wearing them a short time, take them back and then go down and buy from a host of other brands that are also excellent choices for less money.

Walk gently, but in as much comfort as possible.

Michael

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Michael - Thanks for that heads-up. My knees are not great either and they always need acupuncture and physio before and after each camino. I currently have the most knee-friendly boots I have ever owned, so I think I'll pass on the MBTs, and save that chunk of money. Others really love them, however, so whatever helps your journey. :)

lynne

After walking in New Balance All Terrain shoes, HiTec boots and in a pair of sandals, I have gone back to the Hi Tec Waterproof V-Lite with the Vibram sole. They are lightweight, comfortable and give my skinny ankles just the right support.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.