• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bordeaux to Santiago via Camino del Norte

sharon w

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2007
Camino Portugues 2009
Via Podiensis, Camino Frances, Camino Finisterre 2012
Cammino di Assisi 2014
Via Podiensis, Camino del Norte, Camino Frances(Astorga to Santiago) 2015
Aussie Camino 2016
Has anyone walked from Bordeaux to Irun and then followed the Northern route? We are hoping to do this next year if the French part is not along roads.
Sharon

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Sharon, I only know of cycle paths between Bordeaux and Irun. Another alternative is to walk the beach which stretches from Mimizan Plage to Bayonne/Biarritz. I don't know if this is any help to you.

The Tours route goes through Bordeaux. To join the Norte there is several options, you can walk a link up section between the Tours route and the Voie Littoral, and from there it goes to Bayonne and leads directly to Hendaye and Irun, I have walked on the Voie Littoral and while most of it was on quiet soft surfaces through forests, you would be on asphalt to the Spanish Border from where you join it. The other options are to walk to either St Palais on the Tours route and follow local walking routes to Irun, many pilgrims do this or walk to Saint Jean Pied de Port and follow the route which links up to Hendaye along the foothills of the Pyrenees.

Good Luck and Buen Camino

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
As Mike says, it's either the Tours route or the Voie Littorale. For the latter you could take a bus from Bordeaux to Hendaye. There is a CSJ guide for the Voie Littorale which I used last year.

Thanks for your replies. My husband and I have walked the Le Puy route and found it to be an amazing experience. Quite beautiful. We were hoping to walk through France on one of the routes before doing the Camino del Norte. Do you have recommendations for another route in France? Thanks.
Sharon

Hi Sharon, I only know of cycle paths between Bordeaux and Irun. Another alternative is to walk the beach which stretches from Mimizan Plage to Bayonne/Biarritz. I don't know if this is any help to you.

Would you mind sharing that information, @wayfarer ? My boyfriend and I want to cycle the Camino del Norte from Bordeaux.

Also a second question which you might know something about: We are in doubt as to whether it is possuble to do the Caino del Norte by cyclocross or if a mountainbike is absolutely necessary.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Welcome to the forum ngarrelts, I have driven the coastal route from Bordeaux many times including this year and I have seen this path many times including this year. I saw more pilgrims both walking and cycling the path this year than ever before, other than that I do not know where it starts but it goes at least as far as Biarritz.
@biarritzdon may have more info about it as he lives in the area. As for which type of bike, again @newfydog would give you better info on this. You could Private message them, they are more than helpful.
Hope this helps.
Buen Camino.

If anyone is reading this post, I hope I can get some help. Me and my wife are planning for our 5th long Camino walk, this time we planned to start in Bordeaux and first walk to Biarritz, then continue walking along the Camino del Norte and finish in Santiago. In Sweden where we live, it is hard to find hardly any pages with good information about this particular part of the trail. As mentioned, we are most interested in knowing / getting detailed information about the path between Boreaux and Biarritz. The rest of the trail we already have very good information and a guidebook in English.View media item 2640View media item 2618View media item 2614

If anyone is reading this post, I hope I can get some help. Me and my wife are planning for our 5th long Camino walk, this time we planned to start in Bordeaux and first walk to Biarritz, then continue walking along the Camino del Norte and finish in Santiago. In Sweden where we live, it is hard to find hardly any pages with good information about this particular part of the trail. As mentioned, we are most interested in knowing / getting detailed information about the path between Boreaux and Biarritz. The rest of the trail we already have very good information and a guidebook in English.View media item 2640View media item 2618View media item 2614
Check out the links in this earlier forum thread re walking from Bordeaux --
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/walking-from-bordeaux-to-santiago.10226/

For info re the Chemin de Saint Jacques in Bordeaux see
http://www.bordeauxcompostelle.com/
( Tap the British flag at the top of the web for an English translation)

In Bordeaux, their
Maison du Pelerin,
28 rue des Argentiérs,
can provide a Pilgrim Passport as well as maps, lists of accomodation, etc. They also offer an albergue.

Happy planning, Bonne route and Buen camino!

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Tnx..

I'll look at this clously.... Some of this pages we gott seems like leiding to SJJDP, while we are intrested in the path that to Biarritz and from there to Irun and on the Camin o del Norte