• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bordeaux to SJPDP

vanjohn

Time of past OR future Camino
2008 StJPP - Santiago, 2009 Sevilla - Finisterra, 2010 StJPP - Santiago, 2011 Sant Pere De Rodes-Monserrat-Puente La Reina, The Future ....sure only God knows!
Hi
Could somebody suggest possible time table and itinerary of the journey from Bordeaux airport to SJPDP the flight would be scheduled to land at 18.30 on Friday 8th of August? Flights only occur Monday and Friday.

John

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
You will have to go from Bordeaux to Bayonne and then get a bus or train from there.

I think you should check the RailEurope website. (Hope this links works for you.)
http://www.raileurope.co.uk/Default.aspx?tabid=948

(The rail station in Bordeaux is called Bordeaux St Jean so don't be confused!)

I had a look at it and it seems that there are 5 trains from Bordeaux to Bayonne that night.
The one at 20h56 arr 22.31 seems the most suitable.

BORDEAUX ST JEAN - 08/08/08 20:56 BAYONNE - 08/08/08 22:31 from £19

(There is an earlier train at 19.21 but you have to change at DAX and it only arrives at Bayonne at 22h30 anyway)

You will have to spend a night in Bayonne. Members of this forum have recommended the Hotel Paris Madrid which is run by Patrick and Sylvie Sorbois who speak English.

Walk out of the station and look left across the parking lot. There you will see the hotel very close to the train station - less than 50 meters.
With shower and toilet 34 € – No private shower or toilet 19 €

From Bayonne you can get either a train or bus to St Jean. You could get your credential at the pilgrim's office and start walking. Reserve a bed at Orisson which is about 8km up the hill.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I was also going to stop in Bordeaux but after much researching on the internet I've changed my mind and will go that little bit further on to Bayonne.
Main reason for this was that it appears the area around the train station in Bordeaux is the red light district and is run down and seedy. The hotels in the centre of town seemed to be over priced and grotty for what they were. I usually check out hotels on this site: http://www.tripadvisor.com

Have found them to be reasonably accurate in the past. As Sil says, the Hotel Madrid in Bayonne looks good, handy and has good reviews on Trip Advisor. I've ended up booking in there. Hope that helps and not confuses you more. Cheers, Jane

Sil
The website that you referenced would not take Irish credit cards! Discrimination, what do you think? :lol:
Thanks very much for the help.
John

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
We stayed in Bordeaux for 5 nights and absolutely fell in love with it. We stayed in Hotel Seze in the old part of Bordeaux. It was in the middle of everything and the tram was right behind it. I had read the same thing about the area around the train station but the night before our train we moved to a Hotel Atlantic right across from the train station. It didn't seem like a bad area to me but we were tired and didn't go out late that night. The woman at the train station said there was an albergue near there and even drew us a map but we were never able to find it. There is a modern hotel called Etap right across from the train station also that was 46 euro and had air conditioning but it was full when we were there. http://www.etaphotel.com/etaphotel/fich ... otel.shtml

marniedent said:
Can anyone suggest a reasonable place to stay in Bordeaux- preferably close to the train station?

I stayed at the Ibis hotel last summer, which is about 500 meters down from the train station. It cost around 75 euros a night. The breakfast was good, it has an internet terminal, and even a small bar in the lobby. You can get a credencial and stamp at the tourist office, which is located in the same building as the train station. And there's some pilgrim history in Bordeaux, particularly in the main square with the big arch, and at one of the cathedrals.

Janeh said:
appears the area around the train station in Bordeaux is the red light district and is run down and seedy.

As for this, I don't quite agree - I saw nothing "red light" about it except for a traffic signal here and there. I spent three nights at the Ibis hotel in this area, and I didn't find it to be particularly "seedy" either (although it's not ritzy, and there was a homeless person outside of the parking garage panhandling for change). I was able to walk all over the city from this location, and found various nice bars and restaurants, especially on the waterfront next to the river.

Janeh said:

Bayonne is a cool town - pretty, and with lots of nice shops, cafes, and restaurants. I spent a day/night there before pushing on to SJPDP. I stayed in the Hotel Loustau next to the river. A bit spendy, but nice, and close to the train station. There is a large sporting goods store there on the outskirts of the city where I did some last-minute shopping (bought a poncho and some fingerless gloves). :arrow:

Etap hotel, just in front of the train station, is a good place(48 euros) Hotel Ibis, near the train station is a good place also (75 euros) or: hotel Gambetta, in the city center(59 euros) very close to the town center stop of the Airport/Train station shuttle.
OR: the pilgrim albergue(5 euros)but not very convenient because outside of Bordeaux
phone 0556084618 - 4 rue blanqui Le Bouscat.
If you spend the night in Bordeaux, the first train next morning shoud be
Bordeaux saint jean 8h25/Bayonne 10h12 -bayonne 11h24 SJPP 12H37
More questions about Bordeaux philippe33

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
With all this input, I think we'll spend the night in Bayonne- not Bordeaux. That just leaves me wondering about buses from the Bordeaux airport to train station? Can those of you who have gone this route give me tips on this- ie frequency of buses, how much time to plan, etc. Our flight arrives Bordeaux at 16:20- looks to me like there's a direct train to Bayonne at 18:56. I would think that would work out well.

sillydoll said:
You will have to spend a night in Bayonne. Members of this forum have recommended the Hotel Paris Madrid which is run by Patrick and Sylvie Sorbois who speak English.

You could get your credential at the pilgrim's office and start walking. Reserve a bed at Orisson which is about 8km up the hill.

What do you think of walking all the way to Roscenvalles same day? We are planning to do that this year (arriving from Bayonne 8.58am).

kubapigora said:
What do you think of walking all the way to Roscenvalles same day? We are planning to do that this year (arriving from Bayonne 8.58am).

If you want to walk all the way from SJPDP to Roncesvalles, it's recommended that you leave SJPDP no later than 10AM, so that you don't get stuck in the mountains after dark - and that's when the weather is good. The pilgrim office is about a ten to fifteen minute walk from the train station, and by the time you get your food (the market is close to the train station), credencial stamp, briefing from the pilgrim office personnel, and your general bearings, you'll be pushing the 10AM cutoff.

However, keep in mind that it's a hard and long stage, especially for one's first day on the Way. I left with two folks before sunrise, and I didn't arrive in Roncesvalles until around 5PM or so. I had too much weight on my pack, and by the time I got there I was a hurting unit. Plus, you have to carry whatever food you plan to eat that day with you, so that adds to the weight.

Frankly, I would recommend staying in SJPDP for a day so that you don't have to rush. St. Jean is worth that amount of time to explore (neat shops, cafes, old church, and so on). Plus, you can get last-minute stuff taken care of, and also get into the spirit of the pilgrimage vs. rushing right into it. Whatever you chose to do, buen Camino! :arrow:

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks for your help.
Slightly different question- is there any chance to get a bed in St.Jean after 22.30? Maybe we could catch the last bus from Bayonne, so we would not need to stay there for a night?
Take care.
Kuba.

Espirit du Chemin would not allow anyone to check-in after 10pm, so I will try some other places.
Thanks for the link.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi marniedent
informations about Bordeaux Airport/train station shuttle (called JET' BUS)
http://www.bordeaux.aeroport.fr
departure hall B, from 7h45 to 22h45 every 45 minutes
16h45 / 17h30 / 18h15 distance 45 minutes, one way 7 euros
Buen camino, even if you do not stop in Bordeaux
philippe33

Just wondering how important it is to book train tickets in advance? We're travelling from Bordeaux to St. Jean on July 14th. Can I buy tickets at the station on the day or should I get them online in advance?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Just wondering how important it is to book train tickets in advance? We're travelling from Bordeaux to St. Jean on July 14th. Can I buy tickets at the station on the day or should I get them online in advance?

Sonas,

July 14 is the French national holiday, Bastille Day. All transport will be on either Sunday or holiday schedule. Many people will be traveling during that busy weekend. It would be best to book your tickets in advance. For times and prices see this French railroad site, voyages-SNCF.com

Bon voyage and Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

The rules are you need a reservation on TGV trains. You can get a reservation at the station. You can purchase tickets at the station. You don't need to get tickets or reservations in advance. The risk is there are no seats available (I gather on TER trains standing is permitted) and you have to wait for the next train.

Edit

As has been pointed out 14th is a holiday ... in which case you would be better off with tickets and reservations in advance and best off by delaying travel for another day.

Ah yes of course it's a holiday. It completely slipped my mind with all the planning! Then I think it's probably best to prebook the tickets as we definitely don't want to waste a day of travel. Thanks Margaret and whariwharangi!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I was also going to stop in Bordeaux but after much researching on the internet I've changed my mind and will go that little bit further on to Bayonne.
Main reason for this was that it appears the area around the train station in Bordeaux is the red light district and is run down and seedy. The hotels in the centre of town seemed to be over priced and grotty for what they were.

Just wanted to say I use Tripadvisor a lot and it's a great resource but dont be put off from Bordeaux - It's a great great city and if you had a day spare in your schedule I'd recommend a visit. I always drive in to the first tram stop so I dont know the station but I've never felt anywhere was seedy... give it a go... it's great! :)

We stayed in Bordeaux for 5 nights and absolutely fell in love with it. We stayed in Hotel Seze in the old part of Bordeaux. It was in the middle of everything and the tram was right behind it. I had read the same thing about the area around the train station but the night before our train we moved to a Hotel Atlantic right across from the train station. It didn't seem like a bad area to me but we were tired and didn't go out late that night. The woman at the train station said there was an albergue near there and even drew us a map but we were never able to find it. There is a modern hotel called Etap right across from the train station also that was 46 euro and had air conditioning but it was full when we were there. http://www.etaphotel.com/etaphotel/fich ... otel.shtml

She is a very grand old city is she not... Etap and Ibis are usually good across france so a good choice for budget travelling... glad you enjoyed your visit :)

When I got to Bordeaux (it was about 9pm and I didn't book any hotel) I spent a night in front of train station! Just put down my sleeping bag..:) Around me there were a lot of people who slept there as well. Locals were ok with it! And in the morning I took a train to Bayonne and then SJPdP.

Just advice for the ones who don't mind sleep this way!

BUEN CAMINO! ;)

Jan

Bordeaux is as grand as San Sebastian and Bilbao and as far as French cities are concerned much friendlier and more negotiable than Paris. It is worth a stay of at least a couple of days to enjoy what it has to offer. However, I don't think I'd follow Jan_89's example and sleep on the street. The area around the train station is rather sketchy.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
However, I don't think I'd follow Jan_89's example and sleep on the street. The area around the train station is rather sketchy.
I'm just telling that this way of spending the night is option as well. If you are ready and have booked a hotel or something, so there's nothing to deal with..:)

If you have an iPhone you can use. Captain train app ... It is very good ... It has all the french trains times etc ....Easy to get train to bayonne and then to st Jean ...

Agree completely about Bordeaux.
We walked from Mont St Michel and had 3 great nights in Notre Dame Hotel , great area and short trip by light rail.
Wonderful city and Bayonne is not on the same page.

When I got to Bordeaux (it was about 9pm and I didn't book any hotel) I spent a night in front of train station! Just put down my sleeping bag..:) Around me there were a lot of people who slept there as well. Locals were ok with it! And in the morning I took a train to Bayonne and then SJPdP.

Just advice for the ones who don't mind sleep this way!

BUEN CAMINO! ;)

Jan

I took the bus back to Bordeaux from Santiago on 02-Nov-2013. The bus unceremoniously dumps you at a roundabout about 6 minutes from the train station around 2:30 am. It was a cold chilly night. Trudging to the train station it was a big disappointment to find it locked for the night. So, I had to share a park bench with some drunks. Thankfully there were a few taxis idling nearby which gave a feeling of security. The station did open at 4:00 am to provide some shelter from the cold weather.

There is an excellent albergue at Gradignan in south west Bordeaux - about 9 km from the train station. It is located in the historic Cayac Priory. There is a striking modern sculpture of a resting pilgrim in front of the Priory to remind you of its long association with the Camino (pardon my water bottle!)003.JPG

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back