• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bordeaux to SJPdP

BeeHodge

Time of past OR future Camino
April 2018
Anyone ( I am sure this is pretty unlikely!) travelling to Bordeaux Airport on the 24/4/18? I am looking to share transport to SJPdP on the same day.

I was going to take the train to Bayonne and staying there a night, then take the first train out to St Jean the next day as I wont make it to the last train, but I would rather go straight to St jean and get started the next day, so if anyone is arriving at Bordeaux on this day, perhaps we can share the journey?

Bee

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I'm not, but if all else fails, take the train from Bordeaux to Bayonne, then get a taxi from there to SJDP. Its 100 euros from the Bayonne station, and takes about 40 minutes.

Buen Camino!

I'm not, but if all else fails, take the train from Bordeaux to Bayonne, then get a taxi from there to SJDP. Its 100 euros from the Bayonne station, and takes about 40 minutes.

Buen Camino!
Thanks Rick, I was hoping not to stay in Bayonne, but might just have to bite the bullet!! The first train our to SJPdP is at 7.42 and gets in at 8.40am, I am hoping that I will have emough time to get my passport stamped at the pilgrim office at St jean and start walking to Roncesvalle...

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The walk to Roncesvalles is 6 to 7 hours, more or less, depending on the route you take and your fitness. You will have time and daylight to make it. In fact, its likely you will have 50 or so traveling companions that time of year, all of whom are worried about rushing from the train to the pilgrim office to the trail. You will ALL make it, and you will all ask yourself in a few weeks what on earth you were thinking when you found yourself rushing. Have you made your reservation at Roncesvalles yet? You should!

Boy, you appear to be "Bee" as in "bee line". :)

Have you thought about a stop in Orisson? Another delay but it would take some of the pressure off you.

In early May 2015 I skipped the tourist office entirely because there was a long line there. (I didn't need to obtain a credential or have it stamped because I already had it having walked into SJdPP from France on the Le Puy route.) Others might comment about the time typically required to visit the pilgrim office.

As Rick M mentioned, I'd also suggest a reservation at Roncesvalles no matter what timetable you happen to decide on.

Buen Camino!

Tom

You will realized several days into doing your Camino that being in a rush is, well, frankly a waste of your time; which is an oxymoron of sorts. So depending on when you are arriving in Bordeaux, there are several regularly scheduled buses you can use to get to the train station, there are numerous trains to Bayonne and several nice hotels in Bayonne close to the station and/or again depending on your schedule several trains daily to SJPdP. Both towns are nice places to stay, have a meal, meet a few fellow pilgrims and get over your jet lag. As mentioned above Orisson is great starting point for the CF, reservations are required but it is a good introduction the hill climbing, the Camino culture and a night with 40 or so people who will be walking with, off and on, for the next 45 days. Slow and easy does it.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Boy, you appear to be "Bee" as in "bee line". :)

Have you thought about a stop in Orisson? Another delay but it would take some of the pressure off you.

In early May 2015 I skipped the tourist office entirely because there was a long line there. (I didn't need to obtain a credential or have it stamped because I already had it having walked into SJdPP from France on the Le Puy route.) Others might comment about the time typically required to visit the pilgrim office.

As Rick M mentioned, I'd also suggest a reservation at Roncesvalles no matter what timetable you happen to decide on.

Buen Camino!

Tom

Thanks Tom... I have my passport from St James Confraternity in London so I am all set, but I thought I need to get it stamped at St Jean so I will take the first train out of Bayonne.

Several have advised that I booked accommodation at Roncesvalles so I better do it!!

I did consider stopping at Orisson but that is quite a short walk and I wanted to get a few miles in. I was hoping to stay in the municipal pilgrim hostel which you can't book, but I am still researching whether it is worth risking not having accommodation, or book in advanced into private hostel.

I have my passport from St James Confraternity in London so I am all set, but I thought I need to get it stamped at St Jean so I will take the first train out of Bayonne.

You do not have to get your credencial stamped in St Jean. There is no formal registration system as such for the camino. Many people like to visit the pilgrim office there for their first sello and because it is a good source of general information, advice on the state of the route to Roncesvalles, and up-to-date accommodation lists for the CF. None of that is mandatory though. Your albergue or hotel will almost certainly stamp your credencial in any case. Up to you.

Several have advised that I booked accommodation at Roncesvalles so I better do it!!

I do not normally book places in advance but I might make an exception for Roncesvalles. A few months ago the number of available places there was reduced and there can be very large numbers of people walking in late April/early May. From SJPDP to Roncesvalles is a long and testing stage for most people and it would be very little fun scrabbling around for a bed in the Roncesvalles/Burguete area late in the day.

You do not have to get your credencial stamped in St Jean. There is no formal registration system as such for the camino. Many people like to visit the pilgrim office there for their first sello and because it is a good source of general information, advice on the state of the route to Roncesvalles, and up-to-date accommodation lists for the CF. None of that is mandatory though. Your albergue or hotel will almost certainly stamp your credencial in any case. Up to you.

I do not normally book places in advance but I might make an exception for Roncesvalles. A few months ago the number of available places there was reduced and there can be very large numbers of people walking in late April/early May. From SJPDP to Roncesvalles is a long and testing stage for most people and it would be very little fun scrabbling around for a bed in the Roncesvalles/Burguete area late in the day.

Thank you!! There is a website which I think might be quite useful..www.alberguederoncesvalles.com which I will check it our now.. much appreciated you help.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The walk to Orisson is not far but be warned it's a very steep 8km. Great advice 're. staying overnight at Orisson auberge.

The walk to Orisson is not far but be warned it's a very steep 8km. Great advice 're. staying overnight at Orisson auberge.
Thank you... I have booked the hostel in Roncesvalles, so I will have to make sure I make it! I am hoping that it will take me about 6 hours... is it feasible?

Just another thought... maybe see if there is a Blah Blah car (car sharing) going from Bordeaux to Bayonne? We live in France and my son has been using them regularly these last few months... they seem really popular? Might be worth a look?

I see you've already booked so this is perhaps not relevant but I have to agree with Fleur, dont be totally put off with the idea of Orrison... it is a great stop and the journey out of St Jean is steep. On the occasions I've walked that stage my husband has driven me to St Jean and I've started walking at mid-day...reaching Orisson at around 4:00. Each time I reserved in advance so I knew I could arrive later and have a bed. The communal meal is wonderful and very often many of the folks you meet continue with you to Santiago. It's a lovely place.

Either way... have a great walk! :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thank you... I have booked the hostel in Roncesvalles, so I will have to make sure I make it! I am hoping that it will take me about 6 hours... is it feasible?
Only you know your level of fitness. Weather can play a big factor. We had a beautiful June day walking to Orisson. Soon after we arrived there down came the rain and a torrential hail storm. The following day we walked to Roncesvalles, leaving in a mist, drizzle, then heavy freezing rain and strong winds which didn't make for pleasant or easy walking.

You will realized several days into doing your Camino that being in a rush is, well, frankly a waste of your time; which is an oxymoron of sorts. So depending on when you are arriving in Bordeaux, there are several regularly scheduled buses you can use to get to the train station, there are numerous trains to Bayonne and several nice hotels in Bayonne close to the station and/or again depending on your schedule several trains daily to SJPdP. Both towns are nice places to stay, have a meal, meet a few fellow pilgrims and get over your jet lag. As mentioned above Orisson is great starting point for the CF, reservations are required but it is a good introduction the hill climbing, the Camino culture and a night with 40 or so people who will be walking with, off and on, for the next 45 days. Slow and easy does it.

Thank you.. it is a pilgrimage and not a race... esp that I have retired and have plenty of time. It is worth being reminded.. I am going to stay in Bayonne for a night so if anyone has a good hostel to recommend, that will be very helpful. Thanks all

Bee

Just another thought... maybe see if there is a Blah Blah car (car sharing) going from Bordeaux to Bayonne? We live in France and my son has been using them regularly these last few months... they seem really popular? Might be worth a look?

I see you've already booked so this is perhaps not relevant but I have to agree with Fleur, dont be totally put off with the idea of Orrison... it is a great stop and the journey out of St Jean is steep. On the occasions I've walked that stage my husband has driven me to St Jean and I've started walking at mid-day...reaching Orisson at around 4:00. Each time I reserved in advance so I knew I could arrive later and have a bed. The communal meal is wonderful and very often many of the folks you meet continue with you to Santiago. It's a lovely place.

Either way... have a great walk! :)

Thank you... its all meant to be, I booked the hostel in Ronscesvalle but the website wont accept my payment details, and my husband thinks I should not rush...

So I might well take up everyone's advice .. thank you all!!

Bee

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank you.. it is a pilgrimage and not a race... esp that I have retired and have plenty of time. It is worth being reminded.. I am going to stay in Bayonne for a night so if anyone has a good hostel to recommend, that will be very helpful. Thanks all

Bee

Hotel Monte Carlo is good inexpensive choice located opposite the rr station. Nice cafe and resto also. Here is their web .

Buen camino!

Thank you... its all meant to be, I booked the hostel in Ronscesvalle but the website wont accept my payment details, and my husband thinks I should not rush...

So I might well take up everyone's advice .. thank you all!!

Bee

either way it will be a lovely walk... I hope to go back for my 4th visit one day :D:)

Bee, thanks for listening to some of us old timers. Ultreya!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
Hi - I've been waiting to book 2 June from Santiago dC to Madrid - finally the tickets are out! Funnily enough the luxury seats were cheaper than economy seats, so I took one.
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back