• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bordeaux to SJPP

SAW

Time of past OR future Camino
August/Sept (2019)
My wife and I plan on flying from CDG to Bordeaux and arriving at 12:30 and wondering the best way to get to SJPP.
1. It appears that there is a train from Bordeaux to Byonne and then on to SJPP. Not sure were to catch the train in relation to the airport. There is about an hour between flight arrival and the train departing.
2. Another option may be to take a taxi, or some other shuttle from the airport in Bordeaux to the train station in Byonne. Ideas?
3. We also considered taking the train from CDG to SJPP, but it appears to arrive later in SJPP than the above options.
Looking for suggestions from others that may have done either of these. We arrive at CDG at 06:00 on August 12 and this our 1st Camino.
Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
There is a bus outside the terminal that takes 45min to get to St Jean train station in Bordeaux. There is a ticket machine by the bus stop so bring some change with you.

It's a relatively easy journey I don't think you will have problems with those connections.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Bus 14 from the airport will take you to Bayonne (not Biarritz) where you can get the train to SJPdP. It is only €1 or 2 and you can pay on the bus. 1 hour may be tight to allow for waiting time for the bus then the journey to Bayonne.

Having done this journey on several occasions, knowing where the bus stops, the position of the correct platform and carrying a prepaid ticket. 1 hour between connections is too tight, this is only my opinion.

Uh....have you checked all the train schedules from Paris Montparnasse (not CDG) to Bayonne? There are usually four or five runs every day. It is the usual routine for travellers. I don't know your dates, but I can see, for example, a TGV leaving 9:52 and arriving 13:57.
And going from CDG to Montparnasse is easy-peasy, just take "Le bus Direct" from one point to the other. You will have the time even for a cafe au lait with croissants or a pain au chocolat.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
There is a train station in the CDG airport with service to Bayonne, but service is limited. There are more frequent services to Bayonne from the Montparnasse station.

If you are lucky with your flight schedule, you might find a direct train from CDG to Bayonne. Otherwise take the Metro or RER to Montparnasse station for more frequent options to Bayonne.

-Paul

Uh....have you checked all the train schedules from Paris Montparnasse (not CDG) to Bayonne? There are usually four or five runs every day. It is the usual routine for travellers. I don't know your dates, but I can see, for example, a TGV leaving 9:52 and arriving 13:57.
And going from CDG to Montparnasse is easy-peasy, just take "Le bus Direct" from one point to the other. You will have the time even for a cafe au lait with croissants or a pain au chocolat.
We arrive at 06:00 on August 12, on Delta and it appears terminal #2. Can we catch the "Le bus Direct" there to Montparnasse? Do we buy our tickets in advance or at the train station? How along does it take to get to Montparnasse. We originally planned to take EasyJet from CDG to Biarritz but after seeing all the terrible reviews, the train appears to be a more reliable option. This is our 1st trip to his area, and doing the Camino so we have a lot of questions. Sorry. The croissants sound great.

Pity you're in such a hurry to leave bordeaux..I've walked from mont st michel through bordeaux and the forests
Of landes a beatiful unspoiled,un crowded route...why not walk from there?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
We arrive at 06:00 on August 12, on Delta and it appears terminal #2. Can we catch the "Le bus Direct" there to Montparnasse? Do we buy our tickets in advance or at the train station? How along does it take to get to Montparnasse. We originally planned to take EasyJet from CDG to Biarritz but after seeing all the terrible reviews, the train appears to be a more reliable option. This is our 1st trip to his area, and doing the Camino so we have a lot of questions. Sorry. The croissants sound great.
There is another current thread "Getting to SJPDP from the US" on the Forum, it has lots of details and discussion about the connection from CDG to Montparnasse and Bayonne.

Last edited:
As you can suppose, you are not the first forum member that need to go from CDG to Gare Montparnasse.
Follow @biarritzdon advice for a recent thread.
Basically, if you are time pressed, in a tight budget or like to travel as a true Parisian, go the train (about 50 minutes to Montparnasse, a conexion with the metro required at Saint Michel).
Le Bus Direct is a bit more expensive, but convenient: leaves every 30 minutes, you just board at CDG and leave at Montparnasse, no need to carry your backpack, deal with ticket machines or negotiate the maze of metro tunnels; it seems the time currently is about 1 1/2 hs. to Montparnasse, but you can enjoy the sights.
On the other side, you may choose a more relaxed option, and spend a day with your wife in Paris...you know, this is a wonderful and romantic city. That will help with the jet lag, too....

Last edited:
My wife and I plan on flying from CDG to Bordeaux and arriving at 12:30 and wondering the best way to get to SJPP.
1. It appears that there is a train from Bordeaux to Byonne and then on to SJPP. Not sure were to catch the train in relation to the airport. There is about an hour between flight arrival and the train departing.
2. Another option may be to take a taxi, or some other shuttle from the airport in Bordeaux to the train station in Byonne. Ideas?
3. We also considered taking the train from CDG to SJPP, but it appears to arrive later in SJPP than the above options.
Looking for suggestions from others that may have done either of these. We arrive at CDG at 06:00 on August 12 and this our 1st Camino.
Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
I think you said you are flying into CDG 6am then fly to Bordeaux arriving 12:30pm correct? Download Rome2Rio app and enter Bordeaux to Saint Jean Pied de Port. There are several trains & connections you can choose. I flew into Bordeaux & took the train the next day by choice (love Bordeaux) but could have made connections straight thru. 1hr is not enough time. Allow 2 hrs. The chef who makes the sandwiches at the Bordeaux train station is great, btw. The schedule below is fir May There are more trains for your Aug 12th date Register on Rome2Rio & you can purchase both legs of your train ride from the app That’s what I did in 2017 Since there are two of you & you want the earliest train to Bayonne possibke, I would taxi to the Gare Allow 2 hrs & buy your tickets now 28CDA9DE-51D7-4F91-8BBE-023ACA603932.png

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The map showing Biarritz airport proximity to Bayonne train to SJPdP. 56705

Bayonne Gare train line56706 to SJPdP

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.