• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

bordeaux to SJPP

accordeon/21

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances May 2019, September 2021, May 2022
What is the best way to get from Bordeaux City to St Jean Pied De Port.
We will be traveling on April 21st. Thank you

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi @accordeon/21, welcome to the forum. I see this is your first post.

I looked at this option a while ago, but didn't actually do it. Flying to Biarritz was an easier option.

From Bordeaux you can get a train to Bayonne, then one to Saint Jean Pied de Port. Depending on your flight times, this might require an overnight stop in Bayonne.

You can search for French train times here: https://www.sncf-connect.com/app/en-en/home/search
https://www.rome2rio.com might also help you find other options.

Happy planning and Buen Camino!

Welcome to the forum. What Nuala said, train to Bayonne the on to SJPP.
If you are flying from Ireland the flight to Biarritz would be a better option.
Buen Camino.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The best way would be to walk there on the Tours Way which goes through that city, and leads directly to SJPP.

If you wind up taking the train to Bayonne and then on to SJdPP, the tram in town goes out to the railroad station.

The second best option IMO would be to get transport to Saint-Palais (there's a cheap local bus from Biarritz), then walk from there to SJPP. So at least some training for the legs before confronting the mountain. But still better for that purpose to walk from Bordeaux, not excluding the advantages of hiking through wine country.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
On our 2021 and 2022 Caminos we flew from Dublin to Biarritz and Express Bourricot to SJPP.
Next year we are flying direct from Cork to Bourdeaux as this is our home city. We will arrive in Bourdeaux on Weds. 19th April and start walking from SJPP on Sat 22nd so plenty of time. Thanks for all the options.

If you are taking the train from Bordeaux City, make sure you tell the ticket lady that you are going to St Jean Pied De Port. If you just said St Jean, she might assume and give you a ticket to "St Jean de Luz" which is a very popular vacation spot. That was what happened to my pilgrim friend couple years ago! Luckily she looked at the ticket and went back the next day to buy a new ticket!!
Bordeaux is a very pretty city and there is an albergue in the old town which is also walking distance to Tourist Office and half an hour walk to the train station.
Buen Camino

The best way would be to walk there on the Tours Way which goes through that city, and leads directly to SJPP.

In 2019 I flew into Bordeaux and caught a train to Dax, where I stayed in a little volunteer-managed Gite d'Etape (albergue). Three days to walk from there to SJPdP via Sorde l'Abbaye and St Palais, along the Tours route. It meant my legs were fully tuned up before the Pyrenees.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I caught a train from Bordeaux to Bayonne but had missed the connecting train to StJPP. Instead I shared a taxi to StJPP with a couple of other pilgrims that I met at Bayonne station. Not the cheapest option but certainly cheaper than an extra night in Bayonne.

On our 2021 and 2022 Caminos we flew from Dublin to Biarritz and Express Bourricot to SJPP.
Next year we are flying direct from Cork to Bourdeaux as this is our home city. We will arrive in Bourdeaux on Weds. 19th April and start walking from SJPP on Sat 22nd so plenty of time. Thanks for all the options.
I looked at this again and remembered that Alsa International/Blablabus has some routes in France. And sure enough, there's one between Bordeaux and Bayonne.

You can check the options here closer to your arrival date.
They'll include ride-shares (blablacar), which might also be worth considering.

Hope this helps! Nuala

Most read last week in this forum

I am 82 years old. I have walked all but 250k of the Camino Frances alone, carrying my pack and staying in communal aubergues in 2017 and 18 and loving it! I am now on a mission to walk the final...
Can someone please confirm that if you fly with Ryanair from SDC to Madrid, that you will arrive at the Madrid-Barajas International airport? Such a simple question, yet incredibly frustrating...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, I'm searching for any transportation ways to to get to sjpp from Biarritz. Would anyone let me know how to get to? I would like taking bus or train. Thank you.
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
Hi All, My girlfriend and I are planning to do the Camino Primitivo. I'll be honest here; I'm not entirely sure how far we'll get, but Caminoways says that the entire route can be done in 15...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back