• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Borders between Portugal and Spain opens on May 1st

camino.ninja

RIP 2022
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 5 6,16,17,18,19,20
Primiti+Salvador 19
Portug. 17,18,20
Catalan 17
Norte 17
Plata 18
UPDATED:

Borders between Spain and Portugal are open and there are no border control. Galicia still have restrictions, but Tui in Spain is full of portuguese people today. Also pilgrims.

You still have to check if you can get to Portugal by flight and all that. That is still a little unclear to me.
But one thing is for sure. If you are allowed to get there. The Cominhos Português are open and hospitable!

You can find all the information about open and closed places in the Camino Ninja App thanks to the trail-angels Carla from Albergue de Peregrinos do Mosteiro de Vairão and Mónica from Ideas Peregrinas. So, please stop by and say thanks when you are there!

Open places can also be seen for portugal on:
https://albergueperegrinosporto.pt/theway
And the Spanish part from Tui to Santiago on Camino Portugues:
https://ideas-peregrinas.com/en/camino/
Bom Caminho / Buen Camino

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Does this mean that (given nothing changes within the next month), pilgrims walking from Portugal into Spain in June on the Camino Portugues will be allowed to pass? Will they be required to show a negative COVID-19 test on entry to Spain as they would have had to if they had arrived by air? Thanks!

Does this mean that (given nothing changes within the next month), pilgrims walking from Portugal into Spain in June on the Camino Portugues will be allowed to pass? Will they be required to show a negative COVID-19 test on entry to Spain as they would have had to if they had arrived by air? Thanks!

Well Portuguese pilgrims are crossing the border as we speak. There is no border control anymore. And a lot of Portuguese tourists in the border cities of Spain right now.

And depending on the country you come from, you might actually be able to go to Portugal right now:
https://www.visitportugal.com/en/content/covid-19-measures-implemented-portugal

So it is all about the incident rate. Ireland, Finland, Iceland and Malta are allowed to go to Portugal with no restrictions right now.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Normally, the "rules" should be that if a region is in lockdown but it has an internal international border and the countries on both sides of it are in the EU/Schengen Area, then crossing that border is legal regardless the lockdown - though it can be conditioned by the so-called 30 kilometre rule, where unrestricted border crossing can be reserved to those living within 30 kilometres of the border ; but then that would need to be implemented by the Spanish government, but AFAIK it hasn't been for the Portuguese border.

Of course these Covid rules are confusing for everyone, including to those either in favour of or opposed to the reopenings, but at the very least the border is open in the Spain to Portugal direction, and will be open in both directions in a less confusing manner after May 9th.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Normally, the "rules" should be that if a region is in lockdown but it has an internal international border and the countries on both sides of it are in the EU/Schengen Area, then crossing that border is legal regardless the lockdown - though it can be conditioned by the so-called 30 kilometre rule, where unrestricted border crossing can be reserved to those living within 30 kilometres of the border ; but then that would need to be implemented by the Spanish government, but AFAIK it hasn't been for the Portuguese border.

Of course these Covid rules are confusing for everyone, including to those either in favour of or opposed to the reopenings, but at the very least the border is open in the Spain to Portugal direction, and will be open in both directions in a less confusing manner after May 9th.

The border is open in both directions. There is no border control.

But there have been examples where they try to thread to give fines.

After the Spanish State of Alarm ends this might continue. It is a regional political fight. Most likely not legal.

This is the official word from the Spanish side.
That's actually an official Spanish statement on the current state of the Portuguese restrictions on entry into Portugal ; but it's useful, thank you, as it would seem to confirm the end of the Portuguese restrictions on May 16th, which has been the date for it I've seen most frequently suggested in the rumours.

Although Portugal to Spain Caminos for those currently in Portugal won't have to wait that long.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Yes, I thought it was curious that the Spanish statement was not explicitly restricting entry into Spain, but rather limiting movement from Spain into Portugal. I didn't actually click on the link and read the law, though.

That's actually an official Spanish statement on the current state of the Portuguese restrictions on entry into Portugal ; but it's useful, thank you, as it would seem to confirm the end of the Portuguese restrictions on May 16th, which has been the date for it I've seen most frequently suggested in the rumours.

Although Portugal to Spain Caminos for those currently in Portugal won't have to wait that long.

It just got extended to May 16th. It might get exteded further than that.

This is the official word from the Spanish side. Until May 16th, officially they are still only permitting essential travel "from Spain to Portugal".

So you might end up getting stuck in Spain, if you plan to go back to Porto to get a flight home from there.

This law would only make sense if it was only applied to Spanish residents.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Oh! I just read your first sentence more carefully and I see what you mean: Spain is just repeating what the Portuguese have said about entry into Portugal. Got it. 👍

Oh! I just read your first sentence more carefully and I see what you mean: Spain is just repeating what the Portuguese have said about entry into Portugal. Got it. 👍

Not completely accurate. Portugal distinct from incidence numbers over the past 14 days, as is the new EU standard. People from Iceland, Ireland, Finland and Malta can fly to Portugal without restrictions. People from other EU or Schengen countries might have more restrictions, like only essential travel being allowed. Or for some even 14 days quarantine required.

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back