• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bored walking

simeon

Time of past OR future Camino
Lots done and more to do!
I done the CF and CP both in weekly stages and absolutely loved them and always wanted to continue on rather than come home. From other posts I read on the forum it seems that a lot of people only seem to be getting into their stride on day seven when their bodies have adjusted or given up complaining.This is usually when I would normally be heading home. During the last while I have been doing plenty of walking locally 10 to 20k most days. I am now finding that the walking is starting to become a bit boring. I had been hoping to do a full 30 day Camino later in the year but now am wondering will I just become bored with it at some stage? Just wondering do people have this experience or is it just another part the journey?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The longer you walk, the more of the daily noise drops away and the more you are left alone with your deeper thoughts. For some people that's very healthy, refreshing and healing. For others it's horrifying torture! Some call this "boredom," and they grab for whatever distraction or "entertainment" they can get their hands on, thus annulling the therapeutic silence that makes the Way famous.
This "boredom" might strike on the Camino, just as it strikes at home. When you feel "bored," recognize it as just a feeling. Keep walking. It will pass. The good stuff comes soon after, or so I have found... it is not always easy, but it's incredibly worthwhile.
And once you've learned to move past it, you never have to be bored again.

I done the CF and CP both in weekly stages and absolutely loved them and always wanted to continue on rather than come home. From other posts I read on the forum it seems that a lot of people only seem to be getting into their stride on day seven when their bodies have adjusted or given up complaining.This is usually when I would normally be heading home. During the last while I have been doing plenty of walking locally 10 to 20k most days. I am now finding that the walking is starting to become a bit boring. I had been hoping to do a full 30 day Camino later in the year but now am wondering will I just become bored with it at some stage? Just wondering do people have this experience or is it just another part the journey?
It used to take me 4 or so days to get into the "groove" of the CF - so Estella onwards I suppose. I've never been one of extensive training prior to a Camino, indeed it's been an effort over the past year to psych myself up to do any kind of walking - Virtual Caminos included - just because there was an element of 'sameness' in the walks.
The main thing, for me at least, is that on the Real Thing you have people to mix with, places to go, restaurants to revisit and memories to relive.
Bored? Nah!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I walk 4-6 weeks at a time on the Caminos, and am never bored, although I may have a few monotonous moments occasionally.
That said, unfortunately when I walk my local "rail to trail" located a few blocks from my home, I am often bored. I do it anyway for exercise and to be out in nature.
I totally relate to what @simeon is saying about his local walks...but the Camino stimulates all of my senses in new and interesting ways.

Trust me…. Walking where I live, round and round in circles on the same “green belts” is stultifying and I now have to have something else going on (usually listening to lectures or audiobooks) in order to tolerate it, but I never feel that way on camino. For one thing the scenery keeps changing, and even the parts that repeat (industrial areas approaching and leaving the cities, for example) are only temporary. From oceans of sunflowers and canola fields to undulating mountains, from estuaries to high ground, coastal surf…. From high modernism to the Roman Empire… it awakens me every 5 km. And the people, the people are always different, but comfortingly welcoming and so shockingly and gently generous…
I spend long months between walks, even years, in which I feel “homesick” for the road.
But I do not find walking where I am fascinating.
I recently followed a camino vlogger as he tried his hand at 500 miles on the Appalachian Trail… and I don’t think I could have done 100 miles. When the greatest architecture you can find is a fire tower, and the most ”interesting” town is a simulacrum for some strange version of Bavaria…
Ugh.
In other words, our mileage and enjoyment varies depending on context.
I still walk about 7-10. Most days, but I’d never make 150 K per week going in circles here…

I walk, locally, 5 - 10 miles a day. My local trails are as familiar to me as the back-of-my-hand and my Beloved's smile. They're rarely boring. When my feet know where they are going my mind has more time to focus on the flora and fauna, the ripeness of the fruit or the tenderness of the current forageable greens. I don't really consider the walking as a walk. It's an opportunity to discover the new within the known, and to improvise a recipe out of what the world has granted me.

A long walk is a long walk. 30 - 40 days of continuous walking within an ever changing landscape; a different place to lay my head every night; a different cuisine and language every week. Little time to familiarise myself with anything - I approach, I see, I walk on.

or is it just another part the journey?
Perhaps it is. There are those who claim the Meseta is boring, even some who've never walked it: there are those who state that that long stretch of car showrooms and furniture stores on the way into Burgos is boring. I've even heard it suggested that a constant diet of Insalada, Lomo & Flan is boring. Each to their own ;)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
From oceans of sunflowers and canola fields to undulating mountains, from estuaries to high ground, coastal surf…. From high modernism to the Roman Empire… it awakens me every 5 km. And the people, the people are always different, but comfortingly welcoming and so shockingly and gently generous…
Poetically said and it speaks for me.
my mind has more time to focus on the flora and fauna, the ripeness of the fruit or the tenderness of the current forageable greens
My trail is nothing like this unless I take off in the car for other places...lucky you.

I've even heard it suggested that a constant diet of Insalada, Lomo & Flan is boring
Oh yes, those must be the monotomous moments of which I speak.😉

We are snails on the camino. Often, we walk late Winter or Fall when we may only see 10 pilgrims pass us the entire day and see one or two at our accommodations. There is little blossoming vegetation during that time, occasionally snow peaks, snails, spiderwebs, a wolf or boar and a few dogs trying to keep warm.

After a day or so, I get into a quiet slow rhythm, occasionally noticing a creature or pausing to breathe in the beauty of a sunrise or the still present early morning constellations. But my feet seem to speak a silent prayer, a mantra, as they move along. So no...I am not bored.... I am without much conscious mental activity for periods of time.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
We walk about 1000 miles a year...at home, on holiday, on Camino and to be honest with you, I would be bored senseless without listening to music on my ipod, especially on the same- old, same - old walks at home.
Indeed, it gives me a spring in my step!
Then depending on where we are it gets switched on and off eg. On difficult terrain requiring concentration
it does not stop me listening to the birds or appreciating the scenery around me, and I will switch it off when chatting to someone ....”himself” is a patient man as I will talk to anyone and everyone ..especially on the Camino
so, where we go, the iPod goes!

Thank you all for your replies. Some great food for thought there.

I am not bored.... I am without much conscious mental activity for periods of time.

This spoke to me. Maybe it's getting past the constant consciousness and incesscent thinking that needs to happen. Maybe I am only getting to the start of that stage and that is what I am identifying as boredom. I need to open my mind more to this. As many of your posts, or signposts have shown me. Thank you.

Bored on the Camino? Gosh. I can't imagine that, even after five times on the Francés and once on the Inglés (I MUST do this again - once is just not enough). There is so much to see and ponder and feel and hear - especially, seemingly small things. Stop once in a while to listen - to the wind, the birds, even the trucks that sound a greeting with a wave of the hand out the window, and turn around to look at where you have come from - a few minutes ago, a day or two ago (from Ponferrada, for example, at the layers of different shades of purple mountains), do it in different seasons... alone, with others... I feel I am always a different person than I was a year ago or a few days ago... but that's just me...
Buen Camino!

I am walking in preparation too and I get bored with my city walking. For me, it is the walking in a know area which I am sure will be very different from walking in an unknown country on a Camino. I am going to start going out to the mountains to walk to liven up my local walks.

Here's a song for when the monotony of putting one foot in front of the other becomes overwhemling:
Oh, when the sun beats down
And burns the tar up on the roof
And your shoes get so hot
You wish your tired feet were fireproof
Under the bored walk
Down by the sea
On a blanket with my baby
Is where I'll be

Only if you allow yourself to become bored...
;)
I wish it were that easy for me locally since it was what the OP implied on his local walks...bored. If it were that simple, maybe I would never have been "driven" to go on the Camino in the first place.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

If you are walking 10-20k per day, you are probably doing the same routes over and over again. I can understand that becoming boring. Walking a camino will usually provide a different natural environment everyday. That said, there have been days when I wondered what I was doing out there.

The Camino, to me, has become an annual introspective journey. It is a beautiful escape for all the daily noise in life. Very much like the movie "Groundhog Day" you repeat a daily walk with the opportunity to learn something about yourself. The key is what you do with that/those learnings moving forward.

Ultreya,
Joe

Last edited:
Here's a song for when the monotony of putting one foot in front of the other becomes overwhemling:
Oh, when the sun beats down

I don't think this song will work for me
You must be too young!

It happens to be on my playlist of songs from my youth (as well as later) which is mainly used on the camino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I too was worried that I’d get bored with the walking. I shouldn’t have worried. The walking became like meditation.
Exactly so.

When I first started training years ago, I had a lot of things distracting me as I worried about my shoes, the weather, the pack, the flight connection, etc, etc. Over time, on familiar ground, the mind empties of worries and you become both present in the moment, and completely without cares. My "Daily" 12K loop is not only good for physical health, but provides time for what amounts to meditation. I'm lucky that I have a woodland trail with minimal road walking for my daily meditation, but I'm not sure that the surroundings would make much of a difference.

This is why I suspect most walkers dislike the navigating through bigger towns and cities: you are pulled out of the "trance" and have to think about where you are going. Give me a trail through a forest or one through a farmer's field with nothing else in sight any day. For the OP, another way of looking at it is that boredom is the point!

Yes I can relate to feeling bored with same home city river walks. There are others to explore however they involve travelling longer distances.
Ones mindset is very different at home versus being in Europe ... where everything is different.
A lot of us may be looking forward to 'changing our scenes' now.
I think 30 days will be perfect if it is a Camino :)

Maybe it's getting past the constant consciousness and incesscent thinking that needs to happen.
Maybe I am only getting to the start of that stage and that is what I am identifying as boredom
I think you're onto something @simeon !
Pulling the thread of this a bit to add that boredom is not inherent in sense objects but in the minds that receive and process them. So one person's 'Oh, boring!' can be another's delight. Places are not boring; we take them to be so.

The simplicity of the feet on earth is boring when we take feet and earth as given. But imagine suddenly not being able to walk at all, when a single step would be miraculous. We are bored when we take the vividness of each moment for granted, and want something 'more interesting.'
The antidote is attentiveness.

Hang with boredom for a while without distracting yourself and a whole new world opens up, as @Rebekah Scott said.

wish it were that easy for me
And everyone. It's incredibly simple but not easy.
But boredom is not a failing. It's just a habit of tuning out. And habits can be changed.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
What i did to break some of the journey prior to leaving home factor in some site visits if you want to feel the History around Napoleon, El Cid and other popular historical figures or you could experience handling a donkey or cycle part of the way once you factor in a couple of two doos then meeting the friendly spanish people on route who leave out fruit for a small donation and getting your passport stamped have a spa day and enjoy your walk Buen Camino

Get into the NOW
i can walk for 8 hours without stoping and am never bored
i get bored stopping for coffee and how many ways can you answer the question ‘where are you from ??
after 27 caminos i use my native tonge Gaeilge or Irish
bored no
bored listening to people going on about COVID

I did the CF from SJPDP in 2017, walking 28 days and resting 4 days. I didn't really get bored, but I also wasn't super sad when it ended (I really enjoyed it, but I was ready for some relaxing near the beach afterwards). I found for me the rest days were really welcome, and gave me a day to relax, sometimes heal, and often to treat myself to a nice non-pilgrim meal with extended conversions. I also met loads of great people on the camino, but never was sad taking a rest day and watching them go, since I knew it would basically mean I'd get to meet a new group for the next stages (and I've kept in touch with most people I met in various groups via Facebook and what-not). I even had one group of hardcore drinkers that was fun to walk with for a few days, but took a strategic rest day to let them pass so I could get away from the endless debauchery (I like a late beer-filled night as much as the next person, but couldn't do it day after day!)

The longest stretch I did without a rest-day was basically Leon to Santiago in one go. That wasn't bad, but I prefer doing 7 days or so and then taking a day off just to get my bearings. There are many great towns/cities on the route, so my advice is just to treat yourself with a day off to mix up the people, give your body a break, go for some nice meals etc - that really helped me. I found the day before my rest day I was starting to get a bit tired of walking day after day, but by the end of the rest day I was itching to get going again.

I actually was passed by a lot of fit groups near the start of the Camino (I wasn't super fit, nor was I trail hardy), and ended up catching up with them before Santiago (despite me taking rest days and most of them not) - I think they had pushed themselves and gotten injuries, whereas I stayed mostly injury-free thanks to resting a bit.

Last edited:

€46,-
Walking a Camino is very different from walking at home. Always something new and it is just so exciting!! You will not be bored.

I would say that every km is different, and with each new village, town and city you reach, they all have something different. The pilgrims you meet and sometimes walk with add to each and every day. Give it a go for the full 30/35 days
Trust me you will not be bored at all.
Buen Camino

Trust me…. Walking where I live, round and round in circles on the same “green belts” is stultifying and I now have to have something else going on (usually listening to lectures or audiobooks) in order to tolerate it, but I never feel that way on camino. For one thing the scenery keeps changing, and even the parts that repeat (industrial areas approaching and leaving the cities, for example) are only temporary. From oceans of sunflowers and canola fields to undulating mountains, from estuaries to high ground, coastal surf…. From high modernism to the Roman Empire… it awakens me every 5 km. And the people, the people are always different, but comfortingly welcoming and so shockingly and gently generous…
I spend long months between walks, even years, in which I feel “homesick” for the road.
But I do not find walking where I am fascinating.
I recently followed a camino vlogger as he tried his hand at 500 miles on the Appalachian Trail… and I don’t think I could have done 100 miles. When the greatest architecture you can find is a fire tower, and the most ”interesting” town is a simulacrum for some strange version of Bavaria…
Ugh.
In other words, our mileage and enjoyment varies depending on context.
I still walk about 7-10. Most days, but I’d never make 150 K per week going in circles here…
I too had great expectations for Efren's AT! So sad he got "bored" & quit, especially since he walked the Via Francigena for three months. But, his experience was informative none the less.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I too had great expectations for Efren's AT! So sad he got "bored" & quit, especially since he walked the Via Francigena for three months. But, his experience was informative none the less.
I watch Efren's videos, too, and wondered all along if he really would complete the AT. My son walked half of it several years ago and found it quite monotonous, but plugged on for 1000 miles anyway. He much preferred the JMT and Colorado Trail. I really like Efren's personality, but I was rather bored as the daily videos were nearly all the same.

When his dog died (back at home), it seemed to take the wind out of his sails. The call to be at home with his family was stronger than his desire to be away from them for another 5 months.

I'm not sure I have much to add to all of the different perspectives found here, but keeping my mouth shut has never been my forte.

People have said that every km is different, so you have the changing landscape to keep you entertained. That's not true and it's true. The complaints often about the meseta and how its endless sameness does strange things to the mind and sense of time might lead one to believe it is not true, as might our difficulty in remembering (or figuring out) which tiny village an event happened in - or we happen to be in. On the other hand, I think tincatinker has the right of it. There really is endless variety even in the same type of environment if we look closely enough with enough attention.

Which will it be for you? I think some key information missing in your original post is key to trying to answer the question for you.

You wrote:
I done the CF and CP both in weekly stages and absolutely loved them and always wanted to continue on rather than come home. From other posts I read on the forum it seems that a lot of people only seem to be getting into their stride on day seven when their bodies have adjusted or given up complaining.This is usually when I would normally be heading home. During the last while I have been doing plenty of walking locally 10 to 20k most days. I am now finding that the walking is starting to become a bit boring.

So my question is "What was it about the CF and CP that you loved and are not now finding in your local walks, leading them to be 'boring'?". Was it really the complaints of your body that you loved and which prevented it from being boring? I suspect not. If anything, they are likely to have distracted you somewhat from what you truly loved about your caminos. Absent those complaints, you will be better able to pay attention to and appreciate what the camino has to offer.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I walk, locally, 5 - 10 miles a day. My local trails are as familiar to me as the back-of-my-hand and my Beloved's smile. They're rarely boring. When my feet know where they are going my mind has more time to focus on the flora and fauna, the ripeness of the fruit or the tenderness of the current forageable greens. I don't really consider the walking as a walk. It's an opportunity to discover the new within the known, and to improvise a recipe out of what the world has granted me.

A long walk is a long walk. 30 - 40 days of continuous walking within an ever changing landscape; a different place to lay my head every night; a different cuisine and language every week. Little time to familiarise myself with anything - I approach, I see, I walk on.

Perhaps it is. There are those who claim the Meseta is boring, even some who've never walked it: there are those who state that that long stretch of car showrooms and furniture stores on the way into Burgos is boring. I've even heard it suggested that a constant diet of Insalada, Lomo & Flan is boring. Each to their own ;)
The wonder of the Meseta for me is that feeling of letting go and the sound of gravel under my feet and the breath I take and finally there is a nothingness where all the $h1t in my brain drips out and peace replaces it.

I always find that a couple of times per Camino, I get that "why the heck am I doing this" and I get a little bored. i just keep walking and I run into something or someone that takes my mind off that feeling pretty quickly. It's pretty normal that you get bored with what you are doing at some point, no matter what. But, that said, I do agree with the posts saying that you hit your stride after a week or so. I find that for the first week or two, I hurt, get bored and restless. Then for the next month or so, I feel really great having let go of the day to day thoughts. After that, you do start to think about getting back home. Yep, you heard it right. Two months. That's what I like to do (and after a good life working, retirement and a loving and understanding wife supports that desire).

Bored? Never. Every day is different, a new challenge, renewed expectatives, the anticipation of a new place to rest, other people to meet.
Bad days? Yes, they arrive. The weather is awful, my knee is nagging me again, I lost the path and walked many miles along a highroad, I shared my diner with an annoying and talkative character, and so. I feel a bit demoralized and unhappy.
I know this things will happen, sooner or later; I take them as they come, try to keep some emotional distance, and hope for a better day, next morning.

Last edited:
I too was happily following Efren's journey and sad it didn't continue, but will wait for his next adventure.

Home and the Camino - Black and white, two totally different, opposite sides of a coin.
Home walking v 30/40 day Camino - two totally different experiences. Like opposite sides of a coin but also related. Boredom is an emotion or a mood and is transient. I would say you will experience Boredom at some stage and that it would be surprising if you did not. You will experience highs and lows. That's life. That's the Camino. Best wishes for your decision.

In my younger years I spent a few years in the Army. I still remember some of the cadence songs we sang in basic training while marching. I found my self singing those songs again on the Camino at times. Wondering if Roman troops sang similar on those dull sections. One problem, I felt guilty, many of those tunes are not even close to being politically acceptable.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I just remember Fats Waller nearly singing “Walking to Santiago” (it scans perfectly). Gets a bit monotonous after the first 300 miles but it’ll get you there without needing to use some of the “salty” songs in the repertoire 😉

This time I'm walkin' to New Orleans Santiago
I'm walkin' to New Orleans Santiago
I'm going to need two pair of shoes
When I get through walkin' me blues
When I get back to New Orleans
I've got my suitcase in my hand
Now, ain't that a shame
I'm leavin' here today
Yes, I'm goin' back home to stay
Yes, I'm walkin' to New Orleans
You used to be my honey
Till you spent all my money
No use for you to cry
I'll see you bye and bye
'Cause I'm walkin' to New Orleans
I've got no time for talkin'
I've got to keep on walkin'
New Orleans is my home
That's the reason while I'm gone
I'm walkin' to New Orleans

Well, it does for me anyway ;)

Bored? Never. Every day is different, a new challenge, renewed expectatives, the anticipation of a new place to rest, other people to meet.
Bad days? Yes, they arrive. The weather is awful, my knee is nagging me again, I lost the path and walked many miles along a highroad, I shared my diner with an annoying and talkative character, and so. I feel a bit demoralized and unhappy.
I know this things will happen, sooner or later; I take them as they come, try to keep some emotional distance, and hope for a better day, next morning.
Rather like life?

And it is boring walking in your home territory if it is for training. On the Camino every corner you turn offers something new. That is the wonder and beauty of it. I very much doubt you will get bored walking. The movement of feet and legs is not the Camino. The people, culture and vistas are the Camino.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
And it is boring walking in your home territory if it is for training. On the Camino every corner you turn offers something new. That is the wonder and beauty of it. I very much doubt you will get bored walking. The movement of feet and legs is not the Camino. The people, culture and vistas are the Camino.
Exactly.
Just having a destination makes walking more interesting. I have several loops that I do at home for exercise - I pop my earbuds in and listen to podcasts, some of which are Spanish learning podcasts, so I'm training my body and my mind for the Camino!

in your original post is key to trying to answer the question for you.

I just think from all your replies now that a week is just not enough for me now. I can see that I am missing so much more from your replies. I need ,no , must do a 30 day one next time.

there is a nothingness where all the $h1t in my brain drips out and peace replaces it.

This is probably what the boring feeling is the start off. I think I need to stick with it for longer rather than distracting myself and see where it leads

You will experience highs and lows. That's life. T

The people, culture and vistas are the Camino.
And the vino tinto!

Just having a destination makes walking more interesting

Wow what pearls of wisdom there is on this forum. Many of your responses have really touched me. Especially the last one about having a destination. That is so true on many levels, especially in life. Having that goal, destination whatever it's called in the situation makes a huge difference. When at home I always end off back where I started....or maybe if I was more aware of what had changed in me after I walked I would see that while physically back where I started, mentally I was somewhere different.

No all I need to do is get some unpaid leave for this. I can't wait until I'm retired for this adventure 😄

Thanks again
Simeon

Boredom.....didn't think I was ever really really bored at home before my first Camino!!
Now....despite walking, swimming, cycling and even joining the gym to keep fit, in the back of my mind, the next Camino is always lurking - "Gotta keep fit for the next Camino - 70 next year - OMG" but there's still plenty more walking in me yet!
Missed out on the VDLP 2019 with my walking partner and will never hear the end of how wonderful it was ......planned Madrid, Primitivo, Salvador last year .....but we all know that story.
All the previous posts sum up what a Camino is to each person which I read with hope in my heart for further visits to Spain.
Buen Camino to you all👣👣👣

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Ah - I feel like I’m on the same page as you @Loretta O'Sullivan

Gotta keep fit for the next Camino -
Definitely..even if my daily steps are just enough to tick ✅ off minimum I’ve set myself. . Once you take that first step, it inspires (me) to move ! as does having this forum to read daily.
Missed out on the VDLP 2019 with my walking partner and will never hear the end of how wonderful it was
I don’t know who your walking buddy was - but agree 100%. I managed a large chunk of Vdlp also in spring 2019. Intention was to complete the unfinished section of sanabrés to sdc in 2020......well , it will happen I know.

with hope in my heart for further visits to Spain.
Hope in our hearts. ♥️♥️♥️ Definitely-
- but tonight Australia issues it’s 2021 budget & the leaks so far infer it’s calculations are based on travel out of here not starting until 2022 ..... — yikes again. I’m hoping there is a flaw in there somewhere —. I’ve still got hope but itchy feet for walking on Spanish paths.
last year .....but we all know that story.
I was lucky to squeeze in a tiny piece of my 2020 camino plan (about 10 days walking out of 6 weeks planned) before the ‘gong ‘ went off and I ‘hightailed’ it home to Oz ASAP. I feel fortunate to have had at least a short camino in 2020.

- so stay prepared! ‘ let’s not get bored’ - continue to venture out daily and absorb the beauty around us wherever we are.

Bored? I don't think I was ever bored, judging by some of the emails I sent home:

'It's a very odd experience, wandering along each day, not knowing where you're going, what you'll eat, who you'll meet, who you'll sleep with, hell, even where you'll sleep . It's very busy, already this albergue is full, and it's 20km to the next town, so good luck to any latecomers. I'm now phoning ahead to book as I don't plan on any haystacks. Much as I'd love a private room, they're often not available. Believe me, I'm not the only one aghast at having to rough it! It's not hard to fill in the day though. 10 to 20km, a coffee break, shower, wash clothes, dinner then bed, and that's the day done. I have no idea if I'm where I should be or not, but I'll panic later if I'm nowhere near Madrid when I have to fly home. Enough rabbiting, the bottle is empty, the sun is shining, there's exploration to be done."

"Everyone is out on the roads before sunrise to beat the heat, and the skies are amazing, it's a wonder I ever get anywhere, I stop to take so many photos. Once again, I'll try to attach a few..... The medieval villages, beautiful colours, interesting people - the Spanish are very sweet, it's common to hear a roar, and see some old man windmilling his arms to put you in reverse, or ask directions only to have someone take you by the arm to lead you somewhere you may or may not want to go....."

"Surprisingly, since it was only one downpour, the trail became an absolute bog, and every boot-full became two. To escape, I headed into the harvested cornfields, which worked fine for a while. Alas, entering and re-entering was not such a good scheme. Navigating a ditch, I lost my balance, and in slow motion, the backpack weight carried me graciously forward, 'til I was standing on my head, naked legs waving in the breeze. Of course there was a suitably appreciative audience."

Bored, who has time to get bored??

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

I have done CF and a partial Tolosana from Arles both were around 4O days or so. There were definite stages of experiences in each. Boredom was never an issue but I was travelling with two very interesting friends. After the body stops complaining, it seems the body’s endorphin levels keep rising and one gets in a daily routine which supports spiritual awareness. Finding accommodations and planning meals keeps one grounded within the body but the daily grind keeps those endorphin levels high. Reading about the history if what you are travelling through and interacting with people as you walk and go through towns keeps interest high.

I too was worried that I’d get bored with the walking. I shouldn’t have worried. The walking became like meditation.
That's exactly what I found on my first Camino (which FB informs me began 6 years ago today with a flight out of LAX). I was really worried about the boredom factor, but it never happened.

Hi Simeon
I have done 4 Caminos all of which have been done in one go. I have never become bored and I have never taken a rest day. I am not opposed to rest days I have just been fortunate in being able to keep going. I took early retirement 10 years ago so have been able to take whatever time I have needed. I have not booked a return flight until arrival in Santiago thereby freeing myself from any time pressure. I have walked long or short days depending on my mood. You tend to criss-cross with other people also walking in one go so there is usually someone to meet up with most days. I hope you do go for it as it is a wonderfully uplifting experience.
Buen Camino
Vince

I walk 4-6 weeks at a time on the Caminos, and am never bored, although I may have a few monotonous moments occasionally.
That said, unfortunately when I walk my local "rail to trail" located a few blocks from my home, I am often bored. I do it anyway for exercise and to be out in nature.
I totally relate to what @simeon is saying about his local walks...but the Camino stimulates all of my senses in new and interesting ways.
I train on "rails to trails" at home too...and it is totally monotonous. I do it because it is the best available, but yeah. Boring.

Boredom was something I did not even remotely experience on my Camino Francis I’m 2017. Joy, wonder, pain, exhaustion, happiness, panic (I got lost one day), satisfaction, mental and physical strength ….and more were experienced but never boredom.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
It can be boring and tedious. If I do too many miles in a day, I get bored of the single, unrelenting activity. Maybe try less distance and fill the rest of the time with sightseeing, sketching, or reading. During the walks I'll often listen to audio books, podcasts, or compose a haiku. With novel scenery I do better so at home I have a city map and mark every street I've walked. I've walked every mile of city streets where I live and 90% of an adjacent town. When that is done I'll move on to another adjacent town. Good luck.

I took early retirement 10 years ago so have been able to take whatever time I have needed. I have not booked a return flight until arrival in Santiago thereby freeing myself from any time pressure.

Oh how wonderful that must be. If only......

When we did the CF one of the sayings was (or words something similar)
"The first week is spent getting you body adjusted,
The second week you need to sort out your mind,
After that you cruise along in pilgrim mode"
This reflects my experience on the CF in autumn and I loved the Meseta, wasn't bored once.

In my younger years I spent a few years in the Army. I still remember some of the cadence songs we sang in basic training while marching. I found my self singing those songs again on the Camino at times. Wondering if Roman troops sang similar on those dull sections. One problem, I felt guilty, many of those tunes are not even close to being politically acceptable.
All services have chants sung to maintain a cadence whether marching or running. A number of them are especially effective when moving up hill. As to the Roman Army there is limited information available though, a fine article by the Roman Military Research Society points out "two songs, namely 'Bacche' (which is a poem by Florus), and 'Urbane', the ribald song (or perhaps songs) quoted by Suetonius as having been sung during Julius Caesar's triumph. Of these, only 'Urbane' is known to have been sung by marching soldiers."
You can find examples of Roman Army marching songs/chants from the movie Ben Hur on YouTube. I actually prefer Enya in my head when walking. I am never bored.

Ben Hur is a great epic film.
When I am walking up steep hills I recall the quote from the children's book I read to my sons from "The Little Train That Could"...
"I think I can, I think I can, I know I can".😃

I was not bored while walking today.

I made it around the block by myself, using crutches only to prevent a fall, 20 days after 2nd knee replacement (the first one was 5 months ago and feels great).

At this point, I dream of being bored while walking miles on legs that have been rebuilt and can take me anywhere I want to go without the pain I lived with for decades.

At this point, I dream of being bored while walking miles on legs that have been rebuilt and can take me anywhere I want to go without the pain I lived with for decades.
Thank you for my lesson of the day! Your words have put in perspective what I normally take for granted. May your legs soon take you wherever you desire by way of your own two feet.🙏

Thank you for my lesson of the day! Your words have put in perspective what I normally take for granted. May your legs soon take you wherever you desire by way of your own two feet.🙏
Thx for the well wishes, CC. The old legs took me places I never dreamed I would see and look forward to all the places my partially prosthetic ones will take me to.

I am motivated during recovery/rehab by planning to walk the Norte/Primitivo during summer of 2022.

I just came in from finishing a bit over 10K, which I try to do most days, pacing back and forth in what is effectively a cloister. It is rarely boring, but if it is, I just have to remember ~

Outside the monastery gates, there is a world coming unravelled, and true suffering: hunger, growing poverty, and the irrational violence of political upheaval. Anyone who is bored at home is welcome to try live down the road from here. I guarantee home will feel a lot less unpleasantly dull after that. Your boredom arises from a sense of safety and 'normalcy.' Treasure that, because it's not guaranteed.

I made it around the block by myself, using crutches only to prevent a fall, 20 days after 2nd knee replacement (the first one was 5 months ago and feels great).
Bravo!
Living up to your forum name, @Phoenix.

The longer you walk, the more of the daily noise drops away and the more you are left alone with your deeper thoughts. For some people that's very healthy, refreshing and healing. For others it's horrifying torture! Some call this "boredom," and they grab for whatever distraction or "entertainment" they can get their hands on, thus annulling the therapeutic silence that makes the Way famous.
This "boredom" might strike on the Camino, just as it strikes at home. When you feel "bored," recognize it as just a feeling. Keep walking. It will pass. The good stuff comes soon after, or so I have found... it is not always easy, but it's incredibly worthwhile.
And once you've learned to move past it, you never have to be bored again.
Could not agree more Rebekah.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

I have a friend who is a Somatic Therapist. He uses what is happening in the body to support clients to tap into issues that are crying out to be heard at that moment. The theory (in my layman's language) is that we ate like hard drives and all the events and happenings are stored somewhere in our bodies. With the right key strokes they can be release ad seen and worked with.

I have found the Camino connects me with what I need to attend to in the moment. My first unlocked 5 fairly traumatic issues and in looking at them and staying with them I was wonderfully liberated. The second was joyful (so was the first despite the description) and affirming. The last was more serious and preparatory for what was ahead for my wife and me as we faced a cancer diagnosis.

The different parts of the Camino may simply be different key strokes. That is how I now see it. I never know what my pilgrimage will elicit from me but each time I listen to what is presenting itself I am richly rewarded. It sure stops me from being bored and fills me with a sense of anticipation and quiet confidence about the journey.

My better half (and I say that advisedly, because he is) has walked with me on quite a few of my treks. He walked with me for the whole of the Norte, from Irun to SDC. So he's given it a fair go. But he has never embraced walking these long distances, he always said he only came for (a) the food and wine and (b) my sake. He does get bored. Now he absolutely refuses to walk. Instead has bought himself a motorbike which he keeps in Europe.

I agree that a certain mind set is necessary for these long walks, but I wonder if certain physical attributes also contribute? I'm definitely slow, a plodder, but have endurance. He is very fast, like a whippet or a greyhound, and tends to rest frequently. I've been told that I speed up going up hills (once I'm fit), and go down slowly. He slows down going up hills (it is the only time I get ahead) but races like a mountain goat down the steepest most difficult slopes.

Last edited:

€83,-
My OT is not a walker, but has several Ebikes and a motorcycle which he enjoys. He joined our sons and myself in Santiago in 2017 and then walked with us between Muxia and Finesterre before renting a vehicle to tour Potugal as a family. He never became enamoured with the Camino after his little "taste" as I hoped he would, but thankfully he has a good attitude about my ongoing passion.
Oh, and I am a plodder like Kanga and although I am slow on the uphills, I scamper down all the hills like a mountain goat, too, making up for lost time.

am motivated during recovery/rehab by planning to walk the Norte/Primitivo during summer of 2022.
My walking partner had total bilateral knees replacements and walked the Norte/Finesterre then the VDLP.
It was miracle after an agonising CF hobbling and struggling in pain on the old knees ( did I say he is an extremely stubborn man!!)....we laugh at the videos of his efforts then and marvel at the new painfree knees.
With motivation and rehab you will achieve this
Buen Camino 👣👣

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
i promise you, you will never be bored! There is always something beautiful and interesting to see! Also, you have your thoughts. They can never be boring! Enjoy!

If walking the Camino or any other long distance walk or hike bores you, you should probably just not do it. Do something else with your time. Not something that bores you. It would make no sense. Have you thought about spending time taking a trip doing something that doesn't bore you? Perhaps a different activity besides a centuries old religious pilgrimage.

If walking the Camino or any other long distance walk or hike bores you, you should probably just not do it.
I'd say the opposite.
Risk boredom, and walk into it!

We've gotten so hooked on hyperstimulation that we can't stand simplicity and quiet. So we tune out and get bored and restless.

The Camino is a superb chance to cut that addiction, and find the joy and peace that comes from a pace of being that's in tune with nature - body, mind and spirit in sync.

I'd say the opposite.

We've gotten so hooked on hyperstimulation that we can't stand simplicity and quiet. So we tune out and get bored and restless.

The Camino is a superb chance to cut that addiction, and find the joy and peace that comes from a pace of being that's in tune with nature - body, mind and spirit in sync.
I agree! Learning not to be bored is a gift.

I also interpret the OP to be asking us if we find after 7 days that we are still fascinated…. OP has done plenty of week-long treks and that’s not a small thing. The point of reference is walking at home which can be tedious (especially now When so many of us have nowhere to go, nothing to see). OP would like to know if the adventure is sustainable as such — and I think that adventure of discovery can be quiet and still remarkable — or if we encounter the same tedium as trudging around the familiar at home.

But what is the saying about never going into the same river twice because both the river and the person have changed? 3 caminos in, I’ve never found its familiarities tedious. And yep, I walked the long, industrial way into Burgos and withstood the stench of the rubber tire factory…. I would not change it, and do not plan to change it if I go SJPdP to Fromista in 2022…. I would not change tumbling into Sahagún through the ugly “back door” (some of my favourite photos of my first camino involve the car parts lot outside Sahagún). And what of the strange furniture stores and appliance shops on the exit from Leon? …or my heavens… the last trudge from the TV station into SdC?

You Know what I mean?

It’s not all beautiful or restful… but it certainly continues to fascinate me. But i promise you, I am not fascinated by the idea of making my way to the ugliest part of the small city I live in and going from there to the airport. Yet it would be almost identical to the approach to Burgos.

Something about camino prevents it from dragging on my last nerve the way that the domestic can.

As I certainly cannot go to Spain this year, perhaps I should try walking the ugly domestic stretch to the airport just to see if I can transport myself mentally to Burgos.

:)

You Know what I mean?
Absolutely.

But i promise you, I am not fascinated by the idea of making my way to the ugliest part of the small city I live in and going from there to the airport. Yet it would be almost identical to the approach to Burgos.

Something about camino prevents it from dragging on my last nerve the way that the domestic can.
Yes, and I bet you're not alone, Faye.
This is fascinating to see - and to investigate. What is that something, and more to the point, where is that something? It's not in the outside. And what would I be without needing it?
The camino shows me that possibility, and the rest is up to me.

I walked the long, industrial way into Burgos,,, I would not change it, and ,.. do not plan to change it if I go SJPdP to Fromista in 2022
;) There's nothing wrong with giving the river route a chance! There is ugliness and tedium to be found there, as well.

The camino shows me that possibility, and the rest is up to me.
Yes, very true. The pandemic has presented that challenge with little opportunity to escape.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I'd say the opposite.

I'm not and never have been hooked on anything hyper, and walk the Camino and do hikes because I simply enjoy it. I've been doing hikes since childhood. If I didn't I wouldn't do it. I'd do something else that I find enjoyable. Not boring.
I figure most people by the time they reach adulthood they know what they like to do. I know I wouldn't enjoy going to a camp/clinic to learn how to play tennis. Nothing against playing tennis, I just have no interest in it and I don't think I could force myself to like it, so I wouldn't sign up for the lessons. Same with the Camino. Don't like to walk several kilometers a day with a pack on your back? Stay home. Let someone else sleep in that albergue bed.

I can never get bored with walking. It is the activities I am doing while I am doing it that I appreciate so much.
I am able to think and explore in a way that no other means of transport allows.
My "grand opus" has been three years in the making now driven (originally) by books and a desire to find out what everyone else has...but I haven't.
My return to Spain will also be a homage to my heritage and a respectful appreciation to St. James who influenced who I am today.

I've come back to this thread several times to read/think about the original post and the reply comments.

A few observations:
- It's okay to be bored. I'm a carpenter and love to create things with my mind and hands working in concert. However, it doesn't mean that some tedious tasks aren't a bit boring. It's just part of the creation process.
- Even before my knee troubles (that have now been repaired), I lived 8 yrs of my life with a brain and body that rarely connected; I was only in my mid-thirties when I became ill. Walking was laborious, and reaching the top of a flight of stairs without help was a victory. I longed to have my normal quick gait again.
- Through great effort and the care of a wonderful spouse and medical caregivers, I was able to make it to "the other side" of illness; my brain found new pathways to allow me to appear to walk normally. So much so that I don't even think about the detours my brain formed to allow me to move at a 5-6 km/hr pace on most long-distance walks/hikes.
- Again, I believe it's okay to be bored while walking. I can only recommend that in those moments of boredom, that you stop briefly and be thankful for the simple yet wondrous gift of being able to walk about this beautiful planet.

Buen Camino

I am able to think and explore in a way that no other means of transport allows.
This is exactly how I feel about walking in general, and totally relates to the visual stimulation the Caminos provide me with their long distances. Your one short sentence says it perfectly.

I've come back to this thread several times to read/think about the original post and the reply comments.

A few observations:
- It's okay to be bored. I'm a carpenter and love to create things with my mind and hands working in concert. However, it doesn't mean that some tedious tasks aren't a bit boring. It's just part of the creation process.
- Even before my knee troubles (that have now been repaired), I lived 8 yrs of my life with a brain and body that rarely connected; I was only in my mid-thirties when I became ill. Walking was laborious, and reaching the top of a flight of stairs without help was a victory. I longed to have my normal quick gait again.
- Through great effort and the care of a wonderful spouse and medical caregivers, I was able to make it to "the other side" of illness; my brain found new pathways to allow me to appear to walk normally. So much so that I don't even think about the detours my brain formed to allow me to move at a 5-6 km/hr pace on most long-distance walks/hikes.
- Again, I believe it's okay to be bored while walking. I can only recommend that in those moments of boredom, that you stop briefly and be thankful for the simple yet wondrous gift of being able to walk about this beautiful planet.

Buen Camino
So many forum members share their stories of overcoming health issues or other adversities in their lives. It often seems that walking Caminos has been a measure of success and victory for them (and you) in their "road" to recovery...all are uplifting to read.

Very true.
And home is no different from the camino in terms of what walking is. That's why I'm as addicted to my 5-10K per day here (in what is essentially a cloister) as I am with walking in Spain. Sure, the Camino is more beautiful, and vastly more entertaining on a bunch of levels...but walking is walking. And if I'm bored I'm simply not paying enough attention.

.but walking is walking. And if I'm bored I'm simply not paying enough attention.
I can't fully agree for myself although I do pay attention on my local "rail to trail". I look for new plants to enjoy as the seasons change, and birds singing, wind, sun, drizzle, cloud formations, etc, but walking is not walking all the same for me...we are all different; one person's perspective not better than another's. I love the Camino, but only "like" local my trail.

Last edited:
I just remember Fats Waller nearly singing “Walking to Santiago” (it scans perfectly). Gets a bit monotonous after the first 300 miles but it’ll get you there without needing to use some of the “salty” songs in the repertoire 😉

Now, ain't that a shame
I'm leavin' here today
You used to be my honey
No use for you to cry
I'll see you bye and bye
New Orleans is my home

If you can't walk to Santiago it sure is a great replacement to walk to New Orleans. I don't know if you have ever been there Tinker but let me tell you it is one of the great American cities. I would put it right behind New York. (I am a native New Yorker so it is high praise). New Orleans is an National Treasure.

NEVER boredom! Usually each walking moment was a juggle amongst the basic realities of topography and weather plus health and pack weight as well as personal strength and ability to endure.
Happily from time to time there were calmer moments for philosophical musing or personal thanksgiving. Rarest of all was the perfect harmony of finding 'my zone'.

Carpe diem!

€83,-

Now, ain't that a shame
I'm leavin' here today
You used to be my honey
No use for you to cry
I'll see you bye and bye
New Orleans is my home

Fats Domino not Waller sung that classic, BTW.😉

When walking with my niblings, we play this mindfulness game to keep them engaged... The 5 senses are sight, sound, smell, touch and taste... So we try to notice all these senses - see 5 things, hear 4 things, smell 3 things etc etc. I find myself doing it when walking on the park on my own now too, it's quite lovely and helps focus on the here and now.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I am now finding that the walking is starting to become a bit boring. I had been hoping to do a full 30 day Camino later in the year but now am wondering will I just become bored with it at some stage? Just wondering do people have this experience or is it just another part the journey?
I think that depends a bit on your own personal reasons for going on Pilgrimage, and what you personally expect to get out if it. Whether, in fact, you want to go on pilgrimage or simply a walking holiday?

For me, the joys of a Camino are seeing places, meeting people, crossing the landscape, eating the food, the different accommodations, companionship - as well as quiet times with my own thoughts. These, just as much as the walking, are what makes it for me. So I find I don't get bored - far from it, in fact, as I find interest in everything I pass and everyone I meet.

€46,-
It used to take me 4 or so days to get into the "groove" of the CF - so Estella onwards I suppose. I've never been one of extensive training prior to a Camino, indeed it's been an effort over the past year to psych myself up to do any kind of walking - Virtual Caminos included - just because there was an element of 'sameness' in the walks.
The main thing, for me at least, is that on the Real Thing you have people to mix with, places to go, restaurants to revisit and memories to relive.
Bored? Nah!
Jeff...I think you nailed this one on the head! The training walks my wife and I complete are, indeed, getting extremely boring, but we take solace in the fact that a point to point walk WILL BE far more varied and interesting than completing the never ending home training circuits. I agree...bored? Nah!!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have just completed my second larger camino stretch, the Via de la Plata, in two seperate years, knowing there would be long slugging hauls days ahead.
In April that first year the first two weeks kept me busy w the changing weather; after that, long hot days with straight as an arrow direction into a bare horizon...
Looking back, I do not remember how I got to the end at the end of the day. My mind has taken snaps at every second (I know that from pictures others took of the road and posted) and every scene along the way, but no memory of the steps I took, I simply flowed along, no memories of the pain , and I know I had some when I had to go to bed.
But my mind started a playlist that I just had to sing along to, no Blutooth needed, anything from Water Music by Händel, to Rolling Stones over Irish and Scottish love songs and ballads.
And podcast long topics, I had to discuss w myself....
From my first Camino I remember after starting in Burgos, I immediatrely started digesting my Cancer treatment 5 yrs earlier and cursed loudly for nobody to hear except the unsuspecting cows for the next three days.
My working life and responsibilty to my wife and family had suppressed any urges to process the event, but like a cork held under water for ever so long, now un-weighed, surfaced.

I have great faith in the way our brain can keep us occupied and will help us clean out our cluttered attics..
One more reason to switch your beloved phone on to FLY mode at most times and only open at a fixed time of day to communicate w your loved ones....

Coming back to something that I wrote back in May of 2021

Just having a destination makes walking more interesting. I have several loops that I do at home for exercise

Since coming home from my Camino trip this year which I couldn't complete due to breaking my arm, I had a really hard time getting back into my walking routine. After having a destination every day it was very depressing to be back to walking in the same circles I had been walking for 2 years in anticipation of being back on the Camino.

I walk my well trodden paths. I greet them as old friends. We reminisce over lost friends and old dogs and when those happy homes full of happy families were green and rolling fields. No regrets.
I’m sure my next Camino will be my swan-song - at least until that Camino when I find myself at Muxia and the boat un-broken.
You’ll walk new roads again amiga, meanwhile be gentle on yourself and those familiar old ways

Last edited:

€83,-
If you are feeling bored then you should cut the way or end the camino. There is no obligation. It isn't a shame at all not to end it!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.