A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

See the full Camino Forum Store here with many more camino products.

Borja makes lemonade out of lemons

peregrina2000

Staff member
A terribly botched restoration of a church painting had become a tourist attraction in the town of Borja. http://www.sj-r.com/news/20160316/spanish-town-looks-to-revive-botched-restored-fresco-success

Apparently 160,000 have come to see this restoration, not sure I understand why, though. The town hopes that adding a museum and interpretation center will bring a steady stream of 30,000 visitors a year to what Dona Cecilia, in her 80s, did to the century old painting of Christ's face.

Though I am kind of at a loss to understand this phenomenon, I certainly do hope it doesn't mean I'll have trouble finding a place to stay this summer on the Camino Castellano-Aragonés. :)

VNwalking

Wandering in big circles
Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
San Olav/CF ('16)
Baztanés/CF ('17)
Ingles ('18)
Vasco/CF/Invierno ('19)
Last edited:

alansykes

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Except the Francés
T
A terribly botched restoration of a church painting had become a tourist attraction in the town of Borja. http://www.sj-r.com/news/20160316/spanish-town-looks-to-revive-botched-restored-fresco-success

Apparently 160,000 have come to see this restoration, not sure I understand why, though. The town hopes that adding a museum and interpretation center will bring a steady stream of 30,000 visitors a year to what Dona Cecilia, in her 80s, did to the century old painting of Christ's face.

Though I am kind of at a loss to understand this phenomenon, I certainly do hope it doesn't mean I'll have trouble finding a place to stay this summer on the Camino Castellano-Aragonés. :)
The curious case of the botched restoration of Borja's Ecce Homo gets stranger, with the premier this evening of an opera based on the story, presumably bringing even more tourists to the town.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/13/arts/music/ecce-homo-fresco-borja-opera.html?_r=0

The fresco was tightly shut up when I walked past last autumn, so I never got to see it. I liked Borja, and its heavy tasty DO wine, but I thought Tarazona, the following day, was a far lovelier town, with its well-preserved judería, handsome basilica, 18th century arcaded plaza de toros and channelled river bisecting the town.

Camino(s) past & future
2002, Toulouse/Aragon 2005, Cami S Jaume/Aragon 2007/9, Mont Saint Michel/Norte/Vadiniense 2011, Norte/Primitivo 2013, Norte/Primitivo 2014. Norte 2015, Cami S Jaume/Castellano-Aragonese 2016
While I agree that Tarazona is a nicer town than Borja, the walk up to the Sanctuario does give you great views. To my mind, it's not a botched restoration, but rather a re-interpretation of the original-- the artist was accomplished and she clearly did this on purpose. Accommodation in Borja is a challenge, but not on account of this painting.

Get on our Mailing list for new products on the Camino Store and news from the Camino Forum

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 54 4.2%
  • April

Votes: 196 15.1%
  • May

Votes: 323 24.9%
  • June

Votes: 94 7.2%
  • July

Votes: 24 1.9%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.1%
  • September

Votes: 373 28.8%
  • October

Votes: 156 12.0%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.3%
  • December

Votes: 7 0.5%
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock