• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Borrow shoes and backpack

Henmar

Time of past OR future Camino
Never tried
Hello,

I am in Spain for a couple of weeks and I’m curious of doing Camino de Santiago. Nevertheless I only have a suitcase and would need to borrow (eventually buying) a backpack and walking shoes. Is that posible somewhere around the starting points of one of the routes?

/Henning

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello,

I am in Spain for a couple of weeks and I’m curious of doing Camino de Santiago. Nevertheless I only have a suitcase and would need to borrow (eventually buying) a backpack and walking shoes. Is that posible somewhere around the starting points of one of the routes?

/Henning
Who do you propose borrowing from? You could spend all your time trying to locate them. I would consider borrowing a backpack if it fits you well, but I'd definitely want my own shoes.
Ho to a Decathlon store. You can find what you need at good prices.

There are enough shops in SJPdP, Pamplona, Burgos or Leon to buy a backpack, probably also for buying shoes though I wouldn't even start to consider that - at least the latter.

You need to break in your shoes before you start walking the Camino, since you'll be probably be walking more kilometers / miles a day plus more days in a row than you're used to. Your shoes need to fit perfectly, you should also check which socks you're going to wear.

Taking care of your feet is the most important, if you want to enjoy your Camino and don't want to suffer consequences like hot spots, blisters or, even worse, an infection.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Like @trecile wrote = Decathlon!
You can save money in different ways but please buy decent footware.

Btw I would never let someone else use my walkingshoes.

Many pilgrims buy shoes (sometime with a better fit!), along the camino. Buy a pack that fits well, and some shoes too. The shoes don't have to be hiking shoes/boots, but make sure they fit!

-- Take the liner out of the shoe you're trying on, and put your foot on it. If your foot overlaps the liner, the shoes are the wrong shape. Try a wider or longer shoe. You should be able to use all your toes while walking! If the liner is longer or wider get a smaller shoe. Room in the toe box is key.

You can mail your suitcase to Casa Ivar in Santiago. :)

That's about all there is to it. Just follow the yellow arrows!

I wish you a buen camino.

If your foot overlaps the liner, the shoes are the wrong shape. Try a wider or longer shoe.
I am curious about how many people and shoes would pass this test (Which I agree seems logical).

I am very fussy about comfortable shoes and almost never wear anything other than sports shoes. I wear about a size larger than I measure and often get the wide version. My feet are somewhat short and wide but nothing extreme. However, I have never had a pair of shoes that would pass this test for width, except crocs.

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
I am curious about how many people and shoes would pass this test (Which I agree seems logical).

I am very fussy about comfortable shoes and almost never wear anything other than sports shoes. I wear about a size larger than I measure and often get the wide version. My feet are somewhat short and wide but nothing extreme. However, I have never had a pair of shoes that would pass this test for width, except crocs.

I think that most people wear shoes that are too narrow for their feet. I use this method to check my scouts for shoe fit before we go for a hike or a backpacking trip. Their teen-age feet are growing quickly and they often have shoes that they've outgrown.

I know I had become accustomed to shoes that "supported" my feet by squashing them, and I didn't use one side of my foot (the outer side) as my little toe was squashed under my foot by the shoe. -- Then came my first camino! I had blisters on one side, then I bandaged, and then I had blisters in other places. I damaged the nail bed on both big toes (toenails fell off months later).

I found out that US women's shoes normal width is a "B", while a Men's normal width is a "D". I find that a men's 8 or 8.5 fit me, and sometimes a women's 9W. But often the women's shoes' toe box is pointy and doesn't work for me. Currently I walk in Teva Kimtah Mens' shoes. They don't make them any more, so I'm not sure what I'll do when they wear out. (Keen perhaps?)

My feet are two sizes bigger than pre-camino size. I have strong feet!!

I agree. But I am still curious if this guideline is really appropriate. Are you saying that your feet don't overlap the inner sole at all?

Ok. I went and checked. I can see the inner sole (liner) all the way around my foot -- The place up near the metatarsals, where my foot is near the inner liner, is a place I sometimes get blisters. This photo is without socks-- and I wear thin liner socks and cushy wool socks usually.

Here are two photosIMG_3407.JPG: IMG_3406.JPG

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
How did you get a picture of my feet???!!!

hey, I trimmed my toe nails before I took that photo! The scary thing is that I can see how my two smallest toes grew squashed, and are permanently tucked in from wearing women's and girls' pointy shoes.

Last edited:
Hello,

/Henning
Hi, Henmar. wish I could lend you my rucksack but I am not in Spain right now! If you want to give a camino a go, you need to get your own shoes. if you are in a city, there will be at least one good outdoor shop where you could try on some shoes, to check fit. Good socks as well. It isn’t easy to suggest what you could do, as you don’t say where you are, but if it is just for a few days, you might manage to walk, bus back, bus next morning, walk and so on. And then - next time, you will know a lot more than you know now! Buen camino.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have never had a pair of shoes that would pass this test for width
Ok. I went and checked
So did I. And I take back my comment, somewhat. Here is my foot, standing on the size 7.5 Wide inner sole from my very comfortable Brooks Ghost 11. (I have just bought my second pair.) You can see that I almost pass the test, but not strictly.
20200222_192520[1] - Copy.jpg

I think that most people wear shoes that are too narrow for their feet. I use this method to check my scouts for shoe fit before we go for a hike or a backpacking trip. Their teen-age feet are growing quickly and they often have shoes that they've outgrown.

I know I had become accustomed to shoes that "supported" my feet by squashing them, and I didn't use one side of my foot (the outer side) as my little toe was squashed under my foot by the shoe. -- Then came my first camino! I had blisters on one side, then I bandaged, and then I had blisters in other places. I damaged the nail bed on both big toes (toenails fell off months later).

I found out that US women's shoes normal width is a "B", while a Men's normal width is a "D". I find that a men's 8 or 8.5 fit me, and sometimes a women's 9W. But often the women's shoes' toe box is pointy and doesn't work for me. Currently I walk in Teva Kimtah Mens' shoes. They don't make them any more, so I'm not sure what I'll do when they wear out. (Keen perhaps?)

My feet are two sizes bigger than pre-camino size. I have strong feet!!
You'll need to try OBOZ...nice wide toe box and narrower heal...on purpose. Go to their site and read all about them. I walked in the Luna and Juniper. A young lady with troubled. wide feet always wore mens and made the switch. Just a suggestion :)

Another vote for visiting a Decathlon shop. They can sell you a pack and shoes at very reasonable prices, and then you can be sure that both fit properly. Shoes in particular are critical, when you're walking day after day it really matters. Modern shoes don't need a lot of wearing in but don't try unless they feel good when you put your feet into them, no tight spots, no pressure points, plenty of room for your toes, heel doesn't slip.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hello,

/Henning
Borrowing a backpack reminds me of friends and relatives that would borrow my suitcases. I paid good money for my suitcases and expected them last for a considerable amount of time. But instead showed their age quickly because others who borrowed them wore them out.

I find that if i get a 38 or 40, depending on style, 'youth' (boys) shoe it fits, is wide enough etc. Id never find a mens small enough in Canada. I think it is about a 7 1/2 womens. Also for hiking do the cross country ski test. I crouch in my boots if my toes hit the top hard or the front at all i try a different size or style. Feet expand and move when walking.

Most read last week in this forum

Hola. While I am familiar with air travel restrictions on knives, I want to read your answers on carrying a small folding knife (Gerber Gear US1, (2.6 inch /6.6 cm blade)) in trains and buses in...
I couldn't find any posts about this topic on the forum (first time that's ever happened) so I thought I'd ask... It always seemed to me that wringing hand-washed clothes never works very well...
Hello. Having done the Portugese Central from Porto a few years ago, we will be doing the Frances from Leon this April. Searching the forums for footwear suggestions, we (wife and I) decided on...
Hi All, I am completing the Camino Ingles in April. I have just bought hiking trainers, as I find walking boots very heavy on my little, old feet. Hpwever, I am worried about conditions, with...
Hello, I will be doing El Camino from Sarria to Santiago this May 13 for the first time. I tend to twist my ankles in uneven surfaces and to easily slip on slippery surfaces. I have some...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.