• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Enjoy Music Without Missing a Step: My Experience with Bose Frames While Hiking

Time of past OR future Camino
Partial Frances (2018)
Full Frances 2022 (May-Jun)
When I'm hiking I prefer not to listen to music. I just prefer to be in touch with my surroundings. However, this past year I got a pair of Bose Frames Sunglasses. The really cool thing about them is the music can be in the background while you can still hear what's going on around you. I still do most of my hiking in silence, but sometimes when I'm on the return leg I'll turn on music. I also use them a lot when hiking on streets and sidewalks as there really isn't anything I want to hear (I can still hear approaching traffic just fine). Although I'd prefer not to bring any electronic gadgets on the Camino, I'm tempted to bring these. Has anyone else used them and do they have any thoughts?

p.s. For anyone not familiar with them, I find the sound quality to be very good.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
When I'm hiking I prefer not to listen to music. I just prefer to be in touch with my surroundings. However, this past year I got a pair of Bose Frames Sunglasses. The really cool thing about them is the music can be in the background while you can still hear what's going on around you. I still do most of my hiking in silence, but sometimes when I'm on the return leg I'll turn on music. I also use them a lot when hiking on streets and sidewalks as there really isn't anything I want to hear (I can still hear approaching traffic just fine). Although I'd prefer not to bring any electronic gadgets on the Camino, I'm tempted to bring these. Has anyone else used them and do they have any thoughts?

p.s. For anyone not familiar with them, I find the sound quality to be very good.
I hear good things about them, but I didn't know that they had different styles. Thanks for the link!

While the other styles may less obtrusive, I think the Tempos are the clear choice. The Tempos have USB-C charging while the others require a special plug. Plus, their battery life is longer.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
These might have similar effect as "bone conduction" headphones - without the sunglasses, fitting around the back of the head. (Edited to correct my comparison.)

I recently got these ones and I love them. I listen mainly to audiobooks and podcasts, only allowing myself to do so when I am walking around home. That motivates me to walk a lot! However, I will probably not take them on the Camino since I don't want that distraction while I'm in Spain, and they are also rather expensive so I don't want to be thinking about them. On the Camino I'll take cheap earbuds for the occasions when I need a bit of inspirational music!

For walking at home, they are excellent - so comfortable and easy to pause or stop.

Last edited:
These appear to be "bone conduction" headphones attached to sunglasses. They are available without the sunglasses part, and fit around the back of the head.

I recently got these ones and I love them. I listen mainly to audiobooks and podcasts, only allowing myself to do so when I am walking around home. That motivates me to walk a lot! However, I will probably not take them on the Camino since I don't want that distraction while I'm in Spain, and they are also rather expensive so I don't want to be thinking about them. On the Camino I'll take cheap earbuds for the occasions when I need a bit of inspirational music!

For walking at home, they are excellent - so comfortable and easy to pause or stop.
They actually have little speakers that fire towards your ears, no bone conduction. They sound surprisingly good for such small speakers. I have AirPods like your earbuds, but they isolate you more. It would be one more thing to keep track of vs. not caring about a pair of cheap sunglasses.

They actually have little speakers that fire towards your ears, no bone conduction. They sound surprisingly good for such small speakers. I have AirPods like your earbuds, but they isolate you more. It would be one more thing to keep track of vs. not caring about a pair of cheap sunglasses.
Thanks for the clarification. I will edit my post. I am still very happy with the bone conduction type, which allow good ambient sound - not isolating like the earbuds.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Hiya, I like to hike and listen also. But this is a long hike! With stretches that I was happy to have my Bose earbuds for music motivation. Also, I used them for sleeping. My small ears don't tolerate many ear plugs so I would listen to sleep stories instead of snorers. I know they are not the same as what you have but I was happy to have my electronic gadgets!!

Won’t people around hear the music too? I think it’s annoying when people listen to music and everybody have to hear the same music 🤷🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️

These might have similar effect as "bone conduction" headphones - without the sunglasses, fitting around the back of the head. (Edited to correct my comparison.)

For walking at home, they are excellent - so comfortable and easy to pause or st
Are these the Aftershocks brand/model you are talking about? I have these as bone conduction also. The newer and more expensive model is connected magnetically for recharging and last 8 hours. The older and less expensive model is connected differently, I believe a "c" connection. These allow for a clear and unobstructed ear canal path allowing you to carry a conversation at normal level and/or listen to music, podcasts, ebooks, etc along with keeping alert to traffic and surroundings.

Bose sound quality is outstanding. I purchased the newer model AfterSkokz bone conduction model. Connection is by using magnets. Lasts 8 hours per charge. Like the Bose sunglasses, the AfterShokz leave the ear canal unobstructed so you can carry a normal conversation at the same time you are listening to your choice of music, ebooks, podcasts, etc. They are especially good if the person wearing them is hard of hearing.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Won’t people around hear the music too? I think it’s annoying when people listen to music and everybody have to hear the same music 🤷🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️
Since they are aimed at the user's ear they are hard for people around you to hear them. If we were next to each other in a quiet office, you would hear them. If you walked past me on the Camino you would not hear them.

I wear Aftershokz when walking. I also use them at my desk when working for hands-free calls. People around me don't hear them, though when I'm in bed with them, my wife can sometimes hear a slight hiss, nothing like earbuds though. I like being able to hear cars coming up behind me when road walking, but I also get to hear the sounds of nature. They are so easy to turn on and off, that I frequently tap them to just immerse myself in the sounds of nature or in my own thoughts. Maybe it's an age thing, but I often go hunting for them only to realise I still have them on my head when they are silent.

I wear Aftershokz when walking. I also use them at my desk when working for hands-free calls. People around me don't hear them, though when I'm in bed with them, my wife can sometimes hear a slight hiss, nothing like earbuds though. I like being able to hear cars coming up behind me when road walking, but I also get to hear the sounds of nature. They are so easy to turn on and off, that I frequently tap them to just immerse myself in the sounds of nature or in my own thoughts. Maybe it's an age thing, but I often go hunting for them only to realise I still have them on my head when they are silent.
It is very similar with the Bose. Very easy to turn on and off and adjust the volume. I use them for biking and rowing as well. It is very reassuring to be able to hear everything around you since your ears are unobstructed.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
It is very similar with the Bose. Very easy to turn on and off and adjust the volume. I use them for biking and rowing as well. It is very reassuring to be able to hear everything around you since your ears are unobstructed.
Yes, I agree with you. I also wear vision glasses, so I opted for the AfterShokz even though I wholeheartedly believe in the Bose quality of sound.

Look cool... but you are right, why to bring one more power thirsty gadget on the Camino?
btw, putting cell phone in the flight mode while walking saves its charge considerably.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have never seen such a gadget but they look interesting. Personally I would stick to your cheap sunglasses that you don't have to worry about misplacing or charging.

I ended up ordering some Aftershokz today. Looking forward to trying them out on a hike this weekend. I like to listen to music or podcasts while hiking alone, so hoping these make it easier to stay aware of my surroundings.

I like Bose, but I figured that I don't always wear sunglasses while hiking. I will report my experiences this weekend.

I ended up ordering some Aftershokz today. Looking forward to trying them out on a hike this weekend. I like to listen to music or podcasts while hiking alone, so hoping these make it easier to stay aware of my surroundings.

I like Bose, but I figured that I don't always wear sunglasses while hiking. I will report my experiences this weekend.
Basically anytime the sun is not up is when sunglasses are not worn. Advantage for the Aftershokz is that the sun need not be up. I am currently walking at night with mine every other night. Bose still has the superior sound quality, though. This is what works for me. Hope you enjoy yours.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

My plan is to take the Aftershokz with me when I walk.

You can buy clear lenses and switch them out as you wish. However, it has never been as easy for me as the instructions make it out to be and I'm always worried I'm going to break something.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.