• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Botafumeiro again

Tulle

Time of past OR future Camino
1999 Burgos-SDC, 2003 Leon-SDC, 2007-2012 Le Puy-SDC, 2014 Burgos-Covarrubias, Camino Ingles 3 times
I understand from other posts that the botafumeiro is not swung regularly, and that a group can pay for it being swung. What about Sunday mass? We will be in Santiago on Sunday 22. When does the mass take place on Sundays? Is there a pilgrim mass every day at 12?
Tulle

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hola Tulle

The Pilgrims' Mass is every day at 12 noon. The Botafumeiro is not used every day or indeed every Sunday. There is no way for you to tell it will be used apart from seeing if it is hanging there - if it is, it will most probably be used.

Best wishes

John

Thank you for your quick answer! We have to hope for the best then :) . I have seen the botafumeiro swing before, but I hope my friends also will have the opportunity to see it! Our little group of four started in Le Puy in 2007, and now we'll soon reach our goal. Can' t wait to be in Santiago again! :D
Tulle

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Today it is swinging at 1040 for the 10 a.m. mass. I may swing again at the Pilgrim Mass, but maybe not!

Aside from the feast days, on average how often do they bring it out? If I'm arriving in late June/early July, what are my chances of seeing it?

Your chances are pretty good. Generally, groups pay for the swinging, and lots of groups arrive in June and July. There are up to 4 masses per day, and it can swing at any of them.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
falcon269 said:
Your chances are pretty good. Generally, groups pay for the swinging, and lots of groups arrive in June and July. There are up to 4 masses per day, and it can swing at any of them.

That's good to know. I'd hate to arrive and have someone say, "Oh, the just swung the Botafumeiro yesterday. It'll be another month before they bring it out again."

There must be something wrong with me.

When I entered the Cathedral in Santiago after my five week walk, the last thing on my mind was the Hollywood Botafumeiro.

My attention was drawn instead to the elderly priests in the confessional booths lining the Cathedral. And I thought to myself: when these men signed onto the priesthood in their strong young manhood five decades ago, promising to forgo wife, children and all the things of this world, did they ever in their wildest dreams foresee a time when their churches would be deserted and their proud cathedrals would be a spectacle for such as us.

The unseeing crowds milled around the Cathedral with no understanding of what they were seeing and,

I dropped to my knees in one of these confessionals and said:

Father, forgive me, for I have sinned…....

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
jeffnd said:
That's good to know. I'd hate to arrive and have someone say, "Oh, the just swung the Botafumeiro yesterday. It'll be another month before they bring it out again."

Every time I've walked in there they were just getting ready to swing it.. Guess I'm lucky.

capecorps said:
There must be something wrong with me.

When I entered the Cathedral in Santiago after my five week walk, the last thing on my mind was the Hollywood Botafumeiro.

My attention was drawn instead to the elderly priests in the confessional booths lining the Cathedral. And I thought to myself: when these men signed onto the priesthood in their strong young manhood five decades ago, promising to forgo wife, children and all the things of this world, did they ever in their wildest dreams foresee a time when their churches would be deserted and their proud cathedrals would be a spectacle for such as us.

The unseeing crowds milled around the Cathedral with no understanding of what they were seeing and,

I dropped to my knees in one of these confessionals and said:

Father, forgive me, for I have sinned…....

Capecorp...not sure why you call the swinging of the botafumiero as a Hollywood event. It was originally done by the church to kill the smells of the unwashed pilgrims. And it also helps today with the smells of some pilgrims! It is a tradition which, to me, is a wonderful and an exciting part of the pilgrims' service. The milling around of people during the service is another thing...especially those who, during the service make the trip up to wrap their arms around the gold statue of St James behind the alter!!! It's distracting!

Tulle said:
I understand from other posts that the botafumeiro is not swung regularly, and that a group can pay for it being swung. What about Sunday mass? We will be in Santiago on Sunday 22. When does the mass take place on Sundays? Is there a pilgrim mass every day at 12?
Tulle

Did you mean Sunday 23? I was there and it was swung. Attending church since returning home has been interesting. The churches in Spain are so beautiful and the remembering the smell of the incense brings me back to that place.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The Botafumeiro has crashed into the crowd, in 1499 and again in 1622.

I wasn't able to attend, but my understanding is no one was hurt.

Bozzie said:
Capecorp...not sure why you call the swinging of the botafumiero as a Hollywood event. It was originally done by the church to kill the smells of the unwashed pilgrims. And it also helps today with the smells of some pilgrims!
Hands up. That's probably me.

Bozzie said:
It is a tradition which, to me, is a wonderful and an exciting part of the pilgrims' service. The milling around of people during the service is another thing...especially those who, during the service make the trip up to wrap their arms around the gold statue of St James behind the alter!!! It's distracting!
Yes, it's amazing! I've said elsewhere on the forum that fortunately they seemed to be clamping down a bit more on photography and noisy tourists when I was there a few weeks ago. Everyone wants to photograph the botafumeiro, but that's pretty much after the service has ended so they don't mind so much or just accept the inevitable.

Buen Camino! :D

Hola Tyrrek,
When we were in the Cathedral in May we entered the Cathedral just at the start of the service. It was very quiet compared to previous experience and others with us commented on the fact. Next day (Asencion Day) we went again, but earlier. About 15 minutes before the service started there was an announcement (in Spanish) asking the tourists to leave as there was a service about to begin. This was then followed by a request for the congregation to remember that this was the house of God and a request for silence before Sister Maria Ascuncion led the singing 'practise'. She then again asked for silence to be kept before the clergy processed in. Impressive and the quieter atmosphere made for a much more meaningful service on both days.

The botofumeiro swung on both these days at the end of the service when folk did take photos, including ourselves. On Pentecost Sunday another year it swung as an early part of the service so taking photos seemed inappropriate. Last year 2011 is the only time we have not seen it swing, but it is the actual Pilgrims Mass that is important rather than the botofumeiro (IMO), impressive though it is.

It was actually the Feast of the Visitation 18 years ago, Pilgrim's Mass and botofumeiro, pilgrim procession etc, that gave us our vision to walk the Camino one day. We had not heard of it before but had gone to visit 'Compostella' as tourists while in N. Spain :) The congregetion was much smaller and quiet way back then.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks Tia! I assumed it would be swung at the same point in every service. When I was there the other week it was after communion and the Bish was just about ready to send us all off in peace when it swang.

They did seem to have security people to clamp down on the photography/noise during the main part of the service, though. Not just the guys in blue cloaks as on previous visits, but real security guards.

Buen Camino!

I was lucky to be able to attend two masses on the 21st October when it was swung. In the 12 0'clock service one of the visiting priests who had helped with the service and communion was filming away with his iphone from the altar along with the throngs of 'smelly' pilgrims ( me included ) in the congregation. Because we chose to use 21st century technology to help us remember this moving moment does not mean we are any less sincere about its significance.

Does someone know how much time the botafumeiro swung for example in 2011?
Is there a site where a botafumeiro calender history can be retrieved?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
365 x 4 = 1460 masses a year
Do you have an idea or a feeling how much time it swings in a year?
I have a feeling after reading a lot of posts, al kind of blogs, reports,... - I could be completely wrong - that it swings average 3 times a week. That makes a chance of 10%.
Do you have another feeling?
I think it's interesting to know how much chance you have to see the botafumeiro in action.

GunnarW said:
365 x 4 = 1460 masses a year
Do you have an idea or a feeling how much time it swings in a year?
I have a feeling after reading a lot of posts, al kind of blogs, reports,... - I could be completely wrong - that it swings average 3 times a week. That makes a chance of 10%.
Do you have another feeling?
I think it's interesting to know how much chance you have to see the botafumeiro in action.

For us 100%, went in and asked, tomorrow @ 1200(1240), yes we were blessed, funny part was we were about 6 rows back & never smelt a thing.

It was very beautiful.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I was lucky to be able to attend two masses on the 21st October when it was swung. In the 12 0'clock service one of the visiting priests who had helped with the service and communion was filming away with his iphone from the altar along with the throngs of 'smelly' pilgrims ( me included ) in the congregation. Because we chose to use 21st century technology to help us remember this moving moment does not mean we are any less sincere about its significance.
I agree with you Tim. The whole experience of the Pilgrim Mass was intensely spiritual, especially with the help of the nun who taught us the sung responses before the service began. Ending with the Botafumeiro was a great thrill. Re-living the experience with family and friends through the photos I took, (no flash!) has also been part of the Camino pilgrimage for me.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It was originally done by the church to kill the smells of the unwashed pilgrims. And it also helps today with the smells of some pilgrims! It is a tradition which, to me, is a wonderful and an exciting part of the pilgrims' service. /QUOTE]

Yes probably a pre Christian method of covering unpleasant odours it was adapted for early Jewish and subsequent Christian worship where it has additional symbolism but in my view is still a pleasant smell doing its original job

More on the latter here:

Most read last week in this forum

I just completed the Camino Fracis. I got to the pilgrim office in time to get my compesela, and had a very positive experience there. I dedicated my camino to a close cousin who recently passed...
It's been 5 years since being in Santiago and my perceptions are stuck in a decade ago. But these days it's so much easier to find good vegetarian and vegan food here. Yesterday I had a wonderful...
Mods: please move this thread to wherever it belongs and/or give me links to threads about this. Thanks! I will be in Santiago on Apr. 28-30. Usually I have stayed at zthe Last Stamp, but they...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.