• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Botafumeiro burner

Kennedy1

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances - May & June 2013
Camino Finisterre and Camino Muxia - June 2013
Does anyone know the current schedule when the burner is used?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I am trying to find out if the butofumerio burner is used anymore at any of the Pilgrim masses. When I last walked the Camino is was used almost everyday at the Pilgrim mass.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
It is used only when someone pays for it ahead of time and on a few holidays. In some previous years, a group of hotels / tourist associations paid for it once a week but not this year, I have heard. Other than the holidays, I don't believe the Cathedral announces when it will be used ahead of time but whoever paid for it might.

BTW, they announce before mass that the use of cameras, videos and cell phones is strictly forbidden but it is a laugh when 99% of the attendees film the botafumeiro swinging. Really? With a million identical versions available on YouTube, people still think it is better to experience this spectacular event through a viewfinder just so that they can relive "their" version. Save yourself the hassle, enjoy it in realtime and show your friends any YouTube version.

Another note from the this past Sunday when it was used at the pilgrim mass: Some wacky tour guide started getting everyone to applaud after the botafumeiro finished swinging. That was classless enough for the main celebrant to not-so-gently scold the congregation in Spanish with "I will take it that the applause was for God and not for the botafumeiro."

The Friday evening flight has started again as a physician from the south of Spain, but born in Galicia has committed to pay for it for two years if I am not mistaken, taking over the Santiago merchants' association.

Other than that it's random, depending on which tourist or other group has payed to see it. Pop your head in before mass and see if the ropes are down. That means it will fly. I have seen it daily when I have been in Santiago.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I was in Santiago de Compostela 3 weeks ago, Saturday to Wednesday- with no scheduled botafumeiro swings supposed to take place. So I didn't expect to see it.

Well, it swung every day I was there at the noon mass. If you walk in the Plaza Obradourio (sp?) in the mornings and see several tour groups - that's a good sign, then look into the Cathedral and see the botafumeiro hanging in front of the altar, that's another good sign. Take a look at the pews at the side of the nave (where you enter the cathedral at the moment) - well, if the front few pews have 'reserved' signs on them, that is yet another good sign because the tour groups you saw earlier will have paid for the botafumeiro to swing.

If the signs are positive, claim your seat around 11am. And wait. And an hour or so later, marvel at the glorious voice of the nun, and the incredible spectacle of the massive incense burner swinging up to the ceiling!
Good luck.

I have only ever seen it fly while sitting in the nave. I imagine it's quite terrifying to sit in the transepts.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
We saw Botafumeiro swing, it was great thing to see, it happened right before the
Final blessing. Benefactors sat near the Altar where bench was provided.
It was Wednesday , there were no Adoration that day. I took the first raw of pews.
Felt my wishes were granted, I thanked our Lord and the benefactor.
Church was packed, was on 4/12/2017. Following day we left Compostela, wishing we will return next year,have new credentials.
CathyK

So, here is a question for thos living in Santiago. It used to be there were no reserved rows for Compostela holders. And then, maybe 2014-5?, thwre were. Bit not any more. What happened.

Nothing like standing on marble floors for hours after walking 1000km when the tourists get a seat, and a view od the engine supposed to clear off your scent. :cool:

Pilgrims happened ;-) The pilgrims office is issuing around 1000-1500+ Compostelas each day at the moment ;-) BC SY

http://www.catedraldesantiago.es/en/node/482

People or groups can donate for a special deployment, but I don't know how you would know when that was scheduled.

It has an email address - botafumeiro@catedraldesantiago.es so you could write and ask?

Thanks - great to know there is in fact a schedule. I may time my next Camino accordingly. I was there for 2 days last week and attended the noon mass on both days, but the botafumeiro didn't swing. I heard subsequently that this was done at the evening mass on my last night in Santiago, and I wasn't there. It is a real shame that my special journey has ended with such a big regret, especially because I have not so far heard any pilgrim say they have been to Santiago without seeing the botafumeiro swing.

I have to say, though, knowing that the botafumeiro is swung for a payment does change how I perceive it. I am not criticising this arrangement, and indeed think it is entirely reasonable, but to my mind it does discount the magical factor, not to mention that when you look up at the botafumeiro you also see all the scaffoldings and coverings while the restoration is being done inside the cathedral at the moment.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
... I have not so far heard any pilgrim say they have been to Santiago without seeing the botafumeiro swing....

I have been several times to Santiago, as a pilgrim, without seeing the botafumeiro in function. Buen Camino, SY

I was indeed WP_20170622_058.jpg surprised to see the botafumiero in action. I had attended the 12 noon mass on Thursday late June, but it was crowded with many tourists milling around during the mass. So I went back for the evening mass and found it was much quieter, more becoming. The mass included presentations to confraternity volunteers and was followed to my surprise and delight by the swinging of the botafumiero. Yes they ask no photos/filming during the mass but were happy enough to allow this for the botafumiero which seems entirely sensible. The mass was a delight and the seeing the botafumiero is a truly awesome and breathtaking experience.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
... Yes they ask no photos/filming during the mass but were happy enough to allow this for the botafumiero which seems entirely sensible.
First, I am very happy for you that you got to see the use of the Botafumeiro. Sincerely happy.

I am curious though... what gave you the impression that "they were happy enough to allow" photos or videos during the use of the Botafumeiro, which I believe is what you are saying? They do specifically ask that cameras not be used during mass and the mass has not ended until several minutes after the Botafumeiro has swung. I would surmise that they are not happy at all, just simmering in the reality that they can not enforce their rule.

In full transparency, I will admit that the first two times that I witnessed the event, I filmed it. The third time I saw it, I was the perfect hypocrite and shook my head and tsk'ed at others who filmed or photographed it. Almost all of the subsequent times I have seen the spectacle, I just ignored the photographers and thoroughly enjoyed the experience a million times more than the first three times. Therefore, I am certainly not in position to cast stones... I am just curious.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
How much does it cost to get the Bontafumeiro Burner to swing?
I thought it was 300€ but I think I saw a post about it being 400€. Hey, those scaffoldings are expensive, and the talented artists working on the restoration deserve a salary.

First, I am very happy for you that you got to see the use of the Botafumeiro. Sincerely happy.

I am curious though... what gave you the impression that "they were happy enough to allow" photos or videos during the use of the Botafumeiro, which I believe is what you are saying? They do specifically ask that cameras not be used during mass and the mass has not ended until several minutes after the Botafumeiro has swung. I would surmise that they are not happy at all, just simmering in the reality that they can not enforce their rule.

In full transparency, I will admit that the first two times that I witnessed the event, I filmed it. The third time I saw it, I was the perfect hypocrite and shook my head and tsk'ed at others who filmed or photographed it. Almost all of the subsequent times I have seen the spectacle, I just ignored the photographers and thoroughly enjoyed the experience a million times more than the first three times. Therefore, I am certainly not in position to cast stones... I am just curious.
Hi Michael
So what happened on this occasion ...i can't comment on others as this was my first time...there was a guy in a high vis vest who came to the mike before the mass and indeed asked that there should be no photos/filming during the mass. The mass was solemnly and joyfully undertaken and the mood was celebratory during the presentations to volunteers at the end. The botafumeiro was lit after the presentations and most people took that as a cue to take out their cameras...in response the high viz guy appeared in front of us and openly and deliberately gestured to people that they could indeed film the bota. ...i had no sense at all that any of us had misread the signal. At the point the bota was brought to rest the session closed. I filmed the bota partly because I wanted to capture and indeed share what for me was an important amazing first experience. If I go again...i do hope so...yes i think I'd be more inclined to watch and absorb.

Attachments

• WP_20170622_067.jpg
    WP_20170622_067.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 7
  • WP_20170622_054.jpg
    WP_20170622_054.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 7
...in response the high viz guy appeared in front of us and openly and deliberately gestured to people that they could indeed film the bota. ...
Hi Steve, I just found out a few weeks ago that the botafumeiro swings at the beginning of some masses, rather than near the end as I had always seen it. I guess there may be times, therefore, when they signal that is okay to film it but all the times I have seen it, they haven't. I'll take your word for it. Peace.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I spoke with security guards at cathedral who advised me that the botafumeioro would swing at 12 mass tomorrow 26 November which I believe is the feast of Christ the King. No guarantees but I thought I would share here. Buen Camino everyone :)

Most read last week in this forum

Does anyone know a good shop I SDC where they have local cheeses, hams and other delicacies to take home?
The Galicia Rail pass is available to anyone who completes the Camino and is awarded the completion certificate. It allows for 3 days of train travel and also discounts to other places you may...
Has anybody recently volunteered at the Pilgrim office for the 15 day timeframe? Where did you stay in Santiago?
For those who are in Santiago 🙏🏻

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.