• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Botafumeiro - Is it worth it?

Diane Borden

Time of past OR future Camino
2017, 2021, and 2022
We were planning on leaving Santiago on the 13th of August, but learned that the Botafumeiro will be on the 15th. We were sad inititially to learn it wasn't a regular occurance. Is it worth sticking around for? Also, does anyone know what time this special mass will be? Because this is a special day, what will Santiago be like in general? Crazy?

Thanks for all of your two cents on this.
:)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
We were planning on leaving Santiago on the 13th of August, but learned that the Botafumeiro will be on the 15th. We were sad inititially to learn it wasn't a regular occurance. Is it worth sticking around for? Also, does anyone know what time this special mass will be? Because this is a special day, what will Santiago be like in general? Crazy?

I find the botafumeiro spectacular. It always makes me tear up, and that's speaking as an athiest. I just wish everyone would stay seated and enjoy it instead of jumping up and holding their iPads over their heads. :rolleyes:

You don't know that it won't fly on the 13th. It's not a regularly scheduled thing these days, but groups often pay to have swung. You could get lucky.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The Pilgrims' Mass is at 12 noon every day including Sunday. There is also a Pilgrims' mass every evening including Sunday.
In August you'd have to be very unlucky indeed not to see the Botafumeiro if you are in the city for a couple of days. August is the busiest month for visitors and often the Botafumeiro is used at two, three or even four masses in the day.
15 August, the Feast of the Assumption, is a major celebration and the city does become very busy.

I hope that this helps.

John

Hi, if you have made it this far, it is well worth hanging around! opinions will vary. when I was there in 2016 (oct) Mass was at 7:30 in the evening but I guess times will vary? One thing to remember is that the Botafumeiro experience is getting harder due to reductions, apparently it is quite expensive. Try catching it on youtube and you will be able to guage how important it might be for you and your Camino. The Cathedral is likely to be full..............do the Camino but don't have any regrets when you get back home like "oh I wish we had stayed behind for the Botafumeira"

Buen Camino...Peter

Yes, it is worthwhile. It is magnificent. Try to ignore the gawping ignoramuses around you and remember that this ritual is for you - someone who has walked a long way, made an extraordinary effort, to be at that mass. It is part of the tradition that has greeted the thousands of people who have walked through the ages to Santiago. And you are one with them.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Is it worth sticking around for?
It is worth it, but maybe not a two-day wait! In the summer, groups pay for it, so you are quite likely to see it. It can swing at any mass, so you can look for it between 9 a.m. and 8 p.m. It swings about 40 minutes into the mass, but they no longer allow people to wander in during mass, so you will have to sit and wait.

I find it interesting and entertaining and I am glad that I have seen it swing (many times) It is pretty cool but IMHO adds only entertainment value to a pilgrimage. I would try to see it but would not stay an extra day just for the botafumeiro. Now Santiago de Compostela, that is worth a few days by itself!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I find it interesting and entertaining and I am glad that I have seen it swing (many times) It is pretty cool but IMHO adds only entertainment value to a pilgrimage. I would try to see it but would not stay an extra day just for the botafumeiro. Now Santiago de Compostela, that is worth a few days by itself!

Yes, and be sure to do the cathedral roof tour!

I feel blessed to have experienced the botafumeiro three days in a row last year and am looking forward to seeing it at least once on our next Camino in October 2017.
I just looked on the Cathedral site and saw this note:

Note: Until further notice Botafumeiro will not work at the 7:30 pm Mass on Fridays.

Does anyone have any further information regarding this?
Thank you

Also very interested to hear any information on whether the Botafumeiro will be in operation this year....

We are planning on finishing our Camino on a Friday to attend the evening Mass for this reason.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Note: Until further notice Botafumeiro will not work at the 7:30 pm Mass on Fridays.

The Botafumeiro (“censer” in Galician) is one of the most famous and popular symbols of the Cathedral of Santiago de Compostela. It is a large thurible that hangs by means of a system of pulleys from the main dome of the Cathedral and swings toward the side naves. It takes eight men to move it, who are known as “tiraboleiros”. It weighs 53 kg and measures 1.50 metres; it hangs from a height of 20 metres and can pick up great speed.

The Botafumeiro is used for liturgical reasons, in the same way as a priest would use a censer at the altar. It operates during the Cathedral's main solemnities during the entrance procession or at the end of the Eucharist. The purpose of this great censer is to symbolise the true attitude of the believer. In the same way that the smoke from the incense rises to the top of the temple's naves, so must the prayers of the pilgrims rise to reach the heart of God. And in the same manner that the aroma of the incense perfumes the entire basilica, so must Christians, with their virtues and the testimony of their lives, impregnate with the good scent of Christ, the society that they live in.

From the Cathedral website.

Diane, your question is relative to whoever asks the question. For many pilgrims it is found to be of great importance. However, for others it has found to have little value. If you are an individual who enjoys cultural events, religious rites, organized spiritual events, etc., then you will find the swinging of the Botafumeiro to be a cherished memory after having seen it. Fundamentally, beauty is found in the eye of the beholder.

If you have time and can afford to stay longer then do so and you will be grateful....if you are the kind of person that will value such a events. However, if you are not such a person you will not find it to be much of a priority to end the Camino. Does this make sense to you?

Last edited:
I haven't seen it. I haven't ever been fumigated anywhere else either.

It is what it is; an inefficient fumigation system for pilgrims from days long gone.

Only you can decide if its worth it.

If I go back to Santiago it won't be on account of a delousing ceremony.

Yngvi is a louse!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

The Botafumeiro (“censer” in Galician) is one of the most famous and popular symbols of the Cathedral of Santiago de Compostela. It is a large thurible that hangs by means of a system of pulleys from the main dome of the Cathedral and swings toward the side naves. It takes eight men to move it, who are known as “tiraboleiros”. It weighs 53 kg and measures 1.50 metres; it hangs from a height of 20 metres and can pick up great speed.

The Botafumeiro is used for liturgical reasons, in the same way as a priest would use a censer at the altar. It operates during the Cathedral's main solemnities during the entrance procession or at the end of the Eucharist. The purpose of this great censer is to symbolise the true attitude of the believer. In the same way that the smoke from the incense rises to the top of the temple's naves, so must the prayers of the pilgrims rise to reach the heart of God. And in the same manner that the aroma of the incense perfumes the entire basilica, so must Christians, with their virtues and the testimony of their lives, impregnate with the good scent of Christ, the society that they live in.

I'm sorry if I'm missing something but I was asking if anyone knew about the Note posted on their website stating until further notice...
I've experienced it multiple times but wondered why it won't swing until further notice.

A commercial and tourist conglomeration was paying to have it swing at the Friday mass. They has stopped paying.
Thank you for the explanation. I had no idea that was why it swung on every Friday.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I doubt that anyone walks the camino because of the botafumeiro but I'll add a resounding yes. Truly spectacular. It can take your breath away, make your heart miss a bit, and impart a sense of wonder, the like of which must have been felt by the generations of pilgrims that came before us. That of course may be because emotions are pretty raw at end of walking 800 kilometres with great people who you know you will never see again. ;-)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Cathedral Roof

Buy : 12.00 €
General Information
The stone rooftops of the Cathedral of Santiago are laid out in a staggered form and they can be visited. They offer spectacular views both of the basilica as of the city of Santiago de Compostela.

This stone heaven gives us a unique opportunity to understand the church’s different construction stages; to have its towers, domes and pinnacles within touching distance and enjoy the unbeatable perspective of the monumental squares. At an altitude of almost 300 metres, 30 metres above Plaza del Obradoiro and with a 360-degree field of view, your eyes wander over the city roofs and disappear into the surrounding hills in an unforgettable view.

Ticket includes guided tour of the Cathedral Roof.

August 13th is a Sunday. The 12:30 Pilgrims' Mass will almost certainly have the Botafumeiro on... Is it worth it? Oh, yes!
It seems my recollection of the Sunday Pilgrims' mass time is incorrect. The website of the Santiago Cathedral says 12:00 not 12:30... Regardless of the precise time, it was very emotional, I do remember that...

I have been lucky enough to have completed four Caminos ending in Santiago . I was able to observe the Botafumeiro every time. There seems to be no reason why or why not it is demonstrated. Regardless it is spectacular and moving every time. God willing I will be there again at the beginning of Oct having completed the Camino Norte
Burn Camino.

Ps. Congrats to Ivar and his wife

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The last time I attended Mass the thurible was swung and when it was brought back down there was a round of applause. Whatever you might think of that, remember there might also be a sudden swarm of iPadders taking photos and making videos.

Try to see the film 'Saint Jacques...La Mecque'. The cathedral sequence is breathtaking.

It was the most emotional part of my camino. 'nuff said.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

The song sung when the botafumeiro is swinging is beautiful. Don't miss it.

Most read last week in this forum

https://inews.co.uk/news/world/tourists-spanish-city-face-backlash-2952834?ito=copy-link_share_article-top the last few seasons I've been walking the VdlP and if this report is only half true...
Hello, I walked the Camino Frances in September/October 2023 and have an opportunity (i.e. time) to do another one this May/June - although I only have ~4 weeks available. I'm thinking Norte...
Hi everyone, Pilgrim House Welcome Center opened on March 4 for the 2024 season. As always, the team would love to meet you (or see you again!) after your Camino. The Camino can be an emotional...
Hi, I am planning to finish my Camino July 20, but I was wondering if it is worth it to instead try to finish to see the holy day on July 25. Is it going to be super crowded on the 25th? I do...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.