• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Botafumeiro out of action for repairs

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
That’s one situation where it’s worth playing it safe, don’t you think?
Absolutely :) The article says that one of the tiraboleiros reported feeling an unusual movement while the botafumeiro was being used. The decision was taken to stop the use of the botafumeiro until the mechanism could be fully inspected and any repair work carried out. A precautionary measure but who would want to do otherwise?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
When I saw the title I thought it would be for longer. Great that it's only for a short time. It truly is awesome (in the proper sense)

Yikes, failing mountings...THAT could cause a very interesting Botafumeiro ceremony!

Better they fix it now. I wonder if they noticed the abnormality while workers were in the dome doing restoration work? They were putting up scaffolding in the general area when I last left, in mid-August.

Please keep this thread updated... In the meantime, you can see the Botafumeiro "fly" on You Tube... Follow this link:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=botafumeiro+santiago+de+compostela

I hope this helps...

We were privileged to see it swing at the noon mass on All Saints Day, 10 days ago. The day after we completed our pilgrimage.

Even getting into the cathedral an hour early, we had to sit on the steps at the exit it was that busy.

What made the service even more special was that a fellow pilgrim we met (who happens to be a priest), took part in the processional and spoke the English sections.

Check out my pic, we really had a prime position. Unfortunately the video file is too big to upload.

Attachments

• 6E61C334-9008-43AB-98FB-D9662368C19F.jpeg
    6E61C334-9008-43AB-98FB-D9662368C19F.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 47
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Without repair I could only imagine, over time, it becoming a missile across the church. Glad they are taking care of it now.

Definitely something you would like to be fully and correctly maintained. Although I do recall reading about it breaking away, but can't recall what damage it did!!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Definitely something you would like to be fully and correctly maintained. Although I do recall reading about it breaking away, but can't recall what damage it did!!

According to Wikipedia there have been a number of accidents over the centuries. The most spectacular seems to have been during a royal visit when it came off the rope and flew straight through the window in the south transept! No reports of any casualties that time though.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Botafumeiro#Accidents

According to Wikipedia there have been a number of accidents over the centuries. The most spectacular seems to have been during a royal visit when it came off the rope and flew straight through the window in the south transept! No reports of any casualties that time though.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Botafumeiro#Accidents
Thanks, that one would appear to be a failure to tie the correct knot! From the original post it appears to be repairs to the mounting (in the ceiling??). Either way its good to know that the Dean of the Cathedral and his maintenance committee are putting those donations to good use!!

Hello folks... I'm sat opposite the Pilgrims office resting my blisters and wondering if the botafumerio is back? Really hoping to see it tonight.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Does anyone know a good shop I SDC where they have local cheeses, hams and other delicacies to take home?
The Galicia Rail pass is available to anyone who completes the Camino and is awarded the completion certificate. It allows for 3 days of train travel and also discounts to other places you may...
Has anybody recently volunteered at the Pilgrim office for the 15 day timeframe? Where did you stay in Santiago?
For those who are in Santiago 🙏🏻

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.