• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Botafumeiro thurible follow-on

William Donovan

Time of past OR future Camino
Is there an admission fee and/or do you have to get a reservation to see the swinging of the
Botafumeiro thurible, or is admission based strictly on first come, first serve?

Thanks.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Is there an admission fee and/or do you have to get a reservation to see the swinging of the
Botafumeiro thurible, or is admission based strictly on first come, first serve?

Thanks.

No admission nor reservation needed. When swung it is during a service in the cathedral.

MM

Yes, no admission fee and no reservation. However, you want to be seated in the transept rather than the long portion of the nave because the Boafumeiro is swung back and forth in the transept. Also, be forewarned that the Botafumeiro is no longer swung during every pilgrim's service. I heard a rumor that paying a fee of 300 euros will guarantee that it is swung. When I checked into the Parador Hotel next to the Cathedral, I asked the desk clerk on how to go about paying the fee for the next day to guarantee that I could see the Botafumeiro swing. The person at the front desk assured me that it would be swung the next day. She left me with the distinct impression that another guest had just paid the fee. And sure enough, it was swung the next day. Hopefully others with exact knowledge of the situation will either confirm or deny the rumor I am not attempting to spread too far.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
If there is a reliable source on paid botafumeiro swingings, the Pilgrim Office would know about it, and they would be able to say when it will be swinging. They do not know, the shop at the Cathedral does not know, and no one in the administrative office seems to want to talk about it. I don't think arrangements can be made the day before. Everything I have heard about the paid swings indicates that it must be arranged days or weeks ahead. Having stayed at the Parador a few times, I think they may have been trying to be more knowledgeable than they really were, knew of a special event, or actually did have a guest who bragged about having paid for it. I am not sure that they will be the best on-going source of information! The youth groups who pay for many swings do not stay at the Parador!

As has been said, the botafumeiro is used on major feasts and every Friday evening at the 7.30pm mass. As Falcon has helpfully posted the feast days are listed on the cathedral website.

Groups and private individuals who wish to book the botafumeiro may do so by contacting the Pilgrims Office which handles all bookings. This needs to be arranged in advance because the staff of the cathedral need to be asked to be on duty. The fee also has to have been received by bank transfer in advance. There is a sliding scale of fees which currently starts at 300 euros for pilgrim or church groups.

The Pilgrims' Office staff are not allowed by the cathedral to publish when the botafumeiro will be used. The theory being that people should be encouraged to attend the Pilgrims' Mass for its own sake rather than for the spectacle. :)

As more pilgrims arrive from May onwards the botafumeiro is used more frequently and may be used at several different masses on the same day. The rule of thumb is that if it is hanging it will be used that day.

The Hotel Association of Santiago has arranged for the botafumeiro to be used every Friday evening.

It is swung during Mass, so you don't need a reservation and there is no admission (other than regret for your sins, I suppose :rolleyes:). Sit in either of the wings (transept) rather than directly in front of the altar for the best view.

I was in Santiago for a total of four days and got to see the botafumeiro swing every time I went to Mass. I actually found the Mass itself to be more moving, especially when they played live chamber music as they did one of the times I was there.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

I just completed the Camino Fracis. I got to the pilgrim office in time to get my compesela, and had a very positive experience there. I dedicated my camino to a close cousin who recently passed...
I'm sure this info has already been shared, but here's an update: the Tuna are still working their magic under the arches in the Praza Obradoiro (facing the catehdral) in the evenings. I was there...
It's been 5 years since being in Santiago and my perceptions are stuck in a decade ago. But these days it's so much easier to find good vegetarian and vegan food here. Yesterday I had a wonderful...
Mods: please move this thread to wherever it belongs and/or give me links to threads about this. Thanks! I will be in Santiago on Apr. 28-30. Usually I have stayed at zthe Last Stamp, but they...
I plan on arriving in SDC on July 23, and stay a day or two. How feasible is it that I will be able to get a seat for the 10:00 Mass on the Feast Day, the 25th? Am I better off attending a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.