• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Botafumeiro Update

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances(12), Portuguese(13), Finisterre(13), Norte
First off THANK YOU to all Groups and Pilgrims that had the Botafumerio swung during the month of May for it was swung 40+ times which is great.
Starting June 1st the cost rose from 450 Euro to 500 Euro and since the Camino is becoming so busy reservations for your special occasion should be made well in advance.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
First off THANK YOU to all Groups and Pilgrims that had the Botafumerio swung during the month of May for it was swung 40+ times which is great.
Starting June 1st the cost rose from 450 Euro to 500 Euro and since the Camino is becoming so busy reservations for your special occasion should be made well in advance.
I do understand that inflation has increased significantly pretty much worldwide: global oil prices; war in Ukraine; post-pandemic increase in demand; shortage of chips etc etc.

Why would the cost of eight blokes tugging on a rope have gone up by 11%?

It’s a rhetorical question really - the answer is probably ‘because it can’.

Just turn up whenever you see a well-appointed tour-group arrive is my advice for seeing the thing swing.

It’s a rhetorical question really
And perhaps a little simplistic. There are lots of associated costs to consider such as maintenance and repairs, cleaning, insurance, security etc.

@Camino Jim, it was very generous of you to pay for the botafumeiro, I hope some of your fellow pilgrims were kind enough to contribute with you, it is a lot for one person to bear the cost.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I do understand that inflation has increased significantly pretty much worldwide: global oil prices; war in Ukraine; post-pandemic increase in demand; shortage of chips etc etc.

Just turn up whenever you see a well-appointed tour-group arrive is my advice for seeing the thing swing.
After completing my CF from SJPP two weeks ago , I stayed three days in Santiago and every day I went to the Mass, hoping and searching for the group who.. (or the Cathedral will swing the BOTAFUMEIRO,..) may need another person , for cost reason to join them , because I wanted to see the BOTAFUMEIRO swinging , and I could not find any group and I was not able to see it in person. I was willing to pay 50 Euros but 450/500 Euros were not in my budget.
I missed to see the swinging of the Smoke Expeller once in a life time event. Buen Camino to every Pilgrims.

I agree … average 1300 -1500 pilgrims arriving everyday … how much has each of us spent from day one to arrive at the Cathedral.. and get our Compostelas ( ok during Corona there was a standstill ..)
I know the security at the entrance needs to be strict but I wonder if a few of the security really realise the trudge heave and panting we undertook to arrive there ( we did not just walk around the block and arrive )….with so much revenue coming in the Botufumeiro ceremony should be gratis .. I love Santiago de Compostela and will keep arriving as long as I can ..and indeed grateful to those who pay Euro 500 for the lucky / fortunate Peregrinos to be there .. at the right time..
Go Further.. Go Higher… Never Stop Walking Peregrino🙏🙏🙏
Captain Bonnie

I agree … average 1300 -1500 pilgrims arriving everyday … how much has each of us spent from day one to arrive at the Cathedral.. and get our Compostelas ( ok during Corona there was a standstill ..)
I know the security at the entrance needs to be strict but I wonder if a few of the security really realise the trudge heave and panting we undertook to arrive there ( we did not just walk around the block and arrive )….with so much revenue coming in the Botufumeiro ceremony should be gratis .. I love Santiago de Compostela and will keep arriving as long as I can ..and indeed grateful to those who pay Euro 500 for the lucky / fortunate Peregrinos to be there .. at the right time..
Go Further.. Go Higher… Never Stop Walking Peregrino🙏🙏🙏
Captain Bonnie
Captain Bonnie ,
My first wish to get to Santiago on the CF from SJPP was without injury and other health issues, and the second was to see the BOTAFUMEIRO swinging, after spending thousands of Euros on the Way to Santiago in France ( 3 days) and Spain (total 46 days ) I was hoping to be lucky to see it swinging , but NO REGRETS . Life goes on , maybe there will be another chance at it to see in person, maybe not. I’m content to complete my Camino. Keep well. Cheers !

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I was sad when it did not swing at the noon mass when I was there last week. And I was a little nonplussed when I heard it was swung at the 7:30 service. But that is just a show—a carnival trick—in comparison to the wonder of walking the CF. Now THAT was the thrill of a lifetime.
Mary, it’s not a show or carnival trick, there is much meaning, and history around it. I am sorry that you missed it and I pray that those in control would post a schedule when it will be swung. To schedule it it must be at least one week in advance Yes the walking of the Camino no matter which one is not only a thrill but a gift of a lifetime that we are able to do it with God in our hearts 🤗

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I was sad when it did not swing at the noon mass when I was there last week. And I was a little nonplussed when I heard it was swung at the 7:30 service. But that is just a show—a carnival trick—in comparison to the wonder of walking the CF. Now THAT was the thrill of a lifetime.
Maryloufrommedison ,
you are absolutely right about the Camino walk, and I agree. But the thrill and joy to complete the walk , a rare gift in life and the BOTAFUMEIRO would have made my Camino almost perfect. Just my take on it. Missed it,

Last edited:
On both of my completed Caminos, via De Plata, to the Via Sanabria over the Galician range to Santiago and Camino Norte, to the Primitivo, which joined Frances at the end to Santiago, I was fortunate to go to both Masses and see the Botafumero be swung. Just an FYI, every feast day it’s swung without any contribution. But you have to know the dates or hit it on a day where some group has paid for the pleasure.
I’ll be returning in July to the Norte, then heading down to check out the Camino Portugues, so I’ll have two chances. Buen Camino to all

I wonder if a few of the security really realise the trudge heave and panting we undertook to arrive there ( we did not just walk around the block and arrive )….with so much revenue coming in the Botufumeiro ceremony should be gratis .. I
How exactly do you equate your trudging, heaving and panting, and the money you spent along the way, (presumably enjoying your camino?) with the cost of the botafumeiro and why would it be a concern of the security guys?

A generous few pay for the privilege of seeing the botafumeiro swing and in doing so, afford almost everyone else the opportunity to see it for nothing. If you've been lucky enough to be one of them, be thankful. However we think of it, we should view it as a privilege and not an entitlement.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Mary, it’s not a show or carnival trick, there is much meaning, and history around it. I am sorry that you missed it and I pray that those in control would post a schedule when it will be swung. To schedule it it must be at least one week in advance Yes the walking of the Camino no matter which one is not only a thrill but a gift of a lifetime that we are able to do it with God in our hearts 🤗
To make a schedule to see the botafumiero would indeed make it an attraction which I believe it certainly is not. Somehow some of us are lucky to witness this magnificent gift but others just are not, no rhyme or reason. I would suggest however, that if you spend more than a day in Santiago you go to as many masses as you can morning noon or night and that would increase your chances as it did for me last October.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
As ani fule no the Boatawotsit is swunged to mask the atmosphere of stinky pilgrims. So: if evry pilgrim stopped having showers or Baths after Sarria then it would be swunged evry day like the clappers just to save the holey joes from chokin on the mucky miasmas…

Meanwhile, respect to those willing to fund the spectacle and to those who pay attention to the religious calendar

Last edited:
As ani fule no the Boatawotsit is swunged to mask the atmosphere of stinky pilgrims. So: if evry pilgrim stopped having showers or Baths after Sarria then it would be swunged evry day like the clappers just to save the holey joes from chokin on the mucky miasmas…

Meanwhile, respect to those willing to fund the spectacle and to those who pay attention to the religious calendar
Hurrah for St Custards! Those who pay for a private swinging must be as utterly wet and a weed as Basil Fotherington-Thomas.

Now; if that doesn’t sort out the Brits from the rest faster than a black-pudding tasting, I don’t know what will.

Down with skool!

Last edited:
Um, I don’t understand…. In the past, I just walked in. I’m seriously missing something here!!!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Um, I don’t understand…. In the past, I just walked in. I’m seriously missing something here!!!
The OP was helpfully reminding us of the procedure for sponsoring or commissioning the swinging of the Botafumeiro. If you have seen it swinging it may be because it was always going to happen or somebody has paid for it as an act of celebration, commemoration, to guarantee it as a highlight of their trip or for some other reason.

Cost of incense, wear and tear on rope etc. now come to €500.

Me too... I have been lucky enough to walk into Santiago twice and both times enjoyed the spectacle of the botafumerio swinging ... no bookings and no cost. Does this mean that I was just lucky to stumble across a private swinging on both occasions? I will be there again in September, wonder what the chances of third time lucky will be??

As already pointed out, @Camino Jim has kindly provided up to date information about the Botafumeiro as he himself had sponsored it recently. The question of cost and procedure is asked from time to time on the forum: so it's € 500 now and you need to contact the Cathedral administration at least one week in advance and by email.

Interesting to know that the Botafumeiro has been in use about 40+ times in May - that means on average more than once per day.

I read on Xacopedia that during the 19th century and during the first decades of the 20th century the Botafumeiro was set in action only on special celebration days, ie on very few occasions during the year.

I've followed the livestream from the Cathedral on numerous occasions recently. When the Archbishop presides at mass, he always mentions the current purpose of the Botafumeiro, he even repeats it in English: a symbol for the transmission of prayers to God. He also mentions the earlier 'purification' function of the Botafumeiro: it is not the supposedly unwashed sweaty pilgrim hordes at mass but the fact that in those far away days pilgrims spent the night on the triforium on the first level (he calls it choir gallery I think). My guess, based on what I've read, is that this was also more symbolic and spiritual than of any practical value.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Me too... I have been lucky enough to walk into Santiago twice and both times enjoyed the spectacle of the botafumerio swinging ... no bookings and no cost. Does this mean that I was just lucky to stumble across a private swinging on both occasions? I will be there again in September, wonder what the chances of third time lucky will be??
So, the average person can’t go into the church and hear the nuns announce the countries that people have come from and see it swing? Really?

So, the average person can’t go into the church and hear the nuns announce the countries that people have come from and see it swing? Really?
sad and pathetic , went three days to Santiago Cathedral mass after completing my first Camino at age 72 from SJPP, hoping luck will strike to see it swinging , but.. how many chances one have in life from afar ? I understand , it is at their discretion to make it swing or not. Disappointed yes, but the spiritual uplifting for completing the Camino will keep me up for a long time, life goes on ! 🇨🇦

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I will be there again in September, wonder what the chances of third time lucky will be??
From the Cathedral site:

The Botafumeiro operates during the following Solemnities:

• The Epiphany: 6 January
  • Resurrection Sunday
  • The Apparition of the Apostle-Clavijo: 23 May
  • Pentecost
  • The Martyrdom of Saint James: 25 July
  • The Assumption of Mary: 15 August
  • All Saints: 1 November
  • Christ the King
  • The Immaculate Conception: 8 December
  • Christmas: 25 December
  • Transfer of the remains of the Apostle: 30 December

So in September, it will swing if someone/a group/organisation etc has paid for it.

No! Where did this assumption come from? This thread is discussing only the swinging of the botafumeiro - something that is done at the end of some masses. The Pilgrim Mass is conducted every day on schedule and is open to the public.
sad and pathetic
:rolleyes: Missing this spectacle in life hardly ranks as sad and pathetic in my view.

Once I let go expecting that things "should" unfold in a certain way (the way I wanted them to of course), a heavy load of angst lifted and the chip on my shoulder started to budge.

If one can't or won't pay to see the Botafumeiro swing, the options are to arrange to visit on a scheduled date or else hope to get lucky to be there when someone else has sponsored it.

If you've walked into Santiago and feel cheated and/or offended that the Botafumeiro did not swing, return to your starting point on the Camino and walk again.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
No! Where did this assumption come from? This thread is discussing only the swinging of the botafumeiro - something that is done at the end of some masses. The Pilgrim Mass is conducted every day on schedule and is open to the public.

:rolleyes: Missing this spectacle in life hardly ranks as sad and pathetic in my view.
Of course you are entitled to your opinion . We all do.

The Botafumeiro operates during the following Solemnities:

This thread is discussing only the swinging of the botafumeiro - something that is done at the end of some masses.
The botafumeiro is swung earlier during the masses listed by @LavanyaLea but at the end of the other masses when it does swing. At the mass we attended I told Peg that they must be saving the botafumeiro for desert.

Missing this spectacle in life hardly ranks as sad and pathetic in my view.
I would have found it massively disappointing though. Before even thinking of walking the camino I would periodically see the botafumeiro being swung in a video (Rick Steves intros?). It was something that I thought I would love to see Only when on the camino did I learn that this happened in Santiago. Then I learned that in addition to the special masses it was also sponsored by some businesses on Fridays (2015). In my case seeing the spectacular was more important than reaching Santiago.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I wonder if anyone trying to "book" the botafumeiro ceremony for their arrival has ever been told "Oh, don't you worry, somebody else has already paid for that date and time."
💰💰💰 😇
No but they do tell you which masses are available and thus those that are not have probably been reserved

Once I let go expecting that things "should" unfold in a certain way (the way I wanted them to of course), a heavy load of angst lifted and the chip on my shoulder started to budge.

If one can't or won't pay to see the Botafumeiro swing, the options are to arrange to visit on a scheduled date or else hope to get lucky to be there when someone else has sponsored it.

If you've walked into Santiago and feel cheated and/or offended that the Botafumeiro did not swing, return to your starting point on the Camino and walk again.
I like your response. The botafumeiro did not swing when I went to the mass. I was sorry not to have the chance to see it, but the chance to walk the full Camino Frances was the gift of a lifetime. Nothing diminishes that.

Open to the public, but twice last week the doors were closed well before the mass because the Cathedral had reached 'capacity' and pilgrims who had planned to attend the mass could not. I suggest if you are in Santiago and plan to attend, be sure you are headed to the 7:30pm mass by 6:00. The same at noon... the Holy Door entrance had also been closed on and off and there was a line clear across the plaza at a stand still waiting for admission.
It may be wise to include at least two full days in Santiago if your schedule allows to increase chances of attending a pilgrim mass or a chance to see the botafumeiro ( though the 7:00am was hardly attended on the three mornings I went ) There were many pilgrims in disbelief and tears that they could not get in.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Please don't treat the Cathedral during Mass as a tourist spot. Whether the botafumeiro swings or not, a religious ceremony is taking place.

Of course, I know most people on the Camino are not walking for religious reasons and I didn't either, for my first Camino. The Camino changed that for me, though. I now appreciate attending Mass as a special grace.

Don't be disappointed that you went to Mass 3, 4 times and never got to see the botafumeiro swing. Count your blessings and give thanks for a completed Camino and for all the unexpected benefits your received. Those are more profound and longer lasting than any botafumeiro swinging overhead.

I never expected to see it swinging. I was just grateful to go to Mass, yet, strangely enough, ended up seeing it 4 out of the 5 times I went to Mass in SdC over 2 Caminos.

Yes, of course I took pictures!!

This is just a request for a kinder perspective.

the Holy Door entrance had also been closed on and off and there was a line clear across the plaza at a stand still waiting for admission. It may be wise to include at least two full days in Santiago if your schedule allows to increase chances of attending a pilgrim mass or a chance to see the botafumeiro ( though the 7:00am was hardly attended on the three mornings I went ) There were many pilgrims in disbelief and tears that they could not get in.
They were in disbelief and tears that they could not get in for mass at 12:00 and at 19:30 I guess because they could have gotten in at 7:30 and at 9:30 without the slightest problem. I’ve frequently followed the livestream from the Cathedral in recent weeks and the Cathedral is far from full at those times.

Also, there is very rarely a long line at the Holy Door. Occasionally, I look at the webcam that shows the Holy Door entrance and I recall only one time recently where I noticed a line of people waiting to enter and it must have been around noon on a Sunday in June or May. Mostly, people arrive and walk straight through.

Arrival numbers of pilgrims registered at the Pilgrims Office are highest on Friday, high on Saturday and Sunday and significantly lower on other days. The same probably applies for the number of Spanish parish groups who travel to Santiago in this Holy Year and other visitors to Santiago who also go to mass at the Cathedral.

They were in disbelief and tears that they could not get in for mass at 12:00 and at 19:30 I guess because they could have gotten in at 7:30 and at 9:30 without the slightest problem. I’ve frequently followed the livestream from the Cathedral in recent weeks and the Cathedral is far from full at those times.

Also, there is very rarely a long line at the Holy Door. Occasionally, I look at the webcam that shows the Holy Door entrance and I recall only one time recently where I noticed a line of people waiting to enter and it must have been around noon on a Sunday in June or May. Mostly, people arrive and walk straight through.

Arrival numbers of pilgrims registered at the Pilgrims Office are highest on Friday, high on Saturday and Sunday and significantly lower on other days. The same probably applies for the number of Spanish parish groups who travel to Santiago in this Holy Year and other visitors to Santiago who also go to mass at the Cathedra

You miss the point of my post. Many many many pilgrims are not walking in to Santiago to catch the 7:30, nor the 9:30 mass if they are walking from any distance. The cathedral was absolutely at capacity and turning people away before noon and before 7:30pm on two of the days last week when I was there. On one intended visit I was at the entry at 10:45am and had lost my mask in getting to the cathedral and ran all the way to my room and back with the mask to find no more were allowed in.
Obviously there are fewer in attendance at the hours you list because the day's pilgrims have not yet arrived. I suggested adding a day or two to the stay in Santiago if attending mass and a chance at seeing the botafumeiro is desired. There are many pilgrims without the luxury of time on their Camino. They arrive at noon or later and are scheduled to leave the following day...not a lot of time in there to get compostela, secure accommodations, eat, clean up, get to mass....So yes, they arrive expecting to get in to one of the remaining masses of the day and it isn't a promise when the cathedral is dealing with necessary capacity rules for COVID safety. ...Yes, disbelief and tears. My point is to make people aware so they can plan accordingly.

Attachments

• tempImage4vTf8B.png
    tempImage4vTf8B.png
    18.6 MB · Views: 14
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
On one intended visit I was at the entry at 10:45am and had lost my mask in getting to the cathedral and ran all the way to my room and back with the mask to find no more were allowed in.
I think the responsibility lies with you to remember your mask, not the cathedral authorities.
They arrive at noon or later and are scheduled to leave the following day...not a lot of time in there to get compostela, secure accommodations, eat, clean up, get to mass...
Again, the responsibility to prioritise time lies with the individual pilgrim.
...Yes, disbelief and tears. My point is to make people aware so they can plan accordingly.
Exactly, plan and allow some flexibility.
This is a busy time, don't expect to arrive late in the day and have everything waiting for you. You can do it early next morning.

. .with so much revenue coming in the Botufumeiro ceremony should be gratis ..
Nothing in life is free and the botafumeiro is no exception. The latest botafumeiro is an antiquity from the 1850s and there's considerable wear and tear because of its astonishing weight (62 kilos unloaded, 162cm tall) it has swang from the gothic structure for centuries, so that needs special reinforcement too. So the silver needs to be repaired, the chains, the structure supporting it, the pulley, the beams, etc. Add to that that that the cathedral just underwent extensive renovatios, the costs must keep climbing. There's many more costs associated to it, I don't know where I read this information but it seemed reasonable.

I'm personally not too worried about missing it; pilgrims don't stink as they used to, and it flying at 70km/hr would put me on alert; there has been accidents.

I'll be just happy I made it safe and sound without all the elements that seem to be compulsory of the camino and that in my opinion make it a bit contrived (the stamps, the compostela, the botafumeiro, etc.) seem like a lot of 'musts' that could prevent me from enjoying the journey.

I’ve frequently followed the livestream from the Cathedral in recent weeks and the Cathedral is far from full at those times.
Please tell me the address of this cam 🙏🏽 I love watching the pilgrims faces when they arrive 🥰

Last edited:
I think the responsibility lies with you to remember your mask, not the cathedral authorities.

Again, the responsibility to prioritise time lies with the individual pilgrim.

Exactly, plan and allow some flexibility.
This is a busy time, don't expect to arrive late in the day and have everything waiting for you. You can do it early next morning.
Not sure why you are seeking to assign fault or blame in my posts. No one said it was the Cathedral's responsibility to keep track of my mask. That's idiotic. The point was the door was open for entry and within 30 minutes closed due to capacity.
Secondly, of course it is the pilgrim's responsibility to prioritize their time. My post simply imparts more information to allow them the ability to plan accordingly.
I believe when a pilgrim posts information on the forum which is as current and factual as four days ago, it should be considered relevant information and not be met with hostile scrutiny.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'm not seeking to assign fault or blame to you in particular, but you yourself did cite running all the way back to your room and back as the reason you didn't get into the cathedral. I'm simply pointing out again that we are each responsible for managing and prioritising our time if we want to avoid being disappointed and I think we both agree on this. There is nothing we can do about the cathedral filling to capacity except to be there early enough if we wish to attend, or we can choose to go in the early morning when this is not an issue.

It's a shame this thread, like many others that start out with good intentions , went off on a tangent and lost focus, but thank you again to the OP.

My main point was trying to say that there are days of the week and times of the day when there is a greater affluence and other days and times when this is not the case. Since I had said earlier that there is rarely a long line at the Holy Door, I had a closer look at the webcams today for the 12:00 Pilgrim Mass. Here's the result:

People are not allowed to enter the Cathedral once Mass has started. A sensible decision in my opinion.
  • 12:30: no queues in front of the Holy Door.
  • 12:55: a queue has formed for the Holy Door similar to the one in the photo posted earlier in the thread. A much larger queue has formed in front of the main entrance to the Cathedral (Praza Praterías).
  • 13:02: Botafumeiro stops swinging
  • 13:04: Archbishop says Podeís ir en paz; some people are already leaving the Cathedral
  • 13:07: security guard removes barrier in front of Holy Door; people who had been waiting for 30 minutes or so start to enter
  • 13:12: main portal at Praterías has also been opened again and people start to enter
  • 13:17: queue in front of Holy Door has dissolved and from then on, no waiting lines, people arrive now and then and walk straight in
  • 13:30: still a queue in front of the Praterías portal but it is moving quickly and it, too, has dissolved by 13:40 and people walk straight in.
If I am not mistaken, the Cathedral can hold about 800 people?

This morning at the 9:30 Pilgrim Mass, btw, the prime seats to the left and right of the Botafumeiro were more than half empty. The Botafumeiro did swing.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
So, last Friday (17.06.) we met with a friend that had just arrived. Then we went to have a few drinks. At around 19:10 we started walking to the cathedral, where there was not much of a queue at the side entrance (havnt checked the holy door). Inside was quite full, so we had to sit on the floor. We enjoyed the mass and at the end of it i could check the flying of the big pot of my bucket list.
It's impressive, but for myself the more impressive things happened on the way towards Santiago.
However, i guess i got lucky.

So, last Friday (17.06.) we met with a friend that had just arrived. Then we went to have a few drinks. At around 19:10 we started walking to the cathedral, where there was not much of a queue at the side entrance (havnt checked the holy door). Inside was quite full, so we had to sit on the floor. We enjoyed the mass and at the end of it i could check the flying of the big pot of my bucket list.
It's impressive, but for myself the more impressive things happened on the way towards Santiago.
However, i guess i got lucky.
Walking the Camino ( from SJPP)at 72 ,in the first week of June 2022, was a gift, once in a life time, nothing could get that spiritual high . For, three days after completing my Camino , went to the mass, just to have a glimpse of the BOTAFUMEIRO, but was not lucky to witness it live. Oh well, Life goes on , every breath I take, will be grateful for completing the Camino. Buen Camino to all.

Last edited:
I love this! Well said! 🤗

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
About waiting lines at the Cathedral of Santiago:

Today is Sunday which, together with Saturday and in particular Friday, is one of the busiest days of the week. I had another look at the webcams. Same as on other days: During the time of the midday mass (12:00-13:00), waiting lines appear with people waiting for entry through the Holy Door on Praza da Quintana and through the main portal on Praza das Praterias. As soon as mass is over and the congregation is filing out of the Cathedral, the security guards remove the barriers and these waiting lines start moving, and they have dissolved within 30-40 minutes.

BTW, judging by the Pilgrims Office's published daily data, June 2022 is a busy month (busier than June 2019 was) but it is not as busy as August 2019 was. And of course, the majority of arrivals are people on fairly short caminos (1 or 2 weeks in total) which is reflected in arrival numbers peaking on the weekend Fri-Sun.

Occasionally, they announce who sponsored the flight of the Botafumeiro. It is usually a parish group or an association from a town in Spain or in Portugal, sometimes even a family, or today a (alumni?) group from the University of San Diego in the USA. These groups can participate in special ways, be it that their accompanying priest is a co-celebrant or that members of the group contribute to the liturgy by singing in a choir or as soloists.

Most read last week in this forum

Does anyone know a good shop I SDC where they have local cheeses, hams and other delicacies to take home?
The Galicia Rail pass is available to anyone who completes the Camino and is awarded the completion certificate. It allows for 3 days of train travel and also discounts to other places you may...
Has anybody recently volunteered at the Pilgrim office for the 15 day timeframe? Where did you stay in Santiago?
For those who are in Santiago 🙏🏻

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.