• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Botafumeiro

fermanagh

I hope to walk from Sarria to Santiago in June and would very much like to see the Botafumeiro in action during Mass in the Cathedral of Santiago de Compostela.
Am I correct in thinking this only happens on Friday's and Holy Days and June 8th is a Holy Day?
We have walked from St Jean Pied de la Porte along the route over the past few years.
We've had a wonderful and enriching experience and hopefully our last part of the Camino Frances in 2014 will be just as rewarding. (we've had some blisters, sore joints and hours of hobbling along too!)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I finished in early Nov on a thurs eve. They swung it that night but only bc someone sponsored it (I'm told).

El Botafumeiro
Botafumeiro1.jpg

El Botafumeiro (“incensario” en gallego) es uno de los símbolos más famosos y populares de la Catedral de Santiago de Compostela. Es un incensario de grandes dimensiones que se mueve desde la cúpula central de la Catedral, desde donde cuelga por un sistema de poleas, hacia las naves laterales. Ocho hombres son necesarios para moverlo, los conocidos “tiraboleiros”, ya que pesa 53 kg. y mide 1,50 metros; está suspendido a una altura de 20 metros y puede alcanzar una gran velocidad.

El Botafumeiro se usa por motivos litúrgicos, del mismo modo que cualquier sacerdote utilizaría un incensario en el altar, y se puede ver los siguientes días de celebración eucarística:

- La Epifanía del Señor: 6 de enero
- Domingo de Resurrección
- La Ascensión del Señor
- La Aparición del Apóstol-Clavijo: 23 de mayo
- Pentecostés
- El Martirio de Santiago: 25 de julio
- La Asunción de María: 15 de agosto
- Todos los Santos: 1 de noviembre
- Cristo Rey
- La Inmaculada Concepción: 8 de diciembre
- Navidad: 25 de Diciembre
- Traslado de los Restos del Apóstol: 30 de diciembre

También puede funcionar el Botafumeiro con ocasión de peregrinaciones que lo hayan solicitado a la Catedral.
Para la reserva del Botafumeiro se debe dirigir al e-mail: botafumeiro@catedraldesantiago.es.
I see nothing free for June unless it is Pentacost.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
They lived up to that commitment in the summer and fall in 2013, but I am not sure if you can count on it for 2014. I checked the webcam a few times in January, and did not see it swinging at 1930.

Thanks Falcon...not the answer I was hoping to hear but the one I needed to hear. I will go with the advice posted in other posts which is to go with the flow with respect to the Botafumeiro swinging. Would really like to see it however will have to be lucky.

When I saw your posting I groaned...I leave Santiago on May 23rd and that will be a day it swings! I may get to see earlier prior to leaving for Finisterre/Muxia. Somewhere I read that groups sponsor the Botafumeiro for 250 euros...would be great if individual pilgrims could sponsor it...at 5 - 10 euros each one could expect to get to the required amount many days.

Guy

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Guy , I hope you can see this post, on June 8 and every Friday at 19:30 you can see the botafumeiro.
Surely there are more days sponsored by other pilgrims, but in principle they don't say, this link can see updated schedules botafumeiro,
http://www.horariosbotafumeiro.com/

Buen camino

Most read last week in this forum

I just completed the Camino Fracis. I got to the pilgrim office in time to get my compesela, and had a very positive experience there. I dedicated my camino to a close cousin who recently passed...
It's been 5 years since being in Santiago and my perceptions are stuck in a decade ago. But these days it's so much easier to find good vegetarian and vegan food here. Yesterday I had a wonderful...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.