Search 57,387 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Camino Magnets
A collection of Camino Fridge Magnets
Original artwork based on your pilgrimage or other travel photos.

Botafumeiro

Helenenn

Past OR future Camino
Hi
Is the botafumeiro been used in the mass please and can anybody tell me how long the midday mass is approx.
Hoping to get mass before I have to head for airport
Tia

Camino Jewellery
A selection of Camino Jewellery
how to successfully prepare for your Camino
This book's focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared.
Past OR future Camino
2012 Lemovicensis + Francés;
2016 Podiensis + CdN + Fisterra;
2018 VdlP + Sanabrés + Muxia/Fisterra
The botafumeiro will be used when someone will pays for it (usually by groups). As far as I know the tariff is 300€.
The mass will last approximately one hour, maybe 10 minutes more, when the botafumeiro will be swung 😌.

Ultreia!

Vacajoe

Traded in my work boots for hiking ones
Past OR future Camino
It also is used on some holy days, but overall it’s not guaranteed. Mass time will also vary depending upon how many parishioners are present receiving Communion. Plan for 90 minutes and you won’t have to be checking your watch or dashing out early. This is a significant religious ceremony and if you can’t attend and be focused for the entire time, perhaps it’s best to not attend.

Helenenn

Past OR future Camino
It also is used on some holy days, but overall it’s not guaranteed. Mass time will also vary depending upon how many parishioners are present receiving Communion. Plan for 90 minutes and you won’t have to be checking your watch or dashing out early. This is a significant religious ceremony and if you can’t attend and be focused for the entire time, perhaps it’s best to not attend.
Ok

Past OR future Camino
Us:Camino Frances, 2015 Me:Catalan/Aragonese, 2019
If someone or some group has paid for the botafumeiro to be swung it will be swung at the end of the mass. If swung for one of the traditional holy days it will be swung earlier (but would you really want to leave a mass early once they have done so?).

Learn how to Get "Camino Ready " 2nd Edition. In English, Spanish, German and Korean
Camino Way Markers
Original Camino Way markers made in bronze. Two models, one from Castilla & Leon and the other from Galicia.

Helenenn

Past OR future Camino
I never said I would leave early. I asked for approx length of mass in order to decide if I should attend or not
Thank you for information

henrythedog

Loved and fed by David
Past OR future Camino
Frances 2017, 2018, 2019, Ingles 2018, (Madrid 2019 partial - retired hurt!) (more planned)
It’s worth watching out for a well-heeled tour group whilst you’re in Santiago. In my experience that’s most likely to result in an unscheduled swinging.

Even as a non-Catholic I attend mass a couple of times whilst I’m there. No harm in making an each-way bet in matters of religion.

Kathar1na

Past OR future Camino
To Santiago and back (roads & paths; Tours; Francés; sea; roads & paths)
@Helenenn, there are currently four daily pilgrims masses but this may change by October. Currently only around 200 people or so are allowed to attend mass at the same time. This, I guess, also diminishes the chances that one or more in this small crowd have paid for seeing the botafumeiro swing.

07:30 h. High Altar. MISA DEL PEREGRINO
09:30 h. High Altar. MISA DEL PEREGRINO
12:00 h. High Altar. MISA DEL PEREGRINO
19:30 h. High Altar. MISA DEL PEREGRINO

The next guaranteed swinging is on 1 November (All Saints), the last guaranteed swinging was on 15 August (Mary Assumption), both during a solemn mass.

http://catedraldesantiago.es/liturgia/#horarios-misas

Helenenn

Past OR future Camino
@Helenenn, there are currently four daily pilgrims masses but this may change by October. Currently only around 200 people or so are allowed to attend mass at the same time. This, I guess, also diminishes the chances that one or more in this small crowd have paid for seeing the botafumeiro swing.

07:30 h. High Altar. MISA DEL PEREGRINO
09:30 h. High Altar. MISA DEL PEREGRINO
12:00 h. High Altar. MISA DEL PEREGRINO
19:30 h. High Altar. MISA DEL PEREGRINO

The next guaranteed swinging is on 1 November (All Saints), the last guaranteed swinging was on 15 August (Mary Assumption), both during a solemn mass.

http://catedraldesantiago.es/liturgia/#horarios-misas
Thank you very much . I can attend the mass at 19.30 but would like to hear the names of the pilgrims read out at the 12.00 mass.
The botafumerio would have been a bonus.
Buen camino

Kathar1na

Past OR future Camino
To Santiago and back (roads & paths; Tours; Francés; sea; roads & paths)
I can attend the mass at 19.30 but would like to hear the names of the pilgrims read out at the 12.00 mass.
Do they read out individual names in the pilgrims mass or numbers of arrivals by country or by nationality or by country of departure or ... ? That would be nearly 1,800 names today (for yesterday's arrivals).

Camino Way Markers
Original Camino Way markers made in bronze. Two models, one from Castilla & Leon and the other from Galicia.
Rent a house in Santiago (1 month minimum)
300m from the cathedral and around the corner from the fresh food market in Santiago. Perfect place to tele commute from (1GB symmetrical connection).

Helenenn

Past OR future Camino
Do they read out individual names in the pilgrims mass or numbers of arrivals by country or by nationality or by country of departure or ... ? That would be nearly 1,800 names today (for yesterday's arrivals).

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210821-104326_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20210821-104326_Google.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 23

SabineP

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
some and then more. see my signature.

Last time I attended it was numbers by nationality. And for the Spanish I believe it was per autonomous region.

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 101 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings
Downloads