• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Botafumeiro

Helenenn

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi
Is the botafumeiro been used in the mass please and can anybody tell me how long the midday mass is approx.
Hoping to get mass before I have to head for airport
Tia

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The botafumeiro will be used when someone will pays for it (usually by groups). As far as I know the tariff is 300€.
The mass will last approximately one hour, maybe 10 minutes more, when the botafumeiro will be swung 😌.

Ultreia!

It also is used on some holy days, but overall it’s not guaranteed. Mass time will also vary depending upon how many parishioners are present receiving Communion. Plan for 90 minutes and you won’t have to be checking your watch or dashing out early. This is a significant religious ceremony and if you can’t attend and be focused for the entire time, perhaps it’s best to not attend.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
It also is used on some holy days, but overall it’s not guaranteed. Mass time will also vary depending upon how many parishioners are present receiving Communion. Plan for 90 minutes and you won’t have to be checking your watch or dashing out early. This is a significant religious ceremony and if you can’t attend and be focused for the entire time, perhaps it’s best to not attend.
Ok

If someone or some group has paid for the botafumeiro to be swung it will be swung at the end of the mass. If swung for one of the traditional holy days it will be swung earlier (but would you really want to leave a mass early once they have done so?).

I never said I would leave early. I asked for approx length of mass in order to decide if I should attend or not
Thank you for information

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
It’s worth watching out for a well-heeled tour group whilst you’re in Santiago. In my experience that’s most likely to result in an unscheduled swinging.

Even as a non-Catholic I attend mass a couple of times whilst I’m there. No harm in making an each-way bet in matters of religion.

@Helenenn, there are currently four daily pilgrims masses but this may change by October. Currently only around 200 people or so are allowed to attend mass at the same time. This, I guess, also diminishes the chances that one or more in this small crowd have paid for seeing the botafumeiro swing.

07:30 h. High Altar. MISA DEL PEREGRINO
09:30 h. High Altar. MISA DEL PEREGRINO
12:00 h. High Altar. MISA DEL PEREGRINO
19:30 h. High Altar. MISA DEL PEREGRINO

The next guaranteed swinging is on 1 November (All Saints), the last guaranteed swinging was on 15 August (Mary Assumption), both during a solemn mass.

http://catedraldesantiago.es/liturgia/#horarios-misas

@Helenenn, there are currently four daily pilgrims masses but this may change by October. Currently only around 200 people or so are allowed to attend mass at the same time. This, I guess, also diminishes the chances that one or more in this small crowd have paid for seeing the botafumeiro swing.

07:30 h. High Altar. MISA DEL PEREGRINO
09:30 h. High Altar. MISA DEL PEREGRINO
12:00 h. High Altar. MISA DEL PEREGRINO
19:30 h. High Altar. MISA DEL PEREGRINO

The next guaranteed swinging is on 1 November (All Saints), the last guaranteed swinging was on 15 August (Mary Assumption), both during a solemn mass.

http://catedraldesantiago.es/liturgia/#horarios-misas
Thank you very much . I can attend the mass at 19.30 but would like to hear the names of the pilgrims read out at the 12.00 mass.
The botafumerio would have been a bonus.
Buen camino

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I can attend the mass at 19.30 but would like to hear the names of the pilgrims read out at the 12.00 mass.
Do they read out individual names in the pilgrims mass or numbers of arrivals by country or by nationality or by country of departure or ... ? That would be nearly 1,800 names today (for yesterday's arrivals).

Do they read out individual names in the pilgrims mass or numbers of arrivals by country or by nationality or by country of departure or ... ? That would be nearly 1,800 names today (for yesterday's arrivals).

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210821-104326_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20210821-104326_Google.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 23

Last time I attended it was numbers by nationality. And for the Spanish I believe it was per autonomous region.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back