• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Botafumeiro

Blanka

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2022
Hello
I know there are few Solemnities in a year when Botafumeiro operates (Christmas, Resurrection Sunday, Pentecost...). Does anybody know if it operates at every Mass on those days?

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
From https://catedraldesantiago.es/en/liturgy/

The Botafumeiro operates during the following Solemnities:

The Epiphany: 6 January
Resurrection Sunday
The Apparition of the Apostle-Clavijo: 23 May
Pentecost
The Martyrdom of Saint James: 25 July
The Assumption of Mary: 15 August
All Saints: 1 November
Christ the King
The Immaculate Conception: 8 December
Christmas: December 25
Transfer of the remains of the Apostle: 30 December

From https://catedraldesantiago.es/en/liturgy/

The Botafumeiro operates during the following Solemnities:

The Epiphany: 6 January
Resurrection Sunday
The Apparition of the Apostle-Clavijo: 23 May
Pentecost
The Martyrdom of Saint James: 25 July
The Assumption of Mary: 15 August
All Saints: 1 November
Christ the King
The Immaculate Conception: 8 December
Christmas: December 25
Transfer of the remains of the Apostle: 30 December
I saw this list before, but there are 4 pilgrim's Masses every day. And if I come to Santiago on Pentecost, will the Botafumeiro operate during all 4 Masses?

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I saw this list before, but there are 4 pilgrim's masses every day. And if I come to Santiago on Pentecost, will the botafumeiro operate during all 4 masses?
You have only a guarantee of the Botafumeiro swinging during the Solemn Mass of the feast day in question, for example this year for Pentecost Sunday:
  • Domingo 5 de junio – Pentecostés. A las 11:40 h. Procesión del cabildo y Misa solemne, presidida por el Arzobispo. Funcionamiento del Botafumeiro.
You will find the list with dates and times on http://catedraldesantiago.es/liturgia but I think only on the Spanish language version of the website. As described above, it starts at 11:40 with a small procession through the Cathedral, followed by the swinging of the Botafumeiro, then start of mass.

I seemed to have lucked out (or perhaps it’s now a more regular occurrence when people organize to have one), but I saw it yesterday (7th Sept) at the 7:30pm mass and was totally not expecting it! Was amazing!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The Cathedral authorities fund the use of the Botafumeiro on the Roman Catholic Holy Days and Solemnity days Rick listed above. At ALL OTHER TIMES, the use of the Botafumeiro is by paid subscription.

The Pilgrim Office handles these requests, scheduling and payment. There is a special e-mail account set up for this purpose. This address is: botafumeiro@catedraldesantiago.es. It is on the Pilgrim Office webpage.

There are a limited number of men available to participate in the Botafumeiro ceremony. Once upon a time, the Cathedral reached over to the adjacent Seminario San Martin Pinario to obtain the needed manpower. from among the seminarians or other religious persons living there. But, times have changed. Nowadays, these secular men must be scheduled in advance and compensated for their efforts. Eight, trained men are required for each incidence of the Botafumeiro ceremony,.

The Botafumeiro ceremony has been part of the Mass at the cathedral for about 1,000 years. The Cathedral authorities have adapted as best they can to the social and economic realities to keep this historical ceremony alive.

Essentially, when a group or individual wants to ensure that the Botafumeiro is used at a Mass that their group plans to attend, they contact the Pilgrim Office well in advance to make the arrangements. I believe that if a group requests and pays for this ceremony, they also receive reserved seating, in one of the side apses adjacent to the altar, to get a good view of the ceremony. I think this accounts for the "reserved" signs I have seen on front-most pews for specific Masses.

I hope this helps. Basically, if you have deep enough pockets and make the arrangements sufficiently far in advance, you can be guaranteed that the Botafumeiro will be used at a Cathedral Mass that you attend.

As it happens, as July and August are months with many, many Spanish and other nationality groups doing Camino, the schedule is relatively packed with paid requests to use the Botafumeiro at many more Masses than usual. this explains most of the anecdotal comments about being able to see the Botafumeiro several days in a row.

I volunteered at the Pilgrim Office this past August and saw this all first-hand.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Last edited:
IMHO, everyone should experience the Botafumeiro ceremony, in person, at least once. After you have that seminal experience, I suggest that viewing the ceremony on You Tube can bring back a flood of memories.

There are thousands of videoed versions of the ceremony to be viewed. I managed to plug-in my iPhone to my huge HDTV, and to watch the Botafumeiro in HDTV quality. Still gives me goose bumps (aka ‘chicken skin’).

Just search for “Botafumeiro, Santiago de Compostela.”

Hope this helps.

Tom

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Arrived in Santiago June 2022 and at that time the posting was that it swung every Friday evening (7:30pm) pilgrim mass, in addition to the listed holy days and any time a group pays for it to swing. I stayed in Santiago for 4 days after finishing the Frances from SJPDP, and it swung at least once every day!!! Saw it multiple times.

I think it costs 300 or so euros and needs to be planned in advance as someone else mentioned. Unfortunately, I did not see it while I was in Santiago last week. They swung it a couple of days before I arrived. Pot luck I guess.

Arrived in Santiago June 2022 and at that time the posting was that it swung every Friday evening (7:30pm) pilgrim mass, in addition to the listed holy days and any time a group pays for it to swing
I don’t understand. Is there a typo and you meant a different year than 2022?

There used to be an arrangement where the hospitality sector of Santiago paid for the Botafumeiro to swing every Friday evening at the 7:30 pm pilgrim mass but that stopped at the end of 2016. Quote from a newspaper:

For several years there was also an agreement between the City Council, the Cathedral, the Chamber of Commerce and the Hotel Association of Santiago that paid for the censer function every Friday evening, but the agreement expired on December 31, 2016 and has not been renewed since then.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Botafumeiro swang at the 10am mass today. Lineups are impossibly long and in the sun though.
I managed a glimpse at it and smell it from the exit door 🤷🏻‍♀️

That'll do for me! Loads of people this weekend, I just saw a procession for San Serrapio!Screenshot_20220911-021718_Gallery.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220911-021600_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220911-021600_Gallery.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 18
Last edited:
I don’t understand. Is there a typo and you meant a different year than 2022?

There used to be an arrangement where the hospitality sector of Santiago paid for the Botafumeiro to swing every Friday evening at the 7:30 pm pilgrim mass but that stopped at the end of 2016. Quote from a newspaper:

For several years there was also an agreement between the City Council, the Cathedral, the Chamber of Commerce and the Hotel Association of Santiago that paid for the censer function every Friday evening, but the agreement expired on December 31, 2016 and has not been renewed since then.
Nope I meant 2022. I was there in June 2022 this summer. It swung Fridays at 7:30 and that's what was told to those of us that asked at the Cathedral. Perhaps things have changed since 2016!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
To the best of my knowledge, the 2022 cost to stage the Botafumeiro ceremony is €450. Confirm this with the Pilgrim Office, as noted in my OP above.

Hope this helps.

Tom

No one has actually answered the OP’s question! 🙄. Let me restate it: on the listed church holy days that it is part of the Mass (Christmas, etc), is it done at EVERY Mass that day?

All reminiscing aside, it’s a valid question and doesn’t require anything but a direct answer of yes or no. 👍

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Doesn't post #4 answer the question?
No, actually. That response referenced “feast” days which in the Catholic faith refer to honoring a particular saint (St James Day on July 25 is a feast day versus Christmas which is a Holy Day). Perhaps the response #4 meant Holy Day rather than feast day (especially since the response provided the example of Pentecost)?

Furthermore, #4 referenced the website that lists the Holy Days it will swing, but NOT if it occurs at all the masses - SPECIFICALLY the question that was asked!

Finally, #4 puts forth an odd sequence of events, placing the swinging prior to Mass when it actually occurs AFTER Mass - specifically, the priest states, “Mass has ended, let us go in peace” to end the holy observance. At this point, the music starts and the incense blessing begins. Originally it would have been prior to Mass, but it was supposedly moved to address the issue of visitors disrupting the service by leaving once it was swung rather than staying for the rest of Mass.

it was supposedly moved to address the issue of visitors disrupting the service by leaving once it was swung rather than staying for the rest of Mass.
Indeed, and there is usually a stampede out of the cathedral immediately after, as if the building was on fire. 'Leaving' would be a polite way of putting it..

Slightly off topic but:

I have observed a similar stampede at Finisterre for the Santiago bus, when anxieties about cutting it too fine to make a flight come to the surface and suddenly all camino love and all lessons supposedly learnt go out the window as it's every man for himself, women too of course, and the ensuing battle of sticks and elbows to get on the bus.. a disappointing sight.

And the same is true at the Pilgrim's Office at times too, when someone's month long, deeply reflective slow pilgrimage across Spain culminates in a barrage of entitlement, because they have commitments and their other life to get back to and their needs matter most. What lessons?

I'm ranting, and I've gone way off topic. I'm sorry, I should stop now, before I offend someone!😂

No, actually. That response referenced “feast” days which in the Catholic faith refer to honoring a particular saint (St James Day on July 25 is a feast day versus Christmas which is a Holy Day). Perhaps the response #4 meant Holy Day rather than feast day (especially since the response provided the example of Pentecost)?
[Edited for correction] The poster in response #4 has educated herself in the meantime. She did mean "feast days". She now knows the difference between Solemnity, Feast, feast day and Holy Day of Obligation. I think it will be easiest to continue to use the term "feast days".

In any case, those who did look at the linked page of the Catedral in Spanish, will know that, on the webpage about liturgia, they distinguish between Misa del Peregrino, Misa Estacional, Misa Capitular, Misa Solemne, and Misa Crismal. There appears to be a connection between the type of mass and the "non-commissioned" (can't think of the correct term; fixed? pre-set?) swinging of the censer.

Finally, #4 puts forth an odd sequence of events, placing the swinging prior to Mass when it actually occurs AFTER Mass - specifically, the priest states, “Mass has ended, let us go in peace” to end the holy observance. At this point, the music starts and the incense blessing begins. Originally it would have been prior to Mass, but it was supposedly moved to address the issue of visitors disrupting the service by leaving once it was swung rather than staying for the rest of Mass.
I recommend that you watch the proceedings the next time the Botafumeiro will swing as announced. This would be 1 November 2022: A las 11:40 h. Procesión del cabildo y Misa estacional, presidida por el Arzobispo. Funcionamiento del Botafumeiro. I have watched several of these masses this year - live broadcast or rather Retransmisión en directo. On each of these special occasions on these special days I observed the same proceedings: 11:40 start of the procession, swinging of the Botafumeiro, then start of mass in the usual way around 12:00. No swinging of the Botafumeiro at the end of mass around 13:00.

For those who don't know: The mass at 9:30, 12:00 and 19:30 is broadcast every day and with excellent sound and image. The mass at 7:30 is not broadcast, apparently their network is not yet switched on so early in the morning.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Indeed, and there is usually a stampede out of the cathedral immediately after, as if the building was on fire. 'Leaving' would be a polite way of putting it..
That was something that shocked me when I observed it for the first few times this year. It can be seen on the CRTVG webcams, not in the live stream of the mass: On these special days with their one special mass, as soon as the Botafumeiro stops swinging and mass starts, for about five to ten minutes, there is a steady stream of people who are weaving their way through the seated congregation and who are leaving the Cathedral through the transept door on the left which is visible on the CRTGV webcams and no doubt through the other doors, too.

:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Finally, #4 puts forth an odd sequence of events, placing the swinging prior to Mass when it actually occurs AFTER Mass - specifically, the priest states, “Mass has ended, let us go in peace” to end the holy observance
As there appears to be some confusion about the sequence of events, I made a recording of the last 10 minutes of the broadcast of the everyday pilgrim mass at noon today, Monday, 12 September 2022. The original file is 1 GB and too large to upload so I had to compress the file which means that sound and image is of a lower quality - a good internet connection may still be needed to view it. One can easily follow the sequence of events: End of last song that accompanies the distribution of the hosts; Silence; Oremos (Let us pray); Announcement that Botafumeiro will swing; Organ music, tiraboleiros, incense; Organ music, hymn to the apostle, swinging; Blessing; En el nombre del Señor, podeís ir en paz (In the name of the Lord, may you go in peace). The End.

I am more than happy to make a recording of the first 10-15 minutes or so of the special mass on a day that is a solemnity in the liturgical calendar of the Cathedral of Santiago so that we all can see the differences for ourselves.

View attachment Misa 2022-09-12.780.mov

Last edited:
I think it will be easiest to continue to use the term "feast days".
Please don’t - it is not accurate and somewhat disrespectful of those of us who are Catholic. Renaming very specific and different types of celebrations into one generic category creates confusion and can generate inaccurate information on what services are offered on a specific day.

But again, to the original question which Kathar1na may be able to answer with her extensive viewing experience: on Holy Days where the church 100% will swing it, does that occur at ALL masses?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Please don’t - it is not accurate and somewhat disrespectful of those of us who are Catholic.
I am sorry to belabor this point. The last thing I want to do is to be disrespectful of Catholics, and I like to use accurate terminology, even in English which is not my native language. Which is why I checked. In several languages even. And everything I've read so far says that the days in the liturgical calendar in the Roman Rite are ranked in order, with the following two highest ranks:
  • Solemnity (Latin: solemnitas)
  • Feast (Latin: festum)
Both categories appear to be feast days.

PS: It's wonderful what you can learn from these threads sometimes. I now know, after careful study, that the Botafumeiro swings only on Solemnities in the Cathedral's own liturgical calendar but not on all Solemnities. And that @Blanka asked the right question 😇.

If I have something to add to this thread I'll be back. Hopefully before Pentecost 2023 😀.

Last edited:
If I have something to add to this thread I'll be back. Hopefully before Pentecost 2023 ☺️.
Today is the 1st of November.

This is marked as a Solemnidad (solemnity) in the liturgical calendar of Spain and hence of the Cathedral of Santiago (see screenshot below). I had set an alarm in my calendar for today and caught the end of the live broadcast of the 7:30 am pilgrim mass this morning. No Botafumeiro was swinging.

This ought to answer the OP's question: The Botafumeiro does not operate at every mass on those days. It will operate for sure at the mass that is listed as such on the Cathedral's website which, for today, means the mass with the procession that starts at 11:40: Martes 1 de noviembre – Todos los Santos. A las 11:40 h. Procesión del cabildo y Misa estacional, presidida por el Arzobispo. Funcionamiento del Botafumeiro.

BTW, the 26th of October was a Fiesta (feast) and the 4th of November is a Memoria (memorial).

Liturgy. F-S-M.jpg

No Botafumeiro was swinging at the 9:30 am pilgrim mass on this 1st of November 2022 either, neither at the beginning nor in the middle nor at the end. There were many empty seats on the pews under the potential flight path of the censer.

This may well be different for a Solemnity like Pentecost 2023 which is was the OP is interested in. There will be many more pilgrims and other visitors in Santiago at the end of May 2023 than at the beginning of November 2022, and there may well be a group, a family or an individual who will sponsor the flight of the Botafumeiro at other masses than the scheduled flight at noon.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I am more than happy to make a recording of the first 10-15 minutes or so of the special mass on a day that is a solemnity in the liturgical calendar of the Cathedral of Santiago so that we all can see the differences for ourselves.
A recording from today, 1 November, from about 11:40 to 11:50 am. The Botafumeiro swings before mass and not at the end. Same comment as in post #23: the original .mov file is 1,5 GB so I reduced the file size which means lower quality of sound and image. I don't remember what the instruments are called that you can hear playing.

At the beginning you see the procession on the left side. The Botafumeiro is set in action at around 11:45 am. This lasts for about five minutes while the procession moves through the aisles of the Cathedral. The following five minutes have been cut from the recording because not much can be seen: the Botafumeiro has stopped and the procession is still moving but out of sight of the camera. The last minute of the recording shows the arrival of the procession at the altar. You can see the baldachin but not the small statue of Saint James itself.
View attachment Botafumeiro 1-Nov.mov

I don't remember what the instruments are called that you can hear playing.
Tsk, tsk, tsk. I should have looked up the name of the instruments that are played on these "scheduled Botafumeiro" days when the swinging is accompanied by their sound and not by singing the rousing Hymn to the Apostle and by organ music. The instrument is called chirimía which is apparently a Spanish term for a type of woodwind instrument similar to an oboe.

This video from a previous such special Botafumeiro day has better sound and also better view of the relic that is being carried through the Cathedral on these occasions. The next such occasion is tomorrow on 20 November 2022, btw, the feast day called Christ The King in their liturgical calendar - always on the last Sunday of November.

Last edited:
The liturgical calendar for 2023 has been published on the Cathedral's website. The Spanish version of the website lists the days and times of Mass when the Botafumeiro will swing as part of the celebration. Note that Ascension is celebrated on Sunday and not on Thursday.
  • Viernes 6 de enero – Solemnidad de la Epifanía del Señor. A las 11:40 h.
    Misa Estacional. Funcionamiento del Botafumeiro.

• Domingo 9 de abril – Domingo de Pascua. A las 11:15 h.
    Misa Solemne de la Resurrección del Señor. Funcionamiento del Botafumeiro.

• Domingo 21 de mayo - Ascensión del Señor. A las 11:40 h.
    Misa solemne. Funcionamiento del Botafumeiro.

• Martes 23 de mayo – Fiesta de Clavijo. A las 19:30 h.
    Misa capitular. Funcionamiento del Botafumeiro.

• Domingo 27 de mayo – Pentecostés. A las 11:40 h.

• Martes 25 de julio – Solemnidad del Apóstol Santiago. A las 10:30 h.
    Misa estacional. Funcionamiento del Botafumeiro.

• Martes 15 de agosto – Solemnidad de la Asunción de la Virgen María. A las 11:40 h.

• Miércoles 1 de noviembre – Todos los Santos. A las 11:40 h.

• Domingo 26 de noviembre – Solemnidad de Cristo Rey. A las 11:40 h.

• Viernes 8 de diciembre – Solemnidad de la Inmaculada Concepción. A las 11:40 h.

• Lunes 25 de diciembre – Natividad del Señor. A las 11:40 h.

• Sábado 30 de diciembre – Festividad de la Traslación del Apóstol Santiago. A las 11:40 h.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The liturgical calendar for 2023 has been published on the Cathedral's website. The Spanish version of the website lists the days and times of Mass when the Botafumeiro will swing as part of the celebration. Note that Ascension is celebrated on Sunday and not on Thursday.
  • Viernes 6 de enero – Solemnidad de la Epifanía del Señor. A las 11:40 h.
    Misa Estacional. Funcionamiento del Botafumeiro.

• Domingo 9 de abril – Domingo de Pascua. A las 11:15 h.
    Misa Solemne de la Resurrección del Señor. Funcionamiento del Botafumeiro.

• Domingo 21 de mayo - Ascensión del Señor. A las 11:40 h.

• Martes 23 de mayo – Fiesta de Clavijo. A las 19:30 h.
    Misa capitular. Funcionamiento del Botafumeiro.

• Domingo 27 de mayo – Pentecostés. A las 11:40 h.

• Martes 25 de julio – Solemnidad del Apóstol Santiago. A las 10:30 h.

• Martes 15 de agosto – Solemnidad de la Asunción de la Virgen María. A las 11:40 h.

• Miércoles 1 de noviembre – Todos los Santos. A las 11:40 h.

• Domingo 26 de noviembre – Solemnidad de Cristo Rey. A las 11:40 h.

• Viernes 8 de diciembre – Solemnidad de la Inmaculada Concepción. A las 11:40 h.

• Lunes 25 de diciembre – Natividad del Señor. A las 11:40 h.

• Sábado 30 de diciembre – Festividad de la Traslación del Apóstol Santiago. A las 11:40 h.
Does one need to make a reservation to attend one of these masses? And if so, how does one go about doing that?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello
I know there are few Solemnities in a year when Botafumeiro operates (Christmas, Resurrection Sunday, Pentecost...). Does anybody know if it operates at every Mass on those days?
I walked the Frances for 33 days but alas , no Botafumeiro so I returned the next year for a holiday in Santiago and four tourist busses had paid to see the event. It was like a show with cameras and cheers ,
I really felt it was wrong?

The Cathedral authorities fund the use of the Botafumeiro on the Roman Catholic Holy Days and Solemnity days Rick listed above. At ALL OTHER TIMES, the use of the Botafumeiro is by paid subscription.

The Pilgrim Office handles these requests, scheduling and payment. There is a special e-mail account set up for this purpose. This address is: botafumeiro@catedraldesantiago.es. It is on the Pilgrim Office webpage.

There are a limited number of men available to participate in the Botafumeiro ceremony. Once upon a time, the Cathedral reached over to the adjacent Seminario San Martin Pinario to obtain the needed manpower. from among the seminarians or other religious persons living there. But, times have changed. Nowadays, these secular men must be scheduled in advance and compensated for their efforts. Eight, trained men are required for each incidence of the Botafumeiro ceremony,.

The Botafumeiro ceremony has been part of the Mass at the cathedral for about 1,000 years. The Cathedral authorities have adapted as best they can to the social and economic realities to keep this historical ceremony alive.

Essentially, when a group or individual wants to ensure that the Botafumeiro is used at a Mass that their group plans to attend, they contact the Pilgrim Office well in advance to make the arrangements. I believe that if a group requests and pays for this ceremony, they also receive reserved seating, in one of the side apses adjacent to the altar, to get a good view of the ceremony. I think this accounts for the "reserved" signs I have seen on front-most pews for specific Masses.

I hope this helps. Basically, if you have deep enough pockets and make the arrangements sufficiently far in advance, you can be guaranteed that the Botafumeiro will be used at a Cathedral Mass that you attend.

As it happens, as July and August are months with many, many Spanish and other nationality groups doing Camino, the schedule is relatively packed with paid requests to use the Botafumeiro at many more Masses than usual. this explains most of the anecdotal comments about being able to see the Botafumeiro several days in a row.

I volunteered at the Pilgrim Office this past August and saw this all first-hand.

Hope this helps.

Tom
Hi Tom
Would it be possible to provide the pilgrim office home page?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I think it costs 300 or so euros and needs to be planned in advance as someone else mentioned. Unfortunately, I did not see it while I was in Santiago last week. They swung it a couple of days before I arrived. Pot luck I guess.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Hope this helps.

Tom
Do they list dates that it will swing prior to mass?

According to the Cathedral website, (https://catedraldesantiago.es/liturgia/#botafumeiro) these are the dates that the Botafumeiro is used, at Cathedral expense:

Solemnities in which the Botafumeiro works:
  • Epiphany of the Lord: January 6
  • Easter Sunday
  • Ascension of the Lord
  • Appearance of the Apostle-Clavijo: May 23
  • Pentecost
  • Martyrdom of Santiago: July 25
  • Assumption of Mary: August 15
  • All Saints: November 1
  • Christ the King
  • Immaculate Conception: December 8
  • Christmas is on the 25th of December
  • Translation of the Apostle Santiago: December 30.
At all other times, the Botafumeiro is used by subscription - someone offers to pay for it.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Most read last week in this forum

I just completed the Camino Fracis. I got to the pilgrim office in time to get my compesela, and had a very positive experience there. I dedicated my camino to a close cousin who recently passed...
It's been 5 years since being in Santiago and my perceptions are stuck in a decade ago. But these days it's so much easier to find good vegetarian and vegan food here. Yesterday I had a wonderful...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.