• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Both arms of Ingles (so from Ferrol AND A Coruna) - any advice on logistics? Thanks

debbie r

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino de Santiago (2019)
I would like to do both arms of Ingles (so from Ferrol AND A Coruna) - any advice on logistics? Thanks

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Me too! There are earlier posts that advise to walk to from one end to the meeting point, then bus up to the start of the other arm and walk down to SdC, but that seems silly - when walking a pilgrimage, I want to WALK the pilgrimage! It looks like you can cut “cross-country” higher up before the two arms merge, but I have not done that yet.

My plan is to walk from SdC to Ferrol, then back down the route using the causeway bridge as a bit of a shortcut, then cross over to the A Coruna route before the merge in order to reach the town.

I cover both of them in my blog on the Camino Inglés. I hope you find my info useful. I did the Coruña arm first, then actually did bus from Mesón do Vento (just west of Bruma on the Camino) back to A Coruña, then onward to Ferrol. This is the way you must travel. It is short, easy and the buses run frequently to A Coruña. There are frequent trains and buses from A Coruña to Ferrol, and the stations are right next to one another, so you will find a schedule to suit your needs. Check my day two on the Coruña Arm for more info.

I would highly recommend a stay in A Coruña, before, after or in-between, as it is a lovely seaside town with lots to see, and I did I say beach??? You will not be disappointed.

I am not sure @Vacajoe which "causeway bridge" you are referring to for your shortcut. The highway across the Ferrol estuary is not recommended as a shortcut, and I could find no access for pedestrians both times I walked it. Also, the arm from A Coruña to Bruma is steep, so be prepared! We were very, very glad we did this in two days, not one.

Have a wonderful trip and Ultreia!
Elle

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Whilst I can see what you mean about just walking I am time constrained so if there is a bus I would be interested in that - I’ll read the threads below...
when are you going? Hope you
I cover both of them in my blog on the Camino Inglés. I hope you find my info useful. I did the Coruña arm first, then actually did bus from Mesón do Vento (just west of Bruma on the Camino) back to A Coruña, then onward to Ferrol. This is the way you must travel. It is short, easy and the buses run frequently to A Coruña. There are frequent trains and buses from A Coruña to Ferrol, and the stations are right next to one another, so you will find a schedule to suit your needs. Check my day two on the Coruña Arm for more info.

I would highly recommend a stay in A Coruña, before, after or in-between, as it is a lovely seaside town with lots to see, and I did I say beach??? You will not be disappointed.

I am not sure @Vacajoe which "causeway bridge" you are referring to for your shortcut. The highway across the Ferrol estuary is not recommended as a shortcut, and I could find no access for pedestrians both times I walked it. Also, the arm from A Coruña to Bruma is steep, so be prepared! We were very, very glad we did this in two days, not one.

Have a wonderful trip and Ultreia!
Elle

Dear Ellie - your blog is AMAZING- Thankyou. I will be traveling alone so wonderful to have such detailed info - will buy PDF nearer the time. Will also try to spend a day at A Coruna - depends a bit on hubby who is doing Frances which he had to abandon last year. Thanks again. Buen Camino on any future walks x

The only (and quite important) is relative to the shoes. I would highly recommend to use road running shoes, no boots, no trail running. Go for light shoes.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Any way you do it (bus, walk, etc), make it your own and enjoy your journey! 👍. I’m reverse-walking out of SdC on Easter Sunday.

Any way you do it (bus, walk, etc), make it your own and enjoy your journey! 👍. I’m reverse-walking out of SdC on Easter Sunday.
I will! - buen Camino! I will be starting roughly when you finish - have a great time.

The “causeway” I was referring to is Ponte Das Pías - is it no longer open to pedestrians? At one time it had walkways on each side separated from the vehicular traffic.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Vacajoe, does this "reverse" route have waymarkers out of SDC?
I could well be wrong and assume nay in terms of scallops or signage ...
so wondering what your strategy may be?

I reverse-walked the Aragon Valley route last year and it wasn’t as hard as I thought it would be, despite the fact that that route is poorly waymarked the “regular” way to SdC.

Not having walked the CI, I’m assuming my strategies will work again there: paying attention to what path is well-trodden, looking for pilgrims walking towards me, and utilizing a good mapping app 😎 like maps.me or the Buen Camino app.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I would like to do both arms of Ingles (so from Ferrol AND A Coruna) - any advice on logistics? Thanks

I took the train from Santiago to Ferrol about two years ago. It stopped in A Coruña and then the same train back-tracked a bit and went around the bay to Ferrol. The train ride itself went through some low mountains and was scenic and interesting. I think there were some station stops between A Coruña and Ferrol, but my memory on that is fuzzy and you would have to check the timetable.

Perhaps you could walk south from your first starting point to some station near where the train curves north again and catch a train to your other starting point.

I've been mulling (thinking things over). Long time back in my home harbour there were two ships Captains licensed, at a fee, to take Pilgrims to Spain to make pilgrimage to Santiago. Most of those Pilgrims needed permission from Church or State & sometimes both. Some would have to pay a bond on security of their return from Spain. Captains would often employ guides, or 'heavies' as we'd more likely describe 'em, to ensure that the ship returned to port with the same number of pilgrims it set out with. Penalties for a shortfall could be fierce.

But that's an aside. I've been mulling the Camino Ingles with the thought that true journey is return. So I could make my way to A Coruna and walk to Santiago, make my offices and walk back to A Coruna. OK, so my ship might likely depart from Gatwick rather than home but Gatwick is walkable. In those sailing ship days it might have been A Coruna or Ferrol I'd made landfall, much would have depended on wind and tide, but Santiago would have been where it always is. These days its a doddle to walk from either port, to walk to either port or, to grab train, bus or taxi betwixt and between.

Good luck with your choices.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Debbie,

I think I would probably do it this way to make most of limited time and avoid retracing any part of the route.

If arriving initially in Santiago or A Coruna
  • Santiago by bus to Ferrol or train/bus from A Coruna to Ferrol
  • Walk from Ferrol to Bruma/Meson Do Vento
  • Bus from Meson do Vento to A Coruna (pre-Covid there were regular buses during the day)
  • Walk back along the Coruna leg to Bruma/Meson Do Vento (the two routes meet just before that point at As Travesas)
  • Walk the remaining stages shared by both routes into Santiago
Whatever combination you choose and, when it is possible to walk the Camino again, I wish you a Buen Camino.

For info, here is a link to a route and accommodation Google map

Hi Debbie,

I think I would probably do it this way to make most of limited time and avoid retracing any part of the route.

If arriving initially in Santiago or A Coruna
  • Santiago by bus to Ferrol or train/bus from A Coruna to Ferrol
  • Walk from Ferrol to Bruma/Meson Do Vento
  • Bus from Meson do Vento to A Coruna (pre-Covid there were regular buses during the day)
  • Walk back along the Coruna leg to Bruma/Meson Do Vento (the two routes meet just before that point at As Travesas)
  • Walk the remaining stages shared by both routes into Santiago
Whatever combination you choose and, when it is possible to walk the Camino again, I wish you a Buen Camino.

For info, here is a link to a route and accommodation Google map
Many thanks!

A selection of Camino Jewellery

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back