• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Camino Olvidado Guide created by one of our forum members

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

BP’s Questions about the Olvidado

Bad Pilgrim

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Yes
p.s. Once you walk the Primitivo, you will be ready for more elevation, and then it will be time to turn to the Saiatz alternative of the Vasco or the Olvidado. :)

So... The Olvidado is basically San Salvador x 4 in length? And MORE elevation? Holy cow…

I have planned for the Olvidado this summer... Bur if it's the Salvador 2.0 it scares the bejeezus out of me!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
So... The Olvidado is basically San Salvador x 4 in length? And MORE elevation? Holy cow…

I have planned for the Olvidado this summer... Bur if it's the Salvador 2.0 it scares the bejeezus out of me!
I did not find the Olvidado to be overly difficult it is just less supported than some other Caminos. That said I had no difficulty finding somewhere to stay each night or finding somewhere to eat, although occasionally it needed the kind help of a local person or my Camino angel. I am 65 going on 66 now but reasonably fit so would expect anyone that is reasonably fit to be fine.

I did not find the Olvidado to be overly difficult it is just less supported than some other Caminos. That said I had no difficulty finding somewhere to stay each night or finding somewhere to eat, although occasionally it needed the kind help of a local person or my Camino angel. I am 65 going on 66 now but reasonably fit so would expect anyone that is reasonably fit to be fine.

Ok! When did you walk? I will be there end of June/beginning of July. I hear it is less travelled than other Caminos? How many did you meet along the way?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Ok! When did you walk? I will be there end of June/beginning of July. I hear it is less travelled than other Caminos? How many did you meet along the way?
Hi BP. I started the Olvidado 19 Sep and got to the San Salvador at Buiza on 30 Sept. It is a fantastic route and I had 2 of my best ever camino days on this route. Did not see another peregrino. Details at https://mikesroaming.blogspot.com

Hi BP. I started the Olvidado 19 Sep and got to the San Salvador at Buiza on 30 Sept. It is a fantastic route and I had 2 of my best ever camino days on this route. Did not see another peregrino. Details at https://mikesroaming.blogspot.com

Wow, excellent, your blog. I will have something to do this afternoon then. September? I wonder if more people are walking in June/July… But a quick glance at your posts tell me you veered off to the Salvador? I plan to walk from Bilbao to Ponferrada… It would be so convenient to just start the Invierno from there...

You’re a camino veteran, and have frequently walked long stages, BP. You will have no problem on the Olvidado. The second half, from Aguilar, has about four days of “out there in nowhere” mountain beauty, with some long stages. My comment was more to alert those who like the mountains of the Salvador that they should try the Olvidado. I have translated Ender’s guide into English and the free Camino Olvidado app is also in pretty good shape. I think Mike used it, but I didn’t so I can’t tell you about it. And there are links below this post to blogs from both of my walks on the Olvidado.

I know that this camino is getting a lot of promotion from within Spain, so I would expect that you will see a few Spanish peregrinos if nothing else. I walked the second half (from Aguilar) with @Krimpa last year and we didn’t meet any other pilgrims, but people were much more aware of the Olvidado than the first time I walked it in 2014.

By staying on the Olvidado in Buiza, you will also have one more remote hill/mt day after Pola de Gordón. And by combining this with the Invierno you will have what I think is about as close to perfect as a camino can get! Buen camino, Laurie

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
You’re a camino veteran, and have frequently walked long stages, BP. You will have no problem on the Olvidado. The second half, from Aguilar, has about four days of “out there in nowhere” mountain beauty, with some long stages. My comment was more to alert those who like the mountains of the Salvador that they should try the Olvidado. I have translated Ender’s guide into English and the free Camino Olvidado app is also in pretty good shape. I think Mike used it, but I didn’t so I can’t tell you about it. And there are links below this post to blogs from both of my walks on the Olvidado.

I know that this camino is getting a lot of promotion from within Spain, so I would expect that you will see a few Spanish peregrinos if nothing else. I walked the second half (from Aguilar) with @Krimpa last year and we didn’t meet any other pilgrims, but people were much more aware of the Olvidado than the first time I walked it in 2014.

By staying on the Olvidado in Buiza, you will also have one more remote hill/mt day after Pola de Gordón. And by combining this with the Invierno you will have what I think is about as close to perfect as a camino can get! Buen camino, Laurie

My plan is: Ebro [then bus from Logroño to Bilbao], Olvidado, Invierno and Vía Mariana (Santiago-Muxia à la Sara Dhooma). It's pretty much carved in stone by now. Just about to buy my plane tickets!

It's just that the number of stages for the Ebro and Olvidado, in particular, differ according to the information/web sites. Is it reasonable to walk the Olvidado; Bilbao-Ponferrada in 20 days? I don't want to walk really long stages this time...

My plan is: Ebro [then bus from Logroño to Bilbao], Olvidado, Invierno and Vía Mariana (Santiago-Muxia à la Sara Dhooma). It's pretty much carved in stone by now. Just about to buy my plane tickets!

It's just that the number of stages for the Ebro and Olvidado, in particular, differ according to the information/web sites. Is it reasonable to walk the Olvidado; Bilbao-Ponferrada in 20 days? I don't want to walk really long stages this time...

The first time I walked, it took me 18 days to go from Bilbao to Ponferrada. Only one really long day, Cervera to Guardo (high 30s). But that was before the mountain stages between Guardo and Puente Almuhey and Boñar to Vegacervera were marked. Those new stages are totally unmissable, thy are just gorgeous. That might add another day, so your 20-day idea is totally reasonable.

Where are you starting the Ebro? I took 12 days from the Delta to Gallur, where I got off the Ebro and walked the Castellano-Aragonés. Gronze shows 5 more days from Gallur to Logroño. I took 9 days to go from Gallur to Santo Domingo de Silos, and then three more into Burgos on the San Olav. But that way is a week longer than sticking on the Ebro. So maybe beyond your limit. But the Castellano-Aragonés is really a gorgeous camino. Not trying to derail this thread, just showing you you have a lot of options!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Yeah I read that there are different starting points, I mean if you start at the shore or not (Tortosa?) I don't know. I guess I just start walking from where the bus drops me off in Deltebre…

We took the train from Barcelona down to Amposta and got a cab from there to Riumar — through endless rice fields. The cab driver gave us good introduction to the Battle of the Ebro (not the civil war battle, but the current battle about who gets to use its water — ship it off to cities or leave it for the rice farmers). We got there in late afternoon and took a 8k (?— that’s approximate) circle down to the actual point where it meets the sea. Then the next day we did not go back to that point but headed out of town. Riumar is a curious little place, not somewhere I would want to spend a lot of time. Lots of blocks of apartment buildings that look like they were not built with much care. But I liked the idea of starting right on the ocean, so we took the extra time. Starting in Deltebre will save you about 10-12 kms, so if you walk to San Carles de la Rapita on your first day, you will have a much more manageable day than we did. It was long, flat, kind of a slog, but we enjoyed it. There is a lot of flat on this route!

We took the train from Barcelona down to Amposta and got a cab from there to Riumar — through endless rice fields. The cab driver gave us good introduction to the Battle of the Ebro (not the civil war battle, but the current battle about who gets to use its water — ship it off to cities or leave it for the rice farmers). We got there in late afternoon and took a 8k (?— that’s approximate) circle down to the actual point where it meets the sea. Then the next day we did not go back to that point but headed out of town. Riumar is a curious little place, not somewhere I would want to spend a lot of time. Lots of blocks of apartment buildings that look like they were not built with much care. But I liked the idea of starting right on the ocean, so we took the extra time. Starting in Deltebre will save you about 10-12 kms, so if you walk to San Carles de la Rapita on your first day, you will have a much more manageable day than we did. It was long, flat, kind of a slog, but we enjoyed it. There is a lot of flat on this route!

Wow, I wanna go there right away! :OD Camino info makes my feet pedalling!

Thanks for the input. I think I will stay in Deltebre after all. I mean stay the night, for my beauty sleep, and start walking next morning!

Any direct connection between Barcelona and Deltebre...? Oh I know, I can look it up myself. I know I'm flying to Barcelona, that's for sure.

Between Logroño and Bilbao I guess I have to take the bus? I never heard of a Camino between these cities...

Last edited:
Wow, I wanna go there right away! :OD Camino info makes my feet pedalling!

Thanks for the input. I think I will stay in Deltebre after all. I mean stay the night, for my beauty sleep, and start walking next morning!

Any direct connection between Barcelona and Deltebre...? Oh I know, I can look it up myself. I know I'm flying to Barcelona, that's for sure.

Between Logroño and Bilbao I guess I have to take the bus? I never heard of a Camino between these cities...

The only thing we found was to take a train to Amposta and call the cab, whose number is posted there, to get to Riumar. Rome2Rio suggests that that’s also the case for getting to Deltebre. Looks like train or bus goes only to Amposta. I remember something about buses to Riumar in high season, though.

My blog says that the camino doesn’t actually enter Deltebre, so you will have to have someone point you in the right direction. :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
t the camino doesn’t actually enter Deltebre, so you will have to have someone point you in the right direction. :)

Dang,

I was looking at Gronze that says it starts in Deltebre:

But looking at Mundicamino, you are right: Mundicamino has no mention of Deltebre.

:Oo

I am sure you will love the Olvidado/Invierno I think it is the ideal combination. I had walked the Invierno before so that is why I headed up the San Salvador to the Primitivo.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back